St. John's 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
barryb

Re: St. John's 2013

Postby barryb » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:30 pm

Does anyone have any info regarding if/what we are going to be reading before school starts? I have read on TLS that we are going to be preparing a book for the intro classes.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:06 am

I have a bunch of supplements for 1L classes that I am looking to sell. If anyone is interested PM me.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:07 am

barryb wrote:Does anyone have any info regarding if/what we are going to be reading before school starts? I have read on TLS that we are going to be preparing a book for the intro classes.

You'll definitely have reading to do before intro to law starts. Also, you will have reading for the first day of classes. I think we got our reading assignments sometime in late July or early August.

LessThanZero

Postby LessThanZero » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:02 am

Those of you who have completed the financial aid requirements (entrance interview and MPN) for St. John, do you know how it takes for UIS to confirm that the requirements have been completed, i.e., the requirement to move from 'Outstanding' to 'Satisfied'?

I completed all the requirements online in early June, but nothing has shown up on my UIS so far.

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:09 am

LessThanZero wrote:Those of you who have completed the financial aid requirements (entrance interview and MPN) for St. John, do you know how it takes for UIS to confirm that the requirements have been completed, i.e., the requirement to move from 'Outstanding' to 'Satisfied'?

I completed all the requirements online in early June, but nothing has shown up on my UIS so far.

I am having the same issues, but I am down to only two of the MPNs. I called the Fin Aid office last week, and they said not to worry - that all of the requirements will be updated "sometime in July".

stj2013

Postby stj2013 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:49 pm

Same thing here with the requirements still outstanding. Guess I don't have to worry about it anymore. If there is one thing a law school is guaranteed to not mess up, its making sure that they get paid, haha.

dsap45

Postby dsap45 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:43 pm

i called a couple of weeks ago and someone in the financial aid office manually made the change for me to make the requirements as being satisfied in UIS.

barryb

Postby barryb » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:19 pm

I have tried to call the Fin Aid office many times, but no one ever picks up. I called early this morning and waited for over 50 minutes before hanging up. Has anyone successfully gotten through?

Also, some of you might be interested to know that I have just heard from one of my friends that he got got into the PT program of SJU today after waiting since November. So, stay strong and have hope!

soos88

Postby soos88 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:47 pm

any news for waitlisted students?

barryb

Postby barryb » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:31 pm

soos88 wrote:any news for waitlisted students?

Yup, see my post above.

samiam123

Postby samiam123 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:56 am

Hey classmates,

Are the schedules finalized yet? It seems like I don't really have that much class-time (1 class three days a week and two classes two days a week). When I called about two weeks ago they said that the schedules should NOT have been posted as they are very tentative. Does anyone know if that's changed? Seems like a sick schedule if its correct.

barryb

Postby barryb » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:00 am

samiam123 wrote:Hey classmates,

Are the schedules finalized yet? It seems like I don't really have that much class-time (1 class three days a week and two classes two days a week). When I called about two weeks ago they said that the schedules should NOT have been posted as they are very tentative. Does anyone know if that's changed? Seems like a sick schedule if its correct.

Hey, are you in the PT or FT program? Also, go to Student=>Registration=>Student Detail Schedule. There you should be able to see all your classes, even the ones that you may not see on your calendar yet.

bulletreverb

Postby bulletreverb » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:41 pm

@ samiam123 .. i thought the schedule looked sick as well.. every week-ish that its been posted something usually changes around in the intro to law class days/times.. later, earlier, etc... every time into to law changes, i pray that the rest of my schedule stays the same, and luckily it has, so hopefully that part is set.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:57 pm

Here's the deal with your schedule. Intro to Law will take place whenever the professor decides. If I remember correctly it was about 4 hours a day split into two sessions.

As for the semester and your regular classes, you'll have 2 classes (4 credits each) that will meet twice a week for 2 hours each session. You'll also have 1 class (3 credits) that will meet for an hour and a half twice a week. Finally, you'll have a legal writing class that will meet once a week for two hours.

The time of your legal writing class depends on which legal writing section you're in (C-1, C-2, C-3 etc).

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:28 pm

To All Current STJ 1Ls/2Ls: If you are reading this board, can you tell us how many of your professors allowed open notes/books exams? Specific names of professors and details on what they allowed (casebooks, hornbooks, outlines, etc. ) will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks.

bex

Postby bex » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:41 pm

shutterbug wrote:To All Current STJ 1Ls/2Ls: If you are reading this board, can you tell us how many of your professors allowed open notes/books exams? Specific names of professors and details (casebooks, hornbooks, outlines, etc. ) will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks.

I'll tell you what I know from section B.

For the fall semester, Sovern (Civ Pro) allowed open book -- outlines, textbooks, whatever we wanted. Movsesian (Contracts I) definitely does not allow open book -- not only that, but you need to have the UCC and the Restatements memorized flat. It's painful, but doable. I think that was it for section B, but I can't remember if Lyndon allowed us to have anything at the exam for Torts.

For the spring, we had two open and two closed. Barrett (Con Law) didn't allow anything (although he gave out copies of the Constitution with the exam), and neither did Parella (Property). But Chiu (Crim Law) allowed us to bring in only our own outlines (no commercial outlines, etc.), the casebook, and a copy of the NY Penal Law. Last semester we had Sharfman for Contracts II because Movsesian was on leave for the semester to prep for his Law and Religion class ( :( ), and he let us bring whatever we wanted. If you have Movsesian this year, though, you'll probably have him for both semesters as usual (and you're lucky, because he's awesome).

A word to the wise -- don't solely rely on having your outline with you. You won't have much time to shuffle through it! Those 3 hours fly!

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:11 pm

bex wrote:
shutterbug wrote:To All Current STJ 1Ls/2Ls: If you are reading this board, can you tell us how many of your professors allowed open notes/books exams? Specific names of professors and details (casebooks, hornbooks, outlines, etc. ) will be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks.

For the fall semester, Sovern (Civ Pro) allowed open book -- outlines, textbooks, whatever we wanted. Movsesian (Contracts I) definitely does not allow open book -- not only that, but you need to have the UCC and the Restatements memorized flat. It's painful, but doable. I think that was it for section B, but I can't remember if Lyndon allowed us to have anything at the exam for Torts.

For the spring, we had two open and two closed. Barrett (Con Law) didn't allow anything (although he gave out copies of the Constitution with the exam), and neither did Parella (Property). But Chiu (Crim Law) allowed us to bring in only our own outlines (no commercial outlines, etc.), the casebook, and a copy of the NY Penal Law. Last semester we had Sharfman for Contracts II because Movsesian was on leave for the semester to prep for his Law and Religion class ( :( ), and he let us bring whatever we wanted. If you have Movsesian this year, though, you'll probably have him for both semesters as usual (and you're lucky, because he's awesome).

A word to the wise -- don't solely rely on having your outline with you. You won't have much time to shuffle through it! Those 3 hours fly!

This is great stuff. Thanks.

I am in the evening PT program, and am registered for Contracts (Kniffin); Intro to Law (Sovern); Legal Writing & Anal (Cunningham); and Torts (Simons Sr.). Are you familiar with Kniffin & Simons Sr. and what they allow for exams?

bex

Postby bex » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:01 pm

shutterbug wrote:
bex wrote:

This is great stuff. Thanks.

I am in the evening PT program, and am registered for Contracts (Kniffin); Intro to Law (Sovern); Legal Writing & Anal (Cunningham); and Torts (Simons Sr.). Are you familiar with Kniffin & Simons Sr. and what they allow for exams?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with what those profs allow on exams.

dsap45

Postby dsap45 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:56 pm

how is everyone going about looking for an apartment in the area (whether it be jamaica or another neighborhood)? i feel like i'm getting started on this kind of late and have been striking out with craigslist ads so far (5/5 scams).

LessThanZero

Postby LessThanZero » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:54 am

I currently have an apartment in Kew Gardens, which is about a 15-20 minute bus ride to St. John's. When I got the apartment over a year ago, I had to go through a broker. It sucked paying the fee, but even the no-fee apartments on craigslist ended up being listed by brokers with fees, so there didn't really seem to be any other options. Going to a broker was kind of hit-or-miss, so it's best to go see a few different ones and see what their apartment listings are like. Each typically can show you 3-4 different apartments.

legallyblondenat

Postby legallyblondenat » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:04 pm

hey guys, so I got a full scholarship, but when I go to confirm my bill it says I owe 21,000 somewhat dollars. Is this what happened to all of you out there with scholarships? If so, how did you amend the situation? Thanks loves!

RW65

Postby RW65 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:34 pm

legallyblondenat wrote:hey guys, so I got a full scholarship, but when I go to confirm my bill it says I owe 21,000 somewhat dollars. Is this what happened to all of you out there with scholarships? If so, how did you amend the situation? Thanks loves!

Does it show your scholarship? Tuition is due separately for each semester, so the $21,000 is likely you tuition for the fall semester. I had a similar problem with my scholarship. The financial aid office probably hasn't applied your scholarship yet. Give them a call or stop by to fix the situation.

bex

Postby bex » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:35 pm

legallyblondenat wrote:hey guys, so I got a full scholarship, but when I go to confirm my bill it says I owe 21,000 somewhat dollars. Is this what happened to all of you out there with scholarships? If so, how did you amend the situation? Thanks loves!

The amount of my scholarship showed up just this morning on UIS. Call the financial aid office in a few days if it doesn't show up.

legallyblondenat

Postby legallyblondenat » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:59 pm

thanks guys!

barryb

Postby barryb » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Don't worry about it...I still have this same issue. I called the Fin Aid office and they said not to worry about it. If you look closely at all the tabs in your UIS account, you will probably see that some of the screens show you owe money and some show you are owed money (assuming you gave the $750 deposit).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”