UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tommytahoe

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby tommytahoe » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:08 pm

seashim wrote:Well, I have no idea if I would be paying sticker. I wasn't going to accept, then I woke up this morning and felt differently about it. As for $, I have no idea what my package would be. I figure the loans will be about the same, but don't know about the rest of it. They told me a complete package would come after I accepted. Other school is just not where I want to be. Good school, good opportunities, not the right human environment for me.

OK, so USC or UCLA with some amount of merit aid. I hear your dilemma. Where you are living and (to some extent) how that frees or limits where you can take your JD with you, these things matter. But if there is sizeable savings at stake here... say, even $15K or so, it's a hard thing to pass up, esp. when you consider that a higher-ranked school could easily limit or even totally compensate for the difficulties of moving that JD back up to NorCal. But this is a Hastings WL board, so I'll stop just short of telling you take the higher-ranked school with more money. If I weren't reluctant, that's what I'd say.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:32 pm

seashim wrote:Well, I have no idea if I would be paying sticker. I wasn't going to accept, then I woke up this morning and felt differently about it. As for $, I have no idea what my package would be. I figure the loans will be about the same, but don't know about the rest of it. They told me a complete package would come after I accepted. Other school is just not where I want to be. Good school, good opportunities, not the right human environment for me.

I recognize that there are intangibles and location preferences that play into all of our decisions for schools. I also will disclaim that I got the letter on Monday and Hastings is my ideal school, I'd accept in a moment if I get an offer.

However, the next higher ranked school other than Davis, being USC, in my mind is 100% worth 3 years in a non-ideal location (if that's the case) given the jump in prestige and opportunity that may be available to you.

Just my $0.02

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:38 pm

Anybody up for a TLS meet-up, drink a lot (or not if that's not your thing) before orientation/classes start?

bit early to plan anything, but just throwing it out there

k77

Postby k77 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:52 pm

Borhas wrote:Anybody up for a TLS meet-up, drink a lot (or not if that's not your thing) before orientation/classes start?

Sounds like fun!

pomfiend

Postby pomfiend » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:24 pm

For those on the waitlist who haven't yet received a call: Have any of you sent another LOR? Is that allowed and what is the best way to find out? Also, could it just be sent to them directly? I am scared to call the Admissions Office.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:37 pm

pomfiend wrote:For those on the waitlist who haven't yet received a call: Have any of you sent another LOR? Is that allowed and what is the best way to find out? Also, could it just be sent to them directly? I am scared to call the Admissions Office.

You shouldn't be scared. Call them and ask if they accept a new LOR. You could say that you have a supplementary LOR that you believe really adds important new insights/info. about you, and would they accept it...

They are usually pretty up-front, so if it's NO, they'll simply tell you so. If you ask politely and directly, I don't see why it would reflect poorly on you.

They told me back in May that "we do not require additional LORs," but, from my earlier correspondences with them, i took that to mean, we'd rather you didn't. So they are the one school right now that has not received what I believe is a 100% rock solid LOR :?
But, things may have changed now that it is June and b/c they have solicited your level of interest.

pomfiend

Postby pomfiend » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:13 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
pomfiend wrote:For those on the waitlist who haven't yet received a call: Have any of you sent another LOR? Is that allowed and what is the best way to find out? Also, could it just be sent to them directly? I am scared to call the Admissions Office.

You shouldn't be scared. Call them and ask if they accept a new LOR. You could say that you have a supplementary LOR that you believe really adds important new insights/info. about you, and would they accept it...

They are usually pretty up-front, so if it's NO, they'll simply tell you so. If you ask politely and directly, I don't see why it would reflect poorly on you.

They told me back in May that "we do not require additional LORs," but, from my earlier correspondences with them, i took that to mean, we'd rather you didn't. So they are the one school right now that has not received what I believe is a 100% rock solid LOR :?
But, things may have changed now that it is June and b/c they have solicited your level of interest.

Thanks! I think I may hold off a bit longer then. It's only been 3 days since I've received that email and I can barely keep my cool. Do you think visiting the Admissions Office would be a better idea? I wonder if that would have any impact on their decision.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:20 pm

pomfiend wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

Thanks! I think I may hold off a bit longer then. It's only been 3 days since I've received that email and I can barely keep my cool. Do you think visiting the Admissions Office would be a better idea? I wonder if that would have any impact on their decision.

Geez, I dunno. I'm no expert on waitlist protocol, although I've collected 8 of them in 3 months so i hope I'm doing something right!

Anyway, visiting might not be ideal right now, only b/c they are busy counting deposits, seats, withdrawals, etc...
But i don't know. Others here may have insights....

maybesheis

Postby maybesheis » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:30 pm

Me!!! I am moving to SF on 8/4 (in the tower).

Borhas wrote:Anybody up for a TLS meet-up, drink a lot (or not if that's not your thing) before orientation/classes start?

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:34 pm

As for the waitlist at this moment, unless you have some big news for them, it doesn't seem like contacting them is going to be a big help, unless you have a peculiar situation.

I sent in a LOCI about a month ago, and I outlined a change in job and additional activities I'm engaged in since my initial application. I reasserted why I think Hastings is a good fit and why I would be an asset to their entering class.

In mid June, it would stand to reason that if you are staying on the waitlist, that you are interested, and unless you have more information for them, contacting them doesn't seem all that purposeful.

However, if you are polite about it, I doubt it could hurt.

seashim

Postby seashim » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Tommytahoe, it is definitely more than $15k, especially with the future tuition hikes. Boo.

Great Satchmo, so you would pass on Hastings for a higher ranked school, even though it is your ideal school? (Its mine too, but I just don't know if I'm making the right decision to give up on the higher ranked school to go somewhere I *like* better.)

I'm hoping that if I do decide to do 3 years in my not-so-favorite place ever, I will be able to move back up to the bay and a degree from 500 miles away wont hurt, even if it doesn't help. I'm still up in the air, with 2 1/2 hours to go. eeep.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:42 pm

seashim wrote:Great Satchmo, so you would pass on Hastings for a higher ranked school, even though it is your ideal school? (Its mine too, but I just don't know if I'm making the right decision to give up on the higher ranked school to go somewhere I *like* better.)

I'm hoping that if I do decide to do 3 years in my not-so-favorite place ever, I will be able to move back up to the bay and a degree from 500 miles away wont hurt, even if it doesn't help. I'm still up in the air, with 2 1/2 hours to go. eeep.

From what it sounds like, you can't make a wrong decision, they are all great schools (without knowing exactly what schools you are talking about).

I am WL'd at Hastings and Davis, and I'd attend either if accepted (really hoping for Hastings though, I've been living in SF for a year and it's my dream to stay long term).

I am, unless taken off one of those WL's, attending McGeorge on a solid scholarsip - given my options in the Bay Area (USF and SCU, neither with enough money), I felt it was right to sacrifice the place for the right school for my future (which, when I'm not looking at higher ranked schools, debt became a significant concern - I was accepted to Cardozo but no way I can substantiate the cost at that ranking in NYC, or likewise USD with a small scholarship).

You do need to understand that I am on Hasting's WL, although I don't think what I'm saying at all is driven by that. If I were in your shoes, I'd take LA (which I hate, having grown up in SD) for USC or UCLA, even at more cost, because I perceive the educational and career opportunities to be significantly better than Hastings.

Even though I know I want to live in the Bay Area, I'd attend USC/UCLA in a heartbeat. But, then again, that is me and a situation that is completely hypothetical.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:47 pm

seashim wrote:Tommytahoe, it is definitely more than $15k, especially with the future tuition hikes. Boo.

Great Satchmo, so you would pass on Hastings for a higher ranked school, even though it is your ideal school? (Its mine too, but I just don't know if I'm making the right decision to give up on the higher ranked school to go somewhere I *like* better.)

Tough call. All things (ie, money) being equal, one could make a case either way: attend Hastings, or attend the Top 25 school that has greater prestige in the minds of those who hire (and presumably many strengths of its own), but which would give a JD that would need to be brought back up north.

In that scenario, it's a toss up. I think it is the $$ that tilts the scales. Only question is how much $$, and how much does that tilt the scales for you. One question you could ask yourself, aside form how much minimized debt factors into your overall calculus, is to what degree liking of a school is based on location and the feel of the place. the "better" school, again, must have some strengths to keep a high spot in the rankings for so long. But if you just don't like the "feel" of the place, or bristle at the actual feeling of being there in some way, it's hard to tell you to go there. BUT: if the people/teachers/students were all welcoming, and they have a rock solid rep. in re: job placement, then it would be hard for me to walk away from the money, knowing I could bring the JD back with me.

I may end up at UNC, knowing it is a good 4 hours south of DC (where I would likely move if I attended), because it is SO MUCH cheaper, and I'm 37. Then again, Chapel Hill is beautiful.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:00 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:Even though I know I want to live in the Bay Area, I'd attend USC/UCLA in a heartbeat. But, then again, that is me and a situation that is completely hypothetical.

I'd probably take USC over Hastings as well, but you have to at least be alarmed by the low # of USC grads in the bay. The ranking disparity between USC and Hastings has only appeared in the last 10-15 years though, so that probably is a partial explanation for the small USC presence in the SF area.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:10 pm

General Tso wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:Even though I know I want to live in the Bay Area, I'd attend USC/UCLA in a heartbeat. But, then again, that is me and a situation that is completely hypothetical.

I'd probably take USC over Hastings as well, but you have to at least be alarmed by the low # of USC grads in the bay. The ranking disparity between USC and Hastings has only appeared in the last 10-15 years though, so that probably is a partial explanation for the small USC presence in the SF area.

I think there is a lot of self selection in those numbers, LA draws a lot of people and has a large market - if you graduate USC and have choices of where to move, but you have some great opportunities in LA, you'd probably stay.

Anyhow, if I were in that position I wouldn't worry much about those numbers. I'd either make it work to get back to the bay for work (which I'm banking on doing from Sacramento), or resign myself to a few years post-graduation before moving laterally to the bay area (again, same for me an Sacramento).

I dunno, as huge a difference as it is not, in my mind USC is worth LA for 3 years over Hastings.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:12 pm

General Tso wrote:

Perhaps another cause for the disparity is not so much that they are unable to bring their JD up here, but rather that they don;'t wish to. They self-select, most often. SoCal folks go to USC/UCLA, and see no reason to try to leave.
That happens in NYC quite a lot too.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:18 pm

I fully agree...there's no way I'd take Hastings over USC unless Hastings was significantly cheaper (not likely). I also agree that self selection is probably the largest factor...LA has a much larger job market than SF.

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:03 pm

Also you have a strong connection to bay area which a lot of people do not. That will help big when trying to move back. USC is in my opion at a different level than Hastings you will get a much better edu there...

Either way you can't make a wrong choice but do you want to look back in 20 years and think You should have attended the school that will open more doors?

sao415

Postby sao415 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:45 pm

Has anybody who received the WL Inquiry email on Monday been called yet? I've been watching my phone fiendishly and am beginning to go a little crazy! :)

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:49 pm

sao415 wrote:Has anybody who received the WL Inquiry email on Monday been called yet? I've been watching my phone fiendishly and am beginning to go a little crazy! :)

I believe one or two posters on the last page got a call, and it seems like they were on the email list.

pomfiend

Postby pomfiend » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:36 pm

seashim - What did you end up doing?

jman77

Postby jman77 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:47 pm

sao415 wrote:Has anybody who received the WL Inquiry email on Monday been called yet? I've been watching my phone fiendishly and am beginning to go a little crazy! :)

I got the e-mail Monday, replied Tuesday, and got a call last night. Unfortunately, I had left my phone in the office. Left a voice message for Greg this morning - apparently, he's out of the office until the 21st.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:05 pm

jman77 wrote:

I got the e-mail Monday, replied Tuesday, and got a call last night. Unfortunately, I had left my phone in the office. Left a voice message for Greg this morning - apparently, he's out of the office until the 21st.

I'm sure that means an admit, congrats (but by looking at your numbers, you probably shouldn't be all too surprised).

Is Hastings in the running for you at all?

jman77

Postby jman77 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:25 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
jman77 wrote:

I'm sure that means an admit, congrats (but by looking at your numbers, you probably shouldn't be all too surprised).

Is Hastings in the running for you at all?

Depends on the money at this point. I was in SF all of last week, and I think I'd love to live there. Having said that, it would take a pretty good financial package from Hastings (which I understand might be far-fetched) to get me to pick them over WUSTL. Also, I'm still riding the UCLA and USC waitlists...

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:31 pm

jman77 wrote:Depends on the money at this point. I was in SF all of last week, and I think I'd love to live there. Having said that, it would take a pretty good financial package from Hastings (which I understand might be far-fetched) to get me to pick them over WUSTL. Also, I'm still riding the UCLA and USC waitlists...

San Francisco is definitely an amazing place to live, and the bay area in general is somewhere I can see myself staying long term.

Anyhow, good look with your decision and the rest of your WL's!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”