UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gatorlion

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby gatorlion » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:13 pm

How does everyone feel about Hastings being really cutthroat and the administration striving to thin out the herd during the first year? I haven't heard any nice things about Hastings, so I'm interested in others' perspectives.

meddlingkid

Postby meddlingkid » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:15 pm

jbaritot wrote:
meddlingkid wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
meddlingkid wrote:In via snail mail! This is so exciting, I didn't think I stood a chance for admittance.

congrats! what are your stats and complete date if you don't mind me asking?

I went complete wayyyyyy back on 12/7/09. My numbers are 160/3.0. And yes, I am a URM.

Congrats! Is Hastings a top choice for you?

Definitely. I didn't get any scholarship info with the letter which isn't too surprising based on my numbers, so that's definitely a consideration in my decision. But yeah, I would LOVE to go there.

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:20 pm

gatorlion wrote:How does everyone feel about Hastings being really cutthroat and the administration striving to thin out the herd during the first year? I haven't heard any nice things about Hastings, so I'm interested in others' perspectives.

One of the posts I read on TLS said that the competition isn't as cutthroat anymore, but it's hard to shake off that rep. Take it with a grain of salt, though.

totebags

Postby totebags » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:24 pm

Bump. This thread is buried on the 2nd page, while last year's Hastings thread keeps getting posts.

leftieash

Postby leftieash » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:29 pm

In!! Yesterday via small envelope, snail mail. Complete 1/13. I was really excited to read about some of their clinics -- the Group Advocacy and Systemic Reform Clinic seems AMAAAAZING. Though I am bummed to hear these rumors about how competitive the school is...hoping they are not true. That would be rough/unfortunate. :(
Also hoping for a wee bit of scholarship money, though the letter didn't say anything. 50K a year is ufb.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:31 pm

leftieash wrote:In!! Yesterday via small envelope, snail mail. Complete 1/13. I was really excited to read about some of their clinics -- the Group Advocacy and Systemic Reform Clinic seems AMAAAAZING. Though I am bummed to hear these rumors about how competitive the school is...hoping they are not true. That would be rough/unfortunate. :(
Also hoping for a wee bit of scholarship money, though the letter didn't say anything. 50K a year is ufb.

Congrats! mind if you share your stats?

also what does ufb mean?

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:50 pm

finalaspects wrote:
leftieash wrote:In!! Yesterday via small envelope, snail mail. Complete 1/13. I was really excited to read about some of their clinics -- the Group Advocacy and Systemic Reform Clinic seems AMAAAAZING. Though I am bummed to hear these rumors about how competitive the school is...hoping they are not true. That would be rough/unfortunate. :(

also what does ufb mean?

Guessing "Un-F*cking-Believable"

BiteyTLS

Postby BiteyTLS » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:56 pm

gatorlion wrote:How does everyone feel about Hastings being really cutthroat and the administration striving to thin out the herd during the first year? I haven't heard any nice things about Hastings, so I'm interested in others' perspectives.

Have they really began the tier 3/4 method assuring that those on the bottom of the curve fail? Is the goal to raise the BAR passage rate while collecting tuition from 1Ls that fail out?

None of the students that I came across seemed any more competitive than any other law student. Of course this was public interest, so you never know what those seeking big-law are like.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:58 pm

BiteyTLS wrote:

Have they really began the tier 3/4 method assuring that those on the bottom of the curve fail? Is the goal to raise the BAR passage rate while collecting tuition from 1Ls that fail out?

None of the students that I came across seemed any more competitive than any other law student. Of course this was public interest, so you never know what those seeking big-law are like.

I heard they hide the books on reserve in the library so only they can use them. I considered applying LEOP because of this, since they have their own library, but decided it wasn't worth the extra wait time for a decision.

leftieash

Postby leftieash » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:31 pm

Inygma wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

also what does ufb mean?

Haha, yep, that's what it stands for. For stats, just look at my other posts...I've decided to stop spreading stats all over the interwebz :)

sibley wrote:
BiteyTLS wrote:

I heard they hide the books on reserve in the library so only they can use them. I considered applying LEOP because of this, since they have their own library, but decided it wasn't worth the extra wait time for a decision.

WHOAAA. Separate library? Looks like we need to go and find some current law students to weigh in...anyone out there? Please??

I guess I feel like competition to some extent is inevitable, but that's (obviously) sabotage of your fellow students and crosses a whole different line. Some of the best undergrad classes I had were with lots of incredibly smart people who wanted to do well, but we were able to work together and understand that success isn't always zero-sum (and we did better as a result of being collaborative). I heard a story from a BU student, who said that one girl's computer completely died and she lost all of her notes and everyone was sharing with her and trying to help her out. I'd imagine the whole endeavor is a lot less painful if things are like that.

Unfortunately, it seems like this is one of the hardest factors to "measure" until you actually go to school there. It's just like their PR stuff re: public interest commitment -- every school says they <3 public interest (and are totally collegial!) -- but you can't actually believe them.

StyrofoamWar

Postby StyrofoamWar » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:49 pm

Dear U.C. Hastings-

While you are one of my top choices, I am growing increasingly frustrated with you. What is the point of having a rolling admissions policy and having applicants apply early if you are not going to review actually review these applications earlier? You have now had my application at complete since October, for a good three+ months, while applications sent to you in after the new year are already receiving decisions. That is all.

Sincerely Yours,
Hopeful Applicant.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:54 pm

ive been in for a little now and havent been offered any money yet...this frustrates me

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:57 pm

jmaan wrote:ive been in for a little now and havent been offered any money yet...this frustrates me

even if you had a 180/4.0 there is no guarantee that any school will offer you money...

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:59 pm

finalaspects wrote:
jmaan wrote:ive been in for a little now and havent been offered any money yet...this frustrates me

even if you had a 180/4.0 there is no guarantee that any school will offer you money...

i know, i was just really hoping for money from them, cause I'd love to go there, but the price tag is pretty high

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:59 pm

finalaspects wrote:

Though that would probably be a guarantee that you wouldn't attend.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:07 pm

StyrofoamWar wrote:Dear U.C. Hastings-

While you are one of my top choices, I am growing increasingly frustrated with you. What is the point of having a rolling admissions policy and having applicants apply early if you are not going to review actually review these applications earlier? You have now had my application at complete since October, for a good three+ months, while applications sent to you in after the new year are already receiving decisions. That is all.

Sincerely Yours,
Hopeful Applicant.

+1. It'll be 3 months in 3 days for me. aldfijagkajer.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:13 pm

Hastings isn't any more cutthroat than any other school. I haven't felt any of the pervasive tension that all non-Hastings people seem to think exists here. You show up, do your best, and let the guy/gal next to you do the same. If you want to avoid discussions of grades/class ranks, etc. it's very simple: don't discuss it with anybody.

What kinds of nice things do you want to hear? The professors at Hastings are great....all of them are very well accomplished, friendly, and willing to talk with students any time. There are tons of student activities, clubs, etc. There are tons of pro bono/volunteer activities. Career prospects are above average for the typical school in the 30-50 range. The only 'bad' thing about Hastings is the building and its surroundings...but it isn't that bad really. If you want peace and quiet go to Davis. If you want an urban experience go to Hastings. The Hastings buildings on the inside have been very nicely renovated. I personally think its dumb to attend a lower ranked school for more comfort and amenities, but to each his own. If you want to work in Northern CA and don't get into a T20, Hastings and Davis are the best bets. It's only 3 years after all.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:15 pm

BiteyTLS wrote:

NO. This is stupid. Nobody in my section failed last semester. In my K's class they gave out like 2 "C-" grades. Something like 15 or 20 C's out of a class of 90 students. They aren't doing the whole GGU mandatory attrition scheme...that is just retarded to suggest that a school of Hastings' caliber would do such a thing. Bar passage rate has never been an issue at Hastings. In fact, in many years the passage rate at Hastings has exceeded that of Boalt..no small feat for such a large law school.

leftieash

Postby leftieash » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:18 pm

swheat wrote:

Hastings isn't any more cutthroat than any other school. I haven't felt any of the pervasive tension that all non-Hastings people seem to think exists here. You show up, do your best, and let the guy/gal next to you do the same. If you want to avoid discussions of grades/class ranks, etc. it's very simple: don't discuss it with anybody.

What kinds of nice things do you want to hear? The professors at Hastings are great....all of them are very well accomplished, friendly, and willing to talk with students any time. There are tons of student activities, clubs, etc. There are tons of pro bono/volunteer activities. Career prospects are above average for the typical school in the 30-50 range. The only 'bad' thing about Hastings is the building and its surroundings...but it isn't that bad really. If you want peace and quiet go to Davis. If you want an urban experience go to Hastings. The Hastings buildings on the inside have been very nicely renovated. I personally think its dumb to attend a lower ranked school for more comfort and amenities, but to each his own. If you want to work in Northern CA and don't get into a T20, Hastings and Davis are the best bets. It's only 3 years after all.

This [all] makes me feel better...thank you for posting!

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:19 pm

I really liked the idea of San Fran when I saw it on the bachelor last night :oops:

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:20 pm

leftieash wrote:
Inygma wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

also what does ufb mean?

Haha, yep, that's what it stands for. For stats, just look at my other posts...I've decided to stop spreading stats all over the interwebz :)

sibley wrote:
BiteyTLS wrote:

WHOAAA. Separate library? Looks like we need to go and find some current law students to weigh in...anyone out there? Please??

I guess I feel like competition to some extent is inevitable, but that's (obviously) sabotage of your fellow students and crosses a whole different line. Some of the best undergrad classes I had were with lots of incredibly smart people who wanted to do well, but we were able to work together and understand that success isn't always zero-sum (and we did better as a result of being collaborative). I heard a story from a BU student, who said that one girl's computer completely died and she lost all of her notes and everyone was sharing with her and trying to help her out. I'd imagine the whole endeavor is a lot less painful if things are like that.

Unfortunately, it seems like this is one of the hardest factors to "measure" until you actually go to school there. It's just like their PR stuff re: public interest commitment -- every school says they <3 public interest (and are totally collegial!) -- but you can't actually believe them.

How could there possibly be a separate library for the LEOP students? They have a few rooms on the 4th floor of one of the buildings. They get help studying, old outlines, etc. Nothing that gives them a huge leg up when it comes to exam time. The competition level here is quite high...there are a ton of really smart people at Hastings. So I don't think anyone here has a problem with LEOP students getting help.

Help me on this -- I never understood this even as a 0L. But in what scenario do you guys envision hiding books to be a good method of undercutting your competition? I did ONE assignment which required me to use library books...it was our first LWR assignment, they wanted us to draft a memo without using Lexis or Westlaw. And that was ungraded. So where in the law school experience do you guys envision needing to visit the library for ONE book, only to find that it has been stolen by a gunner classmate?

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:25 pm

Veritas wrote:I really liked the idea of San Fran when I saw it on the bachelor last night :oops:

:lol:

...I did too -___- Although..I imagine the TL looks a bit different.

jmaan

Postby jmaan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:26 pm

msch0i wrote:
Veritas wrote:I really liked the idea of San Fran when I saw it on the bachelor last night :oops:

it does

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:27 pm

msch0i wrote:

<3, prolly just a little

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:27 pm

swheat wrote:How could there possibly be a separate library for the LEOP students? They have a few rooms on the 4th floor of one of the buildings

LEOP Resources and Library
The LEOP Academic Resources Center, located on the fourth floor of the newly renovated Snodgrass Hall at 198 McAllister Street, includes conference rooms for small group sessions and student meetings, a lounge/study area, and a kitchenette. The LEOP suite also houses a lending library of textbooks, study aids (flash cards, audio tapes, flash cards on disk, and video tapes), practice exams and sample answers, and student outlines.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”