UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
a male human

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby a male human » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:08 pm

Thankfully Davis's class isn't as big, so there won't be too much competition from there, at least.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:09 pm

a male human wrote:I felt the Hastings one was more effective in showing me its strengths...

I took an individual visit to Hastings and went to ASDavis last week. It's an apples-to-oranges thing, but I got the same feeling as you.

I kind of felt Davis' ASD was geared toward people who hadn't done a lick of homework about law school in general and Davis in particular (e.g., spending valuable time explaining to us that we'd be taking a pre-determined slate of courses our first year ... or -- oooh! -- when Career Session panelists mentioned OCI, much of the room basically went blank ... panelists/moderator had to explain). However, I assume this is probably the case at all ASDs.

Hastings was better at selling itself, and all I had there was a tour from two hyper-caffeinated students, a 1-hour class visit and a 5-minute chat w/career services honcho. Now if they'll just take me of the WL.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:13 pm

ozarkhack wrote:Now if they'll just take me of the WL.

So you'd go there over Davis I assume?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:18 pm

ozarkhack wrote:... or -- oooh! -- when Career Session panelists mentioned OCI, much of the room basically went blank ... panelists/moderator had to explain). However, I assume this is probably the case at all ASDs.

BTW, in the same session, did you catch that comment about the south by one of the panelists? She said something to the effect that it's pretty bad down there...If you're really from the Ozarks or thereabouts, welcome.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:28 pm

drdolittle wrote:

I don't know. I think so. It'd be tough. I mean, SO and I really really want to live in SF. But I also really really don't want to join an incoming class of 375-425 students and feel like just another insignificant moving part (we all are this, of course; it's just nice to keep up the charade sometimes).

The schools are the same in terms of education and (at least until today's info, it seems) job prospects. It's all a QOL thing.

I have this vision, however well-founded, of Hastings being the worst kind of Rat Race while Davis is a kind of law-school LaLa Land, all rainbows and ponies. Then again ... I'm not fresh out of UG and don't need all the UG trappings and/or small-class attention. And I can really appreciate living in a proper city (that is, the bestest, most beautiful in the country) as opposed to a college town or, double-gulp, Sacramento.

UUUGGHGH.

In a twisted way, I almost hope Hastings doesn't call me. That way I won't have to decide. ... I employed this same Wish Tactic with the U of Washington, which then soon rejected me outright.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:30 pm

drdolittle wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:... or -- oooh! -- when Career Session panelists mentioned OCI, much of the room basically went blank ... panelists/moderator had to explain). However, I assume this is probably the case at all ASDs.

BTW, in the same session, did you catch that comment about the south by one of the panelists? She said something to the effect that it's pretty bad down there...If you're really from the Ozarks or thereabouts, welcome.

Yeah. I always get immediately defensive about such. Then I remember ... well, it's kind of true.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:02 pm

ozarkhack wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

I don't know. I think so. It'd be tough. I mean, SO and I really really want to live in SF. But I also really really don't want to join an incoming class of 375-425 students and feel like just another insignificant moving part (we all are this, of course; it's just nice to keep up the charade sometimes).

The schools are the same in terms of education and (at least until today's info, it seems) job prospects. It's all a QOL thing.

I have this vision, however well-founded, of Hastings being the worst kind of Rat Race while Davis is a kind of law-school LaLa Land, all rainbows and ponies. Then again ... I'm not fresh out of UG and don't need all the UG trappings and/or small-class attention. And I can really appreciate living in a proper city (that is, the bestest, most beautiful in the country) as opposed to a college town or, double-gulp, Sacramento.

UUUGGHGH.

In a twisted way, I almost hope Hastings doesn't call me. That way I won't have to decide. ... I employed this same Wish Tactic with the U of Washington, which then soon rejected me outright.

I've thought about this quite a bit and even before the Davis ASD, I came to the conclusion that the public image of these schools is somewhat out of whack. From reading TLS and being in touch with current Hastings students, the sense of competition there is way overblown probably thanks to Ken's brief description of the school on TLS from 2005. His post immediately drew criticism from actual Hastings students/alumni.

And it's not like Davis is Yale or Stanford either, where students can expect great jobs despite their rank. As one of the student panelists honestly expressed during that info session on ASD, grades and class rank are everything for Davis OCI. And there will be plenty of good students at Davis vying for high grades during 1L, so I just don't fully buy the laid back image. Of course living in Davis is much more peaceful than SF, so maybe that's the issue.

I think Davis' environment is fantastic for recent undergrads and/or for those who very much want to be part of a larger university, it's somewhat of a sheltered environment. But for its proximity to the types of jobs I'm interested in, I'll probably pick Hastings. Even if it's actually more competitive, I view that as a good thing because it should make me better prepared for a very competitive job market.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:08 pm

drdolittle wrote:
And it's not like Davis is Yale or Stanford either, where students can expect great jobs despite their rank.

On the contrary, Davis' amazing 97.3% employment rate (if you can believe it) is HIGHER than Boalt and is right on Stanford's heels.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:11 pm

swheat wrote:On the contrary, Davis' amazing 97.3% employment rate (if you can believe it) is HIGHER than Boalt and is right on Stanford's heels.

LOL. Boalt's totally screwed.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:14 pm

ozarkhack wrote:
a male human wrote:I felt the Hastings one was more effective in showing me its strengths...

I took an individual visit to Hastings and went to ASDavis last week. It's an apples-to-oranges thing, but I got the same feeling as you.

I kind of felt Davis' ASD was geared toward people who hadn't done a lick of homework about law school in general and Davis in particular (e.g., spending valuable time explaining to us that we'd be taking a pre-determined slate of courses our first year ... or -- oooh! -- when Career Session panelists mentioned OCI, much of the room basically went blank ... panelists/moderator had to explain). However, I assume this is probably the case at all ASDs.

Hastings was better at selling itself, and all I had there was a tour from two hyper-caffeinated students, a 1-hour class visit and a 5-minute chat w/career services honcho. Now if they'll just take me of the WL.

I was also pretty shocked that a lot of people didn't know what OCI was. I think you'd of enjoyed a tour by students over ASD anyday. This is because, on TLS, we are OCD about knowing anything/everything about law school. 1L students are going to talk like 1L's. They more than likely will talk as they do with their classmates and think you understand them (which is possible if you lurk TLS enough). ASD is more of the basics, what <insert school here> has to offer, what life is like, what you'll be doing the first year, etc.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:48 pm

swheat wrote:
J Burrito wrote:Looks like my chances of getting off the waitlist have improved... I'm pretty happy with Davis acceptance at this point, though. :wink:

Case in point. Show me one person who is on the WL at Davis who is in at Hastings. You won't find one!

me brother, I did withdraw a while back from their WL though

I would be interested to know how they get such a high employment rate at graduation though. A while back I posted a lighthearted video some Davis students made about life at Davis. One of the things they poke fun at was a girl switching her wardrobe and changing into a librarian once she struck out at OCI... maybe it's a real phenomenon there?

--LinkRemoved--
12:15 mark

greatkingrat78

Postby greatkingrat78 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:18 pm

Borhas wrote:
gobears09 wrote:Oh I actually did get a grant the other day... Is there a deadline to agree to this financial aid packet?

nope, just scholarships

Are you positive there is no deadline? I called and emailed the financial aid department and received two different answers: the dude on the phone told me I had to accept the financial aid package at least three weeks after the 5/1 deposit deadline. Then, today, I received a response to my email: they said I had three weeks from when I received my financial aid email packet (which is Friday). Freaking out.

There's no way they can require you to accept the financial aid package BEFORE you decide to attend (5/1)...right? Think they'd actually take away my grant if I don't accept the financial aid package by Friday? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Shellbelle

Postby Shellbelle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:17 pm

greatkingrat78 wrote:
Borhas wrote:
gobears09 wrote:Oh I actually did get a grant the other day... Is there a deadline to agree to this financial aid packet?

nope, just scholarships

Are you positive there is no deadline? I called and emailed the financial aid department and received two different answers: the dude on the phone told me I had to accept the financial aid package at least three weeks after the 5/1 deposit deadline. Then, today, I received a response to my email: they said I had three weeks from when I received my financial aid email packet (which is Friday). Freaking out.

There's no way they can require you to accept the financial aid package BEFORE you decide to attend (5/1)...right? Think they'd actually take away my grant if I don't accept the financial aid package by Friday? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I just called and the deadline is def. tomorrow for those of us who got it 3/26

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:22 pm

Shellbelle wrote:
greatkingrat78 wrote:
Borhas wrote:

nope, just scholarships

This does not make much sense, but then again, I've found the Hastings financial aid office to be quite frustrating and unfortunately a stupid policy like this might make sense to them. I've emailed them about a notice on my offer, they never responded. When I emailed again a week later, I got a one sentence reply that did not answer my question. WTF?!

tgbyhnasdf

Postby tgbyhnasdf » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Shellbelle wrote:
greatkingrat78 wrote:
Borhas wrote:

nope, just scholarships

Is there any way to see where this alleged three week deadline is stipulated in writing? I feel like they're just telling that to people who call so they can allot more grants to the wobblers. No school wants a bunch of undecided students all the way up to the deadline...

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:34 pm

tgbyhnasdf wrote:Is there any way to see where this alleged three week deadline is stipulated in writing? I feel like they're just telling that to people who call so they can allot more grants to the wobblers. No school wants a bunch of undecided students all the way up to the deadline...

Would not be surprised if this were the case.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:36 pm

Not sure about Hastings, specifically. But, from a lot of other schools that I've been accepted to, there is usually a deadline to accept the financial aid package before officially returning your seat deposit and committing.

You can still back out later, but they have to get the ball rolling, so to speak, on the financial aid front.

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:38 pm

When I called, the person said to turn it in ASAP. So I asked if end of April was OK, and she said yeah! I guess it's a good thing I turned it in last weekend.

tgbyhnasdf

Postby tgbyhnasdf » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:40 pm

--LinkRemoved--

Nothing on that page or any of the links to its left indicate an April deadline. I also received an email from them five days ago:
"Recently you received an email from the UC Hastings College of the Law's Financial Aid Office presenting your Electronic Award Leter. We have not yet received notice that you have submitted this. Please take the time to click on the link included below to access your Electronic Award and submit it. Thank you."

Looks like by June 14 it is...?

Shellbelle

Postby Shellbelle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:13 pm

Is there any way to see where this alleged three week deadline is stipulated in writing? I feel like they're just telling that to people who call so they can allot more grants to the wobblers. No school wants a bunch of undecided students all the way up to the deadline...

It is. Atleast on mine It's on the actual Financial Aid Award Letter under the instructions. Third ** (Submit your response by clicking the Submit button at the bottom of the award letter *within three weeks of the date on this letter*.

LizBennet

Postby LizBennet » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Shellbelle wrote:

It is. Atleast on mine It's on the actual Financial Aid Award Letter under the instructions. Third ** (Submit your response by clicking the Submit button at the bottom of the award letter *within three weeks of the date on this letter*.

So what happens if we accept the financial aid award and then don't decide to enroll? Or, if we enroll, and then get off a waitlist somewhere else and decide to go there. What do we do then?

pamcasso

Postby pamcasso » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:06 pm

Shellbelle wrote:
greatkingrat78 wrote:
Borhas wrote:

nope, just scholarships

i emailed yesterday and they responded that there was no date but encouraged me to accept it sooner rather than later

Shellbelle

Postby Shellbelle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:11 pm

LizBennet wrote:
Shellbelle wrote:

So what happens if we accept the financial aid award and then don't decide to enroll? Or, if we enroll, and then get off a waitlist somewhere else and decide to go there. What do we do then?

I asked about this and she just said we have to decline it in writing. She didn't mention anything about a fee, nor do I see anything in the paperwork...but I wouldn't be shocked if there was one lurking. Just a thought.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:20 pm

greatkingrat78 wrote:
Borhas wrote:

nope, just scholarships

sorry about being wrong, I looked and I couldn't find anything on my first look through

ek319

Postby ek319 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:33 pm

On an unrelated note...

Has anyone had a chance to peek inside the tower apartments? Are the studios & efficiencies tiny? Would that extra 100 sq. ft. of space (and couple hundred $ in monthly rent, haha) in the studio make it that much more live-able than the efficiency?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”