UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AlanShore

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby AlanShore » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:57 pm

hey. do you know how generous they are with merit aid? how are employment prospects looking in the bay area for hastings students? thanks for taking questions

edit: i know hastings is NOT generous but i guess i was wondering what percent of the class gets merit aid, if any? and how much they normally give.

erico

Postby erico » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:01 am

swheat wrote:first year hastings student here if anyone has questions

how's the tenderloin? do i have to worry about wearing my watch, getting mugged etc?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:04 am

erico wrote:

how's the tenderloin? do i have to worry about wearing my watch, getting mugged etc?

It's not that bad. There were 2 major incidents with Hastings students this semester....a bum stole a student's iphone while she was talking on it. The other was some guy parked his car outside the Tower and somebody broke the window and tried to steal the car. But the Hastings police arrested him b4 he could get it started.

You walk past a lot of bums but there are a lot of normal people walking there too. The school is right next to some major courts, the Asian art museum, and city hall. So there are going to be a lot of professional types in the area as well as the bums. I haven't been at Hastings too late at night, but the police officers will walk you to the BART or drive you home if you live nearby. I think they are there until the buildings close at midnight or whatever.

EDIT - I also should say that I think the police at Hastings are pretty damn good. They don't let anybody without a Hastings ID in the building and there are always at least 4 or 5 of them on duty.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:09 am

AlanShore wrote:hey. do you know how generous they are with merit aid? how are employment prospects looking in the bay area for hastings students? thanks for taking questions

edit: i know hastings is NOT generous but i guess i was wondering what percent of the class gets merit aid, if any? and how much they normally give.

Not sure what percent get merit aid. I think the LSAC site just lumps all grants and merit aid together. My guess is less than 25% get merit aid. Supposedly 75% get need based aid but I suspect the real number might be much lower.

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:19 am

erico wrote:

Yes, you do. The tenderloin has a lot of crime.

In the last 30 days there have been about 19 aggravated assaults or robberies within 1000 feet of UC Hastings, according to the SF police department.

--LinkRemoved--

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:02 am

voice of reason wrote:
erico wrote:

Yes, you do. The tenderloin has a lot of crime.

In the last 30 days there have been about 19 aggravated assaults or robberies within 1000 feet of UC Hastings, according to the SF police department.

--LinkRemoved--

I suspect that most of that goes on after dark. There are shady characters around during the day, but I've never seen any acts of violence or anything. You need to be alert for sure, but don't decide against Hastings just because you think you are going to get mugged or something.

stonepeep

Postby stonepeep » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:23 am

erico wrote:do i have to worry about wearing my watch?

Seriously?

No, it is not that scary around Hastings. In fact, it's not scary at all. The first day you walk to campus you might be a little weirded out but by day two you won't even notice.

Besides, watching the campus security officers arrest random people adds much needed excitement to the day.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:58 am

stonepeep wrote:Besides, watching the campus security officers arrest random people adds much needed excitement to the day.

=D

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:17 pm

I don't understand why Hastings gets so much grief for being in a shady neighborhood anyway. Loyola, Berkeley, USC, etc. are not in the best of neighborhoods either.

md;jdwannabe

Postby md;jdwannabe » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:34 pm

Has anyone checked the crime rate at Stanford....higher than you think! Yes bad things happen at taco bell. I spent a total of seven years there, love the place, but also know the nooks and crannies where certain elements of the population can hide on such a large campus

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:02 pm

swheat wrote:I don't understand why Hastings gets so much grief for being in a shady neighborhood anyway. Loyola, Berkeley, USC, etc. are not in the best of neighborhoods either.

My college is 'safe' but if you walk across the footbridge, located on my campus, to the other side of the river, which has some campus housing, you are no longer 'safe.' Because that side of the river is known as the most dangerous neighborhood in the city. But there's security, there are buses, and that particular area is pretty safe (if you go up the road a mile, though, you get into some pretty sketchy territory.. I saw two guys getting arrested there, and there are police cameras on the lightposts.. but I have friends who live there and they've been fine). We do get a lot of bike thefts because of our location. And sometimes people come across the footbridge, get into the dorms, and go into unlocked dorm rooms at night.

I suspect Hastings will be the same way. Don't be stupid, try not to walk too far alone after dark, lock your windows and doors shut at night/when you're away. No biggie.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:59 pm

Went complete 11/5. 160/3.8....anxiously waiting :D The e-mail I received from them after I submitted the application said they'd send out their first round of decisions in January, but it seems like some people have gotten decisions already (that were not early decision applicants). Any chance we'll hear some more news before the new year?

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:05 pm

msch0i wrote:Went complete 11/5. 160/3.8....anxiously waiting :D The e-mail I received from them after I submitted the application said they'd send out their first round of decisions in January, but it seems like some people have gotten decisions already (that were not early decision applicants). Any chance we'll hear some more news before the new year?

Pretty sure the only people who have heard are EC applicants.. What makes you think regular decision people have heard? Just wondering. Good luck in your cycle!

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:11 pm

jbaritot wrote:
msch0i wrote:Went complete 11/5. 160/3.8....anxiously waiting :D The e-mail I received from them after I submitted the application said they'd send out their first round of decisions in January, but it seems like some people have gotten decisions already (that were not early decision applicants). Any chance we'll hear some more news before the new year?

Pretty sure the only people who have heard are EC applicants.. What makes you think regular decision people have heard? Just wondering. Good luck in your cycle!

I was browsing LSN yesterday and thought I saw a couple of acceptances that weren't marked as EC, but I see now that there's only one not marked...and that person probably forgot to indicate it. Sigh, guess this means we'll have to wait! Bummer, I was hoping to hear from them before the holidays...

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:14 pm

msch0i wrote:
jbaritot wrote:

I was browsing LSN yesterday and thought I saw a couple of acceptances that weren't marked as EC, but I see now that there's only one not marked...and that person probably forgot to indicate it. Sigh, guess this means we'll have to wait! Bummer, I was hoping to hear from them before the holidays...

yea i think we have a long wait ahead of us. Most likely February or even March...

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:20 pm

msch0i wrote:
jbaritot wrote:

Ah, I was hoping you knew something we didn't. I was deferred in EC, but Im hoping a decision (good or bad), comes soon! Tired of waiting and wondering...

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:26 pm

stonepeep wrote:

Seriously?

No, it is not that scary around Hastings. In fact, it's not scary at all. The first day you walk to campus you might be a little weirded out but by day two you won't even notice.

Besides, watching the campus security officers arrest random people adds much needed excitement to the day.

I have to disagree with you on this. I definitely still notice and would feel very uncomfortable walking through the TL by myself. I've been followed, grabbed, etc. I imagine it's a bit more scary for us women than it would be for men. Mostly it's depressing more than anything and over the semester it sort of worse me down. I don't think there's much of a risk of violence, but there is definitely a risk of mugging. If you walk around in groups you'll be ok :)

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:31 pm

mnolen wrote:
stonepeep wrote:

Seriously?

I have to disagree with you on this. I definitely still notice and would feel very uncomfortable walking through the TL by myself. I've been followed, grabbed, etc. I imagine it's a bit more scary for us women than it would be for men. Mostly it's depressing more than anything and over the semester it sort of worse me down. I don't think there's much of a risk of violence, but there is definitely a risk of mugging. If you walk around in groups you'll be ok :)

How is the parking at UC Hastings? Nonexistent? I'm not planning on living extremely close to campus but public transportation doesn't sound like a great option, esp at night..

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:43 pm

Complete since 10/12.
>170/<3.0

Tempted to commute to UCH from southern Marin (Strawberry or Sausalito) via GG bus. Takes maybe 30 minutes, runs every half hour or so, goes from maybe 5 am til 1 am. Would consider near-in East Bay if close to BART. Also consider SF, but it'd probably need to be Richmond or Sunset to get room for 2 people + car + cat.

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:47 pm

msch0i wrote:
mnolen wrote:
stonepeep wrote:

Seriously?

How is the parking at UC Hastings? Nonexistent? I'm not planning on living extremely close to campus but public transportation doesn't sound like a great option, esp at night..

There's a parking garage around the corner but I think it's pretty expensive - ~$200/month. There's street parking but it's metered and also quite expensive. I take the bus every day and haven't had any real problems with it besides being talked to by crazy people. Depends how close you live, I guess. I live in Nob Hill and there's a really easy bus to and from school.

Like another poster said, there are shuttles run by campus security that will take you home at night if you live within a certain area (like a 10-block radius). They run about every 30 minutes and are probably a good alternative to the bus if you need to stay on campus late.

erico

Postby erico » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:47 pm

md;jdwannabe wrote:Has anyone checked the crime rate at Stanford....higher than you think! Yes bad things happen at taco bell. I spent a total of seven years there, love the place, but also know the nooks and crannies where certain elements of the population can hide on such a large campus

Bad things besides the food? Just joking, I love t-bell.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:04 pm

I called Hastings a few days ago... they will be closed till early Jan, but they said that regular decisions will be arriving early January.

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:04 am

md;jdwannabe wrote:Has anyone checked the crime rate at Stanford....higher than you think! Yes bad things happen at taco bell. I spent a total of seven years there, love the place, but also know the nooks and crannies where certain elements of the population can hide on such a large campus

Interesting question. I'd estimate the violent crime rate around Hastings is 200 times the rate at Stanford, where the rate is the number of assaults and robberies in a given area in a given time.

I say this based on a count of 19 crimes within 1000 feet of Hastings in the past 30 days (cited in my previous post) and 20 comparable crimes at Stanford in 2007 and 17 in 2006. Extrapolating from that, I estimate Hastings has 12 times as many crimes per year. Then, eyeballing a map, I estimate that the populated area of Stanford's campus is 15-20 times larger than the area within 1000ft of Hastings that had the 19 crimes. That means that on a crime-density basis (crimes per square mile, say), the rate at Hastings is about 12*15=180 to 12*20=240 times greater.

Stanford does have a lot of theft.

alejandro7

Postby alejandro7 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:47 am

Admitted.

3.32/164 EC

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:12 am

voice of reason wrote:

Interesting question. I'd estimate the violent crime rate around Hastings is 200 times the rate at Stanford, where the rate is the number of assaults and robberies in a given area in a given time.

I say this based on a count of 19 crimes within 1000 feet of Hastings in the past 30 days (cited in my previous post) and 20 comparable crimes at Stanford in 2007 and 17 in 2006. Extrapolating from that, I estimate Hastings has 12 times as many crimes per year. Then, eyeballing a map, I estimate that the populated area of Stanford's campus is 15-20 times larger than the area within 1000ft of Hastings that had the 19 crimes. That means that on a crime-density basis (crimes per square mile, say), the rate at Hastings is about 12*15=180 to 12*20=240 times greater.

Stanford does have a lot of theft.

No need to estimate the statistics are here:
--LinkRemoved--

132 total crimes within 500 feet of Hastings in 2008. The vast majority are burglary, larceny and drug crimes. 8 aggravated assaults. The data doesnt say what percentage of the crimes involved students, but I think its pretty clear that it's a pretty small fraction.

Again, not saying there isn't crime there because there is. But don't do something silly like choose USF or GGU over Hastings just b/c you are afraid to pass a few crackheads on the sidewalk.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”