St. John's 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
greg11a

Re: St. John's 2013

Postby greg11a » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:37 am

Nothing really happened to sell me, I was already pretty sure I would go there and save the money that I would need to drop at Fordham for the better career prospects. I just had some questions answered that sealed the deal. Also actually experiencing the drive from my house and how quick it was was nice too!!

My problem is I already have a well paying job so theres no rush to graduate in terms of making more money, but at the same time,I would like to get started this year and not push it back another year. I can easily afford the 20K so its not an issue of going into debt either. Part of me thinks it would be a valuable thing to mention in OCI that I have a full scholarship versus being able to say I have a partial, almost full scholly. If I knew for sure any experience or activities before law school such as 10 years as an engineer and/or the ability to say I went to St Johns due to a full scholarship meant absolutely nothing to employers, then I would definitely do this year.

greg11a

Postby greg11a » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:38 am

samiam123 wrote:just trying to get this thread to a twelfth page.......

And.... we're there.

LayingDownDaLaw

Postby LayingDownDaLaw » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:57 pm

I have a 157 LSAT, 3.76 GPA - wondering why St. Johns PT hasn't gotten back to me...anyone here have any guesses why I haven't heard back from them yet? Are they just that busy? I did apply in mid-March, but I was expecting a decision by now given the fact we are at the end of April.

longroad

Postby longroad » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:01 pm

LayingDownDaLaw wrote:I have a 157 LSAT, 3.76 GPA - wondering why St. Johns PT hasn't gotten back to me...anyone here have any guesses why I haven't heard back from them yet? Are they just that busy? I did apply in mid-March, but I was expecting a decision by now given the fact we are at the end of April.

i applied in november. haven't heard anything either. 156/3.6ish. i don't know whats going on but i feel like it has to be a good thing we have not heard back yet. ur numbers i would think are money for their PT. i applied to both.

greg11a

Postby greg11a » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:28 pm

At the ASD they were saying their applications and the caliber of the scores of people applying have gone up greatly over even last year. Based on last years numbers in the information packet they gave us, 157 would only put you at 25%, so even though your GPA is well above median, maybe it shifted up enough this year to move you into waitlist territory, or at least a longer review period. I submitted in early March but had a letter arrive at my house by April 1st with my acceptance, so they can be fast when they want to be.

greg11a

Postby greg11a » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:34 pm

I wonder if they would reconsider my scholarship if I went to the June LSAT and upped my score. I would have to put my seat deposit down before then though, so maybe I would lose my leverage in that case. Has anyone tried doing that before?

publiusjr

Postby publiusjr » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:52 pm

the one lady from admission is on maternity leave. I applied Late Feb and they told me it would take about 8-10 weeks.
2 weeks before they gather everything then about 6-8 weeks after that. She told me they always take pretty long.

MrSoOoFLy

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:05 pm

longroad wrote:
LayingDownDaLaw wrote:I have a 157 LSAT, 3.76 GPA - wondering why St. Johns PT hasn't gotten back to me...anyone here have any guesses why I haven't heard back from them yet? Are they just that busy? I did apply in mid-March, but I was expecting a decision by now given the fact we are at the end of April.

i applied in november. haven't heard anything either. 156/3.6ish. i don't know whats going on but i feel like it has to be a good thing we have not heard back yet. ur numbers i would think are money for their PT. i applied to both.

i was accepted on the 20th with a 157 and 3.8 to FT... i applied in late Feb.. i have a friend who applied in late Nov and still hasn't heard back so it's pretty random

NYCbound96

Postby NYCbound96 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:22 pm

I just heard from the admissions office that they're doing it by LSAT score and they're working their way down. Currently they're doing the 159s. HTH

florida12

Postby florida12 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:25 pm

NYCbound96 wrote:I just heard from the admissions office that they're doing it by LSAT score and they're working their way down. Currently they're doing the 159s. HTH

are you serious? who did you speak to and when? that strategy seems to be inconsistent with their whole "diversity" mantra, if its really true, that is a shame

MrSoOoFLy

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:30 pm

NYCbound96 wrote:I just heard from the admissions office that they're doing it by LSAT score and they're working their way down. Currently they're doing the 159s. HTH

doesn't make sense.. i was accepted with lower earlier this week...

NYCbound96

Postby NYCbound96 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:36 pm

MrSoOoFLy wrote:

You go there for undergrad, that might create different circumstances for you...

MrSoOoFLy

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:41 pm

NYCbound96 wrote:
MrSoOoFLy wrote:

You go there for undergrad, that might create different circumstances for you...

ah good point.. plus im a minority so that might have something to do with it...

NYCG8TR

Postby NYCG8TR » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:43 pm

If that's the case, then I won't here from them until about 2013 lol....oh well :D

MrSoOoFLy

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:48 pm

NYCG8TR wrote:

If that's the case, then I won't here from them until about 2013 lol....oh well :D

lol aw im sure you'll hear before the end of the month

LayingDownDaLaw

Postby LayingDownDaLaw » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:02 pm

greg11a wrote:At the ASD they were saying their applications and the caliber of the scores of people applying have gone up greatly over even last year. Based on last years numbers in the information packet they gave us, 157 would only put you at 25%, so even though your GPA is well above median, maybe it shifted up enough this year to move you into waitlist territory, or at least a longer review period. I submitted in early March but had a letter arrive at my house by April 1st with my acceptance, so they can be fast when they want to be.

Well, I'd like to know where you find 157 is 25th percentile. I see 2009 entering class profile from their website, and 154 is 25% for "all programs". It doesn't even break down the Part-Time vs. Full-Time. It just has Full-Time and both divisions, so they must have let in some pretty low LSAT's given the fact full time 25% LSAT is 156.

I'm guessing the GPA may be more given weight if needed for average to below average LSAT takers in PT program.

ManUdevil

Postby ManUdevil » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:20 pm

LayingDownDaLaw wrote:Well, I'd like to know where you find 157 is 25th percentile. I see 2009 entering class profile from their website, and 154 is 25% for "all programs". It doesn't even break down the Part-Time vs. Full-Time. It just has Full-Time and both divisions, so they must have let in some pretty low LSAT's given the fact full time 25% LSAT is 156.

I'm guessing the GPA may be more given weight if needed for average to below average LSAT takers in PT program.

I don't mean to respond for the other poster, but these are the LSAT numbers according to the ABA:

Full-time program (200 matric.): 25% = 156, 75% = 162, Median = 160
Part-time program (84 matric.): 25% = 150, 75% = 156, Median = 154
All programs (284 total): 25% = 155, 75% = 161, Median = 157

So for PT you are def over the 75%...weird you haven't heard back yet.

greg11a

Postby greg11a » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:48 pm

LayingDownDaLaw wrote:
greg11a wrote:At the ASD they were saying their applications and the caliber of the scores of people applying have gone up greatly over even last year. Based on last years numbers in the information packet they gave us, 157 would only put you at 25%, so even though your GPA is well above median, maybe it shifted up enough this year to move you into waitlist territory, or at least a longer review period. I submitted in early March but had a letter arrive at my house by April 1st with my acceptance, so they can be fast when they want to be.

Well, I'd like to know where you find 157 is 25th percentile. I see 2009 entering class profile from their website, and 154 is 25% for "all programs". It doesn't even break down the Part-Time vs. Full-Time. It just has Full-Time and both divisions, so they must have let in some pretty low LSAT's given the fact full time 25% LSAT is 156.

You are correct, it should be 156 for 25th percentile. However that is for combined, so for part time it should be less. Those are 2009 numbers. My point was that at ASD they mentioned the 2010 prelim numbers due to having so many more applications, they were more selective, so a 157 part time was near the bottom, as the medians for both part and full time were 160 or above. That may be the reason.

I am not saying you wont get in, but I think this year you may be closer to the 25th than 2008 or 2009 and that may be the reason for the delay, PT 25% could easily be 158 for this year.

florida12

Postby florida12 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:12 am

Just called in today, the woman told me the decision was in the mail and expect it in a week. They refused to me tell me via phone, said it was there policy and no exceptions. Did they tell anyone else over the phone?

MrSoOoFLy

Postby MrSoOoFLy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:11 am

florida12 wrote:Just called in today, the woman told me the decision was in the mail and expect it in a week. They refused to me tell me via phone, said it was there policy and no exceptions. Did they tell anyone else over the phone?

A lot of schools have the same policy... best of luck tho

ligirl

Postby ligirl » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm

Visited today and I'm reconsidering my decision to go to Brooklyn.. gah

greg11a

Postby greg11a » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:33 pm

Why would you choose St Johns over Brooklyn, did you get more money there? What about the visit could possible have changed your mind? The facilities?

audrey hepburn

Postby audrey hepburn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:48 pm

greg11a wrote:Why would you choose St Johns over Brooklyn, did you get more money there? What about the visit could possible have changed your mind? The facilities?

I'd like to know this as well

ligirl

Postby ligirl » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:55 pm

audrey hepburn wrote:
greg11a wrote:Why would you choose St Johns over Brooklyn, did you get more money there? What about the visit could possible have changed your mind? The facilities?

I have 32K to Brooklyn and full to St. John's so that helps.. and honestly I was just really impressed with St. John's .. I was expecting to hate it but the campus is actually really nice, the whole law building itself is almost completely renovated. The moot court room is the nicest I've seen out of any of the buildings I've visited. The area where the clinics are run is really nice, and they have a massive writing center. The only downside is the housing they provide is kind of far away and not as nice as Brooklyn's. I'm really trying to figure out if Brooklyn is worth the extra 12 grand a year.. they're so close to St. John's in rank now I can't imagine job prospects being THAT much better. St. John's alumni network is enormous.. decisions decisions!!!

RW65

Postby RW65 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:01 am

ligirl wrote:
audrey hepburn wrote:

I have 32K to Brooklyn and full to St. John's so that helps.. and honestly I was just really impressed with St. John's .. I was expecting to hate it but the campus is actually really nice, the whole law building itself is almost completely renovated. The moot court room is the nicest I've seen out of any of the buildings I've visited. The area where the clinics are run is really nice, and they have a massive writing center. The only downside is the housing they provide is kind of far away and not as nice as Brooklyn's. I'm really trying to figure out if Brooklyn is worth the extra 12 grand a year.. they're so close to St. John's in rank now I can't imagine job prospects being THAT much better. St. John's alumni network is enormous.. decisions decisions!!!

I think St. John's is likely the right choice. The difference between the two schools is negligible. There's something to be said for coming out of school with very little debt. I've heard that scholarships at Brooklyn can be difficult to keep. The top 50% requirement at St. John's is very reasonable.

Keep in mind, the moot court room and the clinical offices are 2 spaces you will probably never see during 1L (with the exception of the moot court room for meetings/programs). That said, I find the classrooms at St. John's to be nice and well equipped.

Any other questions just ask. I could use a break from outlining.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”