UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby drdolittle » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:51 pm

missinglink wrote:I snapped up a couple "like-new" copies of books that were priced similarly to "good" copies with highlighting and notes. They are in the mail, so it remains to be seen whether their descriptions were accurate.

The cost of the required books are only the half of it. There's also supplemental books to buy. I'm not really sure what will be useful yet, so I'm holding back on those until I get a better idea of which books are useful and which aren't.


Didn't think the cost difference wold be that much and that there'd be "like new" copies around this late. Are the supplements the cheaper, paperback books listed? Nothing for me is officially marked supplementary.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1677
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby a male human » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:15 pm

I like books that are clearly used so I can abuse it without worrying about keeping it in pristine condition

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Great Satchmo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:56 pm

Do we need anything for legal research and writing? I don't see any casebooks or supplements for the class.

I'm starting the "fun" process of finding what is worth buying used versus buying new, bleh.

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Great Satchmo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:00 pm

Also, for those taking property, what is "Clickers"?

User avatar
l'uccello
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:26 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby l'uccello » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:03 pm

drdolittle wrote:I was just checking the Hastings bookstore website, which apparently also services other law schools. But, WTF are SF Law School, or East Bay Law School, or JFK Law School...? Never heard of these.


jfk is some (i think) unaccredited law school in pleasant hill. but i've never heard of the other two

User avatar
pamcasso
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby pamcasso » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:09 pm

so i went on ratemyprofessors.com to check out my profs and a few supplements are recommended by past students. however some of these posts are a few years old. im anxious to get all the books i need so am tempted to get these supplements but is it smarter to wait in case something has changed since then or is that unlikely?

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Great Satchmo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:12 pm

l'uccello wrote:
drdolittle wrote:I was just checking the Hastings bookstore website, which apparently also services other law schools. But, WTF are SF Law School, or East Bay Law School, or JFK Law School...? Never heard of these.


jfk is some (i think) unaccredited law school in pleasant hill. but i've never heard of the other two


I walked past SF Law School by chance once, it's near lower Haight somewhere. It's also an unaccredited school.

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby drdolittle » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:17 pm

pamcasso wrote:so i went on ratemyprofessors.com to check out my profs and a few supplements are recommended by past students. however some of these posts are a few years old. im anxious to get all the books i need so am tempted to get these supplements but is it smarter to wait in case something has changed since then or is that unlikely?


The biggest savings appear to be on the main texts anyway, so I think I'll stick with getting those from online discounters for now, and figure which supplements are necessary later.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Borhas » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:15 pm

so on August 17th (day before orientation) we'll have the drinking/eating/socialising thing at MDJD2B's and my place... thinking round afternoonish. I'll buy some beer and I think MDJD2B will get the food. I'm just a poor bloke so I probably won't have the variety available for people who are particular about their alcohol, but I'll do my best. And of course you are free to bring your own too. So come around eat, drink, and be merry.

The house is in Forest Hill extension, and even though it looks far away it takes me no more than 15-20 minutes to get from the house to Hastings if use Muni. KLM and I think the T lines as well all cross through the Forest Hill stop... I can get better directions later.

Anyway, if anyone else wants to come let me know, we have about 10 or so at the moment. I'll pm those who will or have expressed interest with my contact information.

User avatar
ozarkhack
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby ozarkhack » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:20 pm

drdolittle wrote:
pamcasso wrote:so i went on ratemyprofessors.com to check out my profs and a few supplements are recommended by past students. however some of these posts are a few years old. im anxious to get all the books i need so am tempted to get these supplements but is it smarter to wait in case something has changed since then or is that unlikely?


The biggest savings appear to be on the main texts anyway, so I think I'll stick with getting those from online discounters for now, and figure which supplements are necessary later.


I jumped in, head first, and bought everything recommended for my section. Except "Clickers." Bought on Amazon, went used on everything. Except for CivPro, which was cheaper used at Hastings bookstore. Which I arrived at just after they'd closed and locked the door. Damn. (So, in order not to waste a trip, more beer-n-Internet at Lalita.)

Now, all I have to do is pray the books for Torts come in on the earlier side of the estimated Aug. 13-30 spectrum.

Ultimately, looks like I'll be able to get out of this around $350-$400. I was expecting much, much worse.

User avatar
pamcasso
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby pamcasso » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:25 pm

ozarkhack wrote:
drdolittle wrote:
pamcasso wrote:so i went on ratemyprofessors.com to check out my profs and a few supplements are recommended by past students. however some of these posts are a few years old. im anxious to get all the books i need so am tempted to get these supplements but is it smarter to wait in case something has changed since then or is that unlikely?


The biggest savings appear to be on the main texts anyway, so I think I'll stick with getting those from online discounters for now, and figure which supplements are necessary later.


I jumped in, head first, and bought everything recommended for my section. Except "Clickers." Bought on Amazon, went used on everything. Except for CivPro, which was cheaper used at Hastings bookstore. Which I arrived at just after they'd closed and locked the door. Damn. (So, in order not to waste a trip, more beer-n-Internet at Lalita.)

Now, all I have to do is pray the books for Torts come in on the earlier side of the estimated Aug. 13-30 spectrum.

Ultimately, looks like I'll be able to get out of this around $350-$400. I was expecting much, much worse.


what is Clickers exactly?

edit: +1 on the aug 13-30 delivery range anxiety

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby zeth006 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:32 pm

pamcasso wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:
drdolittle wrote:
pamcasso wrote:so i went on ratemyprofessors.com to check out my profs and a few supplements are recommended by past students. however some of these posts are a few years old. im anxious to get all the books i need so am tempted to get these supplements but is it smarter to wait in case something has changed since then or is that unlikely?


The biggest savings appear to be on the main texts anyway, so I think I'll stick with getting those from online discounters for now, and figure which supplements are necessary later.


I jumped in, head first, and bought everything recommended for my section. Except "Clickers." Bought on Amazon, went used on everything. Except for CivPro, which was cheaper used at Hastings bookstore. Which I arrived at just after they'd closed and locked the door. Damn. (So, in order not to waste a trip, more beer-n-Internet at Lalita.)

Now, all I have to do is pray the books for Torts come in on the earlier side of the estimated Aug. 13-30 spectrum.

Ultimately, looks like I'll be able to get out of this around $350-$400. I was expecting much, much worse.


what is Clickers exactly?

edit: +1 on the aug 13-30 delivery range anxiety


HAH. Amazon gives you a late and wide range of delivery dates on purpose so you can't scream at them for being slow. I ordered a book last night that had an estimated delivery date of the 12th that shipped this morning. It's being shipped via Prime so it should arrive Monday or Tuesday.

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby drdolittle » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:37 pm

pamcasso wrote:edit: +1 on the aug 13-30 delivery range anxiety


Never heard of clickers.

Yeah, I'm hoping my stuff will get here sooner than later in that window too. Weird thing was that amazon, or rather the seller, didn't even offer expedited shipping. I'm also a little nervous about their "like new" categorization, and I won't have time to return anything if it's a scam.

User avatar
ozarkhack
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby ozarkhack » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:37 pm

Nobody knows what Clickers is. The ISBN doesn't appear to exist, either.

Far as I know, it's what Mammaw calls the remote control. I imagine this is something different.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Borhas » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:44 pm

pamcasso wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:
drdolittle wrote:
pamcasso wrote:so i went on ratemyprofessors.com to check out my profs and a few supplements are recommended by past students. however some of these posts are a few years old. im anxious to get all the books i need so am tempted to get these supplements but is it smarter to wait in case something has changed since then or is that unlikely?


The biggest savings appear to be on the main texts anyway, so I think I'll stick with getting those from online discounters for now, and figure which supplements are necessary later.


I jumped in, head first, and bought everything recommended for my section. Except "Clickers." Bought on Amazon, went used on everything. Except for CivPro, which was cheaper used at Hastings bookstore. Which I arrived at just after they'd closed and locked the door. Damn. (So, in order not to waste a trip, more beer-n-Internet at Lalita.)

Now, all I have to do is pray the books for Torts come in on the earlier side of the estimated Aug. 13-30 spectrum.

Ultimately, looks like I'll be able to get out of this around $350-$400. I was expecting much, much worse.


what is Clickers exactly?

edit: +1 on the aug 13-30 delivery range anxiety


Amazon Prime free for a year if you are a student

(free 2 day shipping)
1 day shipping for 3.99!

I highly recommend getting it before school starts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info

User avatar
pamcasso
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:28 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby pamcasso » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:44 pm

Borhas wrote:
pamcasso wrote:
what is Clickers exactly?

edit: +1 on the aug 13-30 delivery range anxiety


Amazon Prime free for a year if you are a student

(free 2 day shipping)
1 day shipping for 3.99!

I highly recommend getting it before school starts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/student/signup/info


yeah i have that its the best! but since i bought used books i couldnt really use it. and i second the post about sellers not offering expedited shipping. what jerks

unrelated- is it lame that i want there to be a TLS iphone app

User avatar
mnolen
Posts: 206
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:19 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby mnolen » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:05 pm

Clickers are like little remote hand heldy thingies that you can use to vote on stuff in class and it will show up immediately, like if the professor gives you a hypo. I realize that was a very abstract and complex description but I'm too lazy to change it, sry.

You don't need a casebook/supp for LWR; everyone is required to purchase a student handbook and you'll get handouts in class for your particular section's memo topic.

The class that some people are in (Sec. 3 I guess) is a pilot program that was designed this summer that's more in depth legal writing based around subject matter that you actually learn. In LWR, you write memos about law that you haven't actually learned about in class (for example, I wrote about public disclosure of private fact) so you're forced to do research solely for the purpose of your writing. From what I understand, the pilot program goes more in depth about the educational aspect. I don't know any specifics, but I can probably find out, as one of my good friends helped design it.

User avatar
stonepeep
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:08 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby stonepeep » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:54 pm

On the subject of buying books, I have a bunch of supplements (mostly E&Es, plus some other stuff) I'd be willing to part with for $5-$10 each. I just want the damn things out of my bookshelf and I'm way too lazy to put them up on Amazon.

Lemme know if interested. I'd probably just want to meet with any buyers on campus once school starts.

haileysnotapunk
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:06 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby haileysnotapunk » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:23 pm

Sorry if this has been answered before...

but I am wondering what supplements or briefs people recommend for CivPro, Contracts and Torts? I have Hazard for CivPro, Lefstin for Contracts and Diamond for Torts.

Any and all advice would be helpful to this nervous 0L :)

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby zeth006 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:30 pm

haileysnotapunk wrote:Sorry if this has been answered before...

but I am wondering what supplements or briefs people recommend for CivPro, Contracts and Torts? I have Hazard for CivPro, Lefstin for Contracts and Diamond for Torts.

Any and all advice would be helpful to this nervous 0L :)


We're all waiting to find out. Seems to be a lot of disagreement over what's good.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby missinglink » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:11 pm

zeth006 wrote:
haileysnotapunk wrote:Sorry if this has been answered before...

but I am wondering what supplements or briefs people recommend for CivPro, Contracts and Torts? I have Hazard for CivPro, Lefstin for Contracts and Diamond for Torts.

Any and all advice would be helpful to this nervous 0L :)


We're all waiting to find out. Seems to be a lot of disagreement over what's good.

I think also a lot depends on how your professor teaches a certain course, and what concepts are emphasized. Some books will useful in certain instances, and less useful in others.

That said, I have compiled a list of books I plan to buy to supplement the course material. But first I want to see the courses, and maybe look at the books on at the library when I get the chance.

There's a lot in the forum archives here to read about supplements if you want to dive into that.

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby General Tso » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:59 pm

zeth006 wrote:
haileysnotapunk wrote:Sorry if this has been answered before...

but I am wondering what supplements or briefs people recommend for CivPro, Contracts and Torts? I have Hazard for CivPro, Lefstin for Contracts and Diamond for Torts.

Any and all advice would be helpful to this nervous 0L :)


We're all waiting to find out. Seems to be a lot of disagreement over what's good.


E&E is absolute must for Civpro. Others like The Glannon Guide.
For Torts, I would think the supplement written by Diamond himself would be a good place to start --> http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Tor ... 363&sr=8-1
For Contracts, I liked Crunchtime, and E&E was okay. Most people say Chirelstein is the best K's supplement.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby zeth006 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:21 am

General Tso wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
haileysnotapunk wrote:Sorry if this has been answered before...

but I am wondering what supplements or briefs people recommend for CivPro, Contracts and Torts? I have Hazard for CivPro, Lefstin for Contracts and Diamond for Torts.

Any and all advice would be helpful to this nervous 0L :)


We're all waiting to find out. Seems to be a lot of disagreement over what's good.


E&E is absolute must for Civpro. Others like The Glannon Guide.
For Torts, I would think the supplement written by Diamond himself would be a good place to start --> http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Tor ... 363&sr=8-1
For Contracts, I liked Crunchtime, and E&E was okay. Most people say Chirelstein is the best K's supplement.



Thanks for the tips. I'll probably be doing some extra book cruisin' tonight.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby missinglink » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:35 am

I thought I would flag this. I know zeth006 had mentioned being unable to rent a car because of his age. These guys will let you sign up as an 18+.

--LinkRemoved--

Having thought about the pluses and minuses, I'm going to be ditching my car pretty soon and signing up for City Care Share or Zip Car, once I investigate the differences. Although it isn't too difficult right now to move my car for street cleaning, the thought of always having to more or less plan my schedule around when I can move my car doesn't sound like a good idea.

What sealed the deal is I finally walked to the Wed/Sun farmer's market today. A nice selection of produce, from the basic to the obscure. And very decent prices. I can't see needing to use a car more than twice a month now. And then it would be just to pick up random things.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby zeth006 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:05 am

missinglink wrote:I thought I would flag this. I know zeth006 had mentioned being unable to rent a car because of his age. These guys will let you sign up as an 18+.

--LinkRemoved--

Having thought about the pluses and minuses, I'm going to be ditching my car pretty soon and signing up for City Care Share or Zip Car, once I investigate the differences. Although it isn't too difficult right now to move my car for street cleaning, the thought of always having to more or less plan my schedule around when I can move my car doesn't sound like a good idea.

What sealed the deal is I finally walked to the Wed/Sun farmer's market today. A nice selection of produce, from the basic to the obscure. And very decent prices. I can't see needing to use a car more than twice a month now. And then it would be just to pick up random things.


Yeah, I agree. I need to plain my schedule around the farmer's market too as I don't trust in the quality and freshness of the produce sold in some of the mom n' pop shops. There's a farmer's market that stays tented up until about 6pm on Sundays that I missed while picking up some stuff from Safeway. The only items I'll probably nab from the little grocery stores are milk, water, bread, and cheese. Everything else is Safeway or Farmer's.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ericb1228, hopstoopid, JazzyMac, jyzhao3, nahmjun and 8 guests