UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Borhas

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Borhas » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:29 pm

fiftyonefifty wrote:For those of you applying for housing in the towers, what size rooms are you guys requesting? I would guess the majority is choosing between a efficiency and a studio.

I got a studio... I may even switch to an efficiency... but probably not. I can't justify the cost of anything bigger.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:02 pm

Borhas wrote:
fiftyonefifty wrote:For those of you applying for housing in the towers, what size rooms are you guys requesting? I would guess the majority is choosing between a efficiency and a studio.

I got a studio... I may even switch to an efficiency... but probably not. I can't justify the cost of anything bigger.

What is the cost difference between the two?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:28 pm

about $200/month difference between studio and efficiency

more info can be found here:
--LinkRemoved--

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:42 pm

Borhas wrote:about $200/month difference between studio and efficiency

more info can be found here:
--LinkRemoved--

Thanks for the link.

I'm not finding too many pictures of the rooms on the website. Do you have any links to those?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:39 pm

there are some pics on the facebook page and some earlier in this thread

=========

I think I'm going to try to get an off campus apartment/group home

anyone have ideas, or looking for a roommate? Send me a message

maybesheis

Postby maybesheis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:12 am

Borhas wrote:

When/how did you hear from them that you were accepted, and when did you apply for the tower?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:10 am

maybesheis wrote:
Borhas wrote:

When/how did you hear from them that you were accepted, and when did you apply for the tower?

oh I didn't

by "got" I mean "requested on the application"

maybesheis

Postby maybesheis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:30 pm

Borhas wrote:
maybesheis wrote:
Borhas wrote:

oh I didn't

by "got" I mean "requested on the application"

Oh ok! I'm really anxious to hear back, if you couldn't tell. ha. :shock:

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:56 pm

maybesheis wrote:Oh ok! I'm really anxious to hear back, if you couldn't tell. ha. :shock:

actually I just got an email from them, they're giving me until either May 17th or 10 days from today to accept (and pay the money the move in $$) or it will be given to someone else. (kind of confused as to what they actually mean is the dead line)

I'm still trying to find a place to live off campus... this is frustrating

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:07 pm

Borhas wrote:
maybesheis wrote:Oh ok! I'm really anxious to hear back, if you couldn't tell. ha. :shock:

actually I just got an email from them, they're giving me until either May 17th or 10 days from today to accept (and pay the money the move in $$) or it will be given to someone else. (kind of confused as to what they actually mean is the dead line)

Do you remember about when you applied for housing?

Also, just curious why you'd rather live off campus. I've been to the tower once during ASD and it looked like a good option, especially for 1L, but I haven't talked to anyone actually living there...

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:17 pm

I think I applied sometime in the middle of Feb... it was fairly soon after being accepted

I've gotten mixed messages, pretty much an equal number telling that as a general rule it's not a good idea to live in one place that has tons of law students... that living in a place that could be a safe haven from school will be more beneficial for mental health.

I don't know what I'm going to do now... the land lords I've talked to don't want to deal with anyone unless they want to move in 1-2 weeks from the date? That seems kind of weird to me, much quicker than the lease deals I've ever made.

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:13 pm

If I can find a place soon, I for one am living in the East Bay so it motivates me to stay on campus and study instead of going home to play. It's also cheaper and less crowded :)

maybesheis

Postby maybesheis » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:07 pm

Borhas wrote:

I got the email today too! I applied on March 1st.

SpyderWishbone

Postby SpyderWishbone » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:43 pm

Can somebody post the UC hastings facebook website address? I did a serach and came up with numerous false positives. Thanks

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:44 pm

soccersmo

Postby soccersmo » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:52 am

so it looks like i will be throwing my hat in at hastings as well! unless usc magically accepts me off the waitlist... even then it would be a hard decision because id be looking at sticker for usc and that is scary!!!!
i just now put my housing deposit down, i hope i wasnt too late!

ghoti529

Postby ghoti529 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:46 am

Why do we have to send in most recent transcripts again? Do they revoke admission if those grades don't look good? I am taking two poli sci classes Pass/Fail, dropped one class so there is a W, and taking concert choir and wind ensemble for grades. Does that look okay....?

I don't know why I am worried. But please help me out here. :)

Shellbelle

Postby Shellbelle » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:06 pm

withdrawing today. Hope my spot goes to someone who really wants it :)

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:24 pm

ghoti529 wrote:Why do we have to send in most recent transcripts again? Do they revoke admission if those grades don't look good? I am taking two poli sci classes Pass/Fail, dropped one class so there is a W, and taking concert choir and wind ensemble for grades. Does that look okay....?

I don't know why I am worried. But please help me out here. :)

You're fine. Just don't fail. I'm pretty sure they just want official record that you earned your UG degree, which is reasonable.

What's not reasonable is that they make those of us who've been out for years and years submit yet another official, complete transcript, which at least in my case costs more money. Scam.

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:28 pm

I have off campus housing available in West of Twin Peaks area. Furnished studio (move-in condition) with parking; 4 MUNI stops from Hastings. $1100.00 incl. w/d, utilities, wi/fi. NO stove or oven, but dorm sized fridge, microwave, hot plate are provided, Main house has a gourmet kitchen; use negotiable. Pets a possibility. Ample storage space, refurbished full bath with shower (no tub) and new carpeting. ( 5 minutes walk to station, 7 minutes ride, +?? minutes if MUNI breaks down). Bottom story of a three story house with yard, BBQ. and separated locked entrance from driveway. Previous renters include medical students, attorneys, and nurses. May work for you long term, may not; if you're new to SF and want to start school without a hassle, this is a good option as you get to know the City. Month by month is a possibility. Send me a message if interested.

nlmne20

Postby nlmne20 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:15 pm

I'm in and have submitted my deposit. I'm moving from D.C. Does anyone know where I can find pictures of a 1br in the Tower? Scoured teh interwebs for pics, but couldn't find any. The ones on page 56 of this thread don't work any more.

I don't want to put in an application sight unseen. Been out of college for a while and moving to SF with my sig. other and not really looking to move into a rathole.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:20 pm

nlmne20 wrote:I'm in and have submitted my deposit. I'm moving from D.C. Does anyone know where I can find pictures of a 1br in the Tower? Scoured teh interwebs for pics, but couldn't find any. The ones on page 56 of this thread don't work any more.

I don't want to put in an application sight unseen. Been out of college for a while and moving to SF with my sig. other and not really looking to move into a rathole.

Borhas posted some pics of a studio in this thread on pg 59. The efficiencies and studios appear small, but OK for single occupancy. I haven't found any others pics but I do think anything less than 1BR might be too small for 2 occupants. I saw a 2BR during ASD and it was surprisingly nice and spacious (for SF).

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:46 pm

Shellbelle wrote:withdrawing today. Hope my spot goes to someone who really wants it :)

Thank you. :)

I took a tour earlier this week. Loved the school, even with the thick final exam atmosphere. I also heard some promising things about the wait list, so I remain hopeful for some positive news sometime this summer.

I saw a bit of the tower. I don't know if I could justify the cost for the amenities, even with the convenient location.

HobbitCat

Postby HobbitCat » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:52 am

Can someone could help me out on this finaid problem?

I am planning on living at home in the Easy Bay, so I was wondering if I could subtract my estimated living expenses (the $19898 they gave us) from the total cost ($59015) so that I can borrow less loans?

I mean, is the finaid office going to change my package if I send out my award letter response saying I have decided to borrow less and remove my grant and loans because my total cost of attendance has changed?

And is borrowing less loans going to affect my chances of getting grants next year?

Sorry I am new to this stuff, thanks to anyone who's willing to help!

nlmne20

Postby nlmne20 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:33 am

HobbitCat wrote:Can someone could help me out on this finaid problem?

I am planning on living at home in the Easy Bay, so I was wondering if I could subtract my estimated living expenses (the $19898 they gave us) from the total cost ($59015) so that I can borrow less loans?

I mean, is the finaid office going to change my package if I send out my award letter response saying I have decided to borrow less and remove my grant and loans because my total cost of attendance has changed?

And is borrowing less loans going to affect my chances of getting grants next year?

Sorry I am new to this stuff, thanks to anyone who's willing to help!

Hey HobbitCat,

Man, lucky break living rent free for 1L.

There is an option on your award letter to adjust the amounts of any of the loans you have. What you accept shouldn't affect your eligibility in later financial aid cycles, especially if your circumstances change.

I'd follow up with a call to the financial aid office to be sure. I would recommend reducing the amount of the unsubsidized loans first because those are going to end up being the more expensive loans post-graduation. Hope this helps.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”