UC Hastings 2010!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pamcasso

New

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Post by pamcasso » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:41 am

millieb wrote:
pamcasso wrote:i would like some other opinions on this dilemma of mine:

what is a better idea, considering i am pretty positive that i want to work in SF-- substantial scholarship at USF with GPA reqs, or sticker at hastings? obviously hastings is vastly above usf in rankings and what not, but the idea of having potentially lower debt is so tempting. unless i dont meet the gpa reqs, of course, and that mystery adds to the difficulty of the decision
How stiff are the gpa reqs?
3.2--which they said works out to be about top 25%

and i should add--my parents have offered to let me live with them after i graduate free of charge (so no paying rent, no buying food, no paying for my share of utilities) while i work/pay off my debt. i would shamelessly take up that offer, even if its lame to be 24 and live with your parents. in this scenario, if i graduate with $100,000 in debt and get a job that pays only $50,000 or so, it wouldnt be too miserable to pay down that debt. so should this make it more reasonable to pay sticker at hastings? i dont know

also, i have no interest in biglaw, but possibly interested in a judicial clerkship

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:41 pm

169/3.51 got rejected by hastings... how? why?

even his father went to hastings so he had legacy... definitely confused...

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/jws02004

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:42 pm

finalaspects wrote:169/3.51 got rejected by hastings... how? why?

maybe he's just a mean person. i hate mean people

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:43 pm

finalaspects wrote:169/3.51 got rejected by hastings... how? why?

Ouch. Maybe they figured he'd end up at UCLA or berk?

Veritas wrote:maybe he's just a mean person. i hate mean people
I like this solution better. It reiterates the santa claus naughty list idea.
Last edited by sibley on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhymenocerous

New

Post by Rhymenocerous » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:45 pm

Same on the USF/Hastings Dillemma. Received $26,000 to USF with 3.7/161 but is it worth going to Hastings for that first job out of school? And how difficult is it to get the $ renewed at USF? Then again, haven't heard from Hastings yet anyway...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:42 pm

I was deciding between Santa Clara $12k and Hastings full price. Faxed SCU a form to appeal for more scholarship yesterday >_>

I wonder if I should wait until March/April before trying to probe Hastings for any merit scholarship. It seems people are still being admitted, so they may not have the funds they already don't have right now.
Last edited by a male human on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bayareadunks

New

Post by bayareadunks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:42 pm

Rhymenocerous wrote:Same on the USF/Hastings Dillemma. Received $26,000 to USF with 3.7/161 but is it worth going to Hastings for that first job out of school? And how difficult is it to get the $ renewed at USF? Then again, haven't heard from Hastings yet anyway...
woooow that's crazy. Numbers twin and scholarship twin...

I heard from Hastings...so you HAVE to get in.

pamcasso

New

Post by pamcasso » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:38 pm

pamcasso wrote:
millieb wrote:

what is a better idea, considering i am pretty positive that i want to work in SF-- substantial scholarship at USF with GPA reqs, or sticker at hastings? obviously hastings is vastly above usf in rankings and what not, but the idea of having potentially lower debt is so tempting. unless i dont meet the gpa reqs, of course, and that mystery adds to the difficulty of the decision

and i should add--my parents have offered to let me live with them after i graduate free of charge (so no paying rent, no buying food, no paying for my share of utilities) while i work/pay off my debt. i would shamelessly take up that offer, even if its lame to be 24 and live with your parents. in this scenario, if i graduate with $100,000 in debt and get a job that pays only $50,000 or so, it wouldnt be too miserable to pay down that debt. so should this make it more reasonable to pay sticker at hastings? i dont know

also, i have no interest in biglaw, but possibly interested in a judicial clerkship
can someone please offer advice? i would be forever appreciative because i keep going around in circles in my head

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:13 pm

pamcasso wrote:
pamcasso wrote:
millieb wrote:

can someone please offer advice? i would be forever appreciative because i keep going around in circles in my head
Are you into PI/Government work? the PICAP supposedly helps out if you earn less than 70k/year and work for state, local, or Fed government or non-profit.

I can't really say one way or another, but my goals are for the best PI/government job I can find in Northern California and Hastings seems to be the best school for me, though the tuition is terrifying. On the other hand free (or a very substantial) tuition at USF may be better for everything else, assuming you can finish at the top of the class, and you would have to at least do very well to keep the scholarship, and if you don't then you can't transfer out (I doubt that transfer opportunities would be great at someone below 25% at USF).
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pamcasso

New

Post by pamcasso » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:50 pm

Borhas wrote:
pamcasso wrote:
millieb wrote:

Are you into PI/Government work? the PICAP supposedly helps out if you earn less than 70k/year and work for state, local, or Fed government or non-profit.

I can't really say one way or another, but my goals are for the best PI/government job I can find in Northern California and Hastings seems to be the best school for me, though the tuition is terrifying. On the other hand free (or a very substantial) tuition at USF may be better for everything else, assuming you can finish at the top of the class, and you would have to at least do very well to keep the scholarship, and if you don't then you can't transfer out (I doubt that transfer opportunities would be great at someone below 25% at USF).
yeah...im thinking that i should just take the plunge with higher debt for a better school and not have the pressure of keeping a certain gpa....law school will probably put enough pressure on me as it is im guessing

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:54 pm

pamcasso wrote: yeah...im thinking that i should just take the plunge with higher debt for a better school and not have the pressure of keeping a certain gpa....law school will probably put enough pressure on me as it is im guessing
I chose Hastings over big schollies at Loyola and USD. I think it was a wise choice.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:33 pm

sent in my seat deposit

I'll try to make it out there on one of the ASD's, most likely in April
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lateforthesky16

Bronze

Post by lateforthesky16 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:03 pm

a male human wrote:I was deciding between Santa Clara $12k and Hastings full price. Faxed SCU a form to appeal for more scholarship yesterday >_>

I wonder if I should wait until March/April before trying to probe Hastings for any merit scholarship. It seems people are still being admitted, so they may not have the funds they already don't have right now.

i'm wondering the exact same thing. Any idea if they plan to send out merit money sometime, or when they plan to? I only see one person with merit money on LSN. I really have no idea when to try and negotiate. The thing is, I really want to go to Hastings, but I have two big scholarships (W&L and Illinois)...if I can get ANYTHING out of Hastings (even like 20k) I'll go there. Honestly, I'll probably go to hastings even if I get nothing, but I'll feel bad about it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

calgal17

Bronze

Post by calgal17 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:41 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:
a male human wrote:I was deciding between Santa Clara $12k and Hastings full price. Faxed SCU a form to appeal for more scholarship yesterday >_>

i'm wondering the exact same thing. Any idea if they plan to send out merit money sometime, or when they plan to? I only see one person with merit money on LSN. I really have no idea when to try and negotiate. The thing is, I really want to go to Hastings, but I have two big scholarships (W&L and Illinois)...if I can get ANYTHING out of Hastings (even like 20k) I'll go there. Honestly, I'll probably go to hastings even if I get nothing, but I'll feel bad about it.
I think 10K is the most they offer per year purely merit based. You can get more based on financial need. But yes, I would love to hear also! I got all excited yesterday at a random 415 number calling, but it turns out it was just the dance studio I go to. :(

vkw104

New

Post by vkw104 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:02 pm

If I were to pay sticker at Hastings, but be able to commute 35 minutes there by bus, would that be the better choice than USD (30k/year)?

lateforthesky16

Bronze

Post by lateforthesky16 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:09 pm

calgal17 wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:

I think 10K is the most they offer per year purely merit based. You can get more based on financial need. But yes, I would love to hear also! I got all excited yesterday at a random 415 number calling, but it turns out it was just the dance studio I go to. :(

yeah i meant 20k total! :) go bears!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:31 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:
calgal17 wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:

About asking Hastings for scholarships, would they mind if we ask them every month? Just to cover all the bases and maybe there will be funds available during one of the times we ask.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:19 pm

a male human wrote: About asking Hastings for scholarships, would they mind if we ask them every month? Just to cover all the bases and maybe there will be funds available during one of the times we ask.

who cares? your intention isn't to keep admissions happy with you. it's to do the best you can do... that includes financially.

calgal17

Bronze

Post by calgal17 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:44 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:
calgal17 wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:

Then yes! That would be awesome. go bears! :D

J Burrito

Bronze

Post by J Burrito » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:08 pm

So... My laptop was stolen last night. However, I did open a fortune cookie today that read "A letter of great importance may reach you any day now." Here's to hoping for GOOD importance! Fingers crossed for some good karma in the next week. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:18 pm

J Burrito wrote:So... My laptop was stolen last night. However, I did open a fortune cookie today that read "A letter of great importance may reach you any day now." Here's to hoping for GOOD importance! Fingers crossed for some good karma in the next week. Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
Hopefully something good enough to make up for your stolen laptop!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

foxyeconomist

Bronze

Post by foxyeconomist » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:25 am

In via snail mail today! (I submitted on 1/23.)

Hastings, you worried me with your lack of status-checker, but you've more than made up for it in fast turnaround.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:13 am

foxyeconomist wrote:In via snail mail today! (I submitted on 1/23.)

Hastings, you worried me with your lack of status-checker, but you've more than made up for it in fast turnaround.
congratulations brother (or sister)

PS according to LSN you should be getting admitted to tons of good LS's
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cale39

New

Post by Cale39 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:41 am

Goddamn Hastings is making me shit bricks everyday there's nothing in the mail. I went complete 1/13 and nothing yet .....

The way my cycle is going, I am going to be in the exact same boat as other posters. 12K at Santa Clara or Hastings (even if I got into Davis, I think Hastings would be more enjoyable for me, for a few reasons).

/random pointless story

Hastings, show me some Saturday night love, I need it.

edit: Go bears!

edit2: congrats to everyone who got in, esp the dude 2-3 posts above

foxyeconomist

Bronze

Post by foxyeconomist » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:06 pm

Borhas wrote:
foxyeconomist wrote:In via snail mail today! (I submitted on 1/23.)

congratulations brother (or sister)

PS according to LSN you should be getting admitted to tons of good LS's
I would feel more confident if I'd submitted my applications earlier. (They all went out the last week of January.) Also I got a 164 on my first LSAT and retook, which LSN doesn't show. If I knew schools were taking the higher score, I'd be more optimistic.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”