UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tommytahoe

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby tommytahoe » Tue May 11, 2010 3:01 pm

cLams wrote:Just got the new WL e-mail.

Me too. What does this mean? I will respond letting him know of my interest, but why, and to whom, do they send these emails?

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Tue May 11, 2010 3:08 pm

tommytahoe wrote:

Me too. What does this mean? I will respond letting him know of my interest, but why, and to whom, do they send these emails?

Look above and on previous page, and you'll see a string of WLers getting these e-mails before they got calls to come off the WL.

No promises, but it would seem as if you're fixin' to get a call off the WL if you respond that you're still innersted. I think the turnaround was like 1 day.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue May 11, 2010 4:33 pm

ozarkhack wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

Look above and on previous page, and you'll see a string of WLers getting these e-mails before they got calls to come off the WL.

No promises, but it would seem as if you're fixin' to get a call off the WL if you respond that you're still innersted. I think the turnaround was like 1 day.

Thanks. So, does anybody know if one is expected to put down the deposit over the phone?
Secondly, although I know it's been discussed before, what do people know about how need-based grants work? I am 37, no parent support, EFC=0, made $8000 last year while in school, and $2000 in the bank.
Can I expect maybe $30,000 over 3 years? Any first-hand experiences with this last question would really help me out. Thanks!

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue May 11, 2010 4:47 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

Thanks. So, does anybody know if one is expected to put down the deposit over the phone?
Secondly, although I know it's been discussed before, what do people know about how need-based grants work? I am 37, no parent support, EFC=0, made $8000 last year while in school, and $2000 in the bank.
Can I expect maybe $30,000 over 3 years? Any first-hand experiences with this last question would really help me out. Thanks!

On the first question, you'll have a couple days to mull over the decision. I was called on Friday, and given until Tuesday to pay the $500 deposit. You can do that either online or through the mail.

On the second question, I can't help you there. Most people seem to receive the Hastings grant, but I've heard having *some* money in the bank disqualifies you for it.

Now a question of my own: How much time are people budgeting for the housing / apartment search? I'm unfamiliar with the state of the rental market in SF. Should I start my search now, or is June / July still a safe bet?

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Tue May 11, 2010 4:53 pm

Those of you getting in off the WL are you definitely going? If so what schools are you forgoing in order to attend Hastings?

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue May 11, 2010 5:00 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:Those of you getting in off the WL are you definitely going? If so what schools are you forgoing in order to attend Hastings?

This is the only accept so far (withdrew from AU and Santa Clara some time ago), so it's not like I have a choice where I'm going. I am on 7 waitlists altogether, I live in Nor Cal, Hastings was always one of my very top picks.

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Tue May 11, 2010 5:04 pm

congrats Im hoping for some WL love!

did you write a LOCI?

hellokitty

Postby hellokitty » Tue May 11, 2010 5:07 pm

Just withdrew, I hope my spot goes to one of you guys!

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue May 11, 2010 5:13 pm

Headybrah wrote:congrats Im hoping for some WL love!

did you write a LOCI?

Hi, thanks! I wrote one right after I got the WL email (like March 28?). About 3 weeks ago I let them know by email I was interested, and could I send another LOCI + updated resume. They said to hang tight until they let us know they are accepting more materials.
So, that's where it ended until today. IF they call, then I would no longer a law school orphan!

To the above poster, SF housing is not cheap, but if you share with others, or live on the outer parts of the (small) city, you can make it easier. Many folks live in Okaland/Berkeley areas too. I am thinking very hard about doing that, b/c I lived in a really nice area of Oakland for 5 years, in a shared house by Lake Merritt, for $750 a month. 15-minute BART ride to Hastings + to- and from BART station.

cLams

Postby cLams » Tue May 11, 2010 5:52 pm

I didn't write an LOCI, and I am not positive if I would attend if I am accepted. I'd LOVE to go to Hastings, as it was my intitial first choice, but I don't know if I can justify the debt. Fingers crossed for some grant $$$.

Cognoscenti

Postby Cognoscenti » Tue May 11, 2010 6:08 pm

Withdrew my WL acceptance today. Good luck!!!

bearsEATtrees

Postby bearsEATtrees » Tue May 11, 2010 6:17 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

I am no expert at all... but I do have parent support and my income/bank numbers were about where yours were and I got a Hastings grant for $10k a year and an additional scholarship. Though I don't know if those numbers would stay consistent for people admitted off the waitlist.

bearsEATtrees

Postby bearsEATtrees » Tue May 11, 2010 6:24 pm

Now a question of my own: How much time are people budgeting for the housing / apartment search? I'm unfamiliar with the state of the rental market in SF. Should I start my search now, or is June / July still a safe bet?[/quote]

I go to school in Berkeley and a lot of my friends live in the city, if they weren't trying to live there during the summer most of them started looking in Julyish. Obviously if you are really strict about area/price/size things can get difficult to find but if you are flexible there is plenty of housing in the city. Most apartments for rent aren't advertised months in advance of their move-in date. But look at craigslist to get an understanding of the options.

I'm sure tons of people would disagree on me with this, but I personally wouldn't recommend living in Berkeley and BARTing to Hastings... Bart can get expensive and it adds up quickly. It can also get kind of isolating being across the bay, you won't hang out in the city as much and the young professionals culture in SF is much stronger than in Berkeley.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue May 11, 2010 6:29 pm

tommytahoe wrote:I am 37, no parent support, EFC=0, made $8000 last year while in school, and $2000 in the bank.

my advice is to expect the unexpected

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue May 11, 2010 6:30 pm

bearsEATtrees wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

I am no expert at all... but I do have parent support and my income/bank numbers were about where yours were and I got a Hastings grant for $10k a year and an additional scholarship. Though I don't know if those numbers would stay consistent for people admitted off the waitlist.

That absolutely helps. I know all cases re different, but it is empirical facts I need at this point. That is very encouraging, provided the grant itself was based on need only.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue May 11, 2010 6:32 pm

General Tso wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:I am 37, no parent support, EFC=0, made $8000 last year while in school, and $2000 in the bank.

my advice is to expect the unexpected

That's kind of obtuse, no? What do you suppose, in my specific scenario, would be 'unexpected?' Because then I can expect myself to expect it. :)

soccersmo

Postby soccersmo » Tue May 11, 2010 7:09 pm

do any of you current students live in one of the cheaper studio apts... i got assigned one which is 1015, so I think its the smallest of the studios and I was just curious if anyone knows the dimensions... I know its a bit smaller than 350 sq feet, but that includes the bathroom so Im really curious about dimensions if anyone knows!! Anyone else know for sure yet if they will be living in McAllister??!

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Wed May 12, 2010 4:01 am

Anybody know when seat deposit #2 is?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed May 12, 2010 6:24 am

tommytahoe wrote:Anybody know when seat deposit #2 is?

you mean for the tower? Or for the school?

I thought it was just the one $500 deposit :|

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Wed May 12, 2010 6:26 am

Borhas wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:Anybody know when seat deposit #2 is?

you mean for the tower? Or for the school?

I thought it was just the one $500 deposit :|

Oh, for the school.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Wed May 12, 2010 6:27 am

I assumed there would be a second one, since so many schools go May 1, June 15 or something.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed May 12, 2010 11:10 am

tommytahoe wrote:I assumed there would be a second one, since so many schools go May 1, June 15 or something.

Nein.

Just the one and only seat deposit.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu May 13, 2010 2:59 pm

I just got an email from the assistant dean saying there was a spot on the waitlist available for me. Does anyone know how Hastings is doing? I heard it was expected to go down hill the last time I was on this thread. I love San Francisco and would love to live in the area for possibly all of eternity.

But would it be worth turning down GW or Brooklyn@full ride?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu May 13, 2010 3:03 pm

sibley wrote:I just got an email from the assistant dean saying there was a spot on the waitlist available for me. Does anyone know how Hastings is doing? I heard it was expected to go down hill the last time I was on this thread. I love San Francisco and would love to live in the area for possibly all of eternity.

depends on what you want to do and where you want to do it and financial aid

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Thu May 13, 2010 3:06 pm

sibley wrote:I just got an email from the assistant dean saying there was a spot on the waitlist available for me. Does anyone know how Hastings is doing? I heard it was expected to go down hill the last time I was on this thread. I love San Francisco and would love to live in the area for possibly all of eternity.

Dont leave us at GW! xD

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”