UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zeth006

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby zeth006 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:09 pm

Borhas wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
missinglink wrote:Can anyone recommend a gym that's reasonably priced? I swung by the gym in the tower, and it's a little lacking in the kind of equipment I want.

Possibly 24-hour with the $449/3 year deal by Costco.

is costco accessible by Muni?

Nope.

And when I mentioned the $449/3 year deal, I meant you can get a 24-hour fitness membership from Costco online for that rate.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:12 pm

sorry I thought the gym was at costco :lol:

I now realize that's a bit dumb

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:52 pm

Borhas wrote:sorry I thought the gym was at costco :lol:

I now realize that's a bit dumb

Haha, now THERE'S an idea. Costco Fitness! They've got their own gas station brand and they more or less compete with Walmart in the price segment though to a lesser extent in the wholesale arena to see who can sell a larger array of goods. Why not toss in gym usage?

That aside...the question of the day:

Has anyone started working on their first day reading assignments? Homework even before school starts. :cry:

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:58 pm

What reading assignments?! I'm working my way through The Girl Who Played With Fire. I figure this is my last chance to delve into fiction.

Last nights Giants game sucked, by the way. Nothing like your team being down 4 runs before you even sit down.

Kirkland fitness center is an idea. Although whenever I've been to the average Costco, I'm not sure what proportion of the clientele would make use of a fitness center. I'm debating whether to fork over a three year gym commitment. The deal is quite good. I'm just worried about whether I'll have the time.

joobacca

Postby joobacca » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:03 pm

missinglink wrote:What reading assignments?! I'm working my way through The Girl Who Played With Fire. I figure this is my last chance to delve into fiction.

Last nights Giants game sucked, by the way. Nothing like your team being down 4 runs before you even sit down.

Kirkland fitness center is an idea. Although whenever I've been to the average Costco, I'm not sure what proportion of the clientele would make use of a fitness center. I'm debating whether to fork over a three year gym commitment. The deal is quite good. I'm just worried about whether I'll have the time.

i thought there was a real shot after pablo's hit. i can't believe uribe's strike out. that was so pathetic. three pitches. three crap hacks.

one a different note. how much smoking goes on in the tower?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:03 pm

missinglink wrote:What reading assignments?! I'm working my way through The Girl Who Played With Fire. I figure this is my last chance to delve into fiction.

Oh dear. Some sections don't have any whatsoever. But if your section is like mine, we have some reading to do, otherwise we may get cold-called and publicly shamed. :lol:

Check your Hastings e-mail, you should've gotten a link to first-day assignments.

Link:

--LinkRemoved--

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:05 pm

--LinkRemoved--

edit: beat me to it

no assignment for property? I can dig that :mrgreen:

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:11 pm

Craptastic. Most of my books won't arrive till the end of the week, so I have until the weekend to get started.

Uribe's approach leaves much to be desired sometimes. It's good when it works, it's horrible when it's three strikes and see ya. I'll be at Thursday's game too, in the bleachers this time. I intend to heckle the left fielder mercilessly.

squirtle

Postby squirtle » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:06 pm

Hope the Giants keep sucking!!! Go Dodgers!!!!!

btw, reading assignments/hw get updated daily so even if you don't have any reading assignments now, check again tomorrow and you might have something.

edit: Are we allowed to pick up our books from the bookstore if we preordered them?

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:24 pm

squirtle wrote:Hope the Giants keep sucking!!! Go Dodgers!!!!!

btw, reading assignments/hw get updated daily so even if you don't have any reading assignments now, check again tomorrow and you might have something.

edit: Are we allowed to pick up our books from the bookstore if we preordered them?

Not worried about the Dodgers at this point, you're out of it. :P It's all about catching the Pads.

Back from Costco, and they indeed sell 3 years of gym membership for 449.00. I wish I were more than one person, they had Sockeye Salmon for $8.99 a pound! Too bad they come in 2lb containers. That store isn't designed for households of one.

I don't think pre-orders are ready for pickup, but I'd have to double check. I think there was an email about that somewhere.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:28 pm

missinglink wrote:
squirtle wrote:Hope the Giants keep sucking!!! Go Dodgers!!!!!

Not worried about the Dodgers at this point, you're out of it. :P It's all about catching the Pads.

Back from Costco, and they indeed sell 3 years of gym membership for 449.00. I wish I were more than one person, they had Sockeye Salmon for $8.99 a pound! Too bad they come in 2lb containers. That store isn't designed for households of one.

I don't think pre-orders are ready for pickup, but I'd have to double check. I think there was an email about that somewhere.

E-mail says:

The textbook area will officially open on Monday, August 16th for those who prefer to browse and select their own materials. Bookstore hours during this week are 9:00 to 6:00pm Monday through Thursday and 9:00 to 4:00pm on Friday, August 20th. Special order is also available if you did not find your preferred book. If interested, please see the cashier to do special order. Starting August 23rd, bookstore hours are from 9:00 to 4:30 Monday through Friday.

EDIT: Also from website:

Fall 2010 textbook pre-ordering begins July 26 and runs until Friday, August 13th. Although your books will be available for viewing prior to the pre-order period, we will not begin processing orders until July 26th. Furthermore, the books will not be available for pick-up prior to August 16th.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:42 pm

Is there any way to forward Hastings email to gmail, or something? I like not having to download my messages, etc..., and Hastings webmail is horrible, a good five years out of date. What the fuck, really, no search function's available?!

tgbyhnasdf

Postby tgbyhnasdf » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:48 pm

missinglink wrote:
Check your Hastings e-mail, you should've gotten a link to first-day assignments.

Link:

--LinkRemoved--

When was this sent!? I never got that email despite being in Dodge's section...

At least I'm not in the same predicament as my roommate of finding out we were assigned a Hastings email 3 months ago. :lol:
She's somewhat late to the party...

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:24 pm

to forward email

creat a new "rule" (you can find "Rule" button on the left side, looks like a folder with a letter half way inside)
then click on the "new..." button at the top of the site.
don't change any of the top fields, and leave "importance" to any, but make sure to select "forward it to" and write your forwarding address in the field... then click the save and close button and you are done

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:36 pm

Borhas wrote:to forward email

creat a new "rule" (you can find "Rule" button on the left side, looks like a folder with a letter half way inside)
don't change any of the top fields, and leave "importance" to any, but make sure to select "forward it to" and write your forwarding address in the field... then click the save and close button and you are done

That's to forward all Hastings e-mail to our default e-mail, right? Does this still leave the original e-mail inside the mailbox?

If so, we'll probably have to log in periodically to empty the inbox.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:42 pm

But if you reply, it'll come from your forwarding address, right?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:58 pm

zeth006 wrote:

That's to forward all Hastings e-mail to our default e-mail, right? Does this still leave the original e-mail inside the mailbox?

If so, we'll probably have to log in periodically to empty the inbox.

depends, you can check the box at the bottom so that it does save a copy in your webmail, uncheck it to not

even if your webmail is full, new mail might get forwarded to your new address (thats how it worked at my college anyway) but dont take my word for it I havent tested that

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:00 pm

Awesome, thanks a lot!

The problem was that I was using Chrome, as usual, where a "Rules" button is missing on the left in Outlook Web. Actually, webmail looks totally different in Win IE, with more buttons (inc "Rules"), a better interface, etc...it looks decent, except I still don't think it's searchable. Not sure what it looks like in Firefox.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:00 pm

a male human wrote:But if you reply, it'll come from your forwarding address, right?

if you use your forward account to reply, yes

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:25 am

Borhas wrote:
a male human wrote:But if you reply, it'll come from your forwarding address, right?

if you use your forward account to reply, yes

It's possible to set up gmail at least to send mail as coming from another account. Under "Settings" then "Accounts and Import" click on "send mail from another address." It'll then send a confirmation email to that address and once you log in there to activate that link, you can use gmail to send as that address. Then, mail via gmail will look as if it was send from your other account, except the details, which appear several lines below your name and address, will say "mailed by: gmail.com." You can even set gmail up to send as the other address by default, or to always reply as the other address. I've been doing this for years with all my school emails automatically forwarded to gmail, and it's worked great, though it's typically discouraged by university network admins I've found. I'm pretty sure other webmail clients can do it too, though I've only used gmail.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:51 am

I still think Mac Mail is the easiest. You can delete emails, search, group them, sort them, etc. In short, it works just like it SHOULD work from the Hastings email client.

For windows I'd probably try to set up that POP3 client or whatever through Outlook rather than the forwarding rule. --LinkRemoved--

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:09 pm

General Tso wrote:I still think Mac Mail is the easiest. You can delete emails, search, group them, sort them, etc. In short, it works just like it SHOULD work from the Hastings email client.

For windows I'd probably try to set up that POP3 client or whatever through Outlook rather than the forwarding rule. --LinkRemoved--

What would be the reasons why you wouldn't recommend using gmail, or another similar webmail client, to access Hastings email in Win7? Isn't MacMail similar to gmail anyway?

I've been using gmail for my email accounts (inc university) and I really like that all my messages are always in one place, with a consistent interface that I don't have to worry about, no matter from where I access the account. Although I think managing messages by local email clients via POP3 has advantages, I'm very cautious about this since a time when I started this one job, sat down at my "new" computer, and had the previous user's email loaded into Eudora or Outlook, whatever was on there, as I tried to establish my own account. The previous user thought they had deleted these messages, but I guess it wasn't so easy...

RadMobile

Postby RadMobile » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:11 pm

Any Section 2'ers out there??

l'uccello

Postby l'uccello » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:16 pm

For people in section 5: did anyone else get the email from Leshy? Unless I am looking in the wrong place, I can't find the syllabus for Fall property on the class's website, just spring....if anyone else finds it, could you post the link?

squirtle

Postby squirtle » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:33 pm

l'uccello wrote:For people in section 5: did anyone else get the email from Leshy? Unless I am looking in the wrong place, I can't find the syllabus for Fall property on the class's website, just spring....if anyone else finds it, could you post the link?

Can't find anything current, either. Everything seems to be from Spring 2010. But just glancing over the handout and syllabus, I'm scared of all the reading we're going to be getting. At least we're in it together haha

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”