UC Hastings 2010!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tommytahoe

Silver

Re: UC Hastings 2010!!!

Post by tommytahoe » Fri May 14, 2010 3:12 am

missinglink wrote:Just received my fin-aid info: Your Financial Aid Award for UC Hastings is ready. ( --LinkRemoved-- )
OhWell wrote:Can anyone dig up the subject/address for the email that details the financial aid package offered? I accidently deleted it.
That should be the address from the lost email.

Hot damn. 12.5k Hastings grant. For anyone who is wondering if there is money off the waitlist, there is. This makes it infinitely easier to turn down 16k per year at U of Arizona.
Wow, I'm hoping that's me. Email 3 days ago, dirt poor, 37, etc etc.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri May 14, 2010 11:51 am

missinglink wrote:Just received my fin-aid info: Your Financial Aid Award for UC Hastings is ready. ( --LinkRemoved-- )
OhWell wrote:Can anyone dig up the subject/address for the email that details the financial aid package offered? I accidently deleted it.

Hot damn. 12.5k Hastings grant. For anyone who is wondering if there is money off the waitlist, there is. This makes it infinitely easier to turn down 16k per year at U of Arizona.
Congrats. I got nothing but the scholarship, which I appreciate but is only helpful to an extent >_< Mind sharing your EFC, how much in your savings, etc.?

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Fri May 14, 2010 12:20 pm

EFC = 0, less than $1000 of combined savings / checking, and 15k of undergrad debt. No other assets. Not a pretty financial picture, but it is what it is.

At least I have no debt from my grad program - qualified for scholarships and aid, so no extra debt beyond what I already had.

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Fri May 14, 2010 12:26 pm

missinglink wrote:EFC = 0, less than $1000 of combined savings / checking, and 15k of undergrad debt. No other assets. Not a pretty financial picture, but it is what it is.

At least I have no debt from my grad program - qualified for scholarships and aid, so no extra debt beyond what I already had.
Good, you're a case study. My financial situation is about identical toy yours, with $9K in undergrad debt. You are a good case study. Do you think your results were confounded at all by their looking kindly on you in RE: merit aid? ie, merit status boosted your grants, to sweeten thje deal?

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Fri May 14, 2010 1:54 pm

No clue about how merit might have played into it.

From the looks of your situation, you should be eligible for aid should you make it off the WL. But I've also heard to expect the unexpected with regard to grants. It's hard to know what it is about one's financial situation that qualifies or disqualifies one for aid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri May 14, 2010 2:01 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
missinglink wrote:EFC = 0, less than $1000 of combined savings / checking, and 15k of undergrad debt. No other assets. Not a pretty financial picture, but it is what it is.

Good, you're a case study. My financial situation is about identical toy yours, with $9K in undergrad debt. You are a good case study. Do you think your results were confounded at all by their looking kindly on you in RE: merit aid? ie, merit status boosted your grants, to sweeten thje deal?
just make sure you don't have several thousands of dollars in the bank... others have gotten much less aid than expected because they had money saved up (despite having modest incomes)
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri May 14, 2010 2:04 pm

Headybrah wrote:lol SF weather

spend a year there before you say that and don't think its going to be like SO Cal...

Wet, Cold to the bone and foggy.....

I love SF don't get me wrong but the weather isn't drool-able
It is to me. I hate heat and cold.

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Fri May 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Borhas wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

just make sure you don't have several thousands of dollars in the bank... others have gotten much less aid than expected because they had money saved up (despite having modest incomes)
Thanks. I'll move it offshore LoL
Actually, there's revolving debt, but scant revolving savings: like $2000 tops right now.
Never been so happy to live so far below the poverty line (ie, in school).

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Fri May 14, 2010 2:07 pm

sibley wrote:
Headybrah wrote:lol SF weather

spend a year there before you say that and don't think its going to be like SO Cal...

Wet, Cold to the bone and foggy.....

I love SF don't get me wrong but the weather isn't drool-able
It is to me. I hate heat and cold.
It's a pity Hastings isn't in Oakland/Berkeley. Right there is arguably the best weather in America, year-round.
SF is unpredictable, and maddening, and like 56 on a July day. But worst part is bringing half your wardrobe when you go to work/school/w.e.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri May 14, 2010 2:09 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
Borhas wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:

Thanks. I'll move it offshore LoL
Actually, there's revolving debt, but scant revolving savings: like $2000 tops right now.
Never been so happy to live so far below the poverty line (ie, in school).
yeah that was kind of my situation, though I'm much younger

23 years old in UG
EFC=0
UG Debt=25k
savings=1.5k (though it was just financial aid from school)

Hastings grant: 10.8k

my slightly educated guess would be 9-12k for you
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri May 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Yeah, I worked 2 years full time to save up for school, and I was rewarded with a big 0.

OhWell

New

Post by OhWell » Fri May 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Thanks a ton. And, I second the grant thing-- I think everyone can expect to receive a grant of at least few thousand.

fiftyonefifty

New

Post by fiftyonefifty » Fri May 14, 2010 4:06 pm

OhWell wrote:

Thanks a ton. And, I second the grant thing-- I think everyone can expect to receive a grant of at least few thousand.
that's a negative.

I have recieved 0 in merit ait and 0 in need based aid. My finanical aid package consists of only loans. sad day

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

a male human

Gold

Post by a male human » Fri May 14, 2010 5:07 pm

Got $0 grant as well...

And are we supposed to get confirmation of submitting MPNs?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri May 14, 2010 9:49 pm

I talked to the assistant dean for a half hour today =) woohoo@in off the waitlist. eff my life @ yet another thing to consider before I have my mind made up.

he said 20% get scholarships, 70% get grants.

RadMobile

Bronze

Post by RadMobile » Fri May 14, 2010 9:57 pm

sibley wrote:I talked to the assistant dean for a half hour today =) woohoo@in off the waitlist. eff my life @ yet another thing to consider before I have my mind made up.

Congrats!! That financial aid info is reassuring :)

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Fri May 14, 2010 11:08 pm

RadMobile wrote:
sibley wrote:I talked to the assistant dean for a half hour today =) woohoo@in off the waitlist. eff my life @ yet another thing to consider before I have my mind made up.

Except for that 10%.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri May 14, 2010 11:45 pm

missinglink wrote:
RadMobile wrote:

Except for that 10%.
and whatever other % is left out due to overlap.

MD/JD2B

Bronze

Post by MD/JD2B » Sat May 15, 2010 11:26 am

Just drove down from Seattle yesterday. Sunny, 70-80s for most of the drive until I hit the Golden Gate. There was the City in all of its beauty--fog sun, and 54 degrees; love it or be damp! So glad to be here!

pomfiend

New

Post by pomfiend » Sat May 15, 2010 9:54 pm

Did anyone who got the waitlist email this past Tuesday get an offer yet?

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Sat May 15, 2010 9:59 pm

pomfiend wrote:Did anyone who got the waitlist email this past Tuesday get an offer yet?
Well, I haven't yet...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Sat May 15, 2010 10:08 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
pomfiend wrote:Did anyone who got the waitlist email this past Tuesday get an offer yet?
Well, I haven't yet...
Looks like Clams and I got the email. Don't know if (s)he got in, or who else got the email.

pomfiend

New

Post by pomfiend » Sat May 15, 2010 10:27 pm

tommytahoe wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
Well, I haven't yet...
Looks like Clams and I got the email. Don't know if (s)he got in, or who else got the email.
I wonder why it's taking longer for them to contact people this time. I didn't get the email yet so I'm kind of on edge about this.

I hope they call you soon, tommytahoe!

tommytahoe

Silver

Post by tommytahoe » Sat May 15, 2010 11:25 pm

pomfiend wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
tommytahoe wrote:
Well, I haven't yet...
I wonder why it's taking longer for them to contact people this time. I didn't get the email yet so I'm kind of on edge about this.

I hope they call you soon, tommytahoe!
Well, I also made the assumption that the call should be a real quick turnaround. Somebody on this thread, several posts back, let me know that last year, not only was there no "set time" for the phone call, apparently it's not even a 100% guarantee.
So, I have no idea what will happen, nor how long it will take. I see now that there's no reason why there should be a certain time frame —I mean, we're going on one or two separate occasions of evidence here, so expecting a certain number of days might be just frustrating.

RadMobile

Bronze

Post by RadMobile » Sun May 16, 2010 12:28 am

I received the email on Tuesday and then received a call on Wednesday. I was on cloud 9. From the beginning, Hastings has been my #1 choice. It has been quite the cycle :) Good luck to those still waiting!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”