UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cice729

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby cice729 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:27 pm

Re: Waitlist - I was notified by email at the end of February. Ouf, this waiting is terrible! Hastings is my tip top choice, as it has a specific abroad program I am just pining after.

I also haven't heard from Davis, and it's been about 5 months. What's up with that? :?
Last edited by cice729 on Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:28 pm

swheat wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:Anybody have info on the recent job placement? Salary info for last year's class for those graduating in the middle? The outlook for the coming years? Any and all info is appreciated, b/c I couldn't attend the ASD and ask these types of questions (I have visited Hastings, however) and I'm still debating where to go. I WAS 100% Hastings for years (and I've been admitted), but now I'm starting to lean Davis for a variety of reasons (and no, the new rankings have nothing to do with it).

Talked to a 3L on BART today...he said OCI was tough last year, a lot of people got summer offers but not many permanent offers. He estimated that about half of the 3Ls he knows have something permanent lined up as of today. Sounds like things haven't changed much from last year.

What are your reasons for favoring Davis? Location? I wouldn't put much stock in their employment statistics...there is something majorly fishy going on with those.

Trust me, I don't buy their "97%" placement and I understand why your upset with the new rankings. I'm leaning Davis for a few reasons: they offered me a bigger grant (just $1,500 per year, but still Hastings hasn't matched yet) and I've estimated that my COL would be about $20,000 cheaper, too. Also, though I don't buy their employment numbers, I can see them being better than Hastings simply because they have roughly half the people to place. Also, when I visited I was shocked by how cool the town was.

Now all of that being said, I love San Francisco more than life itself. I've also wanted to attend Hastings since forever (For real. Berkeley or Stanford were never even my dream schools, Hastings was until I came to this site and realized how awful the economy was. No lies). However, the state of the economy has thrown a wrench in my plans. I'm now going to scrape to save every penny possible and I'm more worried about job proscets than location (though Davis and Hastings place the same percentage in SF anyway). I would love to live in SF now, though. I don't even mind the Tenderloin (albeit my undergrad was in the "real" ghetto in North Philadelphia, so even the Tenderloin is nice by comparison.) If the money were a litle more equal and if Hastings job prospects were better, I'd still go Hastings. No doubt. Do you have any idea what the average salary was for a Hastings grad last year? Or what the propects are for someone graduating at median? I know in a thread earlier this year, someone noted that their friend or something graduated around median last year and was working in Walnut Creek for $80k. I could honestly live with that and be fine, but I'm scared that even those gigs are hard to get now :(

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:31 pm

Definitely an interesting area. Probably around 9pm I was walking up Market back to Hastings from Embarcadero (I think) through the sketchy couple blocks before the tower when this dude came up the the guy I was walking with and asked him if he needed women. When my friend said no the guy turned to me and asked me if I needed a job haha if it wasn't hilarious it'd be totally creepy.[/quote]

As someone who went to undergrad in North Philadelphia, and who has lived all over Philly, I actually love this kind of thing, seriously. It makes life interesting. I've been robbed a few times(seriously), but I've never been hurt and I love urban settings! Can't get much more urban than North Philly or the Tenderloin! I could survive in Davis, though.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:33 pm

To the current Hastings students in this thread: What are your thoughts about Hastings job prospects ITE and in the near future (class of 2013 specifcally)?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:36 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:Trust me, I don't buy their "97%" placement and I understand why your upset with the new rankings. I'm leaning Davis for a few reasons: they offered me a bigger grant (just $1,500 per year, but still Hastings hasn't matched yet) and I've estimated that my COL would be about $20,000 cheaper, too. Also, though I don't buy their employment numbers, I can see them being better than Hastings simply because they have roughly half the people to place. Also, when I visited I was shocked by how cool the town was.

Now all of that being said, I love San Francisco more than life itself. I've also wanted to attend Hastings since forever (For real. Berkeley or Stanford were never even my dream schools, Hastings was until I came to this site and realized how awful the economy was. No lies). However, the state of the economy has thrown a wrench in my plans. I'm now going to scrape to save every penny possible and I'm more worried about job proscets than location (though Davis and Hastings place the same percentage in SF anyway). I would love to live in SF now, though. I don't even mind the Tenderloin (albeit my undergrad was in the "real" ghetto in North Philadelphia, so even the Tenderloin is nice by comparison.) If the money were a litle more equal and if Hastings job prospects were better, I'd still go Hastings. No doubt. Do you have any idea what the average salary was for a Hastings grad last year? Or what the propects are for someone graduating at median? I know in a thread earlier this year, someone noted that their friend or something graduated around median last year and was working in Walnut Creek for $80k. I could honestly live with that and be fine, but I'm scared that even those gigs are hard to get now :(

Hah - that was me :) I met a 2008 grad on Facebook. He had good connections through a city attorney's office and landed an 80k gig at a midlaw firm in Wlnt Crk despite being bottom 1/4 of the class. I think 70-80k is probably a reasonable expectation even now for a top-half Hastings grad.

You don't have to live in SF. I live in the East Bay with roommates...my rent + BART comes to around $675/mo.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:45 pm

swheat wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:Trust me, I don't buy their "97%" placement and I understand why your upset with the new rankings. I'm leaning Davis for a few reasons: they offered me a bigger grant (just $1,500 per year, but still Hastings hasn't matched yet) and I've estimated that my COL would be about $20,000 cheaper, too. Also, though I don't buy their employment numbers, I can see them being better than Hastings simply because they have roughly half the people to place. Also, when I visited I was shocked by how cool the town was.

Hah - that was me :) I met a 2008 grad on Facebook. He had good connections through a city attorney's office and landed an 80k gig at a midlaw firm in Wlnt Crk despite being bottom 1/4 of the class. I think 70-80k is probably a reasonable expectation even now for a top-half Hastings grad.

You don't have to live in SF. I live in the East Bay with roommates...my rent + BART comes to around $675/mo.

Hahaha! Well unfortunately I don't have any connections. Do you have anymore anecdotes on Hastings grads who don't have connections, but who still manage to make $80k per year? :)
I actually like the East Bay and that is definitely something to think about. However, I'm not big on public transportation and I don't have a car. I'm a bike commuter here in Philly and would like to live in SF so I could ride to school. It really is a great way to start and finish the day. Davis' bike friendliness is another plus.

That being said, I still want to make Hastings work. I mean, how many people get to attend their dream school? If I were to turn Hastings down, then I think I'd be bitter (hell, this economy has already made me bitter as hell). But if I attend Hastings, graduate with a lot of debt, and do shitlaw then I'll be even more bitter. I can't win really. :(

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:48 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:That being said, I still want to make Hastings work. I mean, how many people get to attend their dream school? If I were to turn Hastings down, then I think I'd be bitter (hell, this economy has already made me bitter as hell). But if I attend Hastings, graduate with a lot of debt, and do shitlaw then I'll be even more bitter. I can't win really. :(

So what's the difference in cost between Davis and Hastings for you? about 25K for 3 years?

The financial aid rep at ASD said new scholarship money will be sent after May 1st. Try writing them on May 1st and explain your dilemma.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:52 pm

Borhas wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:Anybody have info on the recent job placement? Salary info for last year's class for those graduating in the middle? The outlook for the coming years? Any and all info is appreciated, b/c I couldn't attend the ASD and ask these types of questions (I have visited Hastings, however) and I'm still debating where to go. I WAS 100% Hastings for years (and I've been admitted), but now I'm starting to lean Davis for a variety of reasons (and no, the new rankings have nothing to do with it).

NLJ 250 (2009) + Clerkship % (2008)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=108528

42. UC-Hastings 19.6
46. UC-Davis 17.6

Vault 25 placement (2006)
http://lawfirmaddict.blogspot.com/2006/ ... ement.html

Hastings 3.8%
Davis 2.1%

PI+Government (2005?)
http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414empl ... trends.pdf

Hastings about 16%
Davis about 17%

unemployed (2005?)
http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414empl ... trends.pdf

Hastings: about 8%
Davis: about 11%
conclusions? Pretty much identical
you can compare their #'s to other schools if you wish, just follow the links above

Thanks for the links! I just wish I knew what things will be like in 2013 :|

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:52 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:
swheat wrote:Hah - that was me :) I met a 2008 grad on Facebook. He had good connections through a city attorney's office and landed an 80k gig at a midlaw firm in Wlnt Crk despite being bottom 1/4 of the class. I think 70-80k is probably a reasonable expectation even now for a top-half Hastings grad.

Hahaha! Well unfortunately I don't have any connections. Do you have anymore anecdotes on Hastings grads who don't have connections, but who still manage to make $80k per year? :)
I actually like the East Bay and that is definitely something to think about. However, I'm not big on public transportation and I don't have a car. I'm a bike commuter here in Philly and would like to live in SF so I could ride to school. It really is a great way to start and finish the day. Davis' bike friendliness is another plus.

That being said, I still want to make Hastings work. I mean, how many people get to attend their dream school? If I were to turn Hastings down, then I think I'd be bitter (hell, this economy has already made me bitter as hell). But if I attend Hastings, graduate with a lot of debt, and do shitlaw then I'll be even more bitter. I can't win really. :(

It's not about having prior connections. This guy got a summer job at the city attorney office, met a lot of people, got some experience, and landed that midlaw job as a result. IIRC he got to do some litigation while still a student, which is something this firm was looking for.

You can bike to the BART station and either leave your bike parked there (some of them have full lockers you can lock your bike inside for like 50 cents per day or something), or you can continue with your bike all the way to Hastings (where they have a secure area for storing bikes). I think officially BART doesn't allow bikes during the morning and evening rush hours, but I have seen many people with bikes at that time.

I don't think a "40-50k shitlaw" job out of Hastings is a likely result. My understanding is that most of the shitlaw firms in the Bay Area pay more than that...more like 55-65k. If you failed to make this amount, the reasonable thing to do would be to take a public interest position that pays between 35-50k. At least then you would be covered by PICAP (hastings LRAP).

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:56 pm

Borhas wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:That being said, I still want to make Hastings work. I mean, how many people get to attend their dream school? If I were to turn Hastings down, then I think I'd be bitter (hell, this economy has already made me bitter as hell). But if I attend Hastings, graduate with a lot of debt, and do shitlaw then I'll be even more bitter. I can't win really. :(

So what's the difference in cost between Davis and Hastings for you? about 25K for 3 years?

The financial aid rep at ASD said new scholarship money will be sent after May 1st. Try writing them on May 1st and explain your dilemma.

Really??? I wrote them (and called) and did explain, but all they said was that if money became available then they would take my request into consideration. I still haven't heard anything, but if what you say is true, then the May 1st deadline makes some sense (they never mentioned May 1st to me). Did they say how quickly after May 1st? Did you, too, ask for more money and did they hint at how often they dole out more money? Anyway, this is very exciitng news for me! I asked for more money a while ago and haven't heard anything, but if what you say is true then hope is not lost!!!

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:57 pm

Borhas wrote:

Really??? I wrote them (and called) and did explain, but all they said was that if money became available then they would take my request into consideration. I still haven't heard anything, but if what you say is true, then the May 1st deadline makes some sense (they never mentioned May 1st to me). Did they say how quickly after May 1st? Did you, too, ask for more money and did they hint at how often they dole out more money? Anyway, this is very exciitng news for me! I asked for more money a while ago and haven't heard anything, but if what you say is true then hope is not lost!!!

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:08 pm

Oh man, I don't think I'd be happy with 80k out of Hastings. My housemate in college is working for Microsoft with a bachelor's, and he's making 80k + bonuses + stock options + who knows what el$e.

gfg12

Postby gfg12 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:09 pm

Hastings, I want you so bad. You are my top top choice. I would be so willing to eat my deposit to come live in the Tenderloin for 3 years. I love living in SF and want to stay forever. Pretty please with sugar on top, let me in!

But seriously, I went complete in mid December and still nothing.

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:29 pm

I won't speak to job prospects at either Hastings or Davis (there are enough of you on this website to provide, and dispute, all relevant stats).

But, being an undergrad at UCD, I can say that while it is a quieter town, it is no cow-infested wasteland. It is smack in the middle of agricultural life (UC Davis "Aggies" mascot), but it is a progressive, student-friendly, bike-centric area, with moms, kids, community, etc... No major clubs activity, but for many of us that is the least important part of our education. Plenty of cafes, cheap-eats, and SF an 80 minute drive away for weekend retreats.
Also, King Hall does seem to have a strong sense of tight-knit community about the law school itself. The campus is surprisingly ordinary outside, but easy and pleasant inside (I sit in on symposia/lectures on occasion). People all seem to know each other. Small classes + very well regarded professors (Prof. Amar wrote the Con. Law casebook that 1Ls study in his class), and strong clinical/public interest tradition makes the quality of life quotient go way up.

That said, like the former Philly resident said, the constant goings-on of the Tenderloin are not like you walked into warfare zone. There are occasional muggings, I hear. But for the most part it's unsavory at worst. For many, the most difficult part is going through the psychological process of having to face this, the most depressing aspect of a capitalist society, head-on, day in and day out. It's hard to deal with the absurdly high level of homelessness alone, but it's not impossible. it just means you get "educated." So, for those looking at the quality of life negatives of each place, I'm here to say that those negatives are not as severe as you might think, and not major drags on an otherwise appealing ticket.

EDIT: I know this outside the thread's scope, but someone raised it last page, so I thought I'd finish the thought.

stonepeep

Postby stonepeep » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:32 pm

scgoaliface32 wrote:All the current 1Ls I met were super nice and said they were really happy with their choice to go there, and not just the ones who were running tours that day and getting paid to say so.

We didn't get paid, silly. All of the students you saw during the ASD were volunteers.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:34 pm

stonepeep wrote:
scgoaliface32 wrote:All the current 1Ls I met were super nice and said they were really happy with their choice to go there, and not just the ones who were running tours that day and getting paid to say so.

We didn't get paid, silly. All of the students you saw during the ASD were volunteers.

Yeah, I think this was even mentioned while introducing the tour guides.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:37 pm

a male human wrote:Oh man, I don't think I'd be happy with 80k out of Hastings. My housemate in college is working for Microsoft with a bachelor's, and he's making 80k + bonuses + stock options + who knows what el$e.

True, but these kinds of jobs are not easily had. Your friend is more of an outlier than what is typical for the average BA/BS holder. My g/f is an electrical engineer, and so far she has been shut out of the Silicon Valley tech companies in part because they do all of their hiring at local schools, above all else Berkeley and Stanford. They have something like "OCI" only for engineers.

Also it's common for these places to hire from their internship programs. A former TLS poster got one of these at HP...they hired 2 people out of about 500 applicants.

scgoaliface32

Postby scgoaliface32 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:41 pm

drdolittle wrote:
stonepeep wrote:

Yeah, I think this was even mentioned while introducing the tour guides.

Ah, lo siento stonepeep and other ASD volunteers! I kept hearing "working" thrown around that day in reference to current students who were helping out and I guess it just stuck in my head. Thanks for giving us time out of your day then!

pekkle

Postby pekkle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Aye - thanks for taking time out from your studies (esp prepping for finals) to hang out with us admitted prospects. I'm still torn ... I live in the south bay and don't really want to move into the city, but the commute up the peninsula is not nearly as convenient as it is from the East Bay (requires a transfer from CalTrain to BART).

Many of the relaxed-looking students I'd met seemed to have summer jobs lined up (one had a good IP summer associateship even); my tour guide looked really frazzled (1L) in prepping for her final exams ...

What do students think about the new dean coming in?

pamcasso

Postby pamcasso » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:01 am

sent in my deposit today! love the weight lifted of officially deciding

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:56 pm

pamcasso wrote:sent in my deposit today! love the weight lifted of officially deciding

'grats Pam!

BoomBoom1986 wrote:

yes really, though I'm not one to believe law school representatives that's definitely what he said

I will follow my own advice, I don't think I have scholly #'s and since I already laid down my seat deposit I doubt I could make a great case but we'll see....

ek319

Postby ek319 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:25 pm

Could putting down the deposit hurt scholarship chances?

I do think I have the stats and have received very generous packages from higher ranked (high 20s) schools, but I did already deposit at Hastings so that I could apply for housing... (Having spent 4 years at an undergrad uni that very, very badly lacks housing, I am super-paranoid about getting shafted on that front, haha!) Uh-oh?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:29 pm

ek319 wrote:Could putting down the deposit hurt scholarship chances?

I do think I have the stats and have received very generous packages from higher ranked (high 20s) schools, but I did already deposit at Hastings so that I could apply for housing... (Having spent 4 years at an undergrad uni that very, very badly lacks housing, I am super-paranoid about getting shafted on that front, haha!) Uh-oh?

it probably could for the first round (which is already over) but since the new round of scholarships would be after May 1, then they would obviously expect people to have their deposits in by then... what with the deadline and everything...

who knows :|

pamcasso

Postby pamcasso » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:33 pm

davis offered me somewhere around 30,000 a year between grants and scholarships, so i'm disappointed that hastings hasnt offered me anything near that (yet, hopefully?). does hastings have significantly less funding than davis or is there some other reason for the significant difference between the offers?

and it probably seems stupid to turn that down from davis, but oh well

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:39 am

pamcasso wrote:davis offered me somewhere around 30,000 a year between grants and scholarships, so i'm disappointed that hastings hasnt offered me anything near that (yet, hopefully?). does hastings have significantly less funding than davis or is there some other reason for the significant difference between the offers?

and it probably seems stupid to turn that down from davis, but oh well

I think Davis has more grant funds available because they are part of the UC system in a way that Hastings is not. They have UC grants, university grants, and law school grants and Hastings has only law school grants. That made the difference for me at least in the 2 grant amount discrepancies.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”