St. John's 2013

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dsap45

Re: St. John's 2013

Postby dsap45 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:23 am

bex wrote:Hi everyone, I'm a 1L at SJU (full time), and I thought I'd give you guys some encouragement as you seem a bit stressed about waiting on acceptances -- I just checked my acceptance letter from last year, and it wasn't dated until April 30. I don't think I even applied until sometime in February, and I also ended up getting a pretty nice scholarship.

I strongly recommend the school -- although it's pretty stressful now before finals, it's a great place and I've really enjoyed my first year. If you have any questions, please ask!!

Good luck to all of you, and I hope to see you around SJU next year! :D

have you had any luck in securing any sort of legal summer work (whether it be paid or volunteer or whatever) and if so, was this achieved through your own efforts or with the assistance of st. john's law career services?

Honikane

Postby Honikane » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:38 am

NYCG8TR wrote:
Honikane wrote:

Congrats!!

I hope I hear something soon (good news) lol...

Thanks and good luck to you as well![/quote]

One last question...when did you go complete?[/quote]

I applied March 18...wasnt really one ofthe schools at the top of my list but now that i have done way more research I am really glad I decided to apply.

iartest

Postby iartest » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:12 am

NYCG8TR wrote:Has anyone been admitted to their Summer Program?

I was accepted into the summer program and I confirmed my seat

greg11a

Postby greg11a » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:39 am

I just negotiated my scholarship from up to 30000 a year for PT, and got a seat deadline extension as well. They said they would not negotiate again. Given the fact that next years tuition went up 1600 over this year and will be 33210, and that I am confident I can add at least 1 to 2 pts on my LSAT score, should I reapply early next cycle and go for the full scholly? It could end up saving me 21000 total if the tuition goes up 1600 every year. So even if I dont get a good job, at least I would have no debt at all. I could also have a better chance at Fordham PT as well, which would give me much better career prospects.

audrey hepburn

Postby audrey hepburn » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:46 am

For bex: do you think it's doable to go to st johns with a 1 hour commute or not? I also want to know how the career prospects are (did you get a 1L internship, how about any 2Ls you know)? What are the class sizes? Also, any other information that you might think would be important in helping us make our decision?

samiam123

Postby samiam123 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:49 am

audrey hepburn wrote:For bex: do you think it's doable to go to st johns with a 1 hour commute or not? I also want to know how the career prospects are (did you get a 1L internship, how about any 2Ls you know)? What are the class sizes? Also, any other information that you might think would be important in helping us make our decision?

also interested in this.

also, would you even recommend st. j over fordham or the like, or are you just saying that you're happy there? thanks for taking q's...it always helps us 0l's

pink_law14

Postby pink_law14 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:41 am

praying that I will find out TODAY.

Complete since 1/27, and my friend who applied later than me has already been rejected! :(

good luck all who are still waiting!

NYCG8TR

Postby NYCG8TR » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:54 am

pink_law14 wrote:praying that I will find out TODAY.

Complete since 1/27, and my friend who applied later than me has already been rejected! :(

good luck all who are still waiting!

Thanks, I am hoping to hear something as well...

btw, have you had any luck talking with someone from St. John's on the phone?

cjr1298

Postby cjr1298 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:33 am

complete since mid-january, part time program, 162/3.4

bex

Postby bex » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:06 pm

samiam123 wrote:
audrey hepburn wrote:For bex: do you think it's doable to go to st johns with a 1 hour commute or not? I also want to know how the career prospects are (did you get a 1L internship, how about any 2Ls you know)? What are the class sizes? Also, any other information that you might think would be important in helping us make our decision?

also interested in this.

also, would you even recommend st. j over fordham or the like, or are you just saying that you're happy there? thanks for taking q's...it always helps us 0l's

SJU is probably doable with a 1 hour commute -- I currently have a 30-40 minute commute, and it's really fine. I know plenty of people who have an even longer commute.

In terms of class sizes, I think the entering class of 2012 was somewhere around 250. There are 3 day sections with about 80 students in it for all the core classes like Torts, Con Law, Contracts, etc., and then the Legal Writing classes are broken down into 4 subsections of about 20 students each. Most of the professors have been pretty good and are excellent in terms of office hours, emails, etc. I'm not sure how many students are in the evening section.

I don't have a job lined up for the summer yet, but I have had several encouraging interviews that I'm waiting to hear back on. The career services department is pretty helpful, and I got a few interviews from their job board. The school has an excellent alumni base. The market is obviously pretty atrocious right now, and I think there are a lot of 2L's who are competing for jobs that 1L's would normally have in a good market. It's pretty rough...

I can't really say if it's better to go to SJU than somewhere like Fordham because I don't go there, so I wouldn't know from personal experience. I guess things like money, living situation, etc. would come into play. You should visit both schools. But I do really like St. John's, it's been a good (albeit stressful) first year.

knickfan

Postby knickfan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:49 pm

i withdrew today. I hope I didn't make a big mistake

iiifly

Postby iiifly » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:20 pm

I got a good scholarship at Hofstra but I need St. John's to come through and start hand out acceptances already so I know what the heck I'm going to do. App was completed early Feb (PT applicant). I was only able to get a 1 week extension on the seat deposit at Hofstra and don't feel like dropping $400 for nothing.

Arghhh!

RW65

Postby RW65 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:54 am

Fellow SJU 1L here...

dsap45 wrote:have you had any luck in securing any sort of legal summer work (whether it be paid or volunteer or whatever) and if so, was this achieved through your own efforts or with the assistance of st. john's law career services?

I have an internship this summer with a State Supreme Court Justice. I mass-mailed ~150 judges in my area and got maybe 5 callbacks. Interviewed with this judge first and got an offer on the spot. Career services was not much help unfortunately. When I met with my advisor she was nice and willing to help, but in reality the burden is on you. As career services has told us numerous times, their job is not to find us a job (lol?).

I know very view people (1 or 2) that have paid internships this summer.

bex pretty much nailed it here. I also know a few people with >1hr commute and their doing just fine.

Getting a job is tough right now, whether you're a 1L, 2L or 3L. Honestly, I would have a tough time paying $42K/year tuition at St. John's right now. The good news is that SJU is generous with scholarships. If you are only paying half tuition or less I think it is worth it. The stipulations on keeping the scholarship are top half of the class, at least that is what it has been. This is fairly reasonable compared to other NY schools of the same caliber.

samiam123 wrote:also, would you even recommend st. j over fordham or the like, or are you just saying that you're happy there? thanks for taking q's...it always helps us 0l's

I'm happy at SJU. Would I be happier at Fordham? Who knows. You should take Fordham over SJU in a heartbeat if neither are offering you a scholarship. If you're paying anywhere near full price, Fordham is an infinitely better investment.

Trifles wrote:Do you live in the school owned apartments or have you seen them? If so, what are they like?

The school owned apartments are nice. 3 bedrooms with common living room/kitchen/bathroom. I think one of the bedrooms might have a private bathroom attached to it. Of course you'll be paying extra for that. Although the apartments are nice, they are quite expensive from what I hear. Off campus housing is available very close to school and costs roughly the same.

iiifly wrote:I got a good scholarship at Hofstra but I need St. John's to come through and start hand out acceptances already so I know what the heck I'm going to do. App was completed early Feb (PT applicant). I was only able to get a 1 week extension on the seat deposit at Hofstra and don't feel like dropping $400 for nothing.

Arghhh!

I would call St. John's and explain your situation. If they know you have a seat deposit due at another school they will put you towards the top of the pile. Just emphasize that St. John's is your top choice (if that's true) and that you don't want to spend $400 when you know if you get accepted you will attend St. John's.

Someone in the admissions office told me that this is okay to do. Also, negotiate a scholarship if you don't get one upon acceptance. They should match Hofstra.

If there are any other questions feel free to ask, I'll be around this weekend.

Lighthouse28

Postby Lighthouse28 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:23 am

Not that I plan on going to St John's, I already decided to attend UConn, but I STILL haven't heard back from St John's, and I've been complete since early NOVEMBER! What the hell?

audrey hepburn

Postby audrey hepburn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:14 pm

thanks to all the St John's 1L students for replying. I have another question- do a lot of students lose their scholarship after their first year? I have a full scholarship but one of my main concerns for going to st johns is losing that scholarship after the first year.

bex

Postby bex » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:19 pm

audrey hepburn wrote:thanks to all the St John's 1L students for replying. I have another question- do a lot of students lose their scholarship after their first year? I have a full scholarship but one of my main concerns for going to st johns is losing that scholarship after the first year.

I really don't know. As RW65 said, the criteria is top 50%, as opposed to many other schools whose criteria is top 25% or top 1/3 of the class. Maybe you could ask the admissions office what percentage of students who have scholarships lose them.

I'm also going to go out on a limb and guess that if you were awarded a full scholarship, you're probably very capable of staying well within the top 50%. :wink: Fear of losing the scholarship shouldn't sway you to the point of not going to SJU. I guess it depends on where else you might have been accepted and if you were awarded any money there as well. If, for example, you were accepted to Fordham with no scholarship, I wouldn't justify throwing the full scholarship to SJU away simply because you are afraid of losing it. A full scholarship is a huge deal, especially with the job market the way it is, and it leaves you lots of flexibility when you leave school.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:59 pm

audrey hepburn wrote:thanks to all the St John's 1L students for replying. I have another question- do a lot of students lose their scholarship after their first year? I have a full scholarship but one of my main concerns for going to st johns is losing that scholarship after the first year.

Roughly 50% of our entering class was awarded some type of scholarship. It is at least feasible that everyone will keep their scholarships, however I don't think it is likely. I know of a number of people who are here on full rides who are now almost assured of losing their scholarships. Keep in mind, these people were going out, not reading, and overall not putting much effort into school.

Also, if you lose your scholarship after 1L, you can regain it for 3L by finishing 2L in the Top 50%.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:23 am

knickfan wrote:i withdrew today. I hope I didn't make a big mistake

Where are you headed? If you haven't decided yet, what are your other options?

iiifly

Postby iiifly » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:05 am

RW65 - Thanks! Solid advice! Yes, SJU is my top choice. It's better for me in all respects (Convenience, Ranking, etc.).

I would love for SJU to match my Hofstra scholarship. But if I don't submit my seat deposit in one week, that scholarship expires. If this happens, would I lose negotiating leverage? I think I might drop $400 just to keep the option open (...donation).

RW65

Postby RW65 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:07 pm

iiifly wrote:RW65 - Thanks! Solid advice! Yes, SJU is my top choice. It's better for me in all respects (Convenience, Ranking, etc.).

I would love for SJU to match my Hofstra scholarship. But if I don't submit my seat deposit in one week, that scholarship expires. If this happens, would I lose negotiating leverage? I think I might drop $400 just to keep the option open (...donation).

No problem.

When I was negotiating my scholarship with SJU, I emailed my contact from the admissions office that was listed in my acceptance letter. I informed her that I loved SJU, wanted to attend, but couldn't justify the cost. She told me to fax over any scholarship offers and a letter requesting reconsideration. I heard back a few days later with a matching offer. Just make sure to let them know you have a deadline at Hofstra.

knickfan

Postby knickfan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:55 pm

RW65 wrote:

Either Brooklyn or Cardozo

RW65

Postby RW65 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:44 pm

knickfan wrote:
RW65 wrote:

Any scholarship? If you got into both schools, I would assume St. John's gave you money.

knickfan

Postby knickfan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:35 pm

RW65 wrote:
knickfan wrote:
RW65 wrote:

Any scholarship? If you got into both schools, I would assume St. John's gave you money.

thats whats so wierd..they didn't give me any $...i figured that if im going to pay full price i should go to the highest ranked. i wrote a letter to them asking for money and they refused...im guessing they saw my fafsa and determined that i did not display need (i am financially fortunate)

whats a guy to do?

RW65

Postby RW65 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:15 am

knickfan wrote:thats whats so wierd..they didn't give me any $...i figured that if im going to pay full price i should go to the highest ranked. i wrote a letter to them asking for money and they refused...im guessing they saw my fafsa and determined that i did not display need (i am financially fortunate)

whats a guy to do?

I think you made the right decision since you'd be paying full price.

samiam123

Postby samiam123 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:29 am

quick opinion from you guys,

fordham full price or st. j full scholarship?......also, i live in queens (about 5 minute drive from st.j). my main worry is career prospects coming out but i see that all the big firms do oci's at st. johns as well.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”