UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
finalaspects

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby finalaspects » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:34 am

are there people still waiting for decisions?

or am i the only one left?

pamcasso

Postby pamcasso » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:12 pm

HobbitCat wrote:Can someone could help me out on this finaid problem?

I am planning on living at home in the Easy Bay, so I was wondering if I could subtract my estimated living expenses (the $19898 they gave us) from the total cost ($59015) so that I can borrow less loans?

I mean, is the finaid office going to change my package if I send out my award letter response saying I have decided to borrow less and remove my grant and loans because my total cost of attendance has changed?

And is borrowing less loans going to affect my chances of getting grants next year?

Sorry I am new to this stuff, thanks to anyone who's willing to help!

i am actually in the exact same situation. i called the financial aid office, and they told me just to click that "reduce" button next to the loans i wanted to lessen and to explain the reason. i am a little worried this might make them adjust my grant, but i haven't heard anything yet

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:13 pm

pamcasso wrote:
HobbitCat wrote:Can someone could help me out on this finaid problem?

I am planning on living at home in the Easy Bay, so I was wondering if I could subtract my estimated living expenses (the $19898 they gave us) from the total cost ($59015) so that I can borrow less loans?

I mean, is the finaid office going to change my package if I send out my award letter response saying I have decided to borrow less and remove my grant and loans because my total cost of attendance has changed?

And is borrowing less loans going to affect my chances of getting grants next year?

Sorry I am new to this stuff, thanks to anyone who's willing to help!

i am actually in the exact same situation. i called the financial aid office, and they told me just to click that "reduce" button next to the loans i wanted to lessen and to explain the reason. i am a little worried this might make them adjust my grant, but i haven't heard anything yet

you can accept as much or as little of the award as you want. I accepted only the Staffords (21k total I think) out of the entire 50k package.

HobbitCat

Postby HobbitCat » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks guys! I am posting here because I actually called the financial aid office and the person who picked up the phone (Sarah I think?) got upset when I asked if I could take out less than what they gave me or to not take out one of the loans at all. She said "why are you telling us you have no money now when you told us you didn't have money," and at one point said "I don't believe this" under her breath thinking I wouldn't hear it.

But anyways, I just wanted to find out if it's wrong to not accept everything they gave me- I didn't think this was a problem until I called (but maybe that's something stupid to do, haha).

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:20 pm

HobbitCat wrote:Thanks guys! I am posting here because I actually called the financial aid office and the person who picked up the phone (Sarah I think?) got upset when I asked if I could take out less than what they gave me or to not take out one of the loans at all. She said "why are you telling us you have no money now when you told us you didn't have money," and at one point said "I don't believe this" under her breath thinking I wouldn't hear it.

But anyways, I just wanted to find out if it's wrong to not accept everything they gave me- I didn't think this was a problem until I called (but maybe that's something stupid to do, haha).

Makes me not want to go to this school.

pamcasso

Postby pamcasso » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:29 pm

HobbitCat wrote:Thanks guys! I am posting here because I actually called the financial aid office and the person who picked up the phone (Sarah I think?) got upset when I asked if I could take out less than what they gave me or to not take out one of the loans at all. She said "why are you telling us you have no money now when you told us you didn't have money," and at one point said "I don't believe this" under her breath thinking I wouldn't hear it.

yeah ive sort of felt that since i sent in my deposit they havent bothered to be as nice to me haha. but yeah dont let her attitude lead you to keep loans you dont need

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:44 pm

hey guys, sorry for asking again, but am i the only one left without receiving a decision? i was complete in mid-october so they had my app for almost 7 months now.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:38 pm

finalaspects wrote:hey guys, sorry for asking again, but am i the only one left without receiving a decision? i was complete in mid-october so they had my app for almost 7 months now.

I can't imagine there are too many more people waiting for a decision. From what I gathered in talking with them, they had gone through their acceptances. They'll be processing deposits soon, so I'd call them.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:50 pm

missinglink wrote:
finalaspects wrote:hey guys, sorry for asking again, but am i the only one left without receiving a decision? i was complete in mid-october so they had my app for almost 7 months now.

I can't imagine there are too many more people waiting for a decision. From what I gathered in talking with them, they had gone through their acceptances. They'll be processing deposits soon, so I'd call them.

yea im expecting a rejection. waitlist at best since its near the end of the cycle.... :cry:

pomfiend

Postby pomfiend » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:06 pm

missinglink wrote:
Shellbelle wrote:withdrawing today. Hope my spot goes to someone who really wants it :)

Thank you. :)

I took a tour earlier this week. Loved the school, even with the thick final exam atmosphere. I also heard some promising things about the wait list, so I remain hopeful for some positive news sometime this summer.

I saw a bit of the tower. I don't know if I could justify the cost for the amenities, even with the convenient location.

I'm waitlisted and Hastings has always been my dream school. If you don't mind my asking, could you elaborate on the promising things they said about the waitlist?

elmeromero

Postby elmeromero » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:28 pm

Did you get grants? If you did, the financial aid office gets upset (understandibly so) that you claimed to have financial need to get the grants, yet you not needing to take out the full amount in loans seems to indicate otherwise. (i.e. some other source of money that you did not report on Need Access is going to help you make the difference in COA). Remember, the grants are not scholarships; you get the money because you showed need. If, after getting the money, you turn around and not take out loans, then there is a valid question to be asked of where the rest of the money is coming from.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:29 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:

It'd be beyond stupid to base any decision on this one unsubstantiated, likely exaggerated claim. But if you feel comfortable with it, by all means...

"why are you telling us you have no money now when you told us you didn't have money,"

And this quote doesn't make any sense either.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:31 pm

elmeromero wrote:

Did you get grants? If you did, the financial aid office gets upset (understandibly so) that you claimed to have financial need to get the grants, yet you not needing to take out the full amount in loans seems to indicate otherwise. (i.e. some other source of money that you did not report on Need Access is going to help you make the difference in COA). Remember, the grants are not scholarships; you get the money because you showed need. If, after getting the money, you turn around and not take out loans, then there is a valid question to be asked of where the rest of the money is coming from.

Exactly, and I'd go even further. Those getting any need based grants should absolutely be required to take out a minimum amount of loans to keep everybody honest.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:33 pm

drdolittle wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:

It'd be beyond stupid to base any decision on this one unsubstantiated, likely exaggerated claim. But if you feel comfortable with it, by all means...

"why are you telling us you have no money now when you told us you didn't have money,"

And this quote doesn't make any sense either.

It's just one of the many incidences I've heard about/experienced from UCH's administration whether it be admissions or the financial aid office. I know it reflects nothing on the quality of education, the integrity of the professors or the student body QOL etc. But it is still kind of a turn off, if true.

HobbitCat

Postby HobbitCat » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:58 pm

elmeromero wrote:

I didn't tell her that I was going to accept only grants (that would obviously be unacceptable)- I wanted to take out a lesser amount of a loan. This is because I am not living in SF so I won't have to spend $10,000 dollars in rent- what am I supposed to do with the rest of the loan money that I don't need? To only borrow the amount you need was the advice I got even before I started applying to law school.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:02 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:It's just one of the many incidences I've heard about/experienced from UCH's administration whether it be admissions or the financial aid office. I know it reflects nothing on the quality of education, the integrity of the professors or the student body QOL etc. But it is still kind of a turn off, if true.

In my experience as well, the administration at Hastings is not necessarily the school's strength. They deal with a relatively large applicant pool/student body and they don't have time for enough personal attention. But realize that their effect on your life will be very limited once you enroll and, as applicants, we definitely have a distorted view of their impact. Already at ASD, I was impressed by how well the event was organized for such a large group and by how eager the admissions staff was to recruit all prospective students on a personal level. For those of us who went to a UC, Hastings' administration is nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, I'd say it's less impacted and more responsive than at the UC-UG campuses.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:07 pm

drdolittle wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:It's just one of the many incidences I've heard about/experienced from UCH's administration whether it be admissions or the financial aid office. I know it reflects nothing on the quality of education, the integrity of the professors or the student body QOL etc. But it is still kind of a turn off, if true.

In my experience as well, the administration at Hastings is not necessarily the school's strength. They deal with a relatively large applicant pool/student body and they don't have time for enough personal attention. But realize that their effect on your life will be very limited once you enroll and, as applicants, we definitely have a distorted view of their impact. Already at ASD, I was impressed by how well the event was organized for such a large group and by how eager the admissions staff was to recruit all prospective students on a personal level. For those of us who went to a UC, Hastings' administration is nothing out of the ordinary. In fact, I'd say it's less impacted and more responsive than at the UC-UG campuses.

That is really good to hear. Thanks for that perspective. I've only dealt with the admin so my views are definitely skewed a bit and I'm looking forward to visiting in the next couple of weeks. Good to hear about the ASD, I wasn't able to make it that weekend and I'm glad to hear the good reviews.

elmeromero

Postby elmeromero » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:34 pm

HobbitCat wrote:
elmeromero wrote:

I didn't tell her that I was going to accept only grants (that would obviously be unacceptable)- I wanted to take out a lesser amount of a loan. This is because I am not living in SF so I won't have to spend $10,000 dollars in rent- what am I supposed to do with the rest of the loan money that I don't need? To only borrow the amount you need was the advice I got even before I started applying to law school.

That's why they are need-based[i][/i] grants. If you don't need the money, someone else does. You have to remember, again, that these are not scholarships. This money was given to you on the assumption that you needed it. Other people who actually need grants, also actually need all of the loan money as well. Otherwise, the first place to cut from is from the grant money, not the loan money. This money works entirely differently than a common scholarship award, where need is not even considered.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:04 pm

drdolittle wrote:

Yup.. Hastings administration is one of its weak points. Financial, admissions, residency, etc people -- just expect them to be buttholes. But I will say that 2 departments - Careers and Health Services - are major exceptions to this. All the nurses and doctors at the health clinic are super nice...they probably get paid a ton out of our health fees, but I personally think this service is worth the expense.

Keep in mind that you won't be dealing with these administration people on a frequent basis at all. The professors at Hastings are what should think about, and most of them are excellent just as you would expect at a T1 school.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:16 pm

General Tso wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

Yup.. Hastings administration is one of its weak points. Financial, admissions, residency, etc people -- just expect them to be buttholes. But I will say that 2 departments - Careers and Health Services - are major exceptions to this. All the nurses and doctors at the health clinic are super nice...they probably get paid a ton out of our health fees, but I personally think this service is worth the expense.

Keep in mind that you won't be dealing with these administration people on a frequent basis at all. The professors at Hastings are what should think about, and most of them are excellent just as you would expect at a T1 school.

Great. Thank you so much for the reassurance guys!

autoding

Postby autoding » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi finalaspects,

I haven't received a decision either although I applied at the deadline.

At least you know that they are having a hard time making a decision on your app........meaning you must be right on the edge of either accept/WL or WL/deny.

Hope you get good news soon!

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:29 pm

autoding wrote:

Hi finalaspects,

I haven't received a decision either although I applied at the deadline.

At least you know that they are having a hard time making a decision on your app........meaning you must be right on the edge of either accept/WL or WL/deny.

Hope you get good news soon!

hastings has informed me, that they're pretty much only giving out rejections and waitlists at best now. so i doubt its because they liked me. i think they just put me to the side to reject later.

good luck though!

stonepeep

Postby stonepeep » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:13 pm

General Tso wrote:Yup.. Hastings administration is one of its weak points. Financial, admissions, residency, etc people -- just expect them to be buttholes. But I will say that 2 departments - Careers and Health Services - are major exceptions to this. All the nurses and doctors at the health clinic are super nice...they probably get paid a ton out of our health fees, but I personally think this service is worth the expense.

Yeah, I just want to second this. The only admin people I have dealt with at all since starting at Hastings have been in Career Services (well, went to Fin Aid to turn in a form once, and the 30 second encounter was fine). I can see why a person might worry about their school experience if the only people they dealt with before choosing to attend were jerks, but I truly believe that all of the people you will deal with on more than a cursory basis as a student are nice and helpful.

I guess the one exception could be if you live in the Tower. I don't, so I have no idea what those people are like. Never heard complaints from my Tower-dwelling friends, though!

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:15 pm

I'm not addressing any financial issues here, but the ASD I went to on 4/17 was extremely well done. I had spoken to Greg Canada (director of admissions) in the past and he went out of his way to introduce me to the administrative staff and other admissions officers (one who remembered my application or so he said). I had gone to a class on the preceding Thursday (a small seminar) and asked a couple of questions and the professor came over at lunch for a quick "hello" and also introduced me to another faculty member I had inquired about. Friendly staff, personable profs...

JR1187

Postby JR1187 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:47 pm

HobbitCat wrote:
elmeromero wrote:

The stock market is starting to look bullish, the historical return on investment is 10% (12% if you're looking at recent history). The interest rate on federal loans, if I remember correctly, will be around 5-8%. Subsidized loans won't accrue interest until after you're out of school. You do the math.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”