UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby msch0i » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:19 pm

Are there October completes out there (other than you, final :D) that are still waiting? Early Nov. completes?

User avatar
ozarkhack
Posts: 380
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:48 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby ozarkhack » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:20 pm

sophistry wrote:
Borhas wrote:
sophistry wrote:Was anyone else REALLY excited to get accepted, and then REALLY disappointed to read those Hastings fee increase memos?

$50k+ out of state tuition? Not to mention the likely increase in 2011-2012... I just can't see how Hastings is worth that much. I'm so disappointed right now.


I try not to think about it, and when I do I remind myself that I better get a decent PI job so I can use the PICAP.


I'll have to give PICAP a closer look. I have an (unfounded) distrust of loan forgiveness programs. I figure there must be a catch, or that they'll pull funding from it by the time I graduate. At least they increased the wage cap to $70k.


I hadn't even looked at PICAP yet. Wow. Looks pretty decent to me. (Now, if they'll just let me in, I'll be good to go.)

But help for a second: PICAP would pay 70%-100% of the IBR-adjusted loan payment. Yes? So I could max out COA-limit in GradPLUS (likely racking up $200+K in debt), beg for a PI job paying, say, $45-50K and pay only, like, $90/monthly debt payment???

Oh, and the catch is here: "Depending on available funds each year, recipients may received less than the maximum amount."

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:22 pm

ozarkhack wrote:
sophistry wrote:
Borhas wrote:
sophistry wrote:Was anyone else REALLY excited to get accepted, and then REALLY disappointed to read those Hastings fee increase memos?

$50k+ out of state tuition? Not to mention the likely increase in 2011-2012... I just can't see how Hastings is worth that much. I'm so disappointed right now.


I try not to think about it, and when I do I remind myself that I better get a decent PI job so I can use the PICAP.


I'll have to give PICAP a closer look. I have an (unfounded) distrust of loan forgiveness programs. I figure there must be a catch, or that they'll pull funding from it by the time I graduate. At least they increased the wage cap to $70k.


I hadn't even looked at PICAP yet. Wow. Looks pretty decent to me. (Now, if they'll just let me in, I'll be good to go.)

But help for a second: PICAP would pay 70%-100% of the IBR-adjusted loan payment. Yes? So I could max out COA-limit in GradPLUS (likely racking up $200+K in debt), beg for a PI job paying, say, $45-50K and pay only, like, $90/monthly debt payment???

Oh, and the catch is here: "Depending on available funds each year, recipients may received less than the maximum amount."


Well...and finding public interest employment in something that you at least 1/2 enjoy I'm sure can be a challenge as well.

Lots of things to hope for/count on that aren't money in the bank just yet.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1678
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby a male human » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:24 pm

Inygma wrote:
a male human wrote:
Inygma wrote:Anyone going to welcome party in Los Angeles for admitted students?

Is it the one next Wednesday? I'm there hopefully.


Ya, do you know if we can bring a guest?

You could ask, but I'm going alone. Someone keep me company.

squirtle
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:51 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby squirtle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Inygma wrote:
a male human wrote:
Inygma wrote:Anyone going to welcome party in Los Angeles for admitted students?

Is it the one next Wednesday? I'm there hopefully.


Ya, do you know if we can bring a guest?


You can bring a guest, as long as your RSVP them as well. I just RSVPd and I am wondering what exactly this event is all about. Formal meet and greet?

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4852
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Borhas » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:42 pm

is anyone going to the DC welcome reception at Kirkland & Ellis?

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Inygma » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:18 pm

squirtle wrote:
Inygma wrote:
a male human wrote:
Inygma wrote:Anyone going to welcome party in Los Angeles for admitted students?

Is it the one next Wednesday? I'm there hopefully.


Ya, do you know if we can bring a guest?


You can bring a guest, as long as your RSVP them as well. I just RSVPd and I am wondering what exactly this event is all about. Formal meet and greet?


Basically an alumni mixer, where admitted students can go and feel-good by asking successful grads if we should go to Hastings; of course it is very provocative that the alumni hosting it is in a skyskraper in Los Angeles and very successful.

User avatar
J Burrito
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:21 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby J Burrito » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:52 pm

msch0i wrote:Are there October completes out there (other than you, final :D) that are still waiting? Early Nov. completes?

Complete 11/11ish.. Not a peep since the EC deferral in December. What's going on?? I thought 4 months would be enough time to make a decision on me!

User avatar
lateforthesky16
Posts: 225
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:05 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby lateforthesky16 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:12 pm

Anyone think Hastings is done handing out merit aid?

Also, Hastings claims to be generous with the Hastings grants, but does anyone know if this is true? If I received a small need-based grant from Davis (their projected grant was about 10,000), do you think I'll qualify for a Hastings grant? (EFC was less than 3,000, if that helps). I really want to attend Hastings, but it's tough turning down other scholarships knowing I won't be saving any money by going to Hastings. any thoughts would be awesome. thanks! :)

leftieash
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:21 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby leftieash » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:34 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:Anyone think Hastings is done handing out merit aid?

Also, Hastings claims to be generous with the Hastings grants, but does anyone know if this is true? If I received a small need-based grant from Davis (their projected grant was about 10,000), do you think I'll qualify for a Hastings grant? (EFC was less than 3,000, if that helps). I really want to attend Hastings, but it's tough turning down other scholarships knowing I won't be saving any money by going to Hastings. any thoughts would be awesome. thanks! :)


I am curious to know this too. They said in the acceptance letter that some people would get offers in April...but who knows. I am hoping maybe they will redistribute some scholarships after people withdraw? I am going to the ASD next weekend, so I'll be sure to ask this question and let everyone know ;)

For people who have gotten merit aid so far, did you already turn in your financial aid application stuff prior to getting notified of the scholarship?

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1678
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby a male human » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:05 pm

leftieash wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:Anyone think Hastings is done handing out merit aid?

Also, Hastings claims to be generous with the Hastings grants, but does anyone know if this is true? If I received a small need-based grant from Davis (their projected grant was about 10,000), do you think I'll qualify for a Hastings grant? (EFC was less than 3,000, if that helps). I really want to attend Hastings, but it's tough turning down other scholarships knowing I won't be saving any money by going to Hastings. any thoughts would be awesome. thanks! :)


I am curious to know this too. They said in the acceptance letter that some people would get offers in April...but who knows. I am hoping maybe they will redistribute some scholarships after people withdraw? I am going to the ASD next weekend, so I'll be sure to ask this question and let everyone know ;)

For people who have gotten merit aid so far, did you already turn in your financial aid application stuff prior to getting notified of the scholarship?

I got mine a week after submitting it, but do they process it that fast?

User avatar
weaselology
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:28 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby weaselology » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:25 pm

leftieash wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:Anyone think Hastings is done handing out merit aid?

Also, Hastings claims to be generous with the Hastings grants, but does anyone know if this is true? If I received a small need-based grant from Davis (their projected grant was about 10,000), do you think I'll qualify for a Hastings grant? (EFC was less than 3,000, if that helps). I really want to attend Hastings, but it's tough turning down other scholarships knowing I won't be saving any money by going to Hastings. any thoughts would be awesome. thanks! :)


I am curious to know this too. They said in the acceptance letter that some people would get offers in April...but who knows. I am hoping maybe they will redistribute some scholarships after people withdraw? I am going to the ASD next weekend, so I'll be sure to ask this question and let everyone know ;)

For people who have gotten merit aid so far, did you already turn in your financial aid application stuff prior to getting notified of the scholarship?

I got mine before I turned in the financial aid application. I'm curious: has anyone that submitted financial aid forms by the deadline received their aid package yet?

maybesheis
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:23 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby maybesheis » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:20 pm

weaselology wrote:
leftieash wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:Anyone think Hastings is done handing out merit aid?

Also, Hastings claims to be generous with the Hastings grants, but does anyone know if this is true? If I received a small need-based grant from Davis (their projected grant was about 10,000), do you think I'll qualify for a Hastings grant? (EFC was less than 3,000, if that helps). I really want to attend Hastings, but it's tough turning down other scholarships knowing I won't be saving any money by going to Hastings. any thoughts would be awesome. thanks! :)


I am curious to know this too. They said in the acceptance letter that some people would get offers in April...but who knows. I am hoping maybe they will redistribute some scholarships after people withdraw? I am going to the ASD next weekend, so I'll be sure to ask this question and let everyone know ;)

For people who have gotten merit aid so far, did you already turn in your financial aid application stuff prior to getting notified of the scholarship?

I got mine before I turned in the financial aid application. I'm curious: has anyone that submitted financial aid forms by the deadline received their aid package yet?


I submitted mine by the deadline, but I haven't received any financial aid information. I think they may have looked at my file, though, because I got an email saying it was incomplete due to selected services, which was an error.

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1678
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby a male human » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:27 pm

When do you think we'll get our finaid packages? I have to submit my deposit by end of March, which is the deadline for accepting the scholarship, too.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby missinglink » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:50 pm

Awfully quiet on the admissions front.

Has anyone heard anything since the end of February?

Thread seems to be going the way of people discussing fin-aid ... not a good sign for those still waiting. :lol:

User avatar
motedust
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby motedust » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:23 pm

missinglink wrote:Awfully quiet on the admissions front.

Has anyone heard anything since the end of February?

Thread seems to be going the way of people discussing fin-aid ... not a good sign for those still waiting. :lol:


Been complete since 3/2. Know a lot of people have been waiting quite a bit longer than that but it's still a brutal wait!! I don't know if it is better to have a status checker that I can compulsively check or to just have nothing and wait. Wake Forest has given me a pretty quick turnaround so I'm hoping Hastings does the same (ranking 39 vs 40).

User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby msch0i » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:30 pm

motedust wrote:
missinglink wrote:Awfully quiet on the admissions front.

Has anyone heard anything since the end of February?

Thread seems to be going the way of people discussing fin-aid ... not a good sign for those still waiting. :lol:


Been complete since 3/2. Know a lot of people have been waiting quite a bit longer than that but it's still a brutal wait!! I don't know if it is better to have a status checker that I can compulsively check or to just have nothing and wait. Wake Forest has given me a pretty quick turnaround so I'm hoping Hastings does the same (ranking 39 vs 40).


Those 10 days must've been brutal for you :evil:

I kid :lol:

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:32 pm

msch0i wrote:
motedust wrote:
missinglink wrote:Awfully quiet on the admissions front.

Has anyone heard anything since the end of February?

Thread seems to be going the way of people discussing fin-aid ... not a good sign for those still waiting. :lol:


Been complete since 3/2. Know a lot of people have been waiting quite a bit longer than that but it's still a brutal wait!! I don't know if it is better to have a status checker that I can compulsively check or to just have nothing and wait. Wake Forest has given me a pretty quick turnaround so I'm hoping Hastings does the same (ranking 39 vs 40).


Those 10 days must've been brutal for you :evil:

I kid :lol:


I submitted in late December and was waitlisted like a month and a half later... and my numbers are good =( still sad about it.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby missinglink » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:40 pm

Status checker is not really worth it. It only provides the illusion of more information.

See the Davis thread for this cycle.

Inygma
Posts: 629
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:11 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:13 pm

missinglink wrote:Status checker is not really worth it. It only provides the illusion of more information.

See the Davis thread for this cycle.


LOL!!!!! SO TRUE! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cale39
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Cale39 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:30 pm

my mom just called at home...

I got into hastings!!!!!!! woo

162 / 3.74

submitted 12/30, In review 1/15 letter dated probably 1-2 days ago

User avatar
a male human
Posts: 1678
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby a male human » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:50 pm

Cale39 wrote:my mom just called at home...

I got into hastings!!!!!!! woo

162 / 3.74

submitted 12/30, In review 1/15 letter dated probably 1-2 days ago

awesome!

User avatar
calgal17
Posts: 293
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:08 am

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby calgal17 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:18 pm

Cale39 wrote:my mom just called at home...

I got into hastings!!!!!!! woo

162 / 3.74

submitted 12/30, In review 1/15 letter dated probably 1-2 days ago



Congrats!

dekscholar
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby dekscholar » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:57 pm

Got accepted today also! My application was complete on Feb 23.

User avatar
msch0i
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby msch0i » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:26 pm

Congrats to both of you! Where are you located, if you don't mind sharing?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bellaboo, canafsa, ellielaw, okf731, taxman14 and 10 guests