UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Headybrah

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Headybrah » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:09 pm

waiting by the phone,
waiting for you to call me up
and tell me Im not alone.... :roll:

congrats to all ppl recently off the waitlist!

hopefully I will join you soon

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:17 pm

a male human wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Quick question for the UC Hastingsites. Is there any convenience in bringing a car to school? If I bring my car and commute with it, are there any extra costs, hassles, or dangers I should take note of?

Parking fee? I think it's $10 max.

$10 to park each time?

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:24 pm

zeth006 wrote:
a male human wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Quick question for the UC Hastingsites. Is there any convenience in bringing a car to school? If I bring my car and commute with it, are there any extra costs, hassles, or dangers I should take note of?

$10 to park each time?

Depends on how long you're in each time.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:38 pm

a male human wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
a male human wrote:

$10 to park each time?

So am I more or less better off not bringing my car there? I assume you mean it's $10 minimum each time?

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:44 pm

A car isn't necessary and depending on where you live, you may end up moving the car once a week for street cleaning and that will be about it's normal weekly use.

I live about 4 blocks from Hastings, and from that area I'm able to get most places easily. The only time I use my car is when I am lazy and I want to go do laundry or food shopping.

There are also Zip Car's, which are a GREAT service and something to definitely look into if you aren't going to be using your car every day.

Also be aware that Civic Center BART and Muni (underground) are about 2 blocks from Hastings, so you can get from the East Bay or from the South to school using public transit.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:01 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:

A car isn't necessary and depending on where you live, you may end up moving the car once a week for street cleaning and that will be about it's normal weekly use.

I live about 4 blocks from Hastings, and from that area I'm able to get most places easily. The only time I use my car is when I am lazy and I want to go do laundry or food shopping.

There are also Zip Car's, which are a GREAT service and something to definitely look into if you aren't going to be using your car every day.

Also be aware that Civic Center BART and Muni (underground) are about 2 blocks from Hastings, so you can get from the East Bay or from the South to school using public transit.

Damn. It looks like I might have to take my car off my parents' insurance policy then. I'll miss being able to pack Costco groceries into the trunk. Guess this is the car-obsessed Southern Californian inside of me talking.

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:55 pm

A car, I was told by the parking office, is 200.00/month

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:05 pm

MD/JD2B wrote:A car, I was told by the parking office, is 200.00/month

For parking at the school's lot or garage, right?

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:38 pm

zeth006 wrote:
a male human wrote:
zeth006 wrote:
a male human wrote:Parking fee? I think it's $10 max.

$10 to park each time?

So am I more or less better off not bringing my car there? I assume you mean it's $10 minimum each time?

squirtle

Postby squirtle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:47 am

im selling my car to help pay for tuition!

wooooohoooooooooooooo

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:56 am

squirtle wrote:im selling my car to help pay for tuition!

wooooohoooooooooooooo

Pics?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:02 pm

Has anyone heard back about their CA residency status yet? Is there a way to check whether or not CA residency was granted short of calling the office?

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:10 pm

I got a couple of emails recently from them, asking for some supporting documentation and to clear up some questions. So they are definitely working on them at present.

It should show up on your webadvisor account when processed.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:36 pm

For me, in "My Documents" under "Status" it just says "Received," and I sent it in the first day they wanted it. Haven't heard anything back. Is there anywhere else to look?

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:47 pm

Regarding CA residency: I e-mailed them about 10 days ago and received an e-mail back that I approved for CA residency. Nothing has show up on "My documents"

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:03 pm

What documents did you furnish for the CA residency form? Did you include EVERYTHING they list on the from that was applicable (such as license, lease, car registration, etc, etc)?

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:09 pm

Other stuff of interest I found out from some phone calls: Invoices will be mailed out today. They apparently will include a charge for health insurance, which, if you have your own insurance and it is "acceptable", this amount will be reimbursed to you at a later date. The is is what I was told by fiscal; health told me they didn't know what the amount would be....so I'm not sure how we can be billed for it--whether it's a guestimate or what..

Regarding CA residency, I submitted everything they asked for and then some; W2s for the past three years (with the numbers blacked out), housing details, utility bills, driver's license, auto registration, voter registration...the whole enchilada. It took me agood 2-3 hours to assemble number, and organize the stuff.

cice729

Postby cice729 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:59 pm

I received the June 14th e-mail, responded immediately, but no phone call as of yet.

Should I call Mr. Canada to express my continued interest (again), and inquire as to status --> number of spots left?

Hastings is hands-down, no questions, my first choice. I majored in French and Government, and I want to combine these areas of interest with law. UCH has a joint J.D./LL.M program where students have the opportunity to study public/private European law during 3L at the University of Paris II. AMAZING. Absofreakinglutely amazing.

I'm also super stressy because I've been simultaneously securing my spot at Santa Clara and that ain't cheap. I'll have to start planning the move down to Silicon Valley (whereas I'd live at home in the east bay for UCH) as well as getting tuition/financial aid squared away with them soon. Too soon. GAH. :|

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:10 pm

cice729 wrote:I received the June 14th e-mail, responded immediately, but no phone call as of yet.

Should I call Mr. Canada to express my continued interest (again), and inquire as to status --> number of spots left?

Hastings is hands-down, no questions, my first choice. I majored in French and Government, and I want to combine these areas of interest with law. UCH has a joint J.D./LL.M program where students have the opportunity to study public/private European law during 3L at the University of Paris II. AMAZING. Absofreakinglutely amazing.

I'm also super stressy because I've been simultaneously securing my spot at Santa Clara and that ain't cheap. I'll have to start planning the move down to Silicon Valley (whereas I'd live at home in the east bay for UCH) as well as getting tuition/financial aid squared away with them soon. Too soon. GAH. :|

As we head into July, it looks to me the wait-listers at T20 schools are slowly withdrawing from UCH. A bunch of us got seat offers on Monday if that's anything to go off of. What are your numbers? If they're better than mine (3.65/161 and most UCH admits' are) and if you've already expressed interest in the study abroad program in your app and LOCIs, I'd give you more than a 50/50 chance.

cice729

Postby cice729 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:38 pm

zeth006 wrote:
cice729 wrote:I received the June 14th e-mail, responded immediately, but no phone call as of yet.

As we head into July, it looks to me the wait-listers at T20 schools are slowly withdrawing from UCH. A bunch of us got seat offers on Monday if that's anything to go off of. What are your numbers? If they're better than mine (3.65/161 and most UCH admits' are) and if you've already expressed interest in the study abroad program in your app and LOCIs, I'd give you more than a 50/50 chance.

Thanks for the insight! It's true - I hope the T20 wait-listers get into their dream schools so that I may have a chance at mine! My numbers are lower than yours, so I probably do not have such a high chance, but they know all about my interest in the program. :)

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:52 pm

cice729

In the same boat, good luck keep holding tight!
I really hope they get to us, word from Gator is that they
are throwing out some more offers on Thurs, hopefully
we can be in that group and the order of the universe will
be restored.

Its just tough to deal with as I am making plans to secure
housing at the school I have already accepted!

Anyways good luck, things usually happen for a reason!

cice729

Postby cice729 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:00 pm

Headybrah wrote:cice729

In the same boat, good luck keep holding tight!
I really hope they get to us, word from Gator is that they
are throwing out some more offers on Thurs, hopefully
we can be in that group and the order of the universe will
be restored.

Its just tough to deal with as I am making plans to secure
housing at the school I have already accepted!

Anyways good luck, things usually happen for a reason!

Thank you for being so positive! I wish you the best, and GOOD LUCK too !!!

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:42 am

cice729 wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

Thanks for the insight! It's true - I hope the T20 wait-listers get into their dream schools so that I may have a chance at mine! My numbers are lower than yours, so I probably do not have such a high chance, but they know all about my interest in the program. :)

I could be wrong. But I heard somewhere that wait-list numbers are typically on average lower than those of initial admits.' Once again, I don't have the source to back up such a claim, but if it's true, it makes sense. Many of those forfeiting dropping their deposits with UCH are/were probably waiting as late as orientation day to get into their dream school, making UCH their safety. These are kids with extraordinarily high numbers who're just below YP levels. It does help to know that many such numbers posted on the first 20+ pages were nothing short of impressive with the numerous cases of 3.8+ and/or 165-168+. I won't be surprised if WL numbers are truly trending downward from the initial admit numbers. Besides, I was told by someone in an earlier page of the UC Davis thread that my chances of getting in were pretty much nada. I'd say they're scrutinizing PSes and resumes more closely.

If it's any comfort, my nationality is (probably) considered overrepresented at UCH and the UC system as a whole.

Hope that helps. I'm off to bed. *Yawn*

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:51 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:Accepted from the waitlist, and I'm attending. Still kind of in shock...

Good luck everyone!

congrats dude, was rooting for you

Mr.Smith122

Postby Mr.Smith122 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:25 pm

Still waiting with you guys, Cice and heady! Congrats to everyone that got an offer! It looks like there's been some movement in the top 20 WLs like Penn. Hopefully there's some more calls today.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”