UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dostoevsky

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Dostoevsky » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:16 pm

GO Bears! '10 here.
I'm going to withdraw today, 10k one year scholarship. Hope that helps.
It'll all work out ;)

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:19 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:So if I don't get my rejection in the mail on monday (I'm in socal) then maybe I have a chance. 2.75. 169, so not a great shot but I have unique softs and a ps probably unlike any other, for better or worse I'm not yet sure. Anyway, avoided the recent mass WL, and if I wasn't included on this recent ding mailing then I can assume I might be hearing good news?

No news is good news for splitter I think. According to LSN Hastings is very splitter unfriendly (they don't like low GPAs high LSATS) they have acepted 168+ sub 3 folks before but I think it was off the wait list and not a straight up admit.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:57 pm

fantastic! I'm very happy to hear they are reducing class size... the huge class size was the biggest draw back for me. Did they go into any detail about what pro-bono work from the beginning means?

Yeah, class size was the major drawback for me too. I was very happy to hear that. There are lots of opportunities to get involved in student organizations that serve the local tenderloin community. You can even start volunteering through the clinics as a 1L even though you can't technically be a member of a clinic until 2L. The girl who gave me the school tour was VERY involved in a ton of public service organizations even though she was only a 1L.

I don't suppose they said if they were done w/ acceptances?

Also, they talk about how their students are faring in the job market these days?

They didn't mention anything about how many more are being admitted. Sorry.

They said that honestly the job market is tough and they are having to be flexible with strategies. They said that networking is becoming the #1 way to get jobs and the Hastings alumni network of 18,000 helps with that. They seemed like they really care about the success of their students, fwiw. Summer jobs and internships still seem good. I was impressed that their alumni have been very generous in the face of ca budget cuts. They actually saved the moot court team through donations.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:59 pm

Dostoevsky wrote:GO Bears! '10 here.
I'm going to withdraw today, 10k one year scholarship. Hope that helps.
It'll all work out ;)

Where are you planning to go instead? (p.s. go bears)

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:08 pm

calgal17 wrote:
fantastic! I'm very happy to hear they are reducing class size... the huge class size was the biggest draw back for me. Did they go into any detail about what pro-bono work from the beginning means?

Yeah, class size was the major drawback for me too. I was very happy to hear that. There are lots of opportunities to get involved in student organizations that serve the local tenderloin community. You can even start volunteering through the clinics as a 1L even though you can't technically be a member of a clinic until 2L. The girl who gave me the school tour was VERY involved in a ton of public service organizations even though she was only a 1L.

Also, they talk about how their students are faring in the job market these days?

They said that honestly the job market is tough and they are having to be flexible with strategies. They said that networking is becoming the #1 way to get jobs and the Hastings alumni network of 18,000 helps with that. They seemed like they really care about the success of their students, fwiw. Summer jobs and internships still seem good. I was impressed that their alumni have been very generous in the face of ca budget cuts. They actually saved the moot court team through donations.

Sounds like they have a strategy to weather the budget storm. It's good to hear that the alumni base is stepping up somewhat.

More and more, the UC's are going to have to operate like private schools to compete with other law schools. This means growing an endowment independent of the state budget, and being more generous with scholarship money to offset the increased tuition.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:13 pm

They said that honestly the job market is tough and they are having to be flexible with strategies. They said that networking is becoming the #1 way to get jobs and the Hastings alumni network of 18,000 helps with that. They seemed like they really care about the success of their students, fwiw. Summer jobs and internships still seem good. I was impressed that their alumni have been very generous in the face of ca budget cuts. They actually saved the moot court team through donations.[/quote]
Sounds like they have a strategy to weather the budget storm. It's good to hear that the alumni base is stepping up somewhat.

More and more, the UC's are going to have to operate like private schools to compete with other law schools. This means growing an endowment independent of the state budget, and being more generous with scholarship money to offset the increased tuition.[/quote]

Yeah, that's exactly what they said. Hastings used to get 70% of budget from the state now it's 8%! :shock: So their alumni have really stepped up because they got a legal education at such a good deal. It sounds like they are trying to get very innovative with their funding, which I guess is easier because they're not tied to the UC regents. Anyway, I thought it was a great answer to an issue that I think is worrying all of us.

CTPhIst

Postby CTPhIst » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:09 am

Still haven't heard back from them, but my application wasn't complete until early Jan. Anyone else still waiting?

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:10 am

Borhas wrote:
Foosters Galore wrote:So if I don't get my rejection in the mail on monday (I'm in socal) then maybe I have a chance. 2.75. 169, so not a great shot but I have unique softs and a ps probably unlike any other, for better or worse I'm not yet sure. Anyway, avoided the recent mass WL, and if I wasn't included on this recent ding mailing then I can assume I might be hearing good news?

No news is good news for splitter I think. According to LSN Hastings is very splitter unfriendly (they don't like low GPAs high LSATS) they have acepted 168+ sub 3 folks before but I think it was off the wait list and not a straight up admit.

I was waitlisted with a 3.34/170

CTPhIst

Postby CTPhIst » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:12 am

sibley wrote:
Borhas wrote:

I was waitlisted with a 3.34/170

Wow

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:21 am

Sorry to blanket the post, but I remembered something else very crucial. They said financial aid info is going out by email THIS FRIDAY! :D

maybesheis

Postby maybesheis » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:46 pm

calgal17 wrote:Sorry to blanket the post, but I remembered something else very crucial. They said financial aid info is going out by email THIS FRIDAY! :D

Thanks for the good info! I am so glad they are reducing the class size this year.

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:47 pm

calgal17 wrote:Sorry to blanket the post, but I remembered something else very crucial. They said financial aid info is going out by email THIS FRIDAY! :D

thanks for the info! Definitely good to know :)

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:20 pm

yes, I'd say that's slightly post worthy

crm

Postby crm » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:23 pm

Borhas wrote:

agreed!

Cale39

Postby Cale39 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:10 pm

Went to the ASD with my gf and we were both decently impressed. The facilities are very nice, much nicer than I thought. The Tower looks pretty cool actually. I'm still waiting on my scholarship info (it seems like most students get the $10K Hastings Grant .. can someone correct me on this?)

Cool things also include: seems like a lot of people can get onto a journal, but getting on to the better (best?) journal, Hastings Law Journal, is highly selective. Moot Court is very highly ranked apparently. This is good for a speech/debate/mock trial nerd like me.

The faculty and staff seems very supportive for such a big school. The fact that they are reducing the class size is interesting.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Cale39 wrote:Went to the ASD with my gf and we were both decently impressed. The facilities are very nice, much nicer than I thought. The Tower looks pretty cool actually. I'm still waiting on my scholarship info (it seems like most students get the $10K Hastings Grant .. can someone correct me on this?)

Cool things also include: seems like a lot of people can get onto a journal, but getting on to the better (best?) journal, Hastings Law Journal, is highly selective. Moot Court is very highly ranked apparently. This is good for a speech/debate/mock trial nerd like me.

The faculty and staff seems very supportive for such a big school. The fact that they are reducing the class size is interesting.

policy debater at college?

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:18 pm

CTPhIst wrote:Still haven't heard back from them, but my application wasn't complete until early Jan. Anyone else still waiting?

There are a couple of us. Positive or negative, I'd love to hear something this week.

Nothing in the post today.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:19 pm

missinglink wrote:
CTPhIst wrote:Still haven't heard back from them, but my application wasn't complete until early Jan. Anyone else still waiting?

There are a couple of us. Positive or negative, I'd love to hear something this week.

Nothing in the post today.

Since Oct... but it seems like im just waiting to get rejected so yea. GL

amacqueen

Postby amacqueen » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:18 pm

I am still waiting and it is driving my batty. I thought I would be a shoe in at UC Hastings off of the stats listed on their web site but am having huge doubst now.

Foosters Galore

Postby Foosters Galore » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:57 pm

Nothing in the mail today...I can hope for another 24 hours

cLams

Postby cLams » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:00 pm

amacqueen wrote:

I am still waiting and it is driving my batty. I thought I would be a shoe in at UC Hastings off of the stats listed on their web site but am having huge doubst now.

Also in the batty group. Thought I had a good chance, now I feel like I have a better chance of winning the lottery! I've been waiting since early Dec.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:04 pm

cLams wrote:
amacqueen wrote:

Also in the batty group. Thought I had a good chance, now I feel like I have a better chance of winning the lottery! I've been waiting since early Dec.

none of you guys have to feel worse then me....

anyone else been waiting since oct like me? or am i THE last one now....

Cale39

Postby Cale39 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Borhas wrote:

Nah, I did extemp/congress in high school with some mock trial, focused on mock trial in college. More of a speaker than a debater but did LD/parli at a few (like 2) tournaments.

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:45 pm

Cale39 wrote:
Borhas wrote:

Nah, I did extemp/congress in high school with some mock trial, focused on mock trial in college. More of a speaker than a debater but did LD/parli at a few (like 2) tournaments.

Student Congress, FTW. The only event where your popularity among your fellow debaters can help determine your success!

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:40 pm

I was a policy debater for a while. Good times.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”