UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BiteyTLS

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby BiteyTLS » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:33 am

weaselology wrote:Since a lot of people have been posting about Hastings' cost I thought I would aggregate what I have found out so far, as I plan to attend next year.

Cost
Based on this memo: --LinkRemoved--, tuition/fees/medical is slated to rise to $50,310 for next year for out of state students and $39,085 for instate.

Financial Aid
Based on ABA data http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA4342.pdf, ~3/4ths of students receive grants with the median value being $6,000. However, according to the memo from the school, 1/3rd of the increase in tuition is going to need based financial aid, so that at least partially offsets the rise in tuition.

Scholarships
Several people have stated that Hastings does not provide merit scholarships. This is untrue as I received one. That being said, based on my research into the school I believe most of their aid is indeed need based.

Speculation
It seems that based on residency requirements for the UC system, it is relatively easy to achieve resident status after the first year. This would obviously reduce the all-in cost substantially. Further speculation on my part: the economy is not going to melt down further and will in fact recover this year. This would lead to a much better budget situation in California, blunting the need for future insane year over year tuition increases.

Also, Hastings is in San Francisco which, at least to my tastes, is the best city on Earth. Is it expensive there? Yes. Is it awesome? Yes.

I realize that Hastings is not funded by the UC Board of Regents (http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/r ... y09/j2.pdf) but there seems to be every indication you are going to see a tuition of 42-44k a year for residents by 2011-2012 (in line with Irvine/UCLA/Davis). That brings cost of attendance to around 62-64k a year. 6 grand seems pretty petty in comparison to that massive cost. When did you hear of a merit scholarship offer? As far as I know Hastings has not sent out merit scholarship information, could be off base here.

It is crazy anyway you put it. Might be a nice vacation (in the tenderloin that is debatable), but it is going to be a damn well expensive one.

I really feel for the 2L and 3L Hastings students that got in at a time in which resident tuition was reasonable and semi-decent employment opportunities only to find a exploding economic collapse at the school. Really solid, smart students too.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:46 am

TWoodWil wrote:
weaselology wrote:This would lead to a much better budget situation in California, blunting the need for future insane year over year tuition increases.

The will that created Hastings stipulated that unless the State keeps per pupil funding above a certain level, the state has to return all of the original willed gift plus substantial (130+ years' worth) interest to the Hastings family. The state is at just about that minimum per student funding level right now. So there's not much more money that can be taken from the school's budget, but Hastings will probably never again see more than $7,000 per student from the state.

This discussion is not really relevant any longer. Hastings and all other UC professional schools are being treated the same. They are all going to be phased off state support over the next 5 years.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:02 am

BiteyTLS wrote:I realize that Hastings is not funded by the UC Board of Regents (http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/r ... y09/j2.pdf) but there seems to be every indication you are going to see a tuition of 42-44k a year for residents by 2011-2012 (in line with Irvine/UCLA/Davis). That brings cost of attendance to around 62-64k a year. 6 grand seems pretty petty in comparison to that massive cost. When did you hear of a merit scholarship offer? As far as I know Hastings has not sent out merit scholarship information, could be off base here.

It is crazy anyway you put it. Might be a nice vacation (in the tenderloin that is debatable), but it is going to be a damn well expensive one.

I really feel for the 2L and 3L Hastings students that got in at a time in which resident tuition was reasonable and semi-decent employment opportunities only to find a exploding economic collapse at the school. Really solid, smart students too.

Why do you feel for 2L and 3L students? They got 2 or 3 years of quality education at a decent price (25k, 28k, 32k). 1L's are getting screwed the worst of any current students and even we knew about the budget crisis when choosing Hastings. And why single out Hastings for your pity? All UC law schools are facing the same budget problem. From what I've heard the employment prospects have dropped off a bit just like everywhere else but it's not like buglers are playing Taps on the steps of Hastings like you make it seem.

About the grants...the median grant is not 6k. For my class the grants ranged from 8k to 12k. As part of the tuition increase they are increasing the grant amounts for next year. People are looking for reliable information in this thread that will help them make their law school decision. If you don't have any to share, there are many current students like myself hanging around that will be glad to do so.

weaselology

Postby weaselology » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:10 am

swheat wrote:
BiteyTLS wrote:I realize that Hastings is not funded by the UC Board of Regents (http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/r ... y09/j2.pdf) but there seems to be every indication you are going to see a tuition of 42-44k a year for residents by 2011-2012 (in line with Irvine/UCLA/Davis). That brings cost of attendance to around 62-64k a year. 6 grand seems pretty petty in comparison to that massive cost. When did you hear of a merit scholarship offer? As far as I know Hastings has not sent out merit scholarship information, could be off base here.

Why do you feel for 2L and 3L students? They got 2 or 3 years of quality education at a decent price (25k, 28k, 32k). 1L's are getting screwed the worst of any current students and even we knew about the budget crisis when choosing Hastings. And why single out Hastings for your pity? All UC law schools are facing the same budget problem. From what I've heard the employment prospects have dropped off a bit just like everywhere else but it's not like buglers are playing Taps on the steps of Hastings like you make it seem.

About the grants...the median grant is not 6k. For my class the grants ranged from 8k to 12k. As part of the tuition increase they are increasing the grant amounts for next year. People are looking for reliable information in this thread that will help them make their law school decision. If you don't have any to share, there are many current students like myself hanging around that will be glad to do so.

For the sake of fairness, it was me that threw out the $6k grant figure based on the ABA data I could find. Good to hear that the grants have increased. So it sounds like next year they are going to be like 10k-14k roughly (current 8K-12K plus 1/3rd of the increase so ~2k). Does this sound correct?

leron

Postby leron » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:17 am

in spite of what hastings tells us, it would not surprise me one bit if they gave me the same or lower grant next year.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:21 am

weaselology wrote:For the sake of fairness, it was me that threw out the $6k grant figure based on the ABA data I could find. Good to hear that the grants have increased. So it sounds like next year they are going to be like 10k-14k roughly (current 8K-12K plus 1/3rd of the increase so ~2k). Does this sound correct?

Okay...I take back the grant part Bitey. Still watching you closely after that 44k 10-11 tuition comment though :P

I think that sounds about right but they haven't announced anything for sure. All I know is that Dean Martinez said at the tuition town hall that they will be raising the grant amounts next year.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:21 am

leron wrote:in spite of what hastings tells us, it would not surprise me one bit if they gave me the same or lower grant next year.

Except that you may not be at Hastings next year :P

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:06 am

anyone have any idea what % placed into biglaw/similar positions last year and what the expected rate is this year?

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:12 am

In via snail mail yesterday! The letter was dated 1/7.

leron

Postby leron » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:52 pm

AlanShore wrote:anyone have any idea what % placed into biglaw/similar positions last year and what the expected rate is this year?

i heard, anecdotally, that you needed top 10% and even within that it was rough. obviously, stats aren't out yet. i'd like to see them myself.

BiteyTLS

Postby BiteyTLS » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:44 pm

leron wrote:
AlanShore wrote:anyone have any idea what % placed into biglaw/similar positions last year and what the expected rate is this year?

i heard, anecdotally, that you needed top 10% and even within that it was rough. obviously, stats aren't out yet. i'd like to see them myself.

On autoadmit, a Hastings 3L claims it was top 5% for biglaw. I think his name was "HastingsWithBigLaw" (claims to have got a position) or something like that.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:13 pm

BiteyTLS wrote:
leron wrote:

On autoadmit, a Hastings 3L claims it was top 5% for biglaw. I think his name was "HastingsWithBigLaw" (claims to have got a position) or something like that.

That guy is not legit...I think he is a Boalt student flaming Hastings. There are tons of Boalt students on xoxo. I know most biglaw requires top 15% now for OCI, but like leron says it is probably more like top 10% to have a real shot.

leron

Postby leron » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:15 pm

just remember last year oci was horrible at all schools. things will hopefully get better.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:46 pm

Quite a few more acceptances on LSN, surprised I haven't heard anything yet :cry:

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:09 am

Inygma wrote:Quite a few more acceptances on LSN, surprised I haven't heard anything yet :cry:

I think all of those acceptances are from their January 7th mass mailing. Which means they've had a week to make more decisions. Which hopefully means more letters were sent out today and/or will get sent out tomorrow :)

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:18 am

msch0i wrote:
Inygma wrote:Quite a few more acceptances on LSN, surprised I haven't heard anything yet :cry:

I think all of those acceptances are from their January 7th mass mailing. Which means they've had a week to make more decisions. Which hopefully means more letters were sent out today and/or will get sent out tomorrow :)

I hope so... I don't really want to go to Hastings, but I am a bit sad and need an acceptance to hold me over for the onslaught of USC and maybe UCI destroying my dreams!

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:46 am

Inygma wrote:
msch0i wrote:

I hope so... I don't really want to go to Hastings, but I am a bit sad and need an acceptance to hold me over for the onslaught of USC and maybe UCI destroying my dreams!

+1. I'm in the exact same boat. :?

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:17 am

To those accepted in the past week or so, were any of you deferred from EC?

GrayArea

Postby GrayArea » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:38 am

In! I was shocked I got it so soon since I had gone complete later then most people hearing back but I had also interviewed there so I guess thats why.

km23

Postby km23 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:59 am

Last edited by km23 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

GrayArea

Postby GrayArea » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:06 am

km23 wrote:
GrayArea wrote:In! I was shocked I got it so soon since I had gone complete later then most people hearing back but I had also interviewed there so I guess thats why.

They give interviews?? Congrats!

I just lucked out. The professor I do research for, at UCI, works closely with a UC Hastings professor so he set up an interview for me since he wanted me to go to UC Hastings.

km23

Postby km23 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:08 am

Last edited by km23 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

GrayArea

Postby GrayArea » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:12 am

km23 wrote:
GrayArea wrote:
km23 wrote:
GrayArea wrote:In! I was shocked I got it so soon since I had gone complete later then most people hearing back but I had also interviewed there so I guess thats why.

They give interviews?? Congrats!

I just lucked out. The professor I do research for, at UCI, works closely with a UC Hastings professor so he set up an interview for me since he wanted me to go to UC Hastings.

that's awesome! What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

I am a biology major with criminology minor.
gpa = 3.2 with lots of Cs :(
lsat 167

I think I have my softs to thank for many of my acceptances. My PS was about how I proved a man on death row was innocent by re examining the DNA evidence. This is the research I do under the UCI professor.

km23

Postby km23 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:14 am

Last edited by km23 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:28 am

GrayArea wrote:I am a biology major with criminology minor.
gpa = 3.2 with lots of Cs :(
lsat 167

I think I have my softs to thank for many of my acceptances. My PS was about how I proved a man on death row was innocent by re examining the DNA evidence. This is the research I do under the UCI professor.

:shock: Now as I go to bed feeling inadequate and questioning what I've been doing with my life...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”