St. John's 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
legallyblondenat

Re: St. John's 2013

Postby legallyblondenat » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:12 pm

I am in section B! soo excited!

bulletreverb

Postby bulletreverb » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:53 pm

I'm in section B too. The schedule looks great! If anyone didn't see the schedule posted on UIS its a nice little calendar format. I'm very excited to move up to NY!

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:24 am

Got a call today offering me a spot in the PT program (I applied to the FT program) after waiting since October. Needless to say, I declined. What a ridiculous amount of time to make someone who applied in October wait.

Rebecca2013

Postby Rebecca2013 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:37 am

NYVA311 wrote:Got a call today offering me a spot in the PT program (I applied to the FT program) after waiting since October. Needless to say, I declined. What a ridiculous amount of time to make someone who applied in October wait.

At least you got some sort of call- I'm waitlisted and still waiting :(

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:49 am

Rebecca2013 wrote:
NYVA311 wrote:Got a call today offering me a spot in the PT program (I applied to the FT program) after waiting since October. Needless to say, I declined. What a ridiculous amount of time to make someone who applied in October wait.

Well I hope you get my seat if you applied to the PT program! I was just frustrated because I didn't get waitlisted and then get a call, I never got an initial decision until yesterday while people on TLS were discussing their class schedule already.

dsap45

Postby dsap45 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:31 pm

i haven't been able to access my email yet or get onto STJ Central. is anyone else having these issues?

Rebecca2013

Postby Rebecca2013 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:46 pm

NYVA311 wrote:
Rebecca2013 wrote:

Well I hope you get my seat if you applied to the PT program! I was just frustrated because I didn't get waitlisted and then get a call, I never got an initial decision until yesterday while people on TLS were discussing their class schedule already.

I understand your frustration!! Do you know where you're going yet? What were your numbers if you don't mind me asking?

bex

Postby bex » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:43 pm

All you section B people, I was in section B this past year -- great section! Overall, the professors were pretty good, you'll learn a lot. I've heard it's considered the "hard" section, whatever that means. I have no way to compare it to other sections, because section B is all I know! Good luck with 1L and enjoy the summer before you start!

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:52 pm

dsap45 wrote:i haven't been able to access my email yet or get onto STJ Central. is anyone else having these issues?

If you are trying to access STJ Central behind a firewall, that may be the problem. Something about the website's certificate (I am not an IT person) makes it impossible to access from work for me. But from home it works just fine for me.

But I have not been assigned a STJ email yet. My profile still shows only my personal email address, and I have not been able to logon with the email format they are suggesting.

Good luck to all who are attending - let's have a GREAT 1L year.

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:53 pm

Rebecca2013 wrote:
NYVA311 wrote:
Rebecca2013 wrote:

I understand your frustration!! Do you know where you're going yet? What were your numbers if you don't mind me asking?

Still waiting? I can't imagine your frustration! Have you sent in a LOCI? I was told that they send out acceptances until the day before classes start. Hope this is not in your case. Good luck!

RW65

Postby RW65 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:35 pm

One of you should make a thread in the TLS Class of 2013 Forum. It was helpful to have last year.

legallyblondenat

Postby legallyblondenat » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:09 pm

The email accounts for new 1Ls I don't believe are up yet. However, you don't need them to access the schedule. Here is what you do.

1. Go to St. John's Law website.
2. In the search bar type UIS.
3. Click on the first link that comes up.
4. It will ask you for your user id and pin which is your social and dob.
5. It will then say the Pin needs to be reset.
6. Call the number between 8:30 and 5 monday through Friday and they will reset it for you. (It takes 3 minutes)
7. Login to UIS using your social and new pin.
8. Go to the tab which says student.
9. Then go to the Third subheading in, which says Registration.
10. Click on student detail schedule or student schedule by day and time.
11. Hooray you know your section and your profs!

See you all on August 16th!

stjss

Postby stjss » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:06 am

Anybody else deposited and set to attend but still "not currently registered for this term"? :?

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:57 pm

stjss wrote:Anybody else deposited and set to attend but still "not currently registered for this term"? :?

Yes - count me in this group, but perhaps because I am a PT student? Maybe they are registering incoming 1Ls by section and not everyone has been assigned one. I am very eager to learn my schedule, though.

dsap45

Postby dsap45 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:19 pm

stjss wrote:Anybody else deposited and set to attend but still "not currently registered for this term"? :?

yea i get that message as well

luckystar

Postby luckystar » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:59 am

Section C!

bex

Postby bex » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 pm

I know I did this a few months ago, but now that I'm done with classes, finals, competitions, and 1L(!!), I'm open for questions if anyone has any. :wink:

allora

Postby allora » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:41 pm

dsap45 wrote:

yea i get that message as well

Do you have a hold on your account?

dsap45

Postby dsap45 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:31 pm

schedule finally came up today...section B

stj2013

Postby stj2013 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:57 pm

bex wrote:I know I did this a few months ago, but now that I'm done with classes, finals, competitions, and 1L(!!), I'm open for questions if anyone has any. :wink:

So whats the deal with this Intro to Law class we all have to take? Is it just fluff or are we going to actually learn things?

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:18 pm

stj2013 wrote:
bex wrote:I know I did this a few months ago, but now that I'm done with classes, finals, competitions, and 1L(!!), I'm open for questions if anyone has any. :wink:

So whats the deal with this Intro to Law class we all have to take? Is it just fluff or are we going to actually learn things?

Dear STJ2013:

I am interested in this too. I understand there is an exam for this class, so perhaps there is some substance.

Additional questions that come to mind right now. Thanks in advance for your help - I hope to reciprocate this time next year:

1) Do you have a sense about employment figures; RE: 1L summers, OCI, etc?
2) Can you provide an insider's view of Professors Kniffin, Sovern, and Simons (Sr.)?
3) What is the comradarie/competition like among 1Ls? Cutthroat or Friendly? Are there a large % of gunners?

Congrats again for completing 1L. Well done & good luck.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:27 pm

shutterbug wrote:
Dear STJ2013:

I am interested in this too. I understand there is an exam for this class, so perhaps there is some substance.

Additional questions that come to mind right now. Thanks in advance for your help - I hope to reciprocate this time next year:

2) Can you provide an insider's view of Professors Kniffin, Sovern, and Simons (Sr.)?
3) What is the comradarie/competition like among 1Ls? Cutthroat or Friendly? Are there a large % of gunners?

What's up shutterbug...I'm not bex but hopefully I can answer some of your questions.

1. - OCI is not going to be good this year. If you're not top 5-10% you really need to get out there, get experience, hustle, and network if you're going to get a decent job. This means meeting practicing attorneys from day one. Almost everyone I know has employment this summer, however most of these jobs are unpaid.

2. - Sovern is interesting, he will be difficult in class. When you go over cases with him, he goes in the order of the case, so it would be helpful to have a summary (brief) of the case in same order it is written in the book. His exam is fair, but his multiple choice is tricky. Essay questions will likely be Personal Jurisdiction and Erie.

3. - The students are really great here. Everyone is helpful, and 2Ls are more than willing to give advice/outlines for classes. Definitely study in the library as it is a good way to meet upperclassmen.

Any other questions just ask.

bex

Postby bex » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:05 am

RW65 wrote:
shutterbug wrote:
Dear STJ2013:

What's up shutterbug...I'm not bex but hopefully I can answer some of your questions.

1. - OCI is not going to be good this year. If you're not top 5-10% you really need to get out there, get experience, hustle, and network if you're going to get a decent job. This means meeting practicing attorneys from day one. Almost everyone I know has employment this summer, however most of these jobs are unpaid.

2. - Sovern is interesting, he will be difficult in class. When you go over cases with him, he goes in the order of the case, so it would be helpful to have a summary (brief) of the case in same order it is written in the book. His exam is fair, but his multiple choice is tricky. Essay questions will likely be Personal Jurisdiction and Erie.

3. - The students are really great here. Everyone is helpful, and 2Ls are more than willing to give advice/outlines for classes. Definitely study in the library as it is a good way to meet upperclassmen.

Any other questions just ask.

RW65 summed it up pretty well!

1- I'm very nervous about OCI. It'll probably be pretty rough. I'm not sure what the situation was like last year, but hopefully this year will be better. However, as stated above, most 1Ls do seem to have legal employment.

2- The only professor I had from that bunch was Sovern (although I heard Simons is hard). Sovern is alright as a professor, not the best. He's pretty funny and has a select few he likes to "pick" on, but not in a mean way. I strongly suggest Glannon's Examples and Explanations -- it got me through the class!

3- SJU students are the best! You guys are all in this together, so be friends and help each other out. Have fun when you can!

allora

Postby allora » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:22 pm

I made us a thread on the class of 2013 board, FYI.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=121370

onthemoney

Postby onthemoney » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:35 pm

Does St John's section stack?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”