UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Borhas

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Borhas » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:45 pm

so who else is going to April 17 ASD?

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:10 pm

Do they only send acceptances via email? I read some people referring to letters.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:13 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:Do they only send acceptances via email? I read some people referring to letters.

I only got a letter, no email. But I think some might have received an email only or email first before a letter.

Shellbelle

Postby Shellbelle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:45 pm

Borhas wrote:so who else is going to April 17 ASD?

I'm going.

Anybody get more detailed info other than the invite email? Just curious.

squirtle

Postby squirtle » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:53 pm

going to ASD next week

i emailed them about it and they said that they would provide more info/agenda when we get there

SôngHươngNúiNgự

Postby SôngHươngNúiNgự » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:38 pm

Ím curious. What happens when you submit your deposit to Hastings? Do you get access to an online account or email right away?

a male human

Postby a male human » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:20 pm

SôngHươngNúiNgự wrote:Ím curious. What happens when you submit your deposit to Hastings? Do you get access to an online account or email right away?

They collect the deposits and offer grants to people who blew their savings on alcohol

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:27 pm

Withdrew - good luck to those still waiting!

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:43 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:Do they only send acceptances via email? I read some people referring to letters.

Later in the admissions cycle they started sending notices via email, perhaps to get the word to admitted students sooner. Earlier in the cycle, it was all letters.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:45 pm

missinglink wrote:

Later in the admissions cycle they started sending notices via email, perhaps to get the word to admitted students sooner. Earlier in the cycle, it was all letters.

it will be 6 months for me, since i've went complete in 1 more week...

hastings if you're going to reject me, please do it already. :|

RickyMack

Postby RickyMack » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:25 pm

got my ding today! snail mail, was expecting as much so i'm not too bummed out.

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:48 am

I leave tomorrow for the Bay Area and attend a class on Thursday am. Then there's an event for the Health Law Consortium on Thursday night followed by ASD on Saturday. Should be a telling time. Maybe I'll meet real people with real names.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:46 pm

For those who've attended an earlier Hastings ASD, what did you think? How useful was it for making a decision? BTW, I'm familiar with Hastings' location in SF, so that won't be news to me.

I recently went to the Davis ASD and it didn't really affect my decision either way, it was exactly what I expected. I haven't bothered to go to any other ASDs.

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:11 pm

drdolittle wrote:For those who've attended an earlier Hastings ASD, what did you think? How useful was it for making a decision? BTW, I'm familiar with Hastings' location in SF, so that won't be news to me.

I recently went to the Davis ASD and it didn't really affect my decision either way, it was exactly what I expected. I haven't bothered to go to any other ASDs.

I went to the first Hastings ASD and the Davis one on 4/10. I felt the Hastings one was more effective in showing me its strengths, but maybe that's because I went to the sessions that were more important and interesting to me at Hastings.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:13 pm

Anybody going to ditch Hastings now that USNWR is out? I am having a bit of (probably unjustified) buyer's remorse today.

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:20 pm

swheat wrote:Anybody going to ditch Hastings now that USNWR is out? I am having a bit of (probably unjustified) buyer's remorse today.

Dude, are you serious? Wasn't Davis like #44 a few years ago? As I've posted under Davis, during their recent ASD they were calling themselves a top 20-25 LS. This, and some of the other comments there led me to believe that they are really focused on rankings, which probably means pandering a bit to the US News methodology. I have no problem with it, but the more telling thing will be the real effect this has on Davis grads' job prospects.

squirtle

Postby squirtle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:22 pm

swheat wrote:Anybody going to ditch Hastings now that USNWR is out? I am having a bit of (probably unjustified) buyer's remorse today.

dude im so bummed man...hastings down to fuckin 42?!??!?! with these gradual drop in rankings every year, hastings will probably enter T2 within the next few years....davis jumped 20 spots over the past two years (currently 28)....i really like hastings, i really want to go, but are they going to do anything about these drops?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:22 pm

drdolittle wrote:

Dude, are you serious? Wasn't Davis like #44 a few years ago? As I've posted under Davis, during their recent ASD they were calling themselves a top 20-25 LS. This, and some of the other comments there led me to believe that they are really focused on rankings, which probably means pandering a bit to the US News methodology. I have no problem with it, but the more telling thing will be the real effect this has on Davis grads' job prospects.

It'd be interesting to find out if Davis is gaming the employment prospects by hiring jobless grads to work in the library, etc. There is something fishy about Hastings having 69% employed at graduation and Davis having over 90%. Really that is the only difference between the two schools in the USNWR methodology -- actually Hastings outperforms Davis in many of the other categories.

Having the funding of a full university might make the difference in this scenario -- Hastings is scraping by on it's own budget (and can't afford to employ 20% of the class like Davis probably can).

a male human

Postby a male human » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:37 pm

swheat wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

It'd be interesting to find out if Davis is gaming the employment prospects by hiring jobless grads to work in the library, etc. There is something fishy about Hastings having 69% employed at graduation and Davis having over 90%. Really that is the only difference between the two schools in the USNWR methodology -- actually Hastings outperforms Davis in many of the other categories.

Having the funding of a full university might make the difference in this scenario -- Hastings is scraping by on it's own budget (and can't afford to employ 20% of the class like Davis probably can).

wait what the flying gris

do you have a link for this or do i need a us news subscription?

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:39 pm

swheat wrote:It'd be interesting to find out if Davis is gaming the employment prospects by hiring jobless grads to work in the library, etc. There is something fishy about Hastings having 69% employed at graduation and Davis having over 90%. Really that is the only difference between the two schools in the USNWR methodology -- actually Hastings outperforms Davis in many of the other categories.

As you suggest, the type of employment might be part of the story. I don't think Davis grads work in their library, but I do think that the average Davis grad might be competing for a different type of job when compared to the average Hastings grad. That is, more public interest for Davis, which of course is much less at the mercy of the economy and matches Davis' culture anyway, and relatively more private sector jobs for Hastings, which have gotten hammered lately. Having Stanford and Berkeley nearby makes this even tougher for Hastings.

And Davis did seem to have a solid plan in place to improve its overall quality, or at least that's the impression I got when visiting.

The real question is what the hell Hastings will do about it. Unfortunately schools these days apparently cannot just sit back and do their thing without worrying about rankings, at least not in the long run.
Last edited by drdolittle on Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:44 pm

a male human wrote:
swheat wrote:
drdolittle wrote:

wait what the flying gris

do you have a link for this or do i need a us news subscription?

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=114393&start=425

Shellbelle

Postby Shellbelle » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:45 pm

where is everyone seeing the new rankings?

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:47 pm

Looks like my chances of getting off the waitlist have improved... I'm pretty happy with Davis acceptance at this point, though. :wink:

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:52 pm

J Burrito wrote:Looks like my chances of getting off the waitlist have improved... I'm pretty happy with Davis acceptance at this point, though. :wink:

Case in point. Show me one person who is on the WL at Davis who is in at Hastings. You won't find one!

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:54 pm

Chaos! School in decline!

I'd recommend withdrawing pretty quickly.

It'll make getting off the wait list easier. :)

In any case, people will trumpet the differences, but the raw scores are all awfully close.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”