UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
foxyeconomist

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby foxyeconomist » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:36 pm

beef wellington wrote:
zeth006 wrote:I must say I'm torn between deciding whether to be jealous of you splitters or relieved I'm not one of you

At one end, you guys have so many possibilities--sometimes too many. Many schools will often hate your low GPAs, but others will jump up and down and go crazy over the super high LSATs and forgive a couple of bad quarters during uni. It's because of the volatility it's often I'll hear of splitters getting into some top-20 schools with scholarship $ but get rejected from a bunch in the same bracket as well as those ranked #30 and below. The benefits of being a splitter are obvious. But the downsides are equally apparent. Unpredictability and thus a need to shell out a decent, Vegas trip-sized fortune for applications across a wide spectrum of schools.

You splitters sure are a strange species.

Thank God for the LSAC fee waiver. Really hoping I don't get screwed on deposits though. This is an awful year for splitters who didn't ED--I'm on 8 WLs and 2 holds with 2 pending. Hypothetically I could end up paying for seat deposits 13 different times if I got off every WL in the exact wrong order. Obviously that's not going to happen but it could plausibly happen more than once.

I had that exact same thought, beef.

MD/JD2B

Postby MD/JD2B » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:39 am

My accountant seems to think that all expenses for applying, etc. are tax deductible as an educational deduction on your schedule C.. if that's gets you any financial relief!

JR1187

Postby JR1187 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:39 am

Last edited by JR1187 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:57 am

cool story bro

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:03 pm

anyone know how difficult it is to get the medical insurance waived at Hastings? The website doesn't have much info (just a link to the waiver form, but the waiver form isn't up yet). thanks!

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:13 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:anyone know how difficult it is to get the medical insurance waived at Hastings? The website doesn't have much info (just a link to the waiver form, but the waiver form isn't up yet). thanks!

I talked to one of the HC folks....

the way it was explained to me made it seem like it's pretty easy, and you can turn in the waiver up to 2 weeks after classes start... The health insurance cost is factored into your tuition so you'll get a refund after the financial aid is disbursed.

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:14 pm

Borhas wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:anyone know how difficult it is to get the medical insurance waived at Hastings? The website doesn't have much info (just a link to the waiver form, but the waiver form isn't up yet). thanks!

I talked to one of the HC folks....

the way it was explained to me made it seem like it's pretty easy, and you can turn in the waiver up to 2 weeks after classes start... The health insurance cost is factored into your tuition so you'll get a refund after the financial aid is disbursed.

nice. that's what i wanted to hear! thanks man :)

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:30 pm

I will probably visit Hastings on Monday, even though I'm still waiting for a decision. Do people usually set something up with the people there, or can you just show up?

I'm wondering if dropping off a preemptive LOCI might be in order. I'm increasingly worried at this point that I'll be a lone yellow or red dot in a pretty green section of LSN. I'm local so I can wait out a WL for a while. Probably nothing that can be done at this point, but I think it would feel better than doing nothing.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:32 pm

missinglink wrote:I will probably visit Hastings on Monday, even though I'm still waiting for a decision. Do people usually set something up with the people there, or can you just show up?

I'm wondering if dropping off a preemptive LOCI might be in order. I'm increasingly worried at this point that I'll be a lone yellow or red dot in a pretty green section of LSN. I'm local so I can wait out a WL for a while. Probably nothing that can be done at this point, but I think it would feel better than doing nothing.

Hastings seems like one of those schools where they don't like to receive extra material... that or they just hate emails....

but what will you do if you actually get waitlisted? shouldn't you wait for a LOCI until then? and if you do send it, you might want to send it snail mail since they really seem to hate email.

how long have you been waiting anyways? i've been waiting since oct...

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:40 pm

finalaspects wrote:
missinglink wrote:I will probably visit Hastings on Monday, even though I'm still waiting for a decision. Do people usually set something up with the people there, or can you just show up?

Hastings seems like one of those schools where they don't like to receive extra material... that or they just hate emails....

but what will you do if you actually get waitlisted? shouldn't you wait for a LOCI until then? and if you do send it, you might want to send it snail mail since they really seem to hate email.

Good point. I might just be persistent and send two. :D

Been waiting since late Jan, not as long as you.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:43 pm

missinglink wrote:Good point. I might just be persistent and send two. :D

yea you can send two, except i don't even know what to write for 1 letter let alone 2.

but yes i think im the last one waiting from oct... 2 schools are doing this to me, when LSN and probability states that i will rejected. i just hate how they're making me wait to get rejected... but i've complained about this so much that im getting tired... :cry:

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:37 pm

i could be wrong, but didn't someone say financial aid info will be released tomorrow? any idea if this is aid for some people, or everyone?

a male human

Postby a male human » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:50 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:i could be wrong, but didn't someone say financial aid info will be released tomorrow? any idea if this is aid for some people, or everyone?

That's what we were told at ASD (for everyone).

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:50 pm

a male human wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:i could be wrong, but didn't someone say financial aid info will be released tomorrow? any idea if this is aid for some people, or everyone?

great thanks for confirming that :)

angela

Postby angela » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:30 am

missinglink wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

Good point. I might just be persistent and send two. :D

I have been thinking of doing this myself, but they are just so weird about extra stuff. When i needed to send an addendum, i got a lecture about how new things should not be submitted. Ultimately, they seem to really hate extra material, so be careful about sending two LOCI. ahh all i have to say is that this process is getting really annoying!!!!

JDO

Postby JDO » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:03 am

How do you all check your status with Hastings? I have not heard of anything since I submitted my application...

drdolittle

Postby drdolittle » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:10 am

JDO wrote:How do you all check your status with Hastings? I have not heard of anything since I submitted my application...

Easy. You keep checking your email and snail mailbox.

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:57 am

zeth006 wrote:I must say I'm torn between deciding whether to be jealous of you splitters or relieved I'm not one of you

At one end, you guys have so many possibilities--sometimes too many. Many schools will often hate your low GPAs, but others will jump up and down and go crazy over the super high LSATs and forgive a couple of bad quarters during uni. It's because of the volatility it's often I'll hear of splitters getting into some top-20 schools with scholarship $ but get rejected from a bunch in the same bracket as well as those ranked #30 and below. The benefits of being a splitter are obvious. But the downsides are equally apparent. Unpredictability and thus a need to shell out a decent, Vegas trip-sized fortune for applications across a wide spectrum of schools.

You splitters sure are a strange species.

LOL, I'm actually the opposite. I have a bum undergrad GPA (2.97) and a good grad GPA (3.56), but law schools are going to look mainly at the undergrad. I haven't taken the LSAT's yet, but I've done well on several practice tests and will use the summer to take a course and study hard for the October exam. Even if I hit the 170 mark, I wish my GPA was higher because these Cali schools go crazy for the GPA. Here's hoping I get a 175. :)

OlderHopeful

Postby OlderHopeful » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:12 pm

Has anyone received their financial aid email yet? Any surprises?

a male human wrote:

rodewan

Postby rodewan » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:18 pm

I REALLY hope we get a decision soon, for those of us still waiting

gobears09

Postby gobears09 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:29 pm

When is the seat deposit due? On admitted students site it says "by date on letter of acceptance" = not helpful

meddlingkid

Postby meddlingkid » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:32 pm

gobears09 wrote:When is the seat deposit due? On admitted students site it says "by date on letter of acceptance" = not helpful

For me it was May 1 but then when I was offered a scholarship they bumped it up to April 1.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:45 pm

Interesting that they have different deposit deadlines. I've noticed other schools staggering deposit deadlines, too.

April 1st is a pretty early commitment date. I wonder how many people out of the total applicant pool are looking at a deposit deadline just 5 days or so from now.

What are your plans meddlingkid? Probably tempting to just risk a deposit if you might be waiting on other decisions.

a male human

Postby a male human » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:57 pm

I'm going to deposit tonight. Just making sure if I have a Hastings ID because it asked me for it on the checkout page.

gobears09

Postby gobears09 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:20 pm

meddlingkid wrote:
gobears09 wrote:When is the seat deposit due? On admitted students site it says "by date on letter of acceptance" = not helpful

For me it was May 1 but then when I was offered a scholarship they bumped it up to April 1.

So is it May 1 for all people without scholarship offers? Congrats on a scholarship, was it merit?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”