UC Hastings 2010!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mosca

Bronze

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Post by Mosca » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:04 am

Last edited by Mosca on Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViP

Bronze

Post by ViP » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:11 am

Mosca wrote:
ViP wrote:
Applying early can only help you. It can't possibly hurt you.
This thread disagrees with you:
Cornell EA Deferred Crew
EA and ED are not simply "applying early." They're different processes altogether.

sball

New

Post by sball » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:15 am

missinglink wrote:
sball wrote:just the got the waitlist email as well (3.4/162)
I know they say not to do anything, but have pple sent in LOCIs?
I'd hold off until after May 1st, as they won't really need to dig into the waitlist (if at all) until after the deposit deadline.
thanks! :)

Sean1269

New

Post by Sean1269 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:21 am

Anyone know if the first deposit is due april 1 or may 1? So confused, so many different answers

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:48 am

4/1 for scholars
5/1 for people w no merit aid

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gobears09

Bronze

Post by gobears09 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:09 pm

Oh I actually did get a grant the other day... Is there a deadline to agree to this financial aid packet?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:19 pm

gobears09 wrote:Oh I actually did get a grant the other day... Is there a deadline to agree to this financial aid packet?
nope, just scholarships
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squirtle

New

Post by squirtle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:14 pm

anyone living at the tower?

I have never actually been there and I have no idea what it's like. Anybody know?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:28 pm

squirtle wrote:anyone living at the tower?

I have never actually been there and I have no idea what it's like. Anybody know?
I sent in my tower deposit early February so I'm pretty sure I'll get a room there.

I haven't been there yet, but a fellow on the Hastings 2013 facebook page posted these (sorry if you are a member there and all of this is superfluous and unhelpful) Some pics of the studio apartment. This is smaller than the one bedroom and two bedroom type accommodations... but there are smaller (!).

Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

squirtle

New

Post by squirtle » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:12 pm

Borhas wrote:
squirtle wrote:anyone living at the tower?

I sent in my tower deposit early February so I'm pretty sure I'll get a room there.

I haven't been there yet, but a fellow on the Hastings 2013 facebook page posted these (sorry if you are a member there and all of this is superfluous and unhelpful) Some pics of the studio apartment. This is smaller than the one bedroom and two bedroom type accommodations... but there are smaller (!).

wow, it looks pretty nice! thanks for the pictures

thischarmingman

New

Post by thischarmingman » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:36 pm

a male human wrote:
thischarmingman wrote:
Shellbelle wrote:Since we're on tower talk, anybody know if it's refundable if we apply and change or mind and/or don't get a spot?
if they cannot provide you with housing you get your money back. if you change your mind then you are screwed.
What's the point of the deposit then? What do they mean by "non-refundable"?
the deposit serves the same purpose as any other deposit. they want to know you're serious, won't waste their time or someone else's time who actually wants to live there. rooms are first come first serve.

foxyeconomist

Bronze

Post by foxyeconomist » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:33 pm

I put down my deposit on 4/1 although I'm not convinced. Apparently if you were offered a scholarship, both the scholarship and the seat evaporate on deposit day. My guess is that they'll start pulling from the waitlist this month and maybe send out more scholarship offers.

amb123

New

Post by amb123 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:28 am

I talked to the lady in charge of housing last week, and she said that they weren't even 50% full yet. That being said, I'm sure they'll be receiving an influx of housing applications now that people are really starting to finalize their decisions.

Also, I was a little disappointed in my financial aid package. I was under the (apparently false) impression that every student received the "Hastings Grant." At least that's what I took out of the admissions packet when I looked at the cost breakdown and it had the 10K Hastings grant on it. Does anybody know if scholarships/grants are offered after the first year to students who finish at the top of their class?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ek319

New

Post by ek319 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:29 pm

Echo much of what's been said re: Hastings grants/scholarships (or the lack thereof).

Emailed the office today, and I was told they would put my name into the system for the next round of merit scholarship evaluations, which will likely take place after the May 1 deposit deadline.

I'm a 168/3.5 Cal alum. Am I overly optimistic in expecting Hastings to award at least some sort of merit aid?

P.S. Anyone care to weigh in Hastings' "uber-competitive" reputation?

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:52 pm

ek319 wrote:Echo much of what's been said re: Hastings grants/scholarships (or the lack thereof).

Emailed the office today, and I was told they would put my name into the system for the next round of merit scholarship evaluations, which will likely take place after the May 1 deposit deadline.

I'm a 168/3.5 Cal alum. Am I overly optimistic in expecting Hastings to award at least some sort of merit aid?

IIRC that reputation comes from olden days, and it just isn't true anymore. Also, I met this random student at ASD, and he was very friendly (and talkative so I don't think he was trying to hide things).

lateforthesky16

Bronze

Post by lateforthesky16 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:59 pm

ek319 wrote:Echo much of what's been said re: Hastings grants/scholarships (or the lack thereof).

right on, I'm a 168/3.5 cal alum too! I emailed them about merit aid a while ago and never received a response. glad they wrote back to you though :D

2013esq

Bronze

Post by 2013esq » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:21 pm

I only got 10k/year. I was told maybe I could get a scholarship in the next round, after April15. But right now 10k isn't enough to pull me away from WashU's 33k/year offer.

Also, I have several friends at Hastings and they say it's pretty competitive. Not cut-throat but the school is full of people who didn't get into Cal or Stanford so feel they have something to prove.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:24 pm

2013esq wrote:I only got 10k/year. I was told maybe I could get a scholarship in the next round, after April15. But right now 10k isn't enough to pull me away from WashU's 33k/year offer.

Also, I have several friends at Hastings and they say it's pretty competitive. Not cut-throat but the school is full of people who didn't get into Cal or Stanford so feel they have something to prove.
I thought 10k was the max.

2013esq

Bronze

Post by 2013esq » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:25 pm

a male human wrote:
2013esq wrote:I only got 10k/year. I was told maybe I could get a scholarship in the next round, after April15. But right now 10k isn't enough to pull me away from WashU's 33k/year offer.

Really?! I got a "need-based" grant. But I could still possibly get merit-based? Although probably not with my numbers.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:35 pm

2013esq wrote:
a male human wrote:

Really?! I got a "need-based" grant. But I could still possibly get merit-based? Although probably not with my numbers.
Ohhh, if you got a grant, then sure I guess you could get a merit-based scholarship on top of it.

pamcasso

New

Post by pamcasso » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:53 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:

right on, I'm a 168/3.5 cal alum too! I emailed them about merit aid a while ago and never received a response. glad they wrote back to you though :D
i sent something about scholarships too but didnt get a response. do you think we're all considered for the next round of merit scholarships? or should i stalk them and send a second email..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stonepeep

Bronze

Post by stonepeep » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:10 am

ek319 wrote:I'm a 168/3.5 Cal alum. Am I overly optimistic in expecting Hastings to award at least some sort of merit aid?
In my opinion, yes, you are being overly optimistic in expecting merit aid. Hardly anyone gets any.
It's not true. That's a rumor based on the past, when the curve was harsher, and LWR was a curved GPA class that didn't allow online research. People are competitive in the sense that they want to do well, but there's little to no associated douchebaggery, at least in my section.

drdolittle

Silver

Post by drdolittle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:13 pm

2013esq wrote: Also, I have several friends at Hastings and they say it's pretty competitive. Not cut-throat but the school is full of people who didn't get into Cal or Stanford so feel they have something to prove.
This might actually be a good thing since it should produce more rigorous graduates, ultimately increasing the school's reputation and therefore the job prospects for all graduates.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:57 pm

drdolittle wrote:
2013esq wrote: Also, I have several friends at Hastings and they say it's pretty competitive. Not cut-throat but the school is full of people who didn't get into Cal or Stanford so feel they have something to prove.
This might actually be a good thing since it should produce more rigorous graduates, ultimately increasing the school's reputation and therefore the job prospects for all graduates.
I don't understand the "ultracompetitive" concerns. There is no way that gunners can undercut your grades even if they wanted to. And Hastings is so large that you can easily avoid gunner types in your social groups.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:21 pm

And the curve is more loose this year!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”