UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tommytahoe

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby tommytahoe » Fri May 28, 2010 4:20 pm

pamcasso wrote:anyone else think the ca-residency form is overly thorough....seems like overkill to me

I never filled it in, b/c I just lived here for 5 years, and I guessed I just earned it. Still, from what I hear, CA poses some of the fewest hoops to jump through. Try becoming an NC resident in a year. I think you are required to marry the mayor's daughter and start a family.

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri May 28, 2010 11:42 pm

pamcasso wrote:anyone else think the ca-residency form is overly thorough....seems like overkill to me

I am going overkill in return and giving them pages of crap to read.

dev2012

Postby dev2012 » Sat May 29, 2010 10:34 pm

Hey all, I am staying in McAllister Hall for the summer for a legal internship (I am not a Hastings student). Any advice on setting up internet? I don't have a Hastings ID to access the Hastings wireless. Many thanks!

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sun May 30, 2010 3:40 am

dev2012 wrote:Hey all, I am staying in McAllister Hall for the summer for a legal internship (I am not a Hastings student). Any advice on setting up internet? I don't have a Hastings ID to access the Hastings wireless. Many thanks!

it'd be better to ask the IT Dept on campus. I doubt anyone is going to share their Hastings ID/password with a stranger

pamcasso

Postby pamcasso » Sun May 30, 2010 2:19 pm

tommytahoe wrote:

I never filled it in, b/c I just lived here for 5 years, and I guessed I just earned it. Still, from what I hear, CA poses some of the fewest hoops to jump through. Try becoming an NC resident in a year. I think you are required to marry the mayor's daughter and start a family.

i lived in CA for my whole life basically so im not trying to become a resident. but we still have to prove our residency right? if ive been photocopying every form with my address on it ever im going to be upset

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Sun May 30, 2010 2:26 pm

pamcasso wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

i lived in CA for my whole life basically so im not trying to become a resident. but we still have to prove our residency right? if ive been photocopying every form with my address on it ever im going to be upset

"if ive been photocopying every form with my address on it ever im going to be upset"

I don't get what you mean here...
But I see, yes, I may have to actually proive it to Hastings (if they give me the WL call). I've been at JC and UC Davis undergrad with resident benefits, but if UC law schools need me to go back in time and dredge up old contracts, yes, that would irk me too.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sun May 30, 2010 5:59 pm

I don't think their residency standards are as strict as they make it seem. I had a few inconsistencies on my application last year and I still got CA residency (ie - driver's license and voting registration were done within less than a year prior to school start, but I had post office address changes and an apartment contract that were over a year).

pamcasso

Postby pamcasso » Mon May 31, 2010 1:42 am

tommytahoe wrote:
pamcasso wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

"if ive been photocopying every form with my address on it ever im going to be upset"

I don't get what you mean here...

the bolded was just me exaggerating....theres really only like 10 things. but finding them all is the annoying part (like my voter registration card... :x )

OhWell

Postby OhWell » Mon May 31, 2010 11:45 pm

Has anyone accessed the WebAdvisor? I know my info is corrected, but I can't acces it. Anything important?

maybesheis

Postby maybesheis » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:37 pm

OhWell wrote:Has anyone accessed the WebAdvisor? I know my info is corrected, but I can't acces it. Anything important?

I did. Nothing important in there really. It does have a checklist of paperwork you need to return and if they received it yet (immunizations, residency, etc).

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:43 pm

I'm feeling jilted. I am sure that their admissions office is going through a process —a process that can take a short time, or a long time— but I got that "level of interest" almost 3 weeks ago now, and I'm beginning to feel as if an offer of admission is a chimera.
Ironically, I am not stressing about it. Why worry about that which you can't control, right? But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping to get the damn call!! :)

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:06 pm

tommytahoe wrote:I'm feeling jilted. I am sure that their admissions office is going through a process —a process that can take a short time, or a long time— but I got that "level of interest" almost 3 weeks ago now, and I'm beginning to feel as if an offer of admission is a chimera.
Ironically, I am not stressing about it. Why worry about that which you can't control, right? But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping to get the damn call!! :)

Maybe you're a little worried... ;-)

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:23 pm

Regionality wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:I'm feeling jilted. I am sure that their admissions office is going through a process —a process that can take a short time, or a long time— but I got that "level of interest" almost 3 weeks ago now, and I'm beginning to feel as if an offer of admission is a chimera.

Maybe you're a little worried... ;-)

Yeah, maybe. Don't tell the rest of the thread though.

RadMobile

Postby RadMobile » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:26 pm

Anyone else apply for the Tony Patino fellowship??

elmeromero

Postby elmeromero » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:38 pm

I applied before the original deadline. It would have been nice to have the extra weeks to get it in though. I wonder if they'll make our application to the school part of the Patino application; it said on the application for the Fellowship that we permitted access to our application files.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:12 pm

elmeromero wrote:I applied before the original deadline. It would have been nice to have the extra weeks to get it in though. I wonder if they'll make our application to the school part of the Patino application; it said on the application for the Fellowship that we permitted access to our application files.

Yeah, that was kind of unfair to you. Wonder why they extended the deadline in the first place?

elmeromero

Postby elmeromero » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:43 pm

I don't really mind. Good luck to those who also applied.

I've searched TLS for anything Patino related to try to gain some insight from past applicants and I can't find anything. Can anyone point to a thread?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:16 am

elmeromero wrote:I've searched TLS for anything Patino related to try to gain some insight from past applicants and I can't find anything. Can anyone point to a thread?

I just tried this too and found very little info, although I did surprisingly learn that it's a fellowship awarded at Hastings, Chicago, and Columbia. Didn't really look into it before and figured it was only Hastings. I was also surprised to learn that apparently only one or two fellows are selected at each school. That "several" fellows are selected at Hastings according to their website is probably a typo then. If it's really one or two fellows per school, I've got no shot...

More info on the fellowship can be found here: http://www.patinofellowship.org/

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:28 am

Does anyone know now many hours we actually spend in class during the week at Hastings?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:02 pm

MD/JD2B wrote:Does anyone know now many hours we actually spend in class during the week at Hastings?

its roughly the same as the number of hour credits you are taking. it should be 13 hours your first semester and 16 in your second . so for a 4 credit class like contracts you will probably have it from 9:40 to 11:50 on mondays and wednesdays or something. you get a 10 minute break halfway through.

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm filling out the immunization record. Does anyone know what the difference between "PPD Result" and "PPD Status" is?

Status is required, so I'm tempted to put the result there, but then what's in the result field?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:28 pm

a male human wrote:I'm filling out the immunization record. Does anyone know what the difference between "PPD Result" and "PPD Status" is?

Status is required, so I'm tempted to put the result there, but then what's in the result field?

I just let the doctor fill that out.

Just an update because many people asked -- even if you don't get a grant your first year, you may be eligible in your 2nd or 3rd years. I got nothing my first year and a 7k grant my second year. It all depends on your EFC I assume. My EFC went down from ~11,000 first year to ~5,000 second year.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:37 pm

General Tso wrote:
a male human wrote:I'm filling out the immunization record. Does anyone know what the difference between "PPD Result" and "PPD Status" is?

Just an update because many people asked -- even if you don't get a grant your first year, you may be eligible in your 2nd or 3rd years. I got nothing my first year and a 7k grant my second year. It all depends on your EFC I assume. My EFC went down from ~11,000 first year to ~5,000 second year.

Conversely, as long as I don't increase my EFC from nothing to something, I should be able to get the same grant amount the 2nd and 3rd years?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:58 pm

missinglink wrote:
General Tso wrote:

Conversely, as long as I don't increase my EFC from nothing to something, I should be able to get the same grant amount the 2nd and 3rd years?

How would you increase your EFC? If you are depleting savings and accruing debt, it can only go down. The only way I can think of is if your spouse's income increases dramatically, or something.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:46 pm

Good point.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”