UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
missinglink

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby missinglink » Mon May 03, 2010 11:13 pm

So, even with the deposit deadline past, it will probably be a couple weeks before we see any WL movement.

Anyone else working on their LOCI?

I only plan to send one true LOCI, restating why Hastings remains a top choice. If it goes into June/July, I'll probably just follow up once or maybe twice a month with short emails letting them know I'm still around. I'm currently looking through last years WL thread to get an idea of how Hastings handles the process.

On the administration issue, the only people I've dealt with have been the people in admissions, and they have been more than friendly and helpful. I honestly was surprised, given my status as a wait-listed applicant. They've treated me much better than at schools that have accepted me.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Mon May 03, 2010 11:19 pm

missinglink wrote:So, even with the deposit deadline past, it will probably be a couple weeks before we see any WL movement.

Anyone else working on their LOCI?

I only plan to send one true LOCI, restating why Hastings remains a top choice. If it goes into June/July, I'll probably just follow up once or maybe twice a month with short emails letting them know I'm still around. I'm currently looking through last years WL thread to get an idea of how Hastings handles the process.

On the administration issue, the only people I've dealt with have been the people in admissions, and they have been more than friendly and helpful. I honestly was surprised, given my status as a wait-listed applicant. They've treated me much better than at schools that have accepted me.

I sewnt them one back in late March, when they wailtisted, then i found out they are very restrictive on what gets sent, and when, and how. I cooled off, then emailed them last week, to ask when would be a good time to start sending supplementary materials. Christian said NO LORs, which is lame, b/c I have a great one (like taking an arrow out of my quiver). He said they will start to look at WL stuff in late May. Although I think that's when they'll solicit extra LOCIs, etc, I'm just gonna send it to them anyway, late May, with my updated resume.

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue May 04, 2010 12:00 am

JR1187 wrote:
HobbitCat wrote:
elmeromero wrote:
HobbitCat wrote:Thanks guys! I am posting here because I actually called the financial aid office and the person who picked up the phone (Sarah I think?) got upset when I asked if I could take out less than what they gave me or to not take out one of the loans at all. She said "why are you telling us you have no money now when you told us you didn't have money," and at one point said "I don't believe this" under her breath thinking I wouldn't hear it.

But anyways, I just wanted to find out if it's wrong to not accept everything they gave me- I didn't think this was a problem until I called (but maybe that's something stupid to do, haha).

Did you get grants? If you did, the financial aid office gets upset (understandibly so) that you claimed to have financial need to get the grants, yet you not needing to take out the full amount in loans seems to indicate otherwise. (i.e. some other source of money that you did not report on Need Access is going to help you make the difference in COA). Remember, the grants are not scholarships; you get the money because you showed need. If, after getting the money, you turn around and not take out loans, then there is a valid question to be asked of where the rest of the money is coming from.

I didn't tell her that I was going to accept only grants (that would obviously be unacceptable)- I wanted to take out a lesser amount of a loan. This is because I am not living in SF so I won't have to spend $10,000 dollars in rent- what am I supposed to do with the rest of the loan money that I don't need? To only borrow the amount you need was the advice I got even before I started applying to law school.

The stock market is starting to look bullish, the historical return on investment is 10% (12% if you're looking at recent history). The interest rate on federal loans, if I remember correctly, will be around 5-8%. Subsidized loans won't accrue interest until after you're out of school. You do the math.

Are you telling him to stick that money "somewhere in the stock market"? For one, which historical return are you talking about? If you bought and held at the start of the century, you are about break even. If you somehow called the bottom last March, you'd be up over 50% (assuming you invested in something that had the same return as the broad markets). But we are way overextended (on the bullish side), due for a bearish pullback probably this year. More importantly, why would one invest with loans? Rather than risking borrowed money in volatile vehicles such as stocks (I mean, unless you are a professional trader or something), why not something safer like CDs or online savings accounts (both 1%+ APY but no penalties for early withdrawal on the savings account)?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue May 04, 2010 5:00 pm

Are you telling him to stick that money "somewhere in the stock market"? For one, which historical return are you talking about? If you bought and held at the start of the century, you are about break even. If you somehow called the bottom last March, you'd be up over 50% (assuming you invested in something that had the same return as the broad markets). But we are way overextended (on the bullish side), due for a bearish pullback probably this year. More importantly, why would one invest with loans? Rather than risking borrowed money in volatile vehicles such as stocks (I mean, unless you are a professional trader or something), why not something safer like CDs or online savings accounts (both 1%+ APY but no penalties for early withdrawal on the savings account)?

first, I'm not sure if it's legal to use financial aid money for any of these purposes,

but because using loans on CDs would be counterproductive unless they were subsidized and they'd only be subsidized for 3 years anyway.

The best thing to do with any money saved on cost of living expenses is to pay down credit card debt (if you have any). Paying down credit card debt is the best investment anyone can make... can't really beat getting rid of 18+% APR

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue May 04, 2010 5:36 pm

Borhas wrote:

first, I'm not sure if it's legal to use financial aid money for any of these purposes,

but because using loans on CDs would be counterproductive unless they were subsidized and they'd only be subsidized for 3 years anyway.

The best thing to do with any money saved on cost of living expenses is to pay down credit card debt (if you have any). Paying down credit card debt is the best investment anyone can make... can't really beat getting rid of 18+% APR

It's definitely not legal.

13. Under penalty of perjury, I certify for any loan I receive under this MPN that:
A. The information I have provided on this MPN and as updated by me from time to time is
true, complete, and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief and is made in good faith.
B. Loan proceeds will be used for authorized educational costs that I incur. I will immediately
repay any loan proceeds that cannot be attributed to educational costs for attendance on at
least a half-time basis at the school that certified my loan eligibility.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Tue May 04, 2010 5:39 pm

Good, that settles that then. All the investment talk was getting tiresome lengthy.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue May 04, 2010 5:41 pm

anyone who is still waiting for their first decision get anything in the mail today?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue May 04, 2010 7:55 pm

finalaspects wrote:anyone who is still waiting for their first decision get anything in the mail today?

have you called them? you think they may have lost your application?

nlmne20

Postby nlmne20 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:39 pm

So I applied for a one bedroom in the Tower. Has anyone seen one? I've seen pics of studios and efficiencies and saw a 2 bedroom on ASD, but would like to get an idea of what I'll be working with in terms of furniture.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed May 05, 2010 12:45 pm

finalaspects wrote:anyone who is still waiting for their first decision get anything in the mail today?

Definitely call them. Someone in the UC Davis thread said they had called Hastings admissions earlier in the cycle, and the admin office said they would have all decisions out by May 1st.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed May 05, 2010 12:48 pm

missinglink wrote:

Definitely call them. Someone in the UC Davis thread said they had called Hastings admissions earlier in the cycle, and the admin office said they would have all decisions out by May 1st.

yea i know they were mailed out. that's why im wondering if anyone got their decisions in the mail yet. im in southern california so it should take a couple of days. expecting a rejection though.

2stitches

Postby 2stitches » Thu May 06, 2010 3:11 pm

Yes, they are working on the waitlist NOW!

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Thu May 06, 2010 3:19 pm

Just got a WL enquiry, too.

Looks like I won the bet with myself. I might in fact hear about the Hastings WL *before* Davis gets back to me with it's initial response.

meddlingkid

Postby meddlingkid » Thu May 06, 2010 3:25 pm

I'll be withdrawing shortly. I hope one of you gets my spot!

scgoaliface32

Postby scgoaliface32 » Thu May 06, 2010 3:28 pm

Ditto, and scholarship money. GL to those on the list!

2013esq

Postby 2013esq » Thu May 06, 2010 3:33 pm

meddlingkid wrote:I'll be withdrawing shortly. I hope one of you gets my spot!

What?!?!

2013esq

Postby 2013esq » Thu May 06, 2010 3:34 pm

<------Withdrew

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Thu May 06, 2010 3:39 pm

missinglink wrote:Just got a WL enquiry, too.

Looks like I won the bet with myself. I might in fact hear about the Hastings WL *before* Davis gets back to me with it's initial response.

2stitches wrote:Yes, they are working on the waitlist NOW!

Aw, shoot. I didn't get any new WL info.

What's it say?

2stitches

Postby 2stitches » Thu May 06, 2010 3:42 pm

Greetings from UC Hastings. I hope this message finds you doing well.

We plan to make a few offers of admission from our waitlist. If you would like to be considered for a spot at UC Hastings, please contact us promptly at admiss@uchastings.edu. Do not reply directly to this email. Please start a new message, and show only "WL" on the subject line of your email. Please include in the body of your email the following:

1.Your full name
2. LSAC number
3. Current phone number
4. Current mailing address

It is important that we receive your email as soon as possible. If you are selected for admission from the wait list, you will receive a telephone call notifying you of that decision. You will be required to make a $500.00 non-refundable deposit to secure your place in the fall class. You may wish to review the wait list requirements on the UC Hastings website at: http://www.uchastings.edu/waitlist.

If you would like to withdraw your name from waitlist consideration, please respond to this email and indicate that you no longer wish to attend UC Hastings.

Warm regards,

Greg Canada
Assistant Dean of Admissions

meddlingkid

Postby meddlingkid » Thu May 06, 2010 3:45 pm

2013esq wrote:
meddlingkid wrote:I'll be withdrawing shortly. I hope one of you gets my spot!

What?!?!

Yep, it's all about WUSTL now!

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Thu May 06, 2010 3:47 pm

Yeah, that's the one. Needless to say, I'll be glued to my phone for the foreseeable future.

I've just spent the last several days carefully crafting an LOCI, too. I even sent it to some people for comments and edits. I was planning to send it tomorrow.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Thu May 06, 2010 3:51 pm

2stitches wrote:Greetings from UC Hastings. I hope this message finds you doing well. ...

Well, poop. Judging by the fact that you all got this and I didn't, I imagine it means they're doing WL pulls in ranked batches (which makes total sense) and that y'all have pretty good shot.

Missinglink: For all the turmoil Davis is putting you through, I hope you get it ASAP.

And, 2stitches? You get in for sharing.

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Thu May 06, 2010 3:55 pm

hmmm wonder if I should even bother sending an LOCI... seems like they know who they want and will extend offers to them regardless of interest. Maybe more valuable holding off till end of the month with the LOCI I guess....

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu May 06, 2010 4:00 pm

Also got the WL email. My numbers are way above them... anyone know if there's a chance I could still get a scholarship?

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Thu May 06, 2010 4:08 pm

sibley wrote:Also got the WL email. My numbers are way above them... anyone know if there's a chance I could still get a scholarship?

I thought they didn't really give out many merit-based aid? Also, I wouldn't say both your numbers are way above (According to profile, your GPA is below 25th, which is clearly the only reason you got WL'd in the 1st place).

Everybody else who got email today high-LSAT splitters?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”