St. John's 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shutterbug

Re: St. John's 2013

Postby shutterbug » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:43 pm

Kevin3960 wrote:In today with $10,000/year via snail mail...

Would you mind sharing your stats and when you went complete with the app? Thanks!

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:58 pm

existenz wrote:Got in today. Full tuition scholarship if I stay in top half of class.
Submitted mid-Dec. 3.7/169ish.

Would love to visit the school, not sure if they'd pay for a plane ticket from CA.

Go some where better.

With those numbers you could be easily getting into schools in the 20s, and you could also easily get full rides from schools in 40s and 50s, possibly close to full ride from 30s schools.

Kevin3960

Postby Kevin3960 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:16 pm

160/3.2 went complete sometime in late October

dsap45

Postby dsap45 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:29 pm

is there anyone who submitted in mid-november still waiting on a decision?

howie

Postby howie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:07 pm

what do you guys think of st johns, it seems like a pretty decent school i am especially interested in the immigration clinic that they have. I am not to sure about the area, I have heard bad things about the area though. Also i have a feeling the studen body is not that 'unified'

chameleon

Postby chameleon » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:12 pm

howie wrote:what do you guys think of st johns, it seems like a pretty decent school i am especially interested in the immigration clinic that they have. I am not to sure about the area, I have heard bad things about the area though. Also i have a feeling the studen body is not that 'unified'

jamaica, queens. horrible horrible horrible

nyred10

Postby nyred10 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:13 pm

dsap45 wrote:is there anyone who submitted in mid-november still waiting on a decision?

I submitted during the first week of November. LSN postings from last year show St. John's sends out decisions pretty steadily from now through the end of February and even into early March. Not having heard by now isn't a bad thing necessarily.

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:51 pm

I have some questions for people that know the area:

I have been looking at apartment listings to try and gauge costs and the studios seem to cost between 900-1,100 dollars and those seem to be the less-nice ones. Is this correct?

How is parking at school and elsewhere (I mean is the surrounding area a lot of driving around looking for a tiny spot to parallel park in, or are the places to park?). How is the traffic?

What is so bad about Jamaica, Queens?

yourthug4life

Postby yourthug4life » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:17 pm

PhantaManta wrote:I have some questions for people that know the area:

I have been looking at apartment listings to try and gauge costs and the studios seem to cost between 900-1,100 dollars and those seem to be the less-nice ones. Is this correct?

How is parking at school and elsewhere (I mean is the surrounding area a lot of driving around looking for a tiny spot to parallel park in, or are the places to park?). How is the traffic?

I am going to the school for my undergrad and live about 5 min away by car. The immediate area isn't so safe at night but seriously where is it safe at 2 am in NY? I get constant emails from the public safety at the school about people walking alone at night and almost getting mugged. as for the parking i usually leave my house around 15 min before class, get to the school in 5, and it takes about 5 min to get some parking. People usually try to find parking right by the gate but go down one block next to the residential houses and you have all the parking you need. As for the house I'm not 100% sure but the area where the school is located is Jamaica Estates. That area is very expensive. Go down to like Flushing and you can find yourself a nice place to live for very cheap. Some people on my block have converted their basements and garages into small apartments and rent them out to mostly college students for about 400-800 (don't hold me to those numbers) a month. As for traffic it depends where your coming from and what time. Classes in the morning means you can get to school pretty fast if say your going from brooklyn, evenings will mean your gonna be sitting in your car for a while, and night will mean you gonna be getting there even faster than in the morning.

Hope i answered all your questions.

NJ914

Postby NJ914 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:22 pm

nyred10 wrote:
dsap45 wrote:is there anyone who submitted in mid-november still waiting on a decision?

I submitted during the first week of November. LSN postings from last year show St. John's sends out decisions pretty steadily from now through the end of February and even into early March. Not having heard by now isn't a bad thing necessarily.

Yeah, same here. Sent mine in on 11/2 and still waiting to hear back.

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:48 pm

yourthug4life wrote:
PhantaManta wrote:I have some questions for people that know the area:

I am going to the school for my undergrad and live about 5 min away by car. The immediate area isn't so safe at night but seriously where is it safe at 2 am in NY? I get constant emails from the public safety at the school about people walking alone at night and almost getting mugged. as for the parking i usually leave my house around 15 min before class, get to the school in 5, and it takes about 5 min to get some parking. People usually try to find parking right by the gate but go down one block next to the residential houses and you have all the parking you need. As for the house I'm not 100% sure but the area where the school is located is Jamaica Estates. That area is very expensive. Go down to like Flushing and you can find yourself a nice place to live for very cheap. Some people on my block have converted their basements and garages into small apartments and rent them out to mostly college students for about 400-800 (don't hold me to those numbers) a month. As for traffic it depends where your coming from and what time. Classes in the morning means you can get to school pretty fast if say your going from brooklyn, evenings will mean your gonna be sitting in your car for a while, and night will mean you gonna be getting there even faster than in the morning.

Hope i answered all your questions.

I have lived in Queens almost my whole life, and agree with most of what is written here. However - let me just say that the school is "not really" in Jamaica, or at least not in the part of Jamaica that anyone should be really concerned about for safety. You have to go 2-3 miles south to the area around Hillside & Jamaica avenues to find places where late night commuting might be considered less than safe.

The north side of school borders on Union Turnpike, and this is really on the Flushing/Fresh Meadows side. It is a fine and safe neighborhood. On the side along Utopia Parkway, the school borders on Jamaica Estates, which is very expensive and quite safe.

If you look around, you can find a studio or converted basement for around 800-900 per month. Many in quiet and safe residential neighborhoods where public transportation is accessible. The north side of Queens all the way up to Whitestone, where I live now, is considered quite safe.

PhantaManta

Postby PhantaManta » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:18 pm

Thanks for the answers!!!

I live in suburbs so I am not used to living in city. My main concern is the car situation. I have read it is better to have a car, and I want to bring my car, but it also sounds like a big pain in the ass. I guess I just have to visit the area and check it out --- but I am getting anxious about where to attend!

bjf

Postby bjf » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Anyone know how part-timers fare with scholarships?

audrey hepburn

Postby audrey hepburn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:45 pm

bjf wrote:Anyone know how part-timers fare with scholarships?

i got a full scholarship and applied part-time...does anyone know what a typical schedule is for part time day students?

bjf

Postby bjf » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:10 pm

Congrats Audrey! Thanks for sharing..

bjf

Postby bjf » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:08 pm

Has anyone heard anything within the past few days?

jcrisp

Postby jcrisp » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:38 pm

Ugh no. Really starting to lose it though. Been complete since 11/10.

knickfan

Postby knickfan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:17 pm

bjf wrote:Has anyone heard anything within the past few days?

Sometimes I forget that I even applied to SJU. I wish they didn't leave applicants in the dark about their application. Status Checkers suck but they're better than nothing..
Last edited by knickfan on Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjf

Postby bjf » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:48 pm

Yeah, it would def be nice if they had a status checker. Sorry you guys have been waiting so long. Hope you hear something soon!

engineered madness

Postby engineered madness » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:12 am

still waiting and i went complete early November. unsure about whether to attend, if i was offered admission, being that i will be commuting from Bergen County, NJ. Anybody familiar with this route and what it entails, i.e. how many trains, how much time?

bklyngreenlp

Postby bklyngreenlp » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:35 am

engineered madness wrote:still waiting and i went complete early November. unsure about whether to attend, if i was offered admission, being that i will be commuting from Bergen County, NJ. Anybody familiar with this route and what it entails, i.e. how many trains, how much time?

I used to live in Bergen County, but spent most of my life in Brooklyn. Trust me, you would need to drive. Taking NJ Transit and then a subway would take an eternity and cost a small fortune for monthly passes on both systems. Plus, St. John's is not conveniently located to a subway route, so you'd need to take a bus, too.

The campus is just off the GCP, somewhat close to LaGuardia. If you've ever driven to LI, you would have seen the school from the highway.

engineered madness

Postby engineered madness » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:38 am

thanks man. Christ that sounds horrific...

Jagg3003

Postby Jagg3003 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:41 pm

In yesterday with 35K a year. I wasn't really considering St. John's until I got the offer, but now I'm looking into it.

So, I guess the consensus is that you need a car in the area. Is it totally unlivable without one? As I do not drive...

nyred10

Postby nyred10 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:08 pm

Jagg3003 wrote:In yesterday with 35K a year. I wasn't really considering St. John's until I got the offer, but now I'm looking into it.

So, I guess the consensus is that you need a car in the area. Is it totally unlivable without one? As I do not drive...

Congrats! When did you go complete and how did they notify you?

Jagg3003

Postby Jagg3003 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:19 pm

nyred10 wrote:
Congrats! When did you go complete and how did they notify you?

Thanks!

I went complete in early December (not sure of actual date, I deleted the e-mail by accident, thanks gmail).

The letter came regular mail in a small envelope.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”