UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tgbyhnasdf
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:10 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby tgbyhnasdf » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:54 pm

zeth006 wrote:Dumb question. Does the Tower have mattresses already, or do we need to buy our own.


The Tower is completely unfurnished in terms of bedding and furniture.

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Great Satchmo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:20 pm

zeth006 wrote:
a male human wrote:You guys should all go to orientation and say hi to me ("wave your hand back if you are a male human!") because I'll be too shy to approach anyone.


Trust me, I'm the same. But like it or not, we'll have to make friends fast if we want to form weekly study groups.

Not that I'm really advocating that we cede our anonymity on TLS, but if the Hastings people here ever want to meet up to share tips and outlines, I'd be totally down for it.


I'm definitely into getting together to share in some group anxiety.

If you see a guy with a Seurat tattoo covering an arm, come say hi...unless of course I end up not being the only 1L at Hastings this year with one, but that'd just be silly.

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Great Satchmo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:23 pm

tgbyhnasdf wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Dumb question. Does the Tower have mattresses already, or do we need to buy our own.


The Tower is completely unfurnished in terms of bedding and furniture.


If anyone is pinching pennies, I have a full sized mattress and box spring that I was going to throw out mid-August. It's not funky or anything, I just picked up a memory foam mattress and it's been in storage for a month or two. I also live about 3 blocks from campus, so it could even be carried.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby missinglink » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:29 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
tgbyhnasdf wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Dumb question. Does the Tower have mattresses already, or do we need to buy our own.


The Tower is completely unfurnished in terms of bedding and furniture.


If anyone is pinching pennies, I have a full sized mattress and box spring that I was going to throw out mid-August. It's not funky or anything, I just picked up a memory foam mattress and it's been in storage for a month or two. I also live about 3 blocks from campus, so it could even be carried.
I can't say enough about memory foam mattresses. I got one delivered from Costco for $600 after a $200 rebate. It's seriously some of the best sleep I've had in years.

I previously had a regular Sealy mattress and box spring combo with a foam topper, and the difference is night and day.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby zeth006 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:41 pm

Got it. Guess this means I should check my Hastings e-mail more often. Wonder whether there's an option to forward all their e-mail to my hotmail.

MD/JD2B
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:06 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby MD/JD2B » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:44 pm

I posted this earlier but it didn't seem to come through. I have a new queen sized bed and box spring for the taking. It is soft to medium. Send me a message if interested.

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Great Satchmo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:02 pm

missinglink wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:
tgbyhnasdf wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Dumb question. Does the Tower have mattresses already, or do we need to buy our own.


The Tower is completely unfurnished in terms of bedding and furniture.


If anyone is pinching pennies, I have a full sized mattress and box spring that I was going to throw out mid-August. It's not funky or anything, I just picked up a memory foam mattress and it's been in storage for a month or two. I also live about 3 blocks from campus, so it could even be carried.
I can't say enough about memory foam mattresses. I got one delivered from Costco for $600 after a $200 rebate. It's seriously some of the best sleep I've had in years.

I previously had a regular Sealy mattress and box spring combo with a foam topper, and the difference is night and day.


I went through a period of time after getting my memory foam mattress that I showed it off to my friends. The fact that strongly urging your friends to get on your bed without explaining why went strait over my head. Lesson learned.

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Borhas » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:43 am

tgbyhnasdf wrote:
missinglink wrote:I've got the email in my .edu account with a link to the PDF orientation schedule. I've got my student email account set up as an exchange server on my iphone, so I receive push notifications when something is sent to that account. I'd probably never check that account otherwise.


Ditto. here's what it said:





Dear UC Hastings Class of 2013,

Welcome! Staff and faculty are getting ready for your arrival in just a few short weeks. As you know, the Mandatory Orientation for all incoming first year law students is Wednesday, August 18th through Friday, August 20th. A variety of programs and events are scheduled to help introduce you to the study of law and to the Hastings community.

To view the current schedule, please visit the Orientation webpage: --LinkRemoved--. There you will find a link to the detailed schedule. There are a few details remaining to be finalized. However, the overall time and schedule structure is not anticipated to change. You will receive a hard copy of the final schedule when you check-in the morning of August 18th.

If you have any questions please contact us at the email address and phone number below. Thanks and we look forward to seeing you soon!


Student Services Office
415.565.4773
studentservices@uchastings.edu



fuck

I can't believe summer is almost over

well maybe I can, but I refuse to

User avatar
l'uccello
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:26 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby l'uccello » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:50 am

Borhas wrote:
tgbyhnasdf wrote:
missinglink wrote:I've got the email in my .edu account with a link to the PDF orientation schedule. I've got my student email account set up as an exchange server on my iphone, so I receive push notifications when something is sent to that account. I'd probably never check that account otherwise.


Ditto. here's what it said:





Dear UC Hastings Class of 2013,

Welcome! Staff and faculty are getting ready for your arrival in just a few short weeks. As you know, the Mandatory Orientation for all incoming first year law students is Wednesday, August 18th through Friday, August 20th. A variety of programs and events are scheduled to help introduce you to the study of law and to the Hastings community.

To view the current schedule, please visit the Orientation webpage: --LinkRemoved--. There you will find a link to the detailed schedule. There are a few details remaining to be finalized. However, the overall time and schedule structure is not anticipated to change. You will receive a hard copy of the final schedule when you check-in the morning of August 18th.

If you have any questions please contact us at the email address and phone number below. Thanks and we look forward to seeing you soon!


Student Services Office
415.565.4773
studentservices@uchastings.edu



fuck

I can't believe summer is almost over

well maybe I can, but I refuse to


my reaction exactly

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby General Tso » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:14 pm

Borhas wrote:
fuck

I can't believe summer is almost over

well maybe I can, but I refuse to


I'd probably be disappointed too, if I were about to start 1L. As it is my summer has been far from relaxing, and I am looking forward to starting back.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby a male human » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:50 pm

We're supposed to say we're really excited to learn the law

MD/JD2B
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:06 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby MD/JD2B » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:23 pm

School is fun!!

User avatar
GeorgeBernardShaw
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:20 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby GeorgeBernardShaw » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:58 pm

The insurance waiver for this academic year isn't available yet, right?

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby zeth006 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:51 am

What are some grocery chains that are within walking distance of school?

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby missinglink » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:13 am

zeth006 wrote:What are some grocery chains that are within walking distance of school?

None as far as I know. It would be a walk and a half to the nearest Safeway.

I'd recommend taking public transit down Market to the Safeway at Market and Dolores. I just shopped there today, and it was alright for a chain store. That would be a pretty straightforward transit ride.

Maybe someone else who is living in the area knows of some better options. I've found that for price and quality you can do better at smaller grocery spots. You just have to know where they are, and they usually aren't one stop shops like your local Megamart.

User avatar
ToadGoDead
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:09 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby ToadGoDead » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:20 am

missinglink wrote:
zeth006 wrote:What are some grocery chains that are within walking distance of school?

None as far as I know. It would be a walk and a half to the nearest Safeway.

I'd recommend taking public transit down Market to the Safeway at Market and Dolores. I just shopped there today, and it was alright for a chain store. That would be a pretty straightforward transit ride.

Maybe someone else who is living in the area knows of some better options. I've found that for price and quality you can do better at smaller grocery spots. You just have to know where they are, and they usually aren't one stop shops like your local Megamart.


use yelp and go to smaller local farmers markets

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby General Tso » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:03 am

ToadGoDead wrote:
use yelp and go to smaller local farmers markets


there is a farmers market about 2x per week in UN Plaza, 2-3 min. walk from Hastings

tgbyhnasdf
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:10 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby tgbyhnasdf » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:57 pm

FWIW C/O 2013 class size:

UC Hastings Tops List of Northern California Super Lawyers
In the just-released 2010 edition of Northern California Super Lawyers, UC Hastings tops the list of law schools producing the most Super Lawyers. A total of 462 Hastings graduates are listed as Super Lawyers, a full 17 percent of the total list, and many more than any of the other institutions that are represented.

Hastings Chancellor and Dean Frank H. Wu says, "UC Hastings has always played a leadership role within the legal community of Northern California. Our alumni continue to dominate the California Bar. As we look to the future, the incoming class of 390 students has a median LSAT score within the top ten percent. Our law school, the oldest in the western United States, continues to carry on its tradition of producing some of the nation's most distinguished attorneys, business leaders, judges, and public figures."

Super Lawyers is an annual list of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. UC Hastings also has produced more California state judges than any other law school.

--LinkRemoved--

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby missinglink » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:53 pm

Nice to know they succeeded in shrinking the class size.

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby drdolittle » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:59 pm

Looks like my schedule's up on WebAdvisor. Looks good. Got one class on Fridays, which ends by noon or so. Not sure if it's even possible to avoid taking a class Fridays anyway...

User avatar
General Tso
Posts: 2289
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:51 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby General Tso » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:01 pm

drdolittle wrote:Looks like my schedule's up on WebAdvisor. Looks good. Got one class on Fridays, which ends by noon or so. Not sure if it's even possible to avoid taking a class Fridays anyway...

it is during 2L year :P

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:06 pm

zeth006 wrote:What are some grocery chains that are within walking distance of school?


There is Harvest Urban Market on 8th and Howard, which is just about 2 or 3 blocks. It's akin to Whole Foods as far as price and the general types of foods/products available, but it's smaller and has a more narrow selection. It's not a bad place to go pick up a couple things. (http://www.yelp.com/biz/harvest-urban-m ... -francisco)

There is also Mi Tierra at 6th and Howard, which is cheaper and definitely not like Whole Foods. However, they have produce, they have meat, they have dry and frozen stuff...it's definitely not Safeway, but it's a cheaper alternative if you just need some basics. (http://www.yelp.com/biz/mi-tierra-san-f ... n%20market)

Otherwise, as others have said, take Muni to the Safeway on Market. There is a Whole Foods on 4th and Harrison, which you can take Muni to the Caltrain station and walk about 3 blocks up 4th to get there.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby missinglink » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:12 pm

drdolittle wrote:Looks like my schedule's up on WebAdvisor. Looks good. Got one class on Fridays, which ends by noon or so. Not sure if it's even possible to avoid taking a class Fridays anyway...

No schedule for me yet. What's your earliest class?

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby drdolittle » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:19 pm

missinglink wrote:
drdolittle wrote:Looks like my schedule's up on WebAdvisor. Looks good. Got one class on Fridays, which ends by noon or so. Not sure if it's even possible to avoid taking a class Fridays anyway...

No schedule for me yet. What's your earliest class?


That's weird. Maybe it's not my real schedule then, but the earliest starts 9:40 am, latest ends at 6:50 pm. I've got 14 real creds assigned plus that 1 cred place holder class.
Last edited by drdolittle on Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby a male human » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:21 pm

One of my "classes" is a billing class, and I don't see legal writing/moot court. Are we supposed to pick that ourselves?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: applicationquestions, bigtytybird, Exabot [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests