UC Hastings 2010!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Inygma

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Postby Inygma » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:39 pm

Veritas wrote:not worth sticker, that's really expensive.

Seriously... $60k for a public that has additionally one of the highest CoL in the United States, no thanks. If you are out-of-state I would definately look into other options.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:41 pm

Inygma wrote:

Seriously... $60k for a public that has additionally one of the highest CoL in the United States, no thanks. If you are out-of-state I would definately look into other options.

for sure. Money at USD would be better, imho

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:46 pm

Veritas wrote:
Inygma wrote:

Though I'm sure you'll end up at a better school than me, I'd be happy if we went to the same school, we seem to be on the same page... except the OC thing :twisted:

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:48 pm

Inygma wrote:
Veritas wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:Yeah, Loyola tends to doll out tons of cash if remain in top 1/3 or 1/2 I think. Davis, I'm not too sure of, but they definitely dont give out as much as Loyola.

I've heard that Davis is good with need based aid.

I read that 1L is almost ticket, maybe you can get 1000-10,000 in need-based. I hear if you do well then 2L-3L they give substantially more money for you to stay there.

anyone else that can vouch for this?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:52 pm

AlanShore wrote:
Inygma wrote:
Veritas wrote:
savesthedayajb wrote:Yeah, Loyola tends to doll out tons of cash if remain in top 1/3 or 1/2 I think. Davis, I'm not too sure of, but they definitely dont give out as much as Loyola.

I've heard that Davis is good with need based aid.

I read that 1L is almost ticket, maybe you can get 1000-10,000 in need-based. I hear if you do well then 2L-3L they give substantially more money for you to stay there.

I have a friend at Davis law who has shared the same information.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:53 pm

AlanShore wrote:
Inygma wrote:
Veritas wrote:I've heard that Davis is good with need based aid.

This was posted by davis3l, who has been answering Davis questions in a different thread.

2. Davis v. tier 2 - I would PROBABLY still take Davis over a tier 2 with scholarship. I guess it depends which tier 2, what location, what scholarship. Here are some things to consider: a) Davis gives a ton of grants to 2Ls and 3Ls (unless you come from a rich background). So even though you might have a 20k scholarship to a tier 2, you might lose the scholarship after 1L, then be left paying full price for 2L and 3L. At Davis you might pay close to full price for 1L, but then you get 10-15k grants for 2L and 3L. b) Location of the tier 2 also matters a lot. If it's a school like Loyola, I'd say forget it...way too much competition around LA. But if it's somewhere like Houston (top school in a large city), then it would be a close decision.

In response to a questions about tier2 scholly vs ticket Davis

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:02 pm

Inygma wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
Inygma wrote:
Veritas wrote:I've heard that Davis is good with need based aid.

This was posted by davis3l, who has been answering Davis questions in a different thread.

2. Davis v. tier 2 - I would PROBABLY still take Davis over a tier 2 with scholarship. I guess it depends which tier 2, what location, what scholarship. Here are some things to consider: a) Davis gives a ton of grants to 2Ls and 3Ls (unless you come from a rich background). So even though you might have a 20k scholarship to a tier 2, you might lose the scholarship after 1L, then be left paying full price for 2L and 3L. At Davis you might pay close to full price for 1L, but then you get 10-15k grants for 2L and 3L. b) Location of the tier 2 also matters a lot. If it's a school like Loyola, I'd say forget it...way too much competition around LA. But if it's somewhere like Houston (top school in a large city), then it would be a close decision.

In response to a questions about tier2 scholly vs ticket Davis

thanks a lot for posting this.
i'd prefer Hastings because of location (not immediate surroundings but city campus). Does Davis rival Hastings reputation in San fran?

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:03 pm

Veritas wrote:
Inygma wrote:

Be careful here. I understand UC tuition is outrageous but you need to think long and hard about taking USD's money. First San Diego is a small legal market, and a very desirable place to live. You will need great grades to get the kind of job average grades at Hastings/Davis would get you. Second, you will also need great grades to keep your scholarship, as USD always puts a top 30% gpa req. on their schollys. So you can see that choosing USD would put a lot of pressure on you to keep your grades high.

I'm not suggesting that you all not go to USD (I was faced with the same decision -- 80k USD vs. sticker Hastings, and I almost chose USD) -- just suggesting that you give serious consideration to the pros and cons of each option.

BioLaw

Postby BioLaw » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:04 pm

I'm a 2L at Hastings and will be around for about an hour if any of you have questions.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:09 pm

AlanShore wrote:
i'd prefer Hastings because of location (not immediate surroundings but city campus). Does Davis rival Hastings reputation in San fran?

This is debated frequently (mostly between Hastings/Davis students/grads) but is inconclusive imo.

The truth is Davis/Hastings flop rank all the time, and their job placement is about equal. Hastings has a larger alumni network because Davis is a fairly new law school and Hastings 1L is about the size of Davis 1L-3L.

It comes down to where you want to live, Urban/Rural, and what you expect to get out of law school. I imagine that relationships at Davis are a lot stronger/close between classes because of the more intimate size. Also, Davis boasts a pretty good student:faculty ratio for a public school.

When I visited Davis, admissions told me that Davis/Hastings admit about the same people (meaning if you get in at Davis you usually get in at Hastings and vice-versa). This would suggest that the schools have the same "caliber" (take LSAT/GPA reflection on 1L success for what you will) students.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:09 pm

BioLaw wrote:I'm a 2L at Hastings and will be around for about an hour if any of you have questions.

how much to you pay for rent, is it Hastings housing, or elsewhere

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:10 pm

swheat wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Inygma wrote:

Be careful here. I understand UC tuition is outrageous but you need to think long and hard about taking USD's money. First San Diego is a small legal market, and a very desirable place to live. You will need great grades to get the kind of job average grades at Hastings/Davis would get you. Second, you will also need great grades to keep your scholarship, as USD always puts a top 30% gpa req. on their schollys. So you can see that choosing USD would put a lot of pressure on you to keep your grades high.

I'm not suggesting that you all not go to USD (I was faced with the same decision -- 80k USD vs. sticker Hastings, and I almost chose USD) -- just suggesting that you give serious consideration to the pros and cons of each option.

So USD does put top 30% on their Schollys? Do you know if this is on all their schollys and if it is negotiable?

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:11 pm

Inygma wrote:
AlanShore wrote:

This is debated frequently (mostly between Hastings/Davis students/grads) but is inconclusive imo.

The truth is Davis/Hastings flop rank all the time, and their job placement is about equal. Hastings has a larger alumni network because Davis is a fairly new law school and Hastings 1L is about the size of Davis 1L-3L.

It comes down to where you want to live, Urban/Rural, and what you expect to get out of law school. I imagine that relationships at Davis are a lot stronger/close between classes because of the more intimate size. Also, Davis boasts a pretty good student:faculty ratio for a public school.

When I visited Davis, admissions told me that Davis/Hastings admit about the same people (meaning if you get in at Davis you usually get in at Hastings and vice-versa). This would suggest that the schools have the same "caliber" (take LSAT/GPA reflection on 1L success for what you will) students.

Thanks. I wouldnt mind living in a more rural area for 3 years, especially since it is pretty close to San Fran. It would come down to $ and job prospects coming out of those 2 schools (job prospects in San Francisco, not Sacramento) which means, if they are pretty similar in job prospects, that it would come down to $..

BioLaw

Postby BioLaw » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:12 pm

sdegarmo wrote:
BioLaw wrote:I'm a 2L at Hastings and will be around for about an hour if any of you have questions.

I live in the east bay, and I pay $1400-$1500 a month for a one bedroom that I share with my SO.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:14 pm

BioLaw wrote:
sdegarmo wrote:

I live in the east bay, and I pay $1400-$1500 a month for a one bedroom that I share with my SO.

Do you drive or take public transportation?

If you drive... doesn't it cost about $200/mo to park near school?

If you take pub....How safe is public transportation?

How safe is your apartment/surrounding area?

BioLaw

Postby BioLaw » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:18 pm

Inygma wrote:
BioLaw wrote:
sdegarmo wrote:

Do you drive or take public transportation?

If you drive... doesn't it cost about $200/mo to park near school?

If you take pub....How safe is public transportation?

How safe is your apartment/surrounding area?

I take BART to school everyday. It's very safe as long as you take reasonable precautions. For example, be aware of your surroundings if travelling late at night, etc.

I think that parking does cost that much every month. Hastings' parking is actually relatively cheap compared to other areas of the city.

My apartment is in a fairly safe area. If you want to live close to school, I highly recommend the Tower because it's one of the few "very safe" places to live that is close enough to walk to school.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:19 pm

BioLaw wrote:
sdegarmo wrote:

Do you think one can find a studio (small is fine) for 1000/mo?

How much is on campus housing (I think its called The Tower?)?

How is everyone feeling about the job market?

thanks for answering questions.

BioLaw

Postby BioLaw » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:24 pm

AlanShore wrote:
BioLaw wrote:
sdegarmo wrote:

Do you think one can find a studio (small is fine) for 1000/mo?

How much is on campus housing (I think its called The Tower?)?

How is everyone feeling about the job market?

thanks for answering questions.

Check out this link for housing rates in the Tower: --LinkRemoved--

Again, I didn't live in the Tower myself, but it didn't seem like a bad place to spend 1L year. As far as $1000 for a studio in SF...I think it could be done, but the best place to check would be craigslist. Living in the east bay, I don't have a terrific grasp on housing prices in the city.

The job market has most people worried right now, to be honest. I did manage to land a good position for next summer, but I feel extremely fortunate to have done so.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:25 pm

What approximately is your rank?

How long does it take to get to school from your apt on the BART?

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:25 pm

Is there any parking at hastings?

BioLaw

Postby BioLaw » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Inygma wrote:What approximately is your rank?

Including walking time and BART, it takes about 35-40 minutes to get from my apartment door to school.
Last edited by BioLaw on Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:29 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:Is there any parking at hastings?

I believe there is a parking structure a block away that is about $200/mo

General Tso

Postby General Tso » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:30 pm

Inygma wrote:So USD does put top 30% on their Schollys? Do you know if this is on all their schollys and if it is negotiable?

Not negotiable. I tried to negotiate the removal of the GPA req. and they said that the only thing that was negotiable was the amount. So I had to withdraw....I wasn't going to risk my girlfriend's job and my career prospects.

EDIT: I don't know if their full scholly offers have a GPA req. But I do know that a 2/3 scholly does.
Last edited by General Tso on Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BioLaw

Postby BioLaw » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:30 pm

savesthedayajb wrote:Is there any parking at hastings?

Yes, we have a brand new parking garage about a block from school. See: --LinkRemoved--

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:30 pm

BioLaw wrote:
Inygma wrote:What approximately is your rank?

Including walking time and BART, it takes about 35-40 minutes to get from my apartment door to school.

That is fine, just wanted to see approximately.

Did you find that many people ranked above you found decent summer internships?
Last edited by Inygma on Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”