UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zeth006

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby zeth006 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:24 pm

So what supplement is recommended for Crim?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:38 pm

zeth006 wrote:So what supplement is recommended for Crim?

I'd recommend Dressler Understanding Crim. And I liked Crunchtime for Crim as well.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:25 pm

General Tso wrote:

I'd recommend Dressler Understanding Crim. And I liked Crunchtime for Crim as well.

I've read somewhere that the hornbooks tend to be more policy-oriented. I'm guessing I can expect to see more issue spotter-oriented hypos in the E&Es?

My schedule:

10511 Civil Procedure (Levine)

11011 Contracts (Leib)

11511 Criminal Law (Lee)

13111 – 13117 LWR (instructor varies)

Any chance you or anyone here can give tips and advice on what these profs are like beyond what's said on RMP.com???

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:42 pm

zeth006 wrote:
General Tso wrote:

I've read somewhere that the hornbooks tend to be more policy-oriented. I'm guessing I can expect to see more issue spotter-oriented hypos in the E&Es?

My schedule:

10511 Civil Procedure (Levine)

11011 Contracts (Leib)

11511 Criminal Law (Lee)

13111 – 13117 LWR (instructor varies)

Any chance you or anyone here can give tips and advice on what these profs are like beyond what's said on RMP.com???

pm'ed

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:17 pm

Nice to see insurance for this semester is now under $1k.

squirtle

Postby squirtle » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:37 pm

Anyone else sign up for direct deposit and hear nothing so far? No deposit of $0.00 in your account?

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:54 pm

squirtle wrote:Anyone else sign up for direct deposit and hear nothing so far? No deposit of $0.00 in your account?

Nothing yet for me.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:11 pm

zeth006 wrote:Nice to see insurance for this semester is now under $1k.

Also nice to see we'll have vision and dental. I'm waiting to see what the vision plan looks like. I have an expired contact lens prescription and I'm all out of lenses. I need to find out if that's covered. And if not, I'll be at Costco Vision next week.

I thought direct deposit dispersant was slated for right before the start of school?

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:27 pm

I'm very happy about the insurance changes. I held off some needed cavity fillings before moving b/c I'd planned to use UC Davis' pretty dang good dental coverage. When I decided on Hastings instead, I just reckoned my fillings would have to wait. Now that we've got the same coverage, all is well.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:38 pm

missinglink wrote:Also nice to see we'll have vision and dental. I'm waiting to see what the vision plan looks like. I have an expired contact lens prescription and I'm all out of lenses. I need to find out if that's covered. And if not, I'll be at Costco Vision next week.

I thought direct deposit dispersant was slated for right before the start of school?

+1. I was planning to get a new pair of cheap backup glasses before school but was advised by the health office to wait if I can because the new vision plan might broadly cover even discount places, like Costco I imagine. Hopefully we'll find out soon...

stonepeep

Postby stonepeep » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:48 pm

General Tso wrote:

I'd recommend Dressler Understanding Crim.

Seconded.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:24 pm

missinglink wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Nice to see insurance for this semester is now under $1k.

Also nice to see we'll have vision and dental. I'm waiting to see what the vision plan looks like. I have an expired contact lens prescription and I'm all out of lenses. I need to find out if that's covered. And if not, I'll be at Costco Vision next week.

ozarkhack wrote:I'm very happy about the insurance changes. I held off some needed cavity fillings before moving b/c I'd planned to use UC Davis' pretty dang good dental coverage. When I decided on Hastings instead, I just reckoned my fillings would have to wait. Now that we've got the same coverage, all is well.

Same here. It's been over a year since my last glasses prescription and I figured I might as well get a new checkup.

Are most dentists willing to accept school insurance for cleanings? Will Walmart's Vision Center accept it too? I could end up saving up to $100 or more if I get both soon!

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:54 am

Dammit. I don't wish to scare others moving in. But it seems as though I have a cockroach problem. I've killed about 6 cockroaches since yesterday. All my food is either stored in the fridge or sealed away. Hoping housing does something about this!

weaselology

Postby weaselology » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:11 am

zeth006 wrote:Dammit. I don't wish to scare others moving in. But it seems as though I have a cockroach problem. I've killed about 6 cockroaches since yesterday. All my food is either stored in the fridge or sealed away. Hoping housing does something about this!

What floor are you on? 13 appears ok so far...but I just moved in earlier today.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:14 am

weaselology wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Dammit. I don't wish to scare others moving in. But it seems as though I have a cockroach problem. I've killed about 6 cockroaches since yesterday. All my food is either stored in the fridge or sealed away. Hoping housing does something about this!

What floor are you on? 13 appears ok so far...but I just moved in earlier today.

Ack, thanks for the heads-up. I move in to the 7th floor on Friday (from a long, long 3 blocks away, haha)...I guess it's best to prepare for such a problem and not encounter it.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:24 am

weaselology wrote:

11th.

But don't worry. It's called an infestation for a reason. It's going to your floor. :lol:

weaselology

Postby weaselology » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:26 am

zeth006 wrote:
weaselology wrote:

11th.

But don't worry. It's called an infestation for a reason. It's going to your floor. :lol:

:evil: I dislike this comment more than any I have previously seen on this forum.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:37 am

weaselology wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
weaselology wrote:

11th.

:evil: I dislike this comment more than any I have previously seen on this forum.

With enough luck, Hasting's dedicated pest control should be able to take care of 'em. Already sent an e-mail.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:14 am

You and me both. I'm battling a problem at my current place. The previous tenant apparently didn't leave the place in very good shape. The landlord wasn't pleased to find out about it, and dispatched an exterminator who spread a gel-like poison where they like to congregate.

I've also taken things into my own hands and spread enough boric acid to make my kitchen look like Tony Montana's office. The stuff works wonders, and it's basically non-toxic as long as you don't have any small children or pets.

In the meantime, you live in an apartment building, so it's likely not just you with the problem. That makes it more difficult to fight. In the meantime, you need to be scrupulously clean. Keep food sealed, wipe things down, and if you have an accumulation of boxes from moving, get the boxes out as soon as you can.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:20 am

missinglink wrote:

You and me both. I'm battling a problem at my current place. The previous tenant apparently didn't leave the place in very good shape. The landlord wasn't pleased to find out about it, and dispatched an exterminator who spread a gel-like poison where they like to congregate.

I've also taken things into my own hands and spread enough boric acid to make my kitchen look like Tony Montana's office. The stuff works wonders, and it's basically non-toxic as long as you don't have any small children or pets.

In the meantime, you live in an apartment building, so it's likely not just you with the problem. That makes it more difficult to fight. In the meantime, you need to be scrupulously clean. Keep food sealed, wipe things down, and if you have an accumulation of boxes from moving, get the boxes out as soon as you can.

You too, eh? I've been adding RAID cockroach traps to my shopping list and watch lists on Amazon and eBay just in case pest control does a half-baked job and little else. I'm definitely going to make sure I have some kind of solution down before school starts even if it means installing my own egg-killer traps.

EDIT: If I have time tomorrow, I'll probably check out that boric acid solution. I've read that it's a good egg killer too.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:35 am

missinglink wrote:You and me both. I'm battling a problem at my current place. The previous tenant apparently didn't leave the place in very good shape. The landlord wasn't pleased to find out about it, and dispatched an exterminator who spread a gel-like poison where they like to congregate.

Nice, at least it seems you've got a decent recession proof backup career to fall back on if this law school thing doesn't work out. :lol:

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:58 am

What do you guys think? Should I take the long 1 mile walk to the nearest 24-hour Walgreens and pick up roach bait?? Not sure I can sleep well knowing these critters are wandering around in my 250 sq ft unit!!

EDIT: Unfuckingbelievable. There's a microwave in the garbage chute room that's crawling with roaches. A nest?! I've set 3 traps on and close to it and I'm calling housing first thing in the morning tomorrow.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:59 am

roaches? holy shit man, that's awful

chemo-nuke the fuckers

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:22 pm

If anyone who is not living on campus wants to get their ID early, go see the guards at the entrance of building 198 with some proof that you are a Hastings student. I took a copy of my admissions letter. They will take your picture downstairs and issue your photo ID; the whole process took about 10 minutes.

If someone needs a handcart for moving let me know.

Outside the bookstore, there are free copies of Chambers associates 2010 guide to law firms, including short write-ups on firms and phone numbers which may be of help.

Go Giants!

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:29 pm

MD/JD2B wrote:If anyone who is not living on campus wants to get their ID early, go see the guards at the entrance of building 198 with some proof that you are a Hastings student. I took a copy of my admissions letter. They will take your picture downstairs and issue your photo ID; the whole process took about 10 minutes.

If someone needs a handcart for moving let me know.

Outside the bookstore, there are free copies of Chambers associates 2010 guide to law firms, including short write-ups on firms and phone numbers which may be of help.

Go Giants!

Dumb question. Where is the bookstore located?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”