UC Hastings 2010!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LizBennet

New

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Post by LizBennet » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:35 pm

When I go on WebAdvisor and click on "Class Schedule," the only thing that comes up is "LAW*150*11 (15011) 1L BILLING CLASS." I noticed that the class numbers all have an "*" followed by 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. For example, when you search for first year classes and specify the section number, all the classes have that LAW*11, *12, *13... Does this mean I am going to be in Section 1, or 11, whichever? It would be nice to know what section I am going to be in early, so I could buy books earlier.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:41 pm

ozarkhack wrote:It's done. Paid deposit. Started apt. hunting.

See y'all in August.
congrats man, good to hear

LizBennet wrote:When I go on WebAdvisor and click on "Class Schedule," the only thing that comes up is "LAW*150*11 (15011) 1L BILLING CLASS." I noticed that the class numbers all have an "*" followed by 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. For example, when you search for first year classes and specify the section number, all the classes have that LAW*11, *12, *13... Does this mean I am going to be in Section 1, or 11, whichever? It would be nice to know what section I am going to be in early, so I could buy books earlier.
that's the same with me FWIW
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:04 pm

LizBennet wrote:When I go on WebAdvisor and click on "Class Schedule," the only thing that comes up is "LAW*150*11 (15011) 1L BILLING CLASS." I noticed that the class numbers all have an "*" followed by 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. For example, when you search for first year classes and specify the section number, all the classes have that LAW*11, *12, *13... Does this mean I am going to be in Section 1, or 11, whichever? It would be nice to know what section I am going to be in early, so I could buy books earlier.
They said sections won't be assigned until August, I believe, so I wouldn't count on finding out what section you are until they make it known to us.

l'uccello

New

Post by l'uccello » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:33 pm

does anyone know what we are supposed to do to waive the hastings insurance? the DUE NOW next to it in My Documents on WebAdvisor is intimidating/worrying me. just want to make sure i'm not missing anything

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:22 pm

l'uccello wrote:does anyone know what we are supposed to do to waive the hastings insurance? the DUE NOW next to it in My Documents on WebAdvisor is intimidating/worrying me. just want to make sure i'm not missing anything
I called them a few months ago and they told me that if you turn it in by the beginning of September then you'll still get the refund
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:08 pm

I've got one more parking-related question here. I hear it's generally not recommended to street park in the Tenderloin area as the not-so-nice cars tend to get stolen more often than luxury cars because of the latters' built-in security systems. Would it be recommended to bring a car up only if I'm going to park in a garage over night where I'm living instead of street-parking?

EDIT: I'm looking into some apartments in Nob Hill.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:00 am

Street parking in SF is a nightmare in most neighborhoods. If possible, I'd leave your car at home. A car is definitely not necessary in SF, and you'll be spending most of your time with school during 1L anyway. So you probably wouldn't use it much and keeping track of where you parked to avoid street cleaning tickets on a weekly basis will quickly become a huge pain in the ass, trust me on this. And overnight parking in a garage is typically very expensive, whether it's part of your rent or an extra cost.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:06 am

drdolittle wrote:Street parking in SF is a nightmare in most neighborhoods. If possible, I'd leave your car at home. A car is definitely not necessary in SF, and you'll be spending most of your time with school during 1L anyway. So you probably wouldn't use it much and keeping track of where you parked to avoid street cleaning tickets on a weekly basis will quickly become a huge pain in the ass, trust me on this. And overnight parking in a garage is typically very expensive, whether it's part of your rent or an extra cost.
Gotcha then. I'm guessing it's only if I decide to live outside the city during 2L it'll become more economical?

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:15 am

I haven't found having a car too difficult, so far at least. It definitely makes shopping trips easier. But, depending on where you live, it is probably unnecessary.

I'm in Hayes Valley, so I just need to worry about the street cleaning once a week. That seems to coincide with my needs for weekly groceries.

Come school though, it may become a bother, so there's a decent shot I'll give it up later on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:17 am

zeth006 wrote:
drdolittle wrote:Street parking in SF is a nightmare in most neighborhoods. If possible, I'd leave your car at home. A car is definitely not necessary in SF, and you'll be spending most of your time with school during 1L anyway. So you probably wouldn't use it much and keeping track of where you parked to avoid street cleaning tickets on a weekly basis will quickly become a huge pain in the ass, trust me on this. And overnight parking in a garage is typically very expensive, whether it's part of your rent or an extra cost.
Gotcha then. I'm guessing it's only if I decide to live outside the city during 2L it'll become more economical?
Definitely. You might then decide to move to the East bay or the peninsula, where having a car will be a non-issue. Or maybe you'll try to have it in the city then, but I wouldn't do that first, if you could easily leave it at home.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:33 pm

missinglink wrote:I haven't found having a car too difficult, so far at least. It definitely makes shopping trips easier. But, depending on where you live, it is probably unnecessary.

I'm in Hayes Valley, so I just need to worry about the street cleaning once a week. That seems to coincide with my needs for weekly groceries.

Come school though, it may become a bother, so there's a decent shot I'll give it up later on.
I do think having a car in SF is doable, how doable depends on how much it's used and where it's parked on a regular basis. But it can be a huge hassle (and expense) in SF that I personally would rather not deal with during 1L, given the choice.

BTW, I'm jealous of your Hayes Valley location, so ideal for Hastings...

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:21 pm

As already mentioned, unless you are in the middle or outter richmond or sunset, having a car in the city is likely to be more headache than necessary.

Sign up for city carshare or zip car, learn to use Muni/BART, and maybe get a bicycle and you will be set. If you need to get from point A to B in the city in a hurry, a cab once or twice a month is still cheaper than insurance, tickets, gas, and if you have it a payment.

I've been living in SF for a year about 4 blocks from campus (I'll be a 0L, it's just a coincidence, I didn't even know Hastings was there) - I'm on vacation right now but as soon as I get back I'm selling my car.

MD/JD2B

Bronze

Post by MD/JD2B » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:11 am

I may have space on my driveway for a car; I have a garage and the driveway is pretty long; 4 muni stops from Hastings (Forest Hill stop)-- if someone is looking to store a weekend car this could be a possibility. Send me a message.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:07 am

Would you guys recommend any neighborhoods that're close to school besides TL that are close to public transportation and markets/Costco? I've had people recommend Japan Town and Nob Hill.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:07 am

zeth006 wrote:Would you guys recommend any neighborhoods that're close to school besides TL that are close to public transportation and markets/Costco? I've had people recommend Japan Town and Nob Hill.
I haven't lived in either of the hoods you mentioned but I don't think they fulfill your criteria any better than some other neighborhoods around the city, though not any less either really. In general, the closer you are to Market and Muni metro/subway/Bart, the more convenient it is for public transit. Some bus routes can be incredibly slow and overcrowded, others can be OK, but I try to avoid buses at all cost. Almost all neighborhoods have some type of grocery store nearby, but there's only one Costco in the city and it's not located in a convenient spot for public transit, at least not to my liking. Otherwise, maybe search for Safeway locations, and look for the J, K, L, M, N, T lines to find a good area (for your above criteria). As I mentioned before, I think Hayes Valley would be a cool place to live for Hastings, it's close and there's a big Safeway nearby at Market & Buchanan, and there're a bunch of cool stores/restaurants/bars on and around Hayes St. Just note that I think there's a project on Fulton, not a big deal from a block or two away but I wouldn't live across the street from it if I had a choice.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:17 am

drdolittle wrote:
zeth006 wrote:Would you guys recommend any neighborhoods that're close to school besides TL that are close to public transportation and markets/Costco? I've had people recommend Japan Town and Nob Hill.
I haven't lived in either of the hoods you mentioned but I don't think they fulfill your criteria any better than some other neighborhoods around the city, though not any less either really. In general, the closer you are to Market and Muni metro/subway/Bart, the more convenient it is for public transit. Some bus routes can be incredibly slow and overcrowded, others can be OK, but I try to avoid buses at all cost. Almost all neighborhoods have some type of grocery store nearby, but there's only one Costco in the city and it's not located in a convenient spot for public transit, at least not to my liking. Otherwise, maybe search for Safeway locations, and look for the J, K, L, M, N, T lines to find a good area (for your above criteria). As I mentioned before, I think Hayes Valley would be a cool place to live for Hastings, it's close and there's a big Safeway nearby at Market & Buchanan, and there're a bunch of cool stores/restaurants/bars on and around Hayes St. Just note that I think there's a project on Fulton, not a big deal from a block or two away but I wouldn't live across the street from it if I had a choice.

Awesome, thanks!

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:02 am

Also, for those still looking for housing, in case you didn't know, UCSF Mission Bay has some apartments available for Hastings students. When I called them some months ago, they only rented their 4 br/2ba units (intended for 4 occupants) to Hastings students as a matter of policy. But the metro almost directly connects Mission Bay with Hastings, so it might be a good option. Plus, all of Mission Bay's almost brand new.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:39 pm

insurance fee waiver form still unavailable

or am I missing something
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LizBennet

New

Post by LizBennet » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:06 pm

Borhas wrote:insurance fee waiver form still unavailable

or am I missing something
Yea, it's still not ready. The website says "The Waiver process is being updated for the 2010/2011 academic year, and the details will be released after the student health insurance plan for 2010/2011 is finalized. The deadline to submit a Waiver will be September 7, 2010. Please check this page again for updates." Looks like they've extended the deadline since they can't seem to get a simple form together.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Guys, I just gave in and preordered StarCraft II :(

Anyone else want to join the below-average club with me

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:36 pm

a male human wrote:Guys, I just gave in and preordered StarCraft II :(

Where'd you order it from? I believe you can get it for about $45 from Dell after Bing cashback. Gamestop overnights it to you, or you can stop by there Tuesday midnight. Amazon.com promises to have it to you by launch date. Someone on slickdeals posted a photo of someone's SC2 received already.

I'm STILL debating whether I should get it. If I do, it'll really cut into an already tight schedule. Argggg!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:56 pm

zeth006 wrote:

Where'd you order it from? I believe you can get it for about $45 from Dell after Bing cashback. Gamestop overnights it to you, or you can stop by there Tuesday midnight. Amazon.com promises to have it to you by launch date. Someone on slickdeals posted a photo of someone's SC2 received already.

I'm STILL debating whether I should get it. If I do, it'll really cut into an already tight schedule. Argggg!
I got it from Dell without Bing cashback because I didn't understand the slickdeals instructions and I couldn't find Dell in the cashback store. I'm thinking I'll play through single player before school starts (my main reason for getting it) to get it out of my system.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:07 pm

a male human wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

I got it from Dell without Bing cashback because I didn't understand the slickdeals instructions and I couldn't find Dell in the cashback store. I'm thinking I'll play through single player before school starts (my main reason for getting it) to get it out of my system.

Dang, that's been my rationale too! Move in a week and a half before school starts, spend a few days exploring my city/area, and finish the darn game during my down time! Might as well finish the storyline, right?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:02 pm

zeth006 wrote:
a male human wrote:
zeth006 wrote:

Dang, that's been my rationale too! Move in a week and a half before school starts, spend a few days exploring my city/area, and finish the darn game during my down time! Might as well finish the storyline, right?
Yeah, the preview for single player blew me away more than the multiplayer experience (beta at least), TBH

maybesheis

New

Post by maybesheis » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:36 pm

I won't allow myself to buy it. Fallout New Vegas will be a big problem for me too. Must not give in.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”