UC Hastings 2010!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tommytahoe

Silver

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Post by tommytahoe » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:25 am

General Tso wrote:
lawschoolwannabe1 wrote:

Arizona and ASU are not peer schools to Hastings....that's like saying Mason and Hastings are peer schools.
According to Law-School Rankings - Arizona State is ranked 38 and Hastings is 42, University of Arizona (Rogers) is ranked 42.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/rankings.html

PS - I also got the email today.
So if one wants to work in the bay area, Mason or American or CU Boulder should do just as fine because they are "peer schools" to Hastings according to USNWR? Arizona schools are great for AZ, but place very few graduates in CA, so I don't see how you can consider them "peer schools" to Hastings.
I was wondering when we would get to this question. Clams never said (s)he needed to practice in the Bay Area. I mean, it's a fair assumption, but I don't recall its ever having been said.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:27 am

cLams wrote: Thanks!!! Nope, I've only got til Thursday. I'd really love to go, but I'm having major sticker shock. (Right now I'm in at a peer school for 1/3 of the cost). Still nothing from Davis...I have a feeling it will be a while.
profile indicates in at ASU and Arizona with $

I investigated because Hastings' usual peer schools are nowhere near 1/3 as expensive

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:48 am

General Tso wrote:
cLams wrote: Thanks!!! Nope, I've only got til Thursday. I'd really love to go, but I'm having major sticker shock. (Right now I'm in at a peer school for 1/3 of the cost). Still nothing from Davis...I have a feeling it will be a while.

I investigated because Hastings' usual peer schools are nowhere near 1/3 as expensive

cice729

New

Post by cice729 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:50 am

General Tso wrote:

Alright, look. I'm not an "active" TLS participant, but here's my opinion. If cLams wants to practice in the Bay Area, yes - ASU/Arizona/CU won't carry as much weight, but take this into account: Pay sticker at Hastings and get ready to not only fight loan interest that snowballed the second you take them, but also fight job competition from Stanford, Boalt, Davis, your fellow UCH peers, Santa Clara, USF, Pacific, and GG (rank aside, the lower-tiered kids are still going to be present during the job hunt. Don't scoff, I personally know a recent GG grad who landed biglaw chez Nixon Peabody, and USF grads at Schiff Hardin/Morgan Lewis).

Go to ASU/Arizona/CU and you'll have attended the BEST schools in those respective states. What's their competition? U Denver Sturm? And at 1/3 the price, I'd say the peer rank with Hastings is justified. Less competition, cheaper and solid local reputation.

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:54 am

cice729 wrote:
General Tso wrote:

Alright, look. I'm not an "active" TLS participant, but here's my opinion. If cLams wants to practice in the Bay Area, yes - ASU/Arizona/CU won't carry as much weight, but take this into account: Pay sticker at Hastings and get ready to not only fight loan interest that snowballed the second you take them, but also fight job competition from Stanford, Boalt, Davis, your fellow UCH peers, Santa Clara, USF, Pacific, and GG (rank aside, the lower-tiered kids are still going to be present during the job hunt. Don't scoff, I personally know a recent GG grad who landed biglaw chez Nixon Peabody, and USF grads at Schiff Hardin/Morgan Lewis).

Go to ASU/Arizona/CU and you'll have attended the BEST schools in those respective states. What's their competition? U Denver Sturm? And at 1/3 the price, I'd say the peer rank with Hastings is justified. Less competition, cheaper and solid local reputation.
EXactly. And ditto on the "Why So Serious." This whole absurdity would go away if we just erased the word "peer."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cice729

New

Post by cice729 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:15 am

tommytahoe wrote:
cice729 wrote:
General Tso wrote:

EXactly. And ditto on the "Why So Serious." This whole absurdity would go away if we just erased the word "peer."
Thanks for the support tommytahoe!!

lawschoolwannabe1

New

Post by lawschoolwannabe1 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:26 am

My lowly opinion....

Non Resident Cost of Attendance for Hastings is $71,000 when calculating this years increase of about $6000. Resident Cost of Attendance for the University of Arizona (Rogers) is $45,098 which means a savings of around $75,000 over 3 years. Since Clams also got an $8000 per year scholarship for Arizona, they'd be saving an additional $24,000 over 3 years. Clams has stated he/she is having sticker shock, which leads me to believe that money is a strong factor. Having to pay $100,000 more in loans is a large amount of money considering interest over the long term and the present economy.

Now that all that's been said, Clams what you really need to think about is which college would fit better in the short term, where you want to live, do internships, make connections, etc., the next 3 years. If you do well, I have no doubt that your degree will take you anywhere you want to go. Hastings is a great college and so is Arizona. Good luck on your decision!

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:26 am

jesus people...

I recommend switching to decaf

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:38 am

General Tso wrote:jesus people...

I recommend switching to decaf
And I recommend some people take their own advice. The others here aren't the ones who had too much Starbucks with the pastries...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RadMobile

Bronze

Post by RadMobile » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:26 pm

After visiting the school for the second time today, finally decided on Hastings and withdrew from Davis!

For lunch, went to Naan and Curry on O'Farrel. Took a little stroll up Leavenworth to get there. SKETCHY, even during the day, but the area immediately surrounding the school isn't bad.

Look forward to meeting all of you in the fall. Especially General Tso. He's the #1 TLS Hastings fan. Wouldn't be surprised if he had "TENDERLOIN4LIFE" tattooed across his chest ;)

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:12 pm

Any calls, folks, from among those who got the email on Monday? I bet they make some calls Friday, although that's based on nothing more than a hunch. This is my second time a round with "the email," so I'm beginning to think they want to keep me around because I have a hot avatar.

cice729

New

Post by cice729 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:41 pm

tommytahoe wrote:Any calls, folks, from among those who got the email on Monday? I bet they make some calls Friday, although that's based on nothing more than a hunch. This is my second time a round with "the email," so I'm beginning to think they want to keep me around because I have a hot avatar.
tommytahoe wrote:Any calls, folks, from among those who got the email on Monday? I bet they make some calls Friday, although that's based on nothing more than a hunch. This is my second time a round with "the email," so I'm beginning to think they want to keep me around because I have a hot avatar.
Nope, no calls. I've literally been watching my phone in the following fashion:

:shock:

wnd360

New

Post by wnd360 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:43 pm

I received an e-mail inquiry on Tuesday and got in Wednesday around 5pm! There is still hope :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pomfiend

New

Post by pomfiend » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:24 am

cice729 wrote:
Nope, no calls. I've literally been watching my phone in the following fashion:

:shock:
I'm right there with you!!!

I was so excited when I got the email on Monday and it really got my hopes up. These past two days have been so anticlimactic! I hope they make more calls this week. This is my dream school and being so close to getting in is killing me!

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:52 am

I left my phone in the office last night and had a voice message from Greg this morning. I assume this would mean an acceptance? Spent all of last week in San Francisco and really liked the place...

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:53 pm

Is the Tenderloin that dangerous a place to live? Is it safe to park your car out on the street overnight?

Ranran1116

New

Post by Ranran1116 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:56 pm

a male human wrote:Is the Tenderloin that dangerous a place to live? Is it safe to park your car out on the street overnight?
Yeah, I would like to know that,too. If it is dangerous there, then I am going to Davis.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:08 pm

Ranran1116 wrote:
a male human wrote:Is the Tenderloin that dangerous a place to live? Is it safe to park your car out on the street overnight?
Yeah, I would like to know that,too. If it is dangerous there, then I am going to Davis.
This has been answered on the Discuss Your School threads, I'm pretty sure. I used to live in Berkeley, and would go to SF a lot, but not to the Tenderloin much, for obvious reasons —because it is unsavory and sketchy.

But from what I hear, while junkies and homelessness goes on there, and people can get mugged from time to time, etc, I don't think it is severe, and the perspective would be different depending on whether you are someone used to living in cities. That is, compared to parts of Oakland or LA or Detroit, it's really nothing at all, and the campus is removed enough from it that you don't have to walk through it if you don't want to.

As for cars... I have no idea. Someone else will have to answer that.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:26 pm

I can't speak to living in the Tenderloin. I'll just say I decided against it. It really depends on your tolerance for that kind of stuff.

During the day, it's past my tolerance for where I'd want to live.

I also wouldn't park a car around there overnight. At a minimum, garage it somewhere.

http://sanfrancisco.crimespotting.org

cice729

New

Post by cice729 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:29 pm

missinglink wrote:
I can't speak to living in the Tenderloin. I'll just say I decided against it. It really depends on your tolerance for that kind of stuff.

I also wouldn't park a car around there overnight. At a minimum, garage it somewhere.

Agreed - depends on your tolerance. If you're going to compare it with Davis, the Tenderloin is dangerous.

Ranran1116

New

Post by Ranran1116 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:36 pm

cice729 wrote:
missinglink wrote:

Agreed - depends on your tolerance. If you're going to compare it with Davis, the Tenderloin is dangerous.
So a lot of students do not stay in school to study at night, I guess?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

seashim

New

Post by seashim » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:46 pm

I got in via phone call on Monday afternoon, right after the email was sent out. I have until tonight at 4 pm to make up my mind. All along, I wanted to go to Hastings, but right now I am going to a higher ranked CA school (not Davis though) and I don't know what to do. It was what I really wanted all along but I'm not sure I can give up my scholarship for something so much more expensive, even though it is in the city that I want to live in long term. Any advice is welcome!
Last edited by seashim on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatorlion

Bronze

Post by gatorlion » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:53 pm

seashim wrote:I got in via phone call on Monday afternoon, right after the email was sent out. I have until tonight at 4 pm to make up my mind. All along, I wanted to go to Hastings, but right now I am going to a higher ranked CA school (not Davis though) and I don't know what to do. It was what I really wanted all along but I'm not sure I can give up my scholarship for something so much more expensive, even though it is in the city that I want to live in long term. Any advise is welcome!
Stanford > Boalt > UCLA > USC > Davis > Hastings

Are you suggesting that you have a scholarship at USC/UCLA and are considering paying sticker for Hastings?!?!?

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:56 pm

seashim wrote:I got in via phone call on Monday afternoon, right after the email was sent out. I have until tonight at 4 pm to make up my mind. All along, I wanted to go to Hastings, but right now I am going to a higher ranked CA school (not Davis though) and I don't know what to do. It was what I really wanted all along but I'm not sure I can give up my scholarship for something so much more expensive, even though it is in the city that I want to live in long term. Any advise is welcome!
Tough call. Really depends on where the other school is (ie, way out in the boondocks somewhere, or simply in another big city), and also how much $$ difference we're talking about, b/w Hastings and the other place.

I think in these scenarios, either side could win, depending on the price tag. SF works for some scenarios, but not if the other place gives 'X' amount of $$... that kinda thing.

EDIT: for grammar
Last edited by tommytahoe on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seashim

New

Post by seashim » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:00 pm

Well, I have no idea if I would be paying sticker. I wasn't going to accept, then I woke up this morning and felt differently about it. As for $, I have no idea what my package would be. I figure the loans will be about the same, but don't know about the rest of it. They told me a complete package would come after I accepted. Other school is just not where I want to be. Good school, good opportunities, not the right human environment for me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”