UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
General Tso

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:46 am

calgal17 wrote:
pamcasso wrote:davis offered me somewhere around 30,000 a year between grants and scholarships, so i'm disappointed that hastings hasnt offered me anything near that (yet, hopefully?). does hastings have significantly less funding than davis or is there some other reason for the significant difference between the offers?

and it probably seems stupid to turn that down from davis, but oh well

I think Davis has more grant funds available because they are part of the UC system in a way that Hastings is not. They have UC grants, university grants, and law school grants and Hastings has only law school grants. That made the difference for me at least in the 2 grant amount discrepancies.

The state legislature is gradually cutting all UC professional schools off of state funding, so I am not sure that "UC status" accounts for the difference. The financial differences between the two schools are going to be because of things like number of students, professor salaries, alumni gifts, etc.

Hopefully Hasting's new parking garage will prove to be a source of new revenue so that more grants can be awarded.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:10 am

swheat wrote:
calgal17 wrote:
pamcasso wrote:davis offered me somewhere around 30,000 a year between grants and scholarships, so i'm disappointed that hastings hasnt offered me anything near that (yet, hopefully?). does hastings have significantly less funding than davis or is there some other reason for the significant difference between the offers?

I think Davis has more grant funds available because they are part of the UC system in a way that Hastings is not. They have UC grants, university grants, and law school grants and Hastings has only law school grants. That made the difference for me at least in the 2 grant amount discrepancies.

The state legislature is gradually cutting all UC professional schools off of state funding, so I am not sure that "UC status" accounts for the difference. The financial differences between the two schools are going to be because of things like number of students, professor salaries, alumni gifts, etc.

Hopefully Hasting's new parking garage will prove to be a source of new revenue so that more grants can be awarded.

Davis Grants Include:
Law School Grant
State UC Grant
U C Grant

I don't think Hastings offers the last 2. It wasn't an insult to Hastings, just something I noticed.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:17 am

calgal17 wrote:
swheat wrote:
calgal17 wrote:

Davis Grants Include:
Law School Grant
State UC Grant
U C Grant

I don't think Hastings offers the last 2. It wasn't an insult to Hastings, just something I noticed.

I, for one, didn't take it to be an insult to Hastings. Also, schools can call grants whatever they want, presumably.

LizBennet

Postby LizBennet » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:37 am

ek319 wrote:Could putting down the deposit hurt scholarship chances?

I do think I have the stats and have received very generous packages from higher ranked (high 20s) schools, but I did already deposit at Hastings so that I could apply for housing... (Having spent 4 years at an undergrad uni that very, very badly lacks housing, I am super-paranoid about getting shafted on that front, haha!) Uh-oh?

Wait, so if we sent in the application for housing (w/ the housing deposit) without sending in the deposit for the school, we haven't really applied for housing yet?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:43 am

LizBennet wrote:

I do think I have the stats and have received very generous packages from higher ranked (high 20s) schools, but I did already deposit at Hastings so that I could apply for housing... (Having spent 4 years at an undergrad uni that very, very badly lacks housing, I am super-paranoid about getting shafted on that front, haha!) Uh-oh?

Wait, so if we sent in the application for housing (w/ the housing deposit) without sending in the deposit for the school, we haven't really applied for housing yet?

I don't think so. I'd think (hope) the two deposits are independent, at least for setting housing priority.

ek319

Postby ek319 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:46 am

drdolittle wrote:
LizBennet wrote:

I don't think so. I'd think (hope) the two deposits are independent, at least for setting housing priority.

Oopsie doopsie--perhaps I should have waited to fork over my $500!

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:03 am

drdolittle wrote:
calgal17 wrote:Davis Grants Include:
Law School Grant
State UC Grant
U C Grant

I, for one, didn't take it to be an insult to Hastings. Also, schools can call grants whatever they want, presumably.

I didn't take it as an insult either, I am just a little confused what you guys are talking about. Are you talking about the law school's funding, or are you talking about the financial aid grants that students receive? If you are saying there are 3 types of financial aid grants at Davis as opposed to only 1 type at Hastings I don't think that matters either, about 70-75% of students at each school receive grants.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:11 am

swheat wrote:
drdolittle wrote:
calgal17 wrote:Davis Grants Include:
Law School Grant
State UC Grant
U C Grant

I didn't take it as an insult either, I am just a little confused what you guys are talking about. Are you talking about the law school's funding, or are you talking about the financial aid grants that students receive? If you are saying there are 3 types of financial aid grants at Davis as opposed to only 1 type at Hastings I don't think that matters either, about 70-75% of students at each school receive grants.

I'm saying at least for me, the law school grant piece was pretty much the same amount for both schools, but Davis ended up being a bigger grant because of the other 2 components in addition, which are both UC grants. Therefore that's why the Davis grant was bigger for me. Maybe I'm saying it in a convoluted way, but I can't see an easier way of explaining it. I wasn't talking about the funding for each law school at all, just student financial aid.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:16 am

calgal17 wrote:I'm saying at least for me, the law school grant piece was pretty much the same amount for both schools, but Davis ended up being a bigger grant because of the other 2 components in addition, which are both UC grants. Therefore that's why the Davis grant was bigger for me. Maybe I'm saying it in a convoluted way, but I can't see an easier way of explaining it. I wasn't talking about the funding for each law school at all, just student financial aid.

Ah okay cool...if it is significantly cheaper I'd probably go to Davis if I were you. Hastings has some advantages but they don't outweigh a cheaper degree (and usually cheaper COL).

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:25 pm

swheat wrote:Ah okay cool...if it is significantly cheaper I'd probably go to Davis if I were you. Hastings has some advantages but they don't outweigh a cheaper degree (and usually cheaper COL).

One of those advantages could be Hastings' PICAP.

Over on the Davis thread I brought up the relative merits of Hastings' PICAP and Davis' LRAP. I've had my interpretation about Davis' LRAP confirmed (and explained in Davis thread, starting on this page). But, given that I'm a lowly WLer at Hastings, or whatever their reasons, they don't seem to care about my concerns/questions.

So ... can any of you Hastings admits/current students help me iron this out?

My reading is that Hastings' PICAP will, starting 2011, dovetail with IBR. Meaning that graduates in qualifying pi/govt employment will pay no more than 30% of their IBR-adjusted loan payment, and that percentage drops every year thereafter: If you make less than $50K, you're totally off the hook after 4-5 years, if you make $50K-$60K you're clear after 5-6, and if you make $60-$69K you're done after 6-7 years (well, still lots of paperwork to do until IBR wipes everything out in year 10, but no more payments!).

Is this accurate? And ... anybody know if qualified PICAP applicants get turned away for lack of funds??

Any help is appreciated. The difference between Hastings and Davis on this issue could mean a difference of $50,000 or more over 10 years, assuming all in PI/govt work -- which is the plan for me.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:56 pm

Is this accurate? And ... anybody know if qualified PICAP applicants get turned away for lack of funds??

Financial Aid rep at ASD said that's never happened before

and yeah Hastings awesome (on paper and as far as I can tell) LRAP is one of the main benefits of the school IMO

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:12 pm

Borhas wrote:

Financial Aid rep at ASD said that's never happened before

and yeah Hastings awesome (on paper and as far as I can tell) LRAP is one of the main benefits of the school IMO

I don't think you get turned away, but I have heard that b/c the PICAP (like some other LRAPs) is dependent on the amount of funds, the $$ amount of loan forgiveness can get rationed to accommodate everyone.

They would know about that better than I, of course.

ek319

Postby ek319 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:39 pm

Any idea how long it takes to hear back from the housing office after applying for the tower?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:50 pm

ek319 wrote:Any idea how long it takes to hear back from the housing office after applying for the tower?

Last I heard room assignments will be made end of April to early May.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:51 pm

drdolittle wrote:
ek319 wrote:Any idea how long it takes to hear back from the housing office after applying for the tower?

If you didnt apply for Tower housing yet, is it pretty much impossible to get a room now?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:55 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:If you didnt apply for Tower housing yet, is it pretty much impossible to get a room now?

Don't know, just call them up to ask.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Ill be visiting on Monday, so I'll see what they say then.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:57 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

If you didnt apply for Tower housing yet, is it pretty much impossible to get a room now?

I think I remember someone saying they've heard of people off the wait list who are still able to snag tower housing, so it seems like it might still be possible. As is obvious, you should just get your name down now and hope for the best.

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:23 pm

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but what do people think of Hastings 2009 employment statistics?

--LinkRemoved--

It appears that about 1/3 to 1/2 of the class reported. The average private sector salary was $135k.

Does anyone have a clue about what the median private sector salary was, including most/all of the remainder of the class? If not, what would you estimate it was (be reasonable)?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:37 pm

sophistry wrote:Sorry if this has already been discussed, but what do people think of Hastings 2009 employment statistics?

--LinkRemoved--

It appears that about 1/3 to 1/2 of the class reported. The average private sector salary was $135k.

Does anyone have a clue about what the median private sector salary was, including most/all of the remainder of the class? If not, what would you estimate it was (be reasonable)?

My guess is that only about 25% (at most...ITE it might be 15%) of the class is making 135k+. I would estimate the median at around 70-75k for private sector firms, where about 65% of Hastings students work. There is probably a pretty big range though...there are probably more than a handful making 80-90k.

It looks like the salary responses are way down from last year. I expect that means that salaries are way down from last year. Again, these are only my guesses, and keep in mind that this downward trend is true at almost all law schools in CA. At least Hastings is being honest about it. The same cannot be said of a few other CA schools (*cough Davis * cough Chapman). To be fair though those 2 schools reported 2008 stats to USNWR...it'll be interesting to see what they say in next year's USNWR.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:46 am

Is the Hastings Grant (around $10K) as typical as the financial aid office suggests online and on that yellow/green insert they mailed & passed out on ASD?

I recently got my financial aid award from Hastings and I got no grants, just loans. I was definitely expecting the Hastings Grant though based on prior info.

a male human

Postby a male human » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:20 am

drdolittle wrote:Is the Hastings Grant (around $10K) as typical as the financial aid office suggests online and on that yellow/green insert they mailed & passed out on ASD?

I recently got my financial aid award from Hastings and I got no grants, just loans. I was definitely expecting the Hastings Grant though based on prior info.

I thought I had a good chance for a grant as well. Got a big fat $0 because I shouldn't have saved up for my future.

fiftyonefifty

Postby fiftyonefifty » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:15 pm

For those of you applying for housing in the towers, what size rooms are you guys requesting? I would guess the majority is choosing between a efficiency and a studio.

things fall apart

Postby things fall apart » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:40 am

I went complete something like 2/20...still have not heard anything.

What/when should I expect?

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:17 am

things fall apart wrote:I went complete something like 2/20...still have not heard anything.

What/when should I expect?

I might send a polite email if I were you. But to be honest, Hastings hasn't accepted anyone in a while, from what I can tell. I would think you're looking at a wait list or ding.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”