UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
msch0i

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby msch0i » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:54 pm

finalaspects wrote:
msch0i wrote:Yeah you're probably right. :| But it looks like Hastings sends out their decisions steadily instead of in waves (at least...they did last year) so hopefully missing the first round doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a long wait.

wouldn't it be nice if we can switch some of your gpa for my lsat? :?

if only, if only. :(

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:05 pm

Congrats to all that have gotten in already! As a Bay Area resident for about 6 years now, I can answer your area related questions if you like. I also used to work close to Hastings. In general, the TL is not a great place to be. I'm not sure about living in the Tower, but I would say if you don't, then I suggest living somewhere else and commuting by public transportation. It's easy to live in many other parts of the city and get there in about 15-20 on the bus/BART. I also currently live in Oakland where it's A LOT cheaper, but lived in the city for a year. If you have specific qs, feel free to send them my way. :D

hhg

Postby hhg » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:18 pm

in! guessing i got the letter today - not sure since i'm out of town & have somebody else checking the mail. 168/3.4x applied first week of november, not sure about complete date (having internet issues and can't access lsn). if you're really interested in knowing it's in my lsn account with the same username. connectivity issues + no access to my own mail is just about driving me crazy!! have preferable options already, but final decisions won't be made until i know more about money & whether i can break into the t17.

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:23 pm

In by snail mail. OOS. Super splitter here -- LSAT >75%, GPA <25%.

Super happy, too!

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:28 pm

gymboree wrote:In by snail mail. OOS. Super splitter here -- LSAT >75%, GPA <25%.

Super happy, too!

how low was your gpa? below 3.1?

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:42 pm

Holding off on precise numbers, but above 3.1, below 3.4.

edited: to be less precise... feeling a little too exposed...

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:55 pm

gymboree wrote:Holding off on precise numbers, but above 3.1, below 3.4.

edited: to be less precise... feeling a little too exposed...

sorry about that guess i should have asked you to private message me. but i thank you for that. i was just wondering since i have a 3.1

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:03 am

calgal17 wrote:Congrats to all that have gotten in already! As a Bay Area resident for about 6 years now, I can answer your area related questions if you like. I also used to work close to Hastings. In general, the TL is not a great place to be. I'm not sure about living in the Tower, but I would say if you don't, then I suggest living somewhere else and commuting by public transportation. It's easy to live in many other parts of the city and get there in about 15-20 on the bus/BART. I also currently live in Oakland where it's A LOT cheaper, but lived in the city for a year. If you have specific qs, feel free to send them my way. :D

+1 for this info. The east bay is definitely cheaper and nicer than the Tenderloin. Some people like the idea of living in SF, but it gets expensive in a hurry.

If I choose Hastings I'll probably live in Berkeley and take BART.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:41 pm

*crossing fingers for another mass mailing today* :D

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:44 pm

Does Hastings email when there has been a DR? or do you just get the complete email and dont find out about anything until you receive a letter?

hhg

Postby hhg » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:46 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:Does Hastings email when there has been a DR? or do you just get the complete email and dont find out about anything until you receive a letter?

i didn't get an email at dr, just the acceptance letter in the mail.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:09 pm

msch0i wrote:*crossing fingers for another mass mailing today* :D

+1

socalren

Postby socalren » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:22 pm

Inygma wrote:
msch0i wrote:*crossing fingers for another mass mailing today* :D

+1

+1, also

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:17 pm

The only activity today seems to be the one acceptance on LSN...

Today overall is very quiet compared to yesterday :?

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:26 pm

msch0i wrote:The only activity today seems to be the one acceptance on LSN...

Ya probably going to be a week or two before the next mass mailing.

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:02 pm

Inygma wrote:

agreed. schools dont usually do mass mailings in teh same week or few days

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:03 pm

oberlin08 wrote:
Inygma wrote:

agreed. schools dont usually do mass mailings in teh same week or few days

can someone pleaseeee tell me how to use lsn? I apparently suck at it. I can't figure out for the life of me how to get from the lsn school page to the list of users. meh.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:06 pm

There's a row of links at the top-rightish with "users", "schools", etc. Or you can always go to your profile page with your school list on it and look up applicants to the schools you've applied to.

edit: on the school page, there's also a row of tabs under the big "Law School Numbers" heading. You can click "applicants" to see applicants for that school.

BiteyTLS

Postby BiteyTLS » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Veritas wrote:
Inygma wrote:
Veritas wrote:not worth sticker, that's really expensive.

Seriously... $60k for a public that has additionally one of the highest CoL in the United States, no thanks. If you are out-of-state I would definately look into other options.

for sure. Money at USD would be better, imho

Is anyone actually considering Hastings at full-cost?

I worked in the area for awhile and know quite a few law students, they are good/nice folks (despite the aggressive reputation). The school has decent facilities inside despite the pretty generic architecture in the middle of the tenderloin district.

Anyway, that is beside the point. The students are all in emergency mode over there, fretting about the 10-20 percent tuition increases that are down the pike. It seems like nobody is on scholarship, leaving everyone in the same boat in fear of tuition increases (43-44k ish is coming up next year). The lack of state funding has left a massive hole in Hasting's pocket, and instead of cutting costs they are looking for additional revenue from students. Which is terrible considering that job opportunities are rapidly declining while tuition is increasing at fast rates. Student morale is way down along with administration morale (the very high regarded president bailed out on them to go to ND).

AboveTheLaw had a decent article:
--LinkRemoved--

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:49 pm

^^^ I wouldn't take Hastings for full cost, but that's only because I have schools that are better for my interests I would rather attend. If they send some merit/need based aid my way, I'd more seriously consider it (but probably not....)

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:04 pm

BiteyTLS wrote:Is anyone actually considering Hastings at full-cost?

I worked in the area for awhile and know quite a few law students, they are good/nice folks (despite the aggressive reputation). The school has decent facilities inside despite the pretty generic architecture in the middle of the tenderloin district.

Anyway, that is beside the point. The students are all in emergency mode over there, fretting about the 10-20 percent tuition increases that are down the pike. It seems like nobody is on scholarship, leaving everyone in the same boat in fear of tuition increases (43-44k ish is coming up next year). The lack of state funding has left a massive hole in Hasting's pocket, and instead of cutting costs they are looking for additional revenue from students. Which is terrible considering that job opportunities are rapidly declining while tuition is increasing at fast rates. Student morale is way down along with administration morale (the very high regarded president bailed out on them to go to ND).

--LinkRemoved--

Where did you see this 43-44k 2010-2011 tuition figure? The last I have heard is 39k for 10-11 and 42k for 11-12.

Right now the bolded statement is true for pretty much everything. I agree though, the tuition is getting out of control at all UC's.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:10 pm

swheat wrote:
BiteyTLS wrote:Is anyone actually considering Hastings at full-cost?

--LinkRemoved--

Where did you see this 43-44k 2010-2011 tuition figure? The last I have heard is 39k for 10-11 and 42k for 11-12.

Right now the bolded statement is true for pretty much everything. I agree though, the tuition is getting out of control at all UC's.

private schools have been jacking tuition for years. I started out paying 8k a year to my undergrad institution. I actually gained additional scholarships from them, but my 4th year cost was still closer to 20k because of those hikes. Basically, scholarships don't go up when tuition does. But law students don't need to flip... high paying careers... it won't kill anyone to spend an extra year or two paying off their loans.

weaselology

Postby weaselology » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:41 am

Since a lot of people have been posting about Hastings' cost I thought I would aggregate what I have found out so far, as I plan to attend next year.

Cost
Based on this memo: --LinkRemoved--, tuition/fees/medical is slated to rise to $50,310 for next year for out of state students and $39,085 for instate.

Financial Aid
Based on ABA data http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA4342.pdf, ~3/4ths of students receive grants with the median value being $6,000. However, according to the memo from the school, 1/3rd of the increase in tuition is going to need based financial aid, so that at least partially offsets the rise in tuition.

Scholarships
Several people have stated that Hastings does not provide merit scholarships. This is untrue as I received one. That being said, based on my research into the school I believe most of their aid is indeed need based.

Speculation
It seems that based on residency requirements for the UC system, it is relatively easy to achieve resident status after the first year. This would obviously reduce the all-in cost substantially. Further speculation on my part: the economy is not going to melt down further and will in fact recover this year. This would lead to a much better budget situation in California, blunting the need for future insane year over year tuition increases.

Also, Hastings is in San Francisco which, at least to my tastes, is the best city on Earth. Is it expensive there? Yes. Is it awesome? Yes.

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:51 am

weaselology wrote:This would lead to a much better budget situation in California, blunting the need for future insane year over year tuition increases.

The will that created Hastings stipulated that unless the State keeps per pupil funding above a certain level, the state has to return all of the original willed gift plus substantial (130+ years' worth) interest to the Hastings family. The state is at just about that minimum per student funding level right now. So there's not much more money that can be taken from the school's budget, but Hastings will probably never again see more than $7,000 per student from the state.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:00 am

I'd really like to go to Hastings and move to California.. but I just cant justify choosing Hastings over a school like BU, BC or Fordham assuming I get in to one of those.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”