UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Great Satchmo

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:02 pm

I have 8:30am class Monday through Thursday, but I don't have class on Friday.

Not happy about early class 4 days a week, but I'll take it if it means a 3 day weekend. At least I'm in the tower so that an 8:30am class won't be too tough.

I have torts, property, contracts, and legal research and writing.

EDIT:

I have 15 credits, 14 real and the 1 billing class credit.

squirtle

Postby squirtle » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:06 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:I have 8:30am class Monday through Thursday, but I don't have class on Friday.

Not happy about early class 4 days a week, but I'll take it if it means a 3 day weekend. At least I'm in the tower so that an 8:30am class won't be too tough.

EDIT:

Looks like we're in the same section braahhhh

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:16 pm

Borhas wrote:[public service announcement]

not sure what seurat is but, as I've said before, my land lord (MDJD2B) and I are trying to organize a meet up (BBQ/drinking/fun) at the house (and it's a pretty dope house). I'm not the most sociable person ever, but it would be great to get to know other people, and more tha just making study clicks but actually becoming friends and creating a community feeling at school. We'll all be better off for it. You are all invited of course, figure it out here or facebook. You don't have to cede your annonymity either if thats a problem.

Send me PM's and we'll try to figure somehing out before orientation

Seurat: Image

And you have a PM 8)

l'uccello

Postby l'uccello » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:21 pm

squirtle wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:I have 8:30am class Monday through Thursday, but I don't have class on Friday.

EDIT:

Looks like we're in the same section braahhhh

same!

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:32 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:Seurat: Image

You've got that entire "Sunday Afternoon..." painting tattooed somewhere?! :shock:

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:19 pm

drdolittle wrote:You've got that entire "Sunday Afternoon..." painting tattooed somewhere?! :shock:

Well, as entirely as one can adapt that painting to fit on an arm.

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:17 am

I second Borhas' invite to the house for a BBQ.. we will pick a time(s)

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:02 am

stonepeep wrote:
a male human wrote:Well, that's pretty unfair. Don't recruiters look at your first-semester grades?

I don't really see how it's unfair... all of the subjects are the same difficulty, more or less, and what one person finds difficult another person finds easy. I don't think it matters at all which classes you take first semester, as far as finding your 1L job goes. Also, you make me chuckle talking about "recruiters," because trust me, no one will be recruiting you. There are plenty of people who will be glad to hire you for your free labor, but it's not like they'll be going out of their way to solicit applications.

Just out of curiosity since we can't pick and choose, but is there an "ideal" order (meaning best suited for the average 1L) to take the variable classes?

I don't think it really matters. A common opinion is that because Crim and Torts are the most interesting classes (in that they have interesting/weird cases), it's nice to take them in different semesters, so that you always have one "fun" class. But it's not something I would worry about or even give a second thought to, since a) you can't change it and b) any impact it might have on you will be negligible at best.

a) HAI THERE. I'm stalking you. You were on TLS @ work. I'm soooo telling.

b) everyone believe her because she's right about everything. I will say that I had Crim and Torts first semester, which left Property and Contracts for second semester... not fun for me, as Ks and Property were my two least favorite classes of the semester. I think we were the only section that had it that way, though. I think it's pretty random, so just deal.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:50 am

Hey all,

I have another question. I just moved into my efficiency unit and have to say that it's pretty cold in here! Cold air just seeps through the poorly sealed windows. It seems to me the heating system doesn't work.

Besides wearing jackets and sweaters while inside, what do you guys do to stay warm

k77

Postby k77 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:25 pm

zeth006 wrote:Hey all,

I have another question. I just moved into my efficiency unit and have to say that it's pretty cold in here! Cold air just seeps through the poorly sealed windows. It seems to me the heating system doesn't work.

Besides wearing jackets and sweaters while inside, what do you guys do to stay warm

Is it safe to assume you're talking about the tower? If so, yee haw, more to look forward to... :|

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:41 pm

k77 wrote:

Is it safe to assume you're talking about the tower? If so, yee haw, more to look forward to... :|

You assume correctly. I'm going to hunt down a plug-in heater and probably keep it on all the time as utilities are free.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:04 pm

yeah 50 degrees + overcast+damp+ wind is not what I expected for August

If you are paying utility I would improve the insulation first. There are fuzzy stff you can buy that will stick to the bottom of the window and keep it insulated

if not paying for utility, then buy a space heater

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:17 pm

Borhas wrote:

yeah 50 degrees + overcast+damp+ wind is not what I expected for August

If you are paying utility I would improve the insulation first. There are fuzzy stff you can buy that will stick to the bottom of the window and keep it insulated

if not paying for utility, then buy a space heater

Or do both. I'd rather not keep it on 24/7.

Can you recommend one type or brand of the sealing stuff?

EDIT: One other question. I'm planning to use the muni on and off while I'm here. I got a Clipper card free via mail. If I don't want to buy some $60 or $70 monthly pass and use the muni intermittently, do I need to just fill my Clipper card with whatever cash value I'm willing to spend depending on my usage?

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:53 pm

I'd think the $60/$70 muni pass would be worth it. But then, I live a little further out from campus.

Meanwhile: My sked isn't so bad. Only 1 Friday class (CivPro), and it's done by noon.

Also, now that I'm finally in the city and more or less set up, I'm ready for some party. Fill me in on details.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:39 pm

zeth006 wrote:EDIT: One other question. I'm planning to use the muni on and off while I'm here. I got a Clipper card free via mail. If I don't want to buy some $60 or $70 monthly pass and use the muni intermittently, do I need to just fill my Clipper card with whatever cash value I'm willing to spend depending on my usage?

That's what I'd do for convenience, if you don't plan on using Muni at least once or more a day. But knowing the wonderful service provided by Muni historically, I'd fully expect the Clipper to not work as well as planned, at least initially, so it might be safer to start off just buying fares as needed and then switch to using Clipper once the system's been in place for a few months.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:43 pm

drdolittle wrote:
zeth006 wrote:EDIT: One other question. I'm planning to use the muni on and off while I'm here. I got a Clipper card free via mail. If I don't want to buy some $60 or $70 monthly pass and use the muni intermittently, do I need to just fill my Clipper card with whatever cash value I'm willing to spend depending on my usage?

That's what I'd do for convenience, if you don't plan on using Muni at least once or more a day. But knowing the wonderful service provided by Muni historically, I'd fully expect the Clipper to not work as well as planned, at least initially, so it might be safer to start off just buying fares as needed and then switch to using Clipper once the system's been in place for a few months.

How/where do I buy ticket/fares? Do I need to stop by a BART station? I take it the Muni buses don't accept cash?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:47 pm

just found out I've been charged $1210 for Tower rent, without actually ever signing a lease or moving in

WTF

one more set of BS to deal with

I recommend anyone that filled out a Tower application, and then decided to live elsewhere to check their account summary and make sure you werent accidentally charged

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:51 pm

zeth006 wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

How/where do I buy ticket/fares? Do I need to stop by a BART station? I take it the Muni buses don't accept cash?

No, buses do accept cash. As do the streetcars/metro/subway cars. For Bart/Caltrain tickets, there're vending machines at each station. The machines are hard to use for the first time, but the idea is that you fill the ticket to the dollar and cent amount required for your destination, which varies depending on how far you go.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:53 pm

Borhas wrote:just found out I've been charged $1210 for Tower rent, without actually ever signing a lease or moving in

WTF

I recommend anyone that filled out a Tower application, and then decided to live elsewhere to check their account summary and make sure you werent accidentally charged

Yeah, that's BS. Not too surprising though. Where did you find the charge?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:57 pm

Found a fridge. Pricey, but doable.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:52 pm

Guess y'all what live in the tower might know this already, but FYI:

Hastings' wifi extends to the Thai restaurant, just east of the tower, from which I'm enjoying a beer while fiance hopefully nails her job interview down the street.

tttn

Postby tttn » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:30 pm

hi guys-maybe this has been answered already, but anybody know when we get our hastings ids? kind of a pain to keep signing into security when you just want to go into the building to go to bookstore or something...

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:39 pm

drdolittle wrote:
Borhas wrote:just found out I've been charged $1210 for Tower rent, without actually ever signing a lease or moving in

WTF

Yeah, that's BS. Not too surprising though. Where did you find the charge?

account summary on web adviser

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:42 pm

tttn wrote:hi guys-maybe this has been answered already, but anybody know when we get our hastings ids? kind of a pain to keep signing into security when you just want to go into the building to go to bookstore or something...

Got mine just yesterday...

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:52 pm

zeth006 wrote:
tttn wrote:hi guys-maybe this has been answered already, but anybody know when we get our hastings ids? kind of a pain to keep signing into security when you just want to go into the building to go to bookstore or something...

Got mine just yesterday...

how?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”