St. John's 2013 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Honikane

New

Re: St. John's 2013

Post by Honikane » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:21 pm

stj2013 wrote:
bex wrote:I know I did this a few months ago, but now that I'm done with classes, finals, competitions, and 1L(!!), I'm open for questions if anyone has any. :wink:
So whats the deal with this Intro to Law class we all have to take? Is it just fluff or are we going to actually learn things?
This class is VERY informative and not just fluff! I took it as part of the Summer Institute and think I would have been lost without it!

bulletreverb

New

Post by bulletreverb » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:45 pm

Is anyone here planning on living in Manhattan?

shutterbug

Bronze

Post by shutterbug » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:59 pm

bulletreverb wrote:Is anyone here planning on living in Manhattan?
I live in Queens, but I'll be commuting from Manhattan every night to school for the evening PT program. Presuming you are using public transportation?

bulletreverb

New

Post by bulletreverb » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:45 pm

Yes... still need to get an apartment and hoping it will be close to the F train.

barryb

New

Post by barryb » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:42 am

Hey all,

I am looking forward to meeting ya'll in August!

A couple questions:
1) There is something about laptops on the site, but I am confused. Do we have to rent or use a school laptop or can we bring our own?
2) Can students park in the lot near the school?

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RW65

Bronze

Post by RW65 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:57 am

barryb wrote:Hey all,

I am looking forward to meeting ya'll in August!

A couple questions:
1) There is something about laptops on the site, but I am confused. Do we have to rent or use a school laptop or can we bring our own?
2) Can students park in the lot near the school?

Thanks!
1. You bring your own laptop. I think only undergrads can rent them from the school.

2. Students park in the lot across from the Law School, however get there before 9 Monday-Thursday if you want a spot.

barryb

New

Post by barryb » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:05 am

Thanks for the info.

Has anyone heard if SJU stacks sections? I would be interested if those people with scholarships (of any amount) would post what section they are in. I am in Section A.

bjf

Bronze

Post by bjf » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:50 am

Has anyone that was waitlisted heard anything?

Rebecca2013

New

Post by Rebecca2013 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:42 am

bjf wrote:Has anyone that was waitlisted heard anything?

Still waiting! I'm pretty sure the admissions com. is on vacation till July 6th..

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bex

New

Post by bex » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:45 am

barryb wrote:Thanks for the info.

Has anyone heard if SJU stacks sections? I would be interested if those people with scholarships (of any amount) would post what section they are in. I am in Section A.
They say it's all anonymous, but I don't know. I have a scholarship and I was in Section B, but I really don't like to talk about it with people, so maybe I'm out of the loop.

bjf

Bronze

Post by bjf » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:06 pm

Rebecca2013 wrote:
bjf wrote:Has anyone that was waitlisted heard anything?

Still waiting! I'm pretty sure the admissions com. is on vacation till July 6th..
Thanks! Any idea what the odds are of being pulled off?

stjss

New

Post by stjss » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:55 pm

I have a significant scholarship and am in Section C.

barryb

New

Post by barryb » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:25 pm

stjss wrote:

I have a significant scholarship and am in Section C.
Ok, well that is good to hear... I only brought this up because I know of another person who has a (full) scholarship and they are in Section A as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stjss

New

Post by stjss » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:44 pm

Actually, now that I look at my schedule again it seems that it's been changed entirely since the last time I saw it. I'm in Section A :-/
Sorry for the confusion.

barryb

New

Post by barryb » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:15 pm

stjss wrote:Actually, now that I look at my schedule again it seems that it's been changed entirely since the last time I saw it. I'm in Section A :-/
Sorry for the confusion.
Hmmmm... that's not good at all. Can anyone else out there with scholarships confirm their sections?!

dsap45

New

Post by dsap45 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:24 pm

full scholarship in section b

stjss

New

Post by stjss » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:27 pm

For those of us who aren't paying tuition and thus might be less inclined to look for the tuition bill online...
Log in to UIS and view your bill. There's a "confirm" button you can push that will finalize your schedule and automatically mail it to you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

barryb

New

Post by barryb » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:37 pm

stjss wrote:For those of us who aren't paying tuition and thus might be less inclined to look for the tuition bill online...
Log in to UIS and view your bill. There's a "confirm" button you can push that will finalize your schedule and automatically mail it to you.
Cool, that must have just been updated.

Also, good to see that not all scholarships are in Section A.

Past or current students: Can anyone tell us what your experiences were with the following Professors?:
Christopher J. Borgen
Edward D. Cavanagh
Lawrence M. Joseph

Thanks everyone!

dsap45

New

Post by dsap45 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:56 pm

can anyone shed some light on how to get the st. john's email properly activated. my email address shows up in my UIS account and i do have access to STJ Central. however, once logged on to STJ Central i am unable to access my email and continue to be prompted with a windows live id registration page that refuses to accept my PIN as my password. thanks in advance.

barryb

New

Post by barryb » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:34 pm

dsap45 wrote:can anyone shed some light on how to get the st. john's email properly activated. my email address shows up in my UIS account and i do have access to STJ Central. however, once logged on to STJ Central i am unable to access my email and continue to be prompted with a windows live id registration page that refuses to accept my PIN as my password. thanks in advance.
Did you check this out yet?: http://facpub.stjohns.edu/~sjcontent/LiveEdu/Setup.pdf

It looks like you will need your Storm Card to be able to login. You need to go into school to get that.

stjss

New

Post by stjss » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:51 pm

Actually, I think I found my StormCard ID:
Open the UIS Tab
Under "StormCard" click on the "Mange Your StormCard" link
When the UIS Portal opens click on "Display StormCard Balances"
Your ID should be visible on that page

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

samiam123

New

Post by samiam123 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:07 am

Hi,
Are there any St. J students who were in section C this past year?

Can you give a little info about:

Nicholas Weiskopf

Vincent Dilorenzo

Elysse Pepper

Ettie Ward

Thanks!

bex

New

Post by bex » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:21 am

samiam123 wrote:Hi,
Are there any St. J students who were in section C this past year?

Can you give a little info about:

Nicholas Weiskopf

Vincent Dilorenzo

Elysse Pepper

Ettie Ward

Thanks!

I wasn't in Section C last year, but Pepper and Ward taught Section B.

Ward taught Intro to Law -- is that what you have her for? She was OK, kind of boring and she gave a TON of work for a pass/fail course -- way more than any other section. Though if you have her for Civ Pro, I've heard people really don't like her.

Pepper is a completely mixed bag. On the one hand, she's probably the best legal writing professor in terms of what you'll learn -- I know plenty of people who had other professors and just didn't teach half as well as Pepper. So substantively, she's about as good for legal writing as it gets at SJU.

However, she can be nuts at times. She's pretty funny, and anytime you see her outside of class she's awesome -- SJU has a Public Interest Auction every spring, and she got a pretty high bid from a group of students to go out for drinks. So she's generally pretty cool, but she can go off at any moment. She's not always clear on what she wants done in terms of assignments but expects you to be prepared anyway. And if, for some reason, she just doesn't like you, you're in for a rough year because she can be pretty harsh and sometimes outright mean. Just be in class on time, do the work, and participate when you can so that she won't call on you when you're unprepared. In short, you'll learn a lot with her, but it won't usually be fun.

bulletreverb

New

Post by bulletreverb » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:46 am

Random question for St. John's students or anyone that knows.... what is the printing allowance on campus? free? unlimited? I really don't want to buy a printer...

RW65

Bronze

Post by RW65 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:56 pm

bulletreverb wrote:Random question for St. John's students or anyone that knows.... what is the printing allowance on campus? free? unlimited? I really don't want to buy a printer...
Last year we got $40/semester. After that I think it is $.10/copy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”