UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zeth006

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby zeth006 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:56 pm

Borhas wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
tttn wrote:hi guys-maybe this has been answered already, but anybody know when we get our hastings ids? kind of a pain to keep signing into security when you just want to go into the building to go to bookstore or something...

Got mine just yesterday...

how?

Talk to the old dude at the front desk. I believe he has packets sorted out by Tower room numbers. He will give you a packet that contains your room key, your lease agreement, the room condition form, and an additional form which you will need to take to the 200 Hastings building to the security office from which you will need to take the elevator to the basement floor. A security officer will take your photo, create an ID with it, then go over what you can do with the ID, etc. That's that.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:04 pm

Blech. Waiting for my damn fridge to arrive by 8pm. Can't wait until my cart arrives so I can jam pack it with groceries and start cooking meals instead of eating out.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:35 pm

zeth006 wrote:
Borhas wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
tttn wrote:hi guys-maybe this has been answered already, but anybody know when we get our hastings ids? kind of a pain to keep signing into security when you just want to go into the building to go to bookstore or something...

Got mine just yesterday...

how?

Talk to the old dude at the front desk. I believe he has packets sorted out by Tower room numbers. He will give you a packet that contains your room key, your lease agreement, the room condition form, and an additional form which you will need to take to the 200 Hastings building to the security office from which you will need to take the elevator to the basement floor. A security officer will take your photo, create an ID with it, then go over what you can do with the ID, etc. That's that.

so that doen't apply to off campus housing folks?

I'll ask em about it tomorrow

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:58 pm

Probably a good idea. Not a whole lot I can tell ya as a 0L.

maybesheis

Postby maybesheis » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:06 pm

zeth006 wrote:Hey all,

I have another question. I just moved into my efficiency unit and have to say that it's pretty cold in here! Cold air just seeps through the poorly sealed windows. It seems to me the heating system doesn't work.

Besides wearing jackets and sweaters while inside, what do you guys do to stay warm

I slept with tons of clothes on huddled beside the radiator last night. I wish fedex would hurry and bring my boxes with my blankets.

HobbitCat

Postby HobbitCat » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:16 pm

Does anyone know how to update the address in "bank information" on WebAdvisor? I am trying to set up direct deposit but I can't find a way to update that address.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:32 pm

HobbitCat wrote:Does anyone know how to update the address in "bank information" on WebAdvisor? I am trying to set up direct deposit but I can't find a way to update that address.

I was having this issue, I looked everywhere on the website for some easy solutio

apparantly, the only way to update our address is to email admissions (they deal with us until we officially become 1L's) and let them know

tttn

Postby tttn » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:46 pm

so that doen't apply to off campus housing folks?

I'll ask em about it tomorrow
[/quote]

thanks...keep us posted on what you find out!

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:06 am

maybesheis wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Hey all,

I have another question. I just moved into my efficiency unit and have to say that it's pretty cold in here! Cold air just seeps through the poorly sealed windows. It seems to me the heating system doesn't work.

Besides wearing jackets and sweaters while inside, what do you guys do to stay warm

I slept with tons of clothes on huddled beside the radiator last night. I wish fedex would hurry and bring my boxes with my blankets.

Haha. I pushed the window down with extra force to seal out any air coming in and slept with a sweater on last night. I have a heater from Amazon coming in a few days.

Figured why not with the fall/winter months approaching. The heater in my unit sucks anyway.

maybesheis

Postby maybesheis » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:23 am

Anyone else in Section 3 have a clue why we have an extra class (law in context)?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:34 am

maybesheis wrote:Anyone else in Section 3 have a clue why we have an extra class (law in context)?

I was wondering about this too, fwiw. I don't recall seeing that class listed in that email describing the first year curriculum sent by a dean some weeks ago.

maybesheis

Postby maybesheis » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:40 am

drdolittle wrote:
maybesheis wrote:Anyone else in Section 3 have a clue why we have an extra class (law in context)?

I was wondering about this too, fwiw. I don't recall seeing that class listed in that email describing the first year curriculum sent by a dean some weeks ago.

It's a new class meant to replace LW&R, but that class is on the schedule too. They have a description of it online. I guess we're test subjects? I don't want extra work.

--LinkRemoved--

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:56 am

maybesheis wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

It's a new class meant to replace LW&R, but that class is on the schedule too. They have a description of it online. I guess we're test subjects? I don't want extra work.

--LinkRemoved--

That actually sounds pretty cool. And you get an extra non-GPA credit.

2stitches

Postby 2stitches » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:22 pm

Oooh I got that LinC class too! *waves to fellow section 3ers* First reaction was anger, followed quickly by abject depression. Now I'm at meh. Maybe it will help with LW&R. On the other hand, it's two extra hours of class, plus assignments. Even if it doesn't figure into our GPAs, doesn't it put us at a bit of a disadvantage to have to spend extra time on this class during our first semester?

I'm done bemoaning my fate. I want beer now.

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:38 pm

Yeah, I'd be pretty pissed depending on the advantages of the class if I had that. Why does only one section have it?

pamcasso

Postby pamcasso » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:11 pm

im ordering my books right now....is there no type of book for the legal writing class? just want to make sure before i put in my order

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:18 pm

pamcasso wrote:im ordering my books right now....is there no type of book for the legal writing class? just want to make sure before i put in my order

Where are you ordering from? How big are the savings? What's their return policy? I'm just trying to decide if I should do this, or just get everything from from the bookstore. They offer some sort of discount as I recall.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:20 pm

drdolittle wrote:
pamcasso wrote:im ordering my books right now....is there no type of book for the legal writing class? just want to make sure before i put in my order

Where are you ordering from? How big are the savings? What's their return policy? I'm just trying to decide if I should do this, or just get everything from from the bookstore. They offer some sort of discount as I recall.

I'm ordering from various websites, through the secondary market (half.com, amazon.com, etc). I'm just basically looking for a used copy that is in good condition. The prices are about half that of the bookstore's used books.

The only reason I can see one would order from the bookstore is convenience. For price, you can do better by looking around at used books.

pamcasso

Postby pamcasso » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:34 pm

drdolittle wrote:

im getting some from amazon...but i'm ordering a few from the bookstore either because the used on amazon aren't marked "very good" (i'm particular), the price difference is minor, or the book i need is new (so no used copies). but what i'll save on even one casebook alone makes me happy :D

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:37 pm

I snapped up a couple "like-new" copies of books that were priced similarly to "good" copies with highlighting and notes. They are in the mail, so it remains to be seen whether their descriptions were accurate.

The cost of the required books are only the half of it. There's also supplemental books to buy. I'm not really sure what will be useful yet, so I'm holding back on those until I get a better idea of which books are useful and which aren't.

pamcasso

Postby pamcasso » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:42 pm

missinglink wrote:I snapped up a couple "like-new" copies of books that were priced similarly to "good" copies with highlighting and notes. They are in the mail, so it remains to be seen whether their descriptions were accurate.

The cost of the required books are only the half of it. There's also supplemental books to buy. I'm not really sure what will be useful yet, so I'm holding back on those until I get a better idea of which books are useful and which aren't.

+1 to the supplements. although when i was ordering one of my casebooks under the section that says what other people bought with it there was a case summary book thing keyed to the casebook so i ordered it as well....smart move i hope? it was only $4 used so i couldnt pass it up

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Some bastards snapped up the remaining cheap copies of the Civ Pro casebook. I was planning to buy one this morning...but now they're all gone. :evil:

Oh well. If I don't see one that's significantly cheaper for a while, I'm going to stop by the bookstore and pick it up.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:52 pm

I was just checking the Hastings bookstore website, which apparently also services other law schools. But, WTF are SF Law School, or East Bay Law School, or JFK Law School...? Never heard of these.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:56 pm

zeth006 wrote:Some bastards snapped up the remaining cheap copies of the Civ Pro casebook. I was planning to buy one this morning...but now they're all gone. :evil:

Oh well. If I don't see one that's significantly cheaper for a while, I'm going to stop by the bookstore and pick it up.

After I saw one book I was watching in 'very good / like new' condition get snapped up, I stayed up 'till about 1am last night after I got home late to order the rest of the books I had found fairly cheap.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:07 pm

missinglink wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Some bastards snapped up the remaining cheap copies of the Civ Pro casebook. I was planning to buy one this morning...but now they're all gone. :evil:

After I saw one book I was watching in 'very good / like new' condition get snapped up, I stayed up 'till about 1am last night after I got home late to order the rest of the books I had found fairly cheap.

Damn. That's one other item I have to worry about buying.

Oh well. Off to shower and load up on groceries.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”