Award for Most Precise Number Whore of the 2010 cycle?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MoS

Re: Award for Most Precise Number Whore of the 2010 cycle?

Postby MoS » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:02 am

No rejections yet, but tell me they haven't drawn a line
http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

bluejayk

Postby bluejayk » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:05 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:Hands down, no contest, most precise numbers whore goes to u. of georgia.

http://georgia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Excellent find, this is the best graph so far, thanks for sharing.

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:17 am

This one from last cycle is not bad.

http://minnesota.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:19 am

Hey guys, My name is Indiana-Bloomington, can I play:

http://indiana.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:35 am

Dwaterman86 wrote:Hey guys, My name is Indiana-Bloomington, can I play:

http://indiana.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/

You certainly can play! Looks like they don't have any admissions staff. Just 1 auto accept and 1 auto reject machine based on lsat scores.

Not that I'm complaining... Mid 160s with low 3... so I love these places. Thinking about applying to george mason now after seeing their love for 164+

Think its too late in the season for a splitter to apply?

oakroom

Postby oakroom » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:16 am

5ky wrote:If any school is the most number-whoreish, I take back my earlier consideration of Harvard, because it HAS to be Duke. The fact that they selectively choose people for PT from 170-172 with high GPAs (which all but assures admission for these people) based solely on those numbers tells me that the people admitted via PT, of which I was one, are admits solely on numbers alone.

And yet there is no shortage of PT applicants complaining that they were waitlisted despite their numbers, so maybe not.

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:31 am

Stringer Bell wrote:This one from last cycle is not bad.

http://minnesota.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0809/

Oh Minnesota, that stings. Although I think (I hope) they are accepting lower LSATs this year. UGA has been a bit ridiculous this cycle only because they are auto-admitting everyone with a 164+. I think it's great that splitters get a fair shot but COME ON!

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:34 pm

Everyone who says 170+ is a guarantee of admission at UVA, GULC or elsewhere, silence yourself.

>170 / <3
reject at UVA
WL at GULC

wired

Postby wired » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:25 pm

I don't think over a 170 is a guarantee so much < 170 / < 3.85 is a guarantee you will not get in. You could be a Fulbright Scholar with 169 and a 3.7 with internationally published research, and they would still reject you.

MoS

Postby MoS » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:33 am

acstas87

Postby acstas87 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:45 pm

PoorOrpheus wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:You are all wrong.

Hands down, no contest, most precise numbers whore goes to u. of georgia.

http://georgia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

:shock: ... :lol:
It's so beautiful.

Yea I'd say UGA takes the cake. It's weird to see that because I'm an undergrad here and they take anyone and just fail gobs of people out instead of setting a baseline for admission.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:58 pm

Hmm, I wonder if all the 3.5+/170 WL people still think UVA is the #1 numbers whore.

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:09 pm

hiro86

Postby hiro86 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:39 pm

showNprove wrote:This is not "numbers whoring," although it is far from holistic. If it was whoring, they would accept nearly everyone at or above the numbers they set.

Last cycle, everyone complained that UVA "yield protected" by waitlisting so many people with high numbers. Now people are complaining that they're "whoring" people with high numbers by accepting them all. By definition, it is impossible to do both simultaneously: you can't both accept everyone and yield protect everyone at the same time.

UVA appears to set a minimum GPA cutoff and a minimum LSAT cutoff. If you meet either threshold, you will be considered carefully. Just because you meet the threshold, that doesn't mean you'll get in--and just because you'll probably get into Harvard or Yale doesn't mean that you won't get in.

The process is semi-objective, semi-subjective. If you meet the threshold (objective), you'll be carefully considered under personal review (subjective).

That's a hell of a lot better than Georgetown, where a 170+ is a practical guarantee of admission. You all should be happy that you are not limited by a single test score or single computation of your undergraduate performance. Stop bitching.

This cycle is no different from the last. UVA and Penn are both doing a ton of YP. Just admit that you guys YP and get over it. You know that you can't compete with the top schools... nothing wrong with that.

jawsthegreat

Postby jawsthegreat » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:41 pm

hiro86 wrote:
showNprove wrote:This is not "numbers whoring," although it is far from holistic. If it was whoring, they would accept nearly everyone at or above the numbers they set.

Last cycle, everyone complained that UVA "yield protected" by waitlisting so many people with high numbers. Now people are complaining that they're "whoring" people with high numbers by accepting them all. By definition, it is impossible to do both simultaneously: you can't both accept everyone and yield protect everyone at the same time.

UVA appears to set a minimum GPA cutoff and a minimum LSAT cutoff. If you meet either threshold, you will be considered carefully. Just because you meet the threshold, that doesn't mean you'll get in--and just because you'll probably get into Harvard or Yale doesn't mean that you won't get in.

The process is semi-objective, semi-subjective. If you meet the threshold (objective), you'll be carefully considered under personal review (subjective).

That's a hell of a lot better than Georgetown, where a 170+ is a practical guarantee of admission. You all should be happy that you are not limited by a single test score or single computation of your undergraduate performance. Stop bitching.

This cycle is no different from the last. UVA and Penn are both doing a ton of YP. Just admit that you guys YP and get over it. You know that you can't compete with the top schools... nothing wrong with that.

They YP because if they accepted everyone with one number above median their class would have 600 students. What else are they supposed to do?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:28 am

The UVA trolling on this board is so entertaining. :D

booboo

Postby booboo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:16 am

Holly Golightly wrote:The UVA trolling on this board is so entertaining. :D

Hey Holly! +1.

adameus

Postby adameus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:16 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
hiro86 wrote:

They YP because if they accepted everyone with one number above median their class would have 600 students. What else are they supposed to do?

No, I'm pretty sure they yield protect in order to.... get this.... protect their yield. They limit the number of acceptances they hand out in order to make sure they don't have a class of 600 students.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:27 pm

wired wrote:I don't think over a 170 is a guarantee so much < 170 / < 3.85 is a guarantee you will not get in. You could be a Fulbright Scholar with 169 and a 3.7 with internationally published research, and they would still reject you.

QFT. At least they're straightforward about it. You want in? Have >170 and >3.84. You are essentially guaranteed acceptance if you do. If one of those two numbers is on the wrong side of the > at this point in the cycle, you're late to the party and the bouncers are just getting warmed up. It's not YP if one of your numbers is below median, it's MP. Just because Columbia wants your 175/3.7 doesn't mean UVa (and their crazy high GPA median) does. Don't hate the player, hate the gaming :lol:

Compaq1984

Postby Compaq1984 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:17 pm

this is def. not a comparable school to harvard, UVA, etc.. but PSU/DICKinson is def turning into a number whore... WL people above both medians (157/3.3) despite being a regional school with no real job market to dominate.... http://pennstate.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”