UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
General Tso

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby General Tso » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:34 pm

sibley wrote:
swheat wrote:How could there possibly be a separate library for the LEOP students? They have a few rooms on the 4th floor of one of the buildings

LEOP Resources and Library
The LEOP Academic Resources Center, located on the fourth floor of the newly renovated Snodgrass Hall at 198 McAllister Street, includes conference rooms for small group sessions and student meetings, a lounge/study area, and a kitchenette. The LEOP suite also houses a lending library of textbooks, study aids (flash cards, audio tapes, flash cards on disk, and video tapes), practice exams and sample answers, and student outlines.

Okay dude...if that's your definition of a library. All of that is available to all students at the regular library, except newest edition textbooks (although you can get older edition textbooks at the law library).
Outlines here: --LinkRemoved--
Exams/Answers here: --LinkRemoved--
CALI lessons are also available free of charge to all students. As for other study materials, cheap used copies are easily found on Half.com or Amazon.

I am not sure what the implication was of the earlier discussion, but I hope from my post it is clear that they are not receiving any huge advantages over the rest of the student body.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:43 pm

swheat wrote:
sibley wrote:
swheat wrote:How could there possibly be a separate library for the LEOP students? They have a few rooms on the 4th floor of one of the buildings

The LEOP Academic Resources Center, located on the fourth floor of the newly renovated Snodgrass Hall at 198 McAllister Street, includes conference rooms for small group sessions and student meetings, a lounge/study area, and a kitchenette. The LEOP suite also houses a lending library of textbooks, study aids (flash cards, audio tapes, flash cards on disk, and video tapes), practice exams and sample answers, and student outlines.

Okay dude...if that's your definition of a library. All of that is available to all students at the regular library, except newest edition textbooks (although you can get older edition textbooks at the law library).
CALI lessons are also available free of charge to all students. As for other study materials, cheap used copies are easily found on Half.com or Amazon.

I am not sure what the implication was of the earlier discussion, but I hope from my post it is clear that they are not receiving any huge advantages over the rest of the student body.

1) I am a girl, not a 'dude' as I loosely define it.

2) LEOP library with textbooks = me not having to go to the regular library, where I've heard reports of textbooks being hidden. And yes, that is my definition of a library.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Veritas wrote:
msch0i wrote:
Veritas wrote:I really liked the idea of San Fran when I saw it on the bachelor last night :oops:

:lol:

...I did too -___- Although..I imagine the TL looks a bit different.

<3, prolly just a little

what is a TL?

some guy from my hs won the bachelorette in 2004 or 2005. that was the last time I paid attention to any reality-like tv. I also suck at tls terms.... sorry

totebags

Postby totebags » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:48 pm

sibley wrote:
swheat wrote:
sibley wrote:

1) I am a girl, not a 'dude' as I loosely define it.

2) LEOP library with textbooks = me not having to go to the regular library, where I've heard reports of textbooks being hidden. And yes, that is my definition of a library.

You would prefer to be called a girl?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:48 pm

sibley wrote:
Veritas wrote:
msch0i wrote:
Veritas wrote:I really liked the idea of San Fran when I saw it on the bachelor last night :oops:

<3, prolly just a little

what is a TL?

some guy from my hs won the bachelorette in 2004 or 2005. that was the last time I paid attention to any reality-like tv. I also suck at tls terms.... sorry

TL = Tenderloin, where Hastings is located.

Oh, and Tenley FTW

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:49 pm

sibley wrote:1) I am a girl, not a 'dude' as I loosely define it.

Reports from current students? What kind of assignments required "textbooks" from the library? If you mean casebooks, don't you plan on buying them?

Most law school classes are pretty straightforward -- you read cases in your casebook and discuss them in class. At the end of the semester you get one exam that makes up pretty much your entire grade. The only research projects in your 1L year will be LWR and Moot Court. Virtually all of that can be done on Westlaw and Lexis. So I don't really see where textbooks at the library enter the equation. Maybe for some upper level seminars or something, but those are not graded on a curve so I don't understand why there would be any incentive to hide textbooks.

I believe the whole 'hiding textbooks' thing is a relic of the distant past...not something any prospective students should give any serious consideration to in choosing their school.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:50 pm

Veritas wrote:
sibley wrote:
Veritas wrote:
msch0i wrote:

<3, prolly just a little

what is a TL?

TL = Tenderloin, where Hastings is located.

Oh, and Tenley FTW

Ohhh! Tenderloin. That makes a bit of sense.
Belle and Sebastian : Piazza New York Catcher makes it sound pretty lovely too.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:54 pm

swheat wrote:

Reports from current students? What kind of assignments required "textbooks" from the library? If you mean casebooks, don't you plan on buying them?

Most law school classes are pretty straightforward -- you read cases in your casebook and discuss them in class. At the end of the semester you get one exam that makes up pretty much your entire grade. The only research projects in your 1L year will be LWR and Moot Court. Virtually all of that can be done on Westlaw and Lexis. So I don't really see where textbooks at the library enter the equation. Maybe for some upper level seminars or something, but those are not graded on a curve so I don't understand why there would be any incentive to hide textbooks.

I believe the whole 'hiding textbooks' thing is a relic of the distant past...not something any prospective students should give any serious consideration to in choosing their school.

I plan on using my copy of modern constitutional law for at least one class... and then I plan on using the supplement, which I expect to be on reserve, at the library. and if it's not there I'ma sue.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:58 pm

sibley wrote:I plan on using my copy of modern constitutional law for at least one class... and then I plan on using the supplement, which I expect to be on reserve, at the library. and if it's not there I'ma sue.

How do you know which casebook your conlaw prof will use? This year pretty much all of the Hastings conlaw profs are using the Stone casebook, so that students can save money by not buying a different one for Conlaw 2.

I assume you are talking about the Chemerinsky supplement. That is really popular so even if it is on reserve, it might be in use more often than not. You might want to just fork over the money for that one, although it does cost around $50. Everybody says it is the most useful 1L supplement.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:00 pm

swheat wrote:
sibley wrote:I plan on using my copy of modern constitutional law for at least one class... and then I plan on using the supplement, which I expect to be on reserve, at the library. and if it's not there I'ma sue.

How do you know which casebook your conlaw prof will use? This year pretty much all of the Hastings conlaw profs are using the Stone casebook, so that students can save money by not buying a different one for Conlaw 2.

I assume you are talking about the Chemerinsky supplement. That is really popular so even if it is on reserve, it might be in use more often than not. You might want to just fork over the money for that one, although it does cost around $50. Everybody says it is the most useful 1L supplement.

No... I'm debt averse. I fully plan on researching textbooks prior to picking a school... in conjunction with which courses I plan on taking as electives as well, of course.

sbcity24

Postby sbcity24 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:01 pm

swheat wrote:

swheat is absolutely correct here...to the point where it is not really worth debating anymore. As a fellow Hastings student I can say that all of his descriptions have been absolutely accurate. There is no such thing as hiding textbooks, at least not since they invented the internet.

In terms of competition, of course there is competition, you are competing against every other person in your section for a limited number of top grades. Hastings, just like every other law school, has gunners who run their mouth and pretend they know what they're talking about...and then grades come out.

With regard to this magical LEOP library housed somewhere in the building, well, enjoy the kitchenette?

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:02 pm

sbcity24 wrote:
swheat wrote:

swheat is absolutely correct here...to the point where it is not really worth debating anymore. As a fellow Hastings student I can say that all of his descriptions have been absolutely accurate. There is no such thing as hiding textbooks, at least not since they invented the internet.

In terms of competition, of course there is competition, you are competing against every other person in your section for a limited number of top grades. Hastings, just like every other law school, has gunners who run their mouth and pretend they know what they're talking about...and then grades come out.

With regard to this magical LEOP library housed somewhere in the building, well, enjoy the kitchenette?

Gee you guys are so grouchy. Hastings is at the top of my list. I'm just relaying what I heard.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:11 pm

sibley wrote:Gee you guys are so grouchy. Hastings is at the top of my list. I'm just relaying what I heard.

There is so much misinformation about Hastings floating around on the internet. You see it everywhere, and if you are someone who attends the school and really knows what is going on, then yeah...it does tend to make you a bit grouchy. I'm not some gung-ho Hastings troll... I had severe misgiving about the school when I eventually settled on it. So if you want to hear what sucks about it, I'll let you know. But I will also point out where criticisms of Hastings are poorly founded.

gobears09

Postby gobears09 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:16 pm

swheat wrote:
sibley wrote:Gee you guys are so grouchy. Hastings is at the top of my list. I'm just relaying what I heard.

There is so much misinformation about Hastings floating around on the internet. You see it everywhere, and if you are someone who attends the school and really knows what is going on, then yeah...it does tend to make you a bit grouchy. I'm not some gung-ho Hastings troll... I had severe misgiving about the school when I eventually settled on it. So if you want to hear what sucks about it, I'll let you know. But I will also point out where criticisms of Hastings are poorly founded.

I would like to hear what sucks about it.

I went to Berkeley, and absolutely love San Francisco, and don't think the tenderloin is as bad as people on here seem to think. I have been accepted to Hastings and I would like to hear your pros and cons.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:21 pm

gobears09 wrote:
swheat wrote:

I would like to hear what sucks about it.

I went to Berkeley, and absolutely love San Francisco, and don't think the tenderloin is as bad as people on here seem to think. I have been accepted to Hastings and I would like to hear your pros and cons.

will do. In torts class right now, but will be glad to do a pro/con of Hastings in about 2 hours.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:49 pm

IN! wooh!

letter dated Jan 27th
arrived today (Feb 2)

I didn't get into LEOP though :/

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:50 pm

Borhas wrote:IN! wooh!

letter dated Jan 27th
arrived today (Feb 2)

Congrats!! :D

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:51 pm

letter dated Jan 27th
arrived today (Feb 2)

congrats when did you go complete?

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Borhas wrote:I didn't get into LEOP though :/

Lol, what? They decided you had enough opportunities?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:53 pm

thank you brothers

also, completed 10/19/09

leftieash

Postby leftieash » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:57 pm

letter dated Jan 27th
arrived today (Feb 2)

woot!

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:01 pm

Borhas wrote:thank you brothers

also, completed 10/19/09

Congrats, may I ask where you are located in the US?

OlderHopeful

Postby OlderHopeful » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:02 pm

"a lending library of textbooks" is no comparisson to an actual library. This might mean they have some text books available for students unable to purchase them.

sibley wrote:

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:03 pm

also, completed 10/19/09

Congrats! you've been waiting quite a while, you deserve it! I vote they focus on the pre-2010 applications from now on 8)

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:05 pm

Inygma wrote:

also, completed 10/19/09

Congrats, may I ask where you are located in the US?

he's in VA according to his profile. i just realized i went complete the same day... sigh...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”