UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Shellbelle

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Shellbelle » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:31 pm

squirtle wrote:
a male human wrote:
elmeromero wrote:
Shellbelle wrote:anybody going to the reception tomorrow in downtown LA?

I'm going. I wonder what to expect, but I really hope there is some good food. I'll be hungry after sitting in traffic getting there.

I'm also going. I have a feeling it's going to be one of those "everybody in the table laughs and is congenial to one another trying to be interested in what they have to say" sticky situations. But I'd rather be in that sort of table rather than pretending to be too busy enjoying the general atmosphere when I'm actually standing around eating by myself waiting for 2 hours to pass. I mean what more do we have to know about Hastings when most of us going to the reception (enduring traffic under the recent heat wave oh god) have the school as one of our top choices already?

i hope the event doesn't turn out the way you describe it haha...actually, i was scared of that so i decided to be safe and bring a guest...at least i'll look like im having a blast with my "guest" if it gets awkkkkward haha...

see you tomorrow

what!?!?!? you can bring a guest? ugh. I wish I had known that...I'm really hoping it's not super awkward. I mean hello, we are giving up our st. patty's day for this ;)

Cale39

Postby Cale39 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:37 pm

Is anyone going to the SF reception on Saturday? Can we bring a guest?

fiftyonefifty

Postby fiftyonefifty » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:05 pm

Has anyone put down their seat deposit yet? Debating whether I should do it now or just before the deadline.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:08 pm

Cale39 wrote:Is anyone going to the SF reception on Saturday? Can we bring a guest?

Which reception is this? Did I miss a few dinner? :D

Cale39

Postby Cale39 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:09 pm

LOL I think reception was wrong word.

I mean the admitted students day this Saturday from 9 - 4 ish

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:10 pm

fiftyonefifty wrote:Has anyone put down their seat deposit yet? Debating whether I should do it now or just before the deadline.

i'm going to wait until i hear back about money.

calgal17

Postby calgal17 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:13 pm

Cale39 wrote:LOL I think reception was wrong word.

I mean the admitted students day this Saturday from 9 - 4 ish

Oh, then yes! I am bringing a guest to that.

amb123

Postby amb123 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:15 pm

What is the due date of the enrollment deposit? I think I remember May 1st, but I lost my admission's letter, and now I'm not entirely sure.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:16 pm

amb123 wrote:What is the due date of the enrollment deposit? I think I remember May 1st, but I lost my admission's letter, and now I'm not entirely sure.

man may 1st is pretty late.... guess waitlisters will be waiting a longggg time.

a male human

Postby a male human » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:26 pm

April 1st for scholars. Can we submit these deposits online?

fiftyonefifty

Postby fiftyonefifty » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:37 pm

a male human wrote:April 1st for scholars. Can we submit these deposits online?

I think they have the online payment form on their website.

amb123

Postby amb123 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:22 pm

yeah, you can pay online if you go to the website and login with the info given to you in your admission letter.

msch0i

Postby msch0i » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:38 pm

Bleh, my numbers twin who sent in his app at the same time got waitlisted. Guess I know my fate :(

angela

Postby angela » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:01 am

i am beyond obsessing now, seriously checking my email every half hour, i just want to know already and move on!!!!!

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:20 pm

Just got rejected yesterday via small envelope. I withdrew in December. They even sent an acknowledgement email and asked where I was going.

Apparently database fundamentals elude them.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:21 pm

NayBoer wrote:Just got rejected yesterday via small envelope. I withdrew in December. They even sent an acknowledgement email and asked where I was going.

sorry to hear that....

but i would like to know if im rejected too hastings! complete since mid-Oct.... get to it already!

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:23 pm

NayBoer wrote:Just got rejected yesterday via small envelope. I withdrew in December. They even sent an acknowledgement email and asked where I was going.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did that to everyone who withdraws just to marginally increase yield rate

edit: not sure if ^ makes sense though
Last edited by Borhas on Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:26 pm

Dear Hastings: If you un-waitlist me, I might actually consider you. Maybe even as much as I would have done if you'd LET ME IN IN THE FIRST PLACE. Butts =(

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:02 pm

Borhas wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did that to everyone who withdraws just to marginally increase yield rate

Made sense to me, Application received -> withdraw before decision -> auto-reject from school so yield rate is higher.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:32 pm

Inygma wrote:
Borhas wrote:

Made sense to me, Application received -> withdraw before decision -> auto-reject from school so yield rate is higher.

I think you guys are thinking of selectivity rate. Yield = matriculants / admits, selectivity = admits / applicants. I think.

ViP

Postby ViP » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:43 pm

beef wellington wrote:
Inygma wrote:
Borhas wrote:

I think you guys are thinking of selectivity rate. Yield = matriculants / admits, selectivity = admits / applicants. I think.

They are talking about yield. And selectivity.

If you are admitted to a school and you withdraw, that hurts a school's yield (because obviously you're not matriculating). On the same note, if the school disregards your withdrawal and rejects you (in the case of a waitlist), that helps the school's selectivity.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:45 pm

ViP wrote:They are talking about yield. And selectivity.

If you are admitted to a school and you withdraw, that hurts a school's yield (because obviously you're not matriculating). On the same note, if the school disregards your withdrawal and rejects you, that helps the school's selectivity.

Right, I thought they were talking about the latter scenario. Rejecting NayBoer's app wouldn't affect their yield.

ViP

Postby ViP » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:58 pm

beef wellington wrote:

If you are admitted to a school and you withdraw, that hurts a school's yield (because obviously you're not matriculating). On the same note, if the school disregards your withdrawal and rejects you, that helps the school's selectivity.

Right, I thought they were talking about the latter scenario. Rejecting NayBoer's app wouldn't affect their yield.

Oh, right.

If NayBoer was waitlisted and received a rejection letter even after withdrawing, the school is "protecting" selectivity and not yield (although I think it's more likely that the school is just disorganized and can't keep track of everything, haha).

EDIT: I just realized that NayBoer probably withdrew before a decision was made. Still selectivity at work, though. Yield only comes into play with regard to accepted applicants.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:04 pm

beef wellington wrote:

It is protecting yield also, but only if they were planning on accepting him. If they were planning on accepting him and he withdrew before they made a decision, they reject him and then his app isn't considered in yield rate, which effectively makes yield higher. He would be a non-matriculating admit if they did admit him, which lowers yield.

On the other hand, if they never planned on accepting him, yield is unaffected.

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Rejection via small envelope in mail today. Numbers in profile, complete 12/1 (though my LSN says otherwise, because it never updates the way I tell it to the first time for some reason...).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”