UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wellgee

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby wellgee » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:53 pm

Thanks for the reply, cice729. I should have been more clear: I meant yesterday's e-mail. same boat as you over here. Got the 6/14 e-mail, replied quickly, then nothing. I don't want to read tea leaves, but why wouldn't they send everyone on the WL a note saying this week is the final round?

But then again, to try and read tea leaves:
Scenario 1: yesterday's note asked for LOCI, and offers will be probably be made to some of those who received the note.

Scenario 2: if the WL is indeed ranked, yesterday's note is for those who are likely to be cut. (But then why would they say final round?)

Gut says 1, but I realize thinking about this is pretty futile at this point...

cice729

Postby cice729 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:06 pm

wellgee wrote:Thanks for the reply, cice729. I should have been more clear: I meant yesterday's e-mail. same boat as you over here. Got the 6/14 e-mail, replied quickly, then nothing. I don't want to read tea leaves, but why wouldn't they send everyone on the WL a note saying this week is the final round?

But then again, to try and read tea leaves:
Scenario 1: yesterday's note asked for LOCI, and offers will be probably be made to some of those who received the note.

Scenario 2: if the WL is indeed ranked, yesterday's note is for those who are likely to be cut. (But then why would they say final round?)

Gut says 1, but I realize thinking about this is pretty futile at this point...

Ahh, thanks for clarifying. You're right, they probably didn't rank them if they asked for LOCI and indicated it would be the final round. I just got through to Admissions and spoke with Christian Lehrer. He was vague and really good at cutting people off. All I got out of that was that I'm still active on the WL...

Yeah, thinking about this is pretty futile. pretty great at fueling some intense stress, is all.

sflaw

Postby sflaw » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:20 pm

RadMobile wrote:I apologize if this has been covered before, but does anyone know if the student health center does the physical/urinalysis/TB Test? And if so, do they do it for a discounted rate??

Health Services recommended (and I do too) Concentra Health at 110 Sutter at Mont. Whole package was $95 and I was in and out in under an hour.

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:30 pm

Off the WL via phone call from Greg Canada at 2:25pm this afternoon.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:51 pm

gatorlion wrote:Off the WL via phone call from Greg Canada at 2:25pm this afternoon.

Congratz.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:57 pm

gatorlion wrote:Off the WL via phone call from Greg Canada at 2:25pm this afternoon.

Congrats! Look forward to having you in the class.

On a related note, has anyone heard how many people are going to be in the class of 2013? I know they were looking for something smaller, but I was wondering where in the goal range they had fallen.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Does anyone know how sections are formed at Hastings? Is the selection random, or are students with similar numbers grouped together? I think the best and fairest strategy would be to form sections mirroring the distribution of the overall class, but I've heard of schools loading sections with the "best" students, presumably to limit transfers-out.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:32 pm

Congratulations.

I got the call as well, closer to 4 p.m. Am now officially driving myself nuts over the decision between Hastings & Davis. Cripes, this will be tough.

Gatorlion: I can't recall; you're facing same choice too, yes? If so, which way you leaning?

wellgee

Postby wellgee » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:25 pm

congrats ozarkhack! how long do you have to decide?

pomfiend

Postby pomfiend » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:53 pm

Congrats gatorlion & ozarkhack!!!

I got the email yesterday too but didn't get a call today...

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:18 pm

General Tso wrote:all 1Ls will need this first semester

TITLE:CIVIL PROCEDURE (CASEBOOK)
AUTHOR:MARCUS
EDITION:5TH
COPYRIGHT YEAR:2009
PUBLISHER:WEST PUBLISHING CO.
ISBN:9780314184955
NEW:$168.00
USED:$117.60

you'd need to know your section first but you can visit webadvisor without a login and still access the course/book lists

click "Go Directly to Search for Sections" once there click on the class then click on the link for book list

Yeahhh, not everyone uses that book, though I did. For those of you who have Marcus, well.. good luck! You'll be terrified of him at first but by the end of the semester you'll realize how ridiculously funny he is. The book isn't so great though.

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:19 pm

thischarmingman wrote:
2stitches wrote:Quick question: do students have access to a refrigerator and microwave? I'll be commuting, and it would be nice not to have to plunk down too much $$$ to buy lunch or subsist on bruised bananas and stale sandwiches :D

there are two fridges in the locker room and a microwave. there are also two more microwaves in the dining area.

Warning: some a-hole started stealing people's food from the locker room fridges this past year. I lost a diet coke :( and a friend lost a whole Trader Joe's mealy-thing. It's probably best to bring your food in tupperware. No one wants someone else's home cooking.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:53 pm

wellgee wrote:congrats ozarkhack! how long do you have to decide?

Thanks. End of Thursday.

thischarmingman

Postby thischarmingman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:03 am

drdolittle wrote:Does anyone know how sections are formed at Hastings? Is the selection random, or are students with similar numbers grouped together? I think the best and fairest strategy would be to form sections mirroring the distribution of the overall class, but I've heard of schools loading sections with the "best" students, presumably to limit transfers-out.

each section mirrors the class as a whole.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:20 pm

mnolen wrote:
thischarmingman wrote:
2stitches wrote:Quick question: do students have access to a refrigerator and microwave? I'll be commuting, and it would be nice not to have to plunk down too much $$$ to buy lunch or subsist on bruised bananas and stale sandwiches :D

there are two fridges in the locker room and a microwave. there are also two more microwaves in the dining area.

Warning: some a-hole started stealing people's food from the locker room fridges this past year. I lost a diet coke :( and a friend lost a whole Trader Joe's mealy-thing. It's probably best to bring your food in tupperware. No one wants someone else's home cooking.

That reminds me. I'll bring my rice n' curry mish mash one day just to see whether anyone decides to steal it. I might even toss in a tupperware full of kimchi.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:54 pm

zeth006 wrote:That reminds me. I'll bring my rice n' curry mish mash one day just to see whether anyone decides to steal it. I might even toss in a tupperware full of kimchi.

I call dibs on the kimchi, I'm down with that stuff.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:42 am

How does Hastings' health insurance costs & benefits compare to other insurance out there?

I looked into buying health insurance a couple of years ago and if I remember correctly Hastings' plan seems reasonable, though very basic. But I'm not sure what's on the market now.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:35 am

drdolittle wrote:How does Hastings' health insurance costs & benefits compare to other insurance out there?

I looked into buying health insurance a couple of years ago and if I remember correctly Hastings' plan seems reasonable, though very basic. But I'm not sure what's on the market now.

Someone, in this thread or another, mentioned they had shopped around and found that Hastings, for the coverage, was the best deal they could find on health insurance. I can only imagine that unless you have some "in" with another group plan (i.e. not buying individually), that you aren't going to beat the coverage for the price.

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:42 pm

Davis's insurance plan was cheaper, but I can't say anything about its value.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:50 pm

I called Hastings health services last week about something else but they made the point of mentioning that the student health insurance will change for the better this fall, though no details were available. I assume the price remains what they've charged on our accounts for the fall.

maybesheis

Postby maybesheis » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:33 pm

drdolittle wrote:I called Hastings health services last week about something else but they made the point of mentioning that the student health insurance will change for the better this fall, though no details were available. I assume the price remains what they've charged on our accounts for the fall.

Did they mention when we would get more information about the coverage, etc?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:39 pm

maybesheis wrote:
drdolittle wrote:I called Hastings health services last week about something else but they made the point of mentioning that the student health insurance will change for the better this fall, though no details were available. I assume the price remains what they've charged on our accounts for the fall.

Did they mention when we would get more information about the coverage, etc?

Nah, no detailed info yet as of last week. I was told the plan was still getting finalized then.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:14 pm

It's done. Paid deposit. Started apt. hunting.

See y'all in August.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:58 pm

ozarkhack wrote:It's done. Paid deposit. Started apt. hunting.

See y'all in August.

Good choice. 8)

See you in August.

RadMobile

Postby RadMobile » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:13 am

YEAAAAAH OZARK!

I went through the same decision :)

On a side note, the skyroom is closed for the summer :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”