UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
drdolittle

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby drdolittle » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:25 pm

a male human wrote:One of my "classes" is a billing class, and I don't see legal writing/moot court. Are we supposed to pick that ourselves?

My LW&R got assigned. Yeah, that 1 cred place holder/billing class is still on my schedule, but now there're 14 other real creds on my schedule too.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:27 pm

I guess they don't assign classes all at once, or maybe they're in the process of inputting the data.

I still have the billing class placeholder.

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:31 pm

Oh all right, thanks. And I forgot moot court is spring only.

In one of the emails we got before, it listed the courses we'll be taking first year. I noticed most of them were for either fall or spring, and my schedule has property and criminal law. Does this mean some of our classmates will have torts (for example) and not others?

I wanna take torts instead of criminal law fall semester... but not sure if I should be messing around with the registration page.

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:22 pm

I have property and criminal law (and legal writing and Civ Pro); I don't think they let you switch; would have preferred Torts as well.

maybesheis

Postby maybesheis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:15 pm

Does anyone know of walmart/target type store near Hastings? Thanks!

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:19 pm

maybesheis wrote:Does anyone know of walmart/target type store near Hastings? Thanks!

Doesn't exist...you have to drive south of SF, down the peninsula to Serramonte to get to target, and walmart is even further out. There are also some options in the east bay across the Bay Bridge. Nothing like target or wal mart exists in the city of SF...though they are talking about building one on Masonic at Geary...but that's a while away if at all.

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:31 pm

You can get to Target in about 20 minutes in non-rush traffic. It's worth the trip for basic stuff.

maybesheis

Postby maybesheis » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:31 pm

Yeah, google was turning up dry, so I thought it may not exist. Where would I go to get cheap stuff like towels, pillows, dishes and such?

Regionality wrote:
maybesheis wrote:Does anyone know of walmart/target type store near Hastings? Thanks!

Doesn't exist...you have to drive south of SF, down the peninsula to Serramonte to get to target, and walmart is even further out. There are also some options in the east bay across the Bay Bridge. Nothing like target or wal mart exists in the city of SF...though they are talking about building one on Masonic at Geary...but that's a while away if at all.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Not like we can do anything about it since classes are assigned, but are some LW&R instructors really hit or miss? From their bios they seem accomplished enough, but I'd expect their teaching ability to be more variable than profs, who I'm sure aren't uniform either.

azukibeanlove

Postby azukibeanlove » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:43 pm

Just got my classes. Do you guys think they release this data by sections?

stonepeep

Postby stonepeep » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:25 am

a male human wrote:I wanna take torts instead of criminal law fall semester... but not sure if I should be messing around with the registration page.

You don't get to choose any of your classes Fall semester of 1L. During Spring semester you can choose which elective class to take (one of 5 choices) and can choose your Moot Court prof.

All of the sections should have Civ Pro first semester but other than that it varies. We had Contracts and Crim while others had Torts and Property, or Torts and Contracts, etc.

And yes, as in any job, some LWR profs are better than others. I never heard any complaints about any of them being terrible, though. It's more about how well their teaching style works for you.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:45 am

stonepeep wrote:
a male human wrote:I wanna take torts instead of criminal law fall semester... but not sure if I should be messing around with the registration page.

You don't get to choose any of your classes Fall semester of 1L. During Spring semester you can choose which elective class to take (one of 5 choices) and can choose your Moot Court prof.

All of the sections should have Civ Pro first semester but other than that it varies. We had Contracts and Crim while others had Torts and Property, or Torts and Contracts, etc.

And yes, as in any job, some LWR profs are better than others. I never heard any complaints about any of them being terrible, though. It's more about how well their teaching style works for you.

Well, that's pretty unfair. Don't recruiters look at your first-semester grades?

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:51 am

Still no classes.

Is anyone planning to go to that international law thing this Thursday? I mostly would just go for the free food.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:31 am

stonepeep wrote:All of the sections should have Civ Pro first semester but other than that it varies. We had Contracts and Crim while others had Torts and Property, or Torts and Contracts, etc.

Just out of curiosity since we can't pick and choose, but is there an "ideal" order (meaning best suited for the average 1L) to take the variable classes?

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:07 am

Whoever goes to the international law seminar, could you please report on whaty you thought of it? Thanks.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:26 pm

maybesheis wrote:Yeah, google was turning up dry, so I thought it may not exist. Where would I go to get cheap stuff like towels, pillows, dishes and such?

Regionality wrote:

There's a Bed, Bath and Beyond downtown, and if you're thinking really cheap, there are awesome places for used stuff (for the dishes...not so much into the used linen scene) like Thrift Town in the mission or Salvation Army (multiple locations throughout the city).

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Regionality wrote:
maybesheis wrote:Yeah, google was turning up dry, so I thought it may not exist. Where would I go to get cheap stuff like towels, pillows, dishes and such?

Regionality wrote:

There's a Bed, Bath and Beyond downtown, and if you're thinking really cheap, there are awesome places for used stuff (for the dishes...not so much into the used linen scene) like Thrift Town in the mission or Salvation Army (multiple locations throughout the city).

Best reason to go to the Bed Bath and Beyond downtown - right next to Trader Joe's and Peets. :D

stonepeep

Postby stonepeep » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:44 pm

a male human wrote:Well, that's pretty unfair. Don't recruiters look at your first-semester grades?

I don't really see how it's unfair... all of the subjects are the same difficulty, more or less, and what one person finds difficult another person finds easy. I don't think it matters at all which classes you take first semester, as far as finding your 1L job goes. Also, you make me chuckle talking about "recruiters," because trust me, no one will be recruiting you. There are plenty of people who will be glad to hire you for your free labor, but it's not like they'll be going out of their way to solicit applications.

Just out of curiosity since we can't pick and choose, but is there an "ideal" order (meaning best suited for the average 1L) to take the variable classes?

I don't think it really matters. A common opinion is that because Crim and Torts are the most interesting classes (in that they have interesting/weird cases), it's nice to take them in different semesters, so that you always have one "fun" class. But it's not something I would worry about or even give a second thought to, since a) you can't change it and b) any impact it might have on you will be negligible at best.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:49 pm

Nice! Got my class schedule. Torts, Contracts, Legal Writing and Civil Procedure. Legal Writing goes late on Wed (6:50 pm) - bummer.

Other than that, on Tues Thurs and Fri I'm done before Noon.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:58 pm

missinglink wrote:Nice! Got my class schedule. Torts, Contracts, Legal Writing and Civil Procedure. Legal Writing goes late on Wed (6:50 pm) - bummer.

I think most if not all LW&R classes go late since the instructors typically have real day jobs. At least they're only once a week, plus 6:50 pm isn't too bad anyway.

l'uccello

Postby l'uccello » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:16 pm

Got my schedule...Torts, property, contracts and lw&r in the afternoon ....so happy

edit: also, looks like i dont have classes on Friday....i didnt know that was possible?
Last edited by l'uccello on Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boomshokalocka

Postby boomshokalocka » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:23 pm

missinglink wrote:Nice! Got my class schedule. Torts, Contracts, Legal Writing and Civil Procedure. Legal Writing goes late on Wed (6:50 pm) - bummer.

Looks like we're in the same section as I've got the exact same schedule. Wednesdays are going to be rough...

squirtle

Postby squirtle » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:39 pm

Damn, I thought everyone was supposed to be registered for Civ. Pro

I got Torts, Property, Contracts, and legal writing. confused

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Got an email this afternoon about Hastings site licenses for Microsoft software. There're a couple of different packages available for Windows. Anyone know if it's worth getting Office Enterprise (2007) over just plain old Office (2010)? Looks like Enterprise has a few more programs I've never used/heard of before.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:31 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
a male human wrote:You guys should all go to orientation and say hi to me ("wave your hand back if you are a male human!") because I'll be too shy to approach anyone.

Trust me, I'm the same. But like it or not, we'll have to make friends fast if we want to form weekly study groups.

Not that I'm really advocating that we cede our anonymity on TLS, but if the Hastings people here ever want to meet up to share tips and outlines, I'd be totally down for it.

I'm definitely into getting together to share in some group anxiety.

If you see a guy with a Seurat tattoo covering an arm, come say hi...unless of course I end up not being the only 1L at Hastings this year with one, but that'd just be silly.

[public service announcement]

not sure what seurat is but, as I've said before, my land lord (MDJD2B) and I are trying to organize a meet up (BBQ/drinking/fun) at the house (and it's a pretty dope house). I'm not the most sociable person ever, but it would be great to get to know other people, and more tha just making study clicks but actually becoming friends and creating a community feeling at school. We'll all be better off for it. You are all invited of course, figure it out here or facebook. You don't have to cede your annonymity either if thats a problem.

Send me PM's and we'll try to figure somehing out before orientation

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”