UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby missinglink » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:38 pm

MD/JD2B wrote:If anyone who is not living on campus wants to get their ID early, go see the guards at the entrance of building 198 with some proof that you are a Hastings student. I took a copy of my admissions letter. They will take your picture downstairs and issue your photo ID; the whole process took about 10 minutes.

If someone needs a handcart for moving let me know.

Outside the bookstore, there are free copies of Chambers associates 2010 guide to law firms, including short write-ups on firms and phone numbers which may be of help.

Go Giants!

I'll be freezing my butt off in View Reserve 318 tonight. Should be fun.

User avatar
stonepeep
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:08 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby stonepeep » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:46 pm

zeth006 wrote:Dumb question. Where is the bookstore located?


1st floor of the 200 building.

MD/JD2B
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:06 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby MD/JD2B » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:55 pm

trying to get tickets for tonight right now

User avatar
LizBennet
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:16 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby LizBennet » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:50 pm

Has anyone synced their Hastings email account to their iphone? I can't figure out what to put for the incoming and outgoing mail servers' host names.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby General Tso » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:57 pm

LizBennet wrote:Has anyone synced their Hastings email account to their iphone? I can't figure out what to put for the incoming and outgoing mail servers' host names.

--LinkRemoved--

User avatar
LizBennet
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:16 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby LizBennet » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:01 pm

General Tso wrote:
LizBennet wrote:Has anyone synced their Hastings email account to their iphone? I can't figure out what to put for the incoming and outgoing mail servers' host names.

--LinkRemoved--


Thank you, General! :D

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby zeth006 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:17 pm

Visited the bookstore, saw craploads of supplementals. Made me chuckle as it seems a bit inconsistent for professors at many law schools to be trying to discourage the use of supplementals even as the school monetizes their sale.

That aside, could someone tell me where the library is located????

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby missinglink » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:49 pm

zeth006 wrote:Visited the bookstore, saw craploads of supplementals. Made me chuckle as it seems a bit inconsistent for professors at many law schools to be trying to discourage the use of supplementals even as the school monetizes their sale.

That aside, could someone tell me where the library is located????

Same building. Up a couple floors.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby General Tso » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:09 pm

LizBennet wrote:
General Tso wrote:
LizBennet wrote:Has anyone synced their Hastings email account to their iphone? I can't figure out what to put for the incoming and outgoing mail servers' host names.

--LinkRemoved--


Thank you, General! :D


No worries...and if anyone wants to set up their Mac Mail (which I HIGHLY recommend...Hastings' web email client doesn't allow you to search your email!) then follow these instructions: --LinkRemoved--

squirtle
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby squirtle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:10 pm

Anyone know where I can get help setting up my Mac mail? Does Hastings have a IT help center? I've tried numerous times to set it up on my own, and I just can't seem to find the magic touch.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby General Tso » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:11 pm

squirtle wrote:Anyone know where I can get help setting up my Mac mail? Does Hastings have a IT help center? I've tried numerous times to set it up on my own, and I just can't seem to find the magic touch.


^^^

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby zeth006 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:04 pm

Damn. The insecure gunner inside me is getting riled up. Seems to me the LEOP'ers have been getting a leg up over the rest of us with the extra days of orientation. :shock: I've seen them working on assignments already!

squirtle
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby squirtle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:08 pm

zeth006 wrote:Damn. The insecure gunner inside me is getting riled up. Seems to me the LEOP'ers have been getting a leg up over the rest of us with the extra days of orientation. :shock: I've seen them working on assignments already!


What kind of assignments?

Btw, I also live on the 11th floor. I saw the roach traps set in the trash chute area. hahaha

MD/JD2B
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:06 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby MD/JD2B » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:18 pm

Too bad about the roach problem; I've had mice in the past but no roaches; hope Borhas isn't reading this (they left about 10 years ago).
BTW what does LEOP stand for?

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby zeth006 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:19 pm

squirtle wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Damn. The insecure gunner inside me is getting riled up. Seems to me the LEOP'ers have been getting a leg up over the rest of us with the extra days of orientation. :shock: I've seen them working on assignments already!


What kind of assignments?

Btw, I also live on the 11th floor. I saw the roach traps set in the trash chute area. hahaha



I don't want to incite animosity or hypercompetitiveness. But the truth is I overheard them talking about some CALI assignments and homework. I guess they're getting a separate boot camp? Sure would've been nice to get a head start.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Borhas » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:25 pm

fuck that

I'll relax for another week 8)

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:26 pm

zeth006 wrote:
squirtle wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Damn. The insecure gunner inside me is getting riled up. Seems to me the LEOP'ers have been getting a leg up over the rest of us with the extra days of orientation. :shock: I've seen them working on assignments already!


What kind of assignments?

Btw, I also live on the 11th floor. I saw the roach traps set in the trash chute area. hahaha


I don't want to incite animosity or hypercompetitiveness. But the truth is I overheard them talking about some CALI assignments and homework. I guess they're getting a separate boot camp? Sure would've been nice to get a head start.


I doubt it will do much to be a leg-up in any appreciable way. We have an entire semester to compete for grades, and it's going to be the long run that gets the grades: organization, consistency, hard work, and all that other jazz.

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:26 pm

Borhas wrote:fuck that

I'll relax for another week 8)


As my books are starting to come in the mail, I'm realizing how much I need to really appreciate what I have going on for this next week :)

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby zeth006 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:27 pm

squirtle wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Damn. The insecure gunner inside me is getting riled up. Seems to me the LEOP'ers have been getting a leg up over the rest of us with the extra days of orientation. :shock: I've seen them working on assignments already!


What kind of assignments?

Btw, I also live on the 11th floor. I saw the roach traps set in the trash chute area. hahaha



Glad to see at least SOMEONE here appreciates my artwork! :x

beaniew
Posts: 51
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby beaniew » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:30 pm

To level the playing field, I recommend the following.

Torts: Glannon's E and E, understanding series, and Gilberts law summaries
Property: Gilberts LS
Contracts: Chirlestein (spelling?)
Con law: Chemerinsky (spelling?), E&E
Crim law: Dressler and some other book to learn the black letter law for every crime
Civ pro: Gilberts LS, Glannons multiple choice guide, memorize the salient language of the FRCP.

I never exclusively relied on the supplements, but they all played a role in my studies at some point or another. Often, I would read them on the commute to school or at night before falling asleep. I always read the cases. My main focus there was to find a good holding and to look for any useful policy (only used it when it strengthened my answers). I also reread every major case very quickly (< 5mins) a week before exams. I finished top 2%.

Good luck Hastings 1Ls. Its a fun time.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby missinglink » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:11 am

Can anyone recommend a gym that's reasonably priced? I swung by the gym in the tower, and it's a little lacking in the kind of equipment I want.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby zeth006 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:47 am

missinglink wrote:Can anyone recommend a gym that's reasonably priced? I swung by the gym in the tower, and it's a little lacking in the kind of equipment I want.



Possibly 24-hour with the $449/3 year deal by Costco.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby missinglink » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:18 am

zeth006 wrote:
missinglink wrote:Can anyone recommend a gym that's reasonably priced? I swung by the gym in the tower, and it's a little lacking in the kind of equipment I want.



Possibly 24-hour with the $449/3 year deal by Costco.

Good gravy that's a good deal. The monthly rate through the club is a little over $30 a month.

Although it's a long commitment, I am (let's hope) going to be around for 3 years. And they have a location close to the school and close to where I live currently.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby zeth006 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:27 am

MD/JD2B wrote:Too bad about the roach problem; I've had mice in the past but no roaches; hope Borhas isn't reading this (they left about 10 years ago).
BTW what does LEOP stand for?


Lulz. The roaches seem to have strangely vanished after I placed the traps. I'm not certain the traps are supposed to work their magic this quickly. I'm keeping them around for at least another month before I toss them.



LEOP=Legal Education Opportunity Program (LEOP)

It's unique to Hastings. Think of it as an improvised Affirmative Action assistance program minus treatment based on race. More on Hastings' website.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Borhas » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:23 am

zeth006 wrote:
missinglink wrote:Can anyone recommend a gym that's reasonably priced? I swung by the gym in the tower, and it's a little lacking in the kind of equipment I want.



Possibly 24-hour with the $449/3 year deal by Costco.

is costco accessible by Muni?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”