Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawschoolgiant
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby lawschoolgiant » Wed May 05, 2010 6:34 pm

x3jessica3x wrote:
Lawof_theLand wrote:
x3jessica3x wrote:Has anyone here still not heard a word from FIU? Aside from the status checker e-mail nothing has changed for me. My status has been listed as complete since March 16. Has anyone else here seen theirs change to under review before DLIT? When I e-mailed them I was told decision would be made 4-6 weeks after going complete..It has definitely been enough time..any info?


Check whatever e-mail address you put in your application, and the "junk mail" folder just in case. Yesterday afternoon they sent out an invitation to a BBQ on the 15th for admitted students. The e-mail says that some may have received the e-mail prior to the official notification, in which case the official notification is in the mail.


No e-mail thus far and still no change in my status. I'm wondering if I should just call or something. Starting to get pretty worried about it. Did anyones status ever change to under review at any point? Also, I am wondering if they are still sending out BBQ invites..I really want to go to FIU



status checker is brand new so many people do not have experience with it, calling will not help (trust me I called a few times) They wouldn't say anything even when I was accepted and hadn't been notified. What are your numbers, just to let you know this cycle is much more competitive for FIU than last year, they cut enrolled a lot...and much higher LSAT avg. 2 points or so than last year it looks from LSN, but we will see.

x3jessica3x
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:12 am

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby x3jessica3x » Wed May 05, 2010 6:34 pm

Also anyone know the deposit dates?

lawschoolgiant
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby lawschoolgiant » Wed May 05, 2010 6:39 pm

are clubs very active on campus?

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby rbgrocio » Wed May 05, 2010 6:51 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:are clubs very active on campus?



LOL... I'm not a good person to ask because I'm not a member of any. A lot of people would disagree with this because networking is an important part of law school, but I recommend not joining anything that requires going to a lot of meetings at least the first semester of law school. The only thing I'm planning on joining is law review, and that's if they take me. I think the first semester you need to concentrate on defeating a horrible curb that places quite a few people on probation or academic supervision.

lawschoolgiant
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby lawschoolgiant » Wed May 05, 2010 7:12 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:are clubs very active on campus?



LOL... I'm not a good person to ask because I'm not a member of any. A lot of people would disagree with this because networking is an important part of law school, but I recommend not joining anything that requires going to a lot of meetings at least the first semester of law school. The only thing I'm planning on joining is law review, and that's if they take me. I think the first semester you need to concentrate on defeating a horrible curb that places quite a few people on probation or academic supervision.



I have heard to avoid 1L just curious, as far as Law review, I head that even if you are #1 in the class you have to write on. Can you give me some insight into the selection process, also if you know anything about the PT program and Law Review I would appreciate the insight.

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby rbgrocio » Wed May 05, 2010 7:26 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:are clubs very active on campus?



LOL... I'm not a good person to ask because I'm not a member of any. A lot of people would disagree with this because networking is an important part of law school, but I recommend not joining anything that requires going to a lot of meetings at least the first semester of law school. The only thing I'm planning on joining is law review, and that's if they take me. I think the first semester you need to concentrate on defeating a horrible curb that places quite a few people on probation or academic supervision.



I have heard to avoid 1L just curious, as far as Law review, I head that even if you are #1 in the class you have to write on. Can you give me some insight into the selection process, also if you know anything about the PT program and Law Review I would appreciate the insight.



I'm not familiar with the PT program, but I think you guys get to try on after your second semester even though you have not completed your second year. Everyone has to write on even if you are number 1 or 2. They do not have a cap, as of right now, on how many people they choose. There are not that many students at FIU law, so basically if you do a good job they will take you. Last year I think they took 25 ppl.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby gdane » Wed May 05, 2010 7:27 pm

Lawschoolgiant, for someone thats going to FIU law, you know seem to know very little about it. There's a link at the bottom with info about Law Review. Id recommend reading through the entire site to familiarize yourself with the program.

In regards to FIU Law/FIU gear, just get them at the bookstore. Keep that revenue inschool, dont give it some store in coral gables. Lord knows only the other school in that area will benefit...

--LinkRemoved--

lawschoolgiant
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby lawschoolgiant » Wed May 05, 2010 8:55 pm

gdane5 wrote:Lawschoolgiant, for someone thats going to FIU law, you know seem to know very little about it. There's a link at the bottom with info about Law Review. Id recommend reading through the entire site to familiarize yourself with the program.

In regards to FIU Law/FIU gear, just get them at the bookstore. Keep that revenue inschool, dont give it some store in coral gables. Lord knows only the other school in that area will benefit...

--LinkRemoved--


I have read it before thanks. I wanted to know specifically if anyone has firsthand experience.

User avatar
Lawof_theLand
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:10 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby Lawof_theLand » Wed May 05, 2010 9:25 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:ANYONE PREPPING FOR 1L


I've been reading a lot of history of law and legal philosophy. Not so much as prep specifically for law school, but to be able to put everything in some context.

I started looking into how customs and tribal rules are structured in native cultures.

Then I read up on early Babylonian, Druid, Greek, Roman, Indian, and Chinese legal traditions. Classical Roman Law and then the Theodosian and Justinian codes.

The development of the English common law system, and the emergence of all the clashing juristic philosphies following the Norman invasion that we see playing out to this day.

I've also been listening to recorded oral arguments of interesting cases, and reviewing the filings so I can follow along.

I'm currently reading "1000 Days to the Bar".

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby gdane » Wed May 05, 2010 9:31 pm

Im not sure if you're serious or not, but just take it easy. If its not bothering you cool, but dont do force this on yourself. Pretty sure its not going to help you much come law school time.

User avatar
flhealth
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby flhealth » Wed May 05, 2010 11:57 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:what do you mean I already read all the hornbooks and E&E's ever written twice....overkill? haha. I am reading just a few easy reading nonfiction and fiction books about law and law school. Nothing substantive and only because I find it interesting.

listen to rbgrocio...she's near the top of the class, she knows what she's talking about...you'll only confuse yourself if you get yourself ready...its like training yourself to work at the nuclear power plant (Simpson's :D ) trust me.

User avatar
flhealth
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby flhealth » Thu May 06, 2010 12:00 am

gdane5 wrote:Lawschoolgiant, for someone thats going to FIU law, you know seem to know very little about it. There's a link at the bottom with info about Law Review. Id recommend reading through the entire site to familiarize yourself with the program.

In regards to FIU Law/FIU gear, just get them at the bookstore. Keep that revenue inschool, dont give it some store in coral gables. Lord knows only the other school in that area will benefit...

--LinkRemoved--

the campus bookstore does NOT have FIU LAW gear...you have to get that stuff at book horizons (SBA tables it in the lounge a couple of times a year too)

lawschoolgiant
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby lawschoolgiant » Thu May 06, 2010 12:06 am

flhealth wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:what do you mean I already read all the hornbooks and E&E's ever written twice....overkill? haha. I am reading just a few easy reading nonfiction and fiction books about law and law school. Nothing substantive and only because I find it interesting.

listen to rbgrocio...she's near the top of the class, she knows what she's talking about...you'll only confuse yourself if you get yourself ready...its like training yourself to work at the nuclear power plant (Simpson's :D ) trust me.



I believe you. thanks for the advice on the gear. I am excited about school, but much more about the delayed honeymoon I am going to take with my wife....fun summer here I come.

User avatar
flhealth
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:28 am

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby flhealth » Thu May 06, 2010 12:50 am

lawschoolgiant wrote:
flhealth wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:what do you mean I already read all the hornbooks and E&E's ever written twice....overkill? haha. I am reading just a few easy reading nonfiction and fiction books about law and law school. Nothing substantive and only because I find it interesting.

listen to rbgrocio...she's near the top of the class, she knows what she's talking about...you'll only confuse yourself if you get yourself ready...its like training yourself to work at the nuclear power plant (Simpson's :D ) trust me.



I believe you. thanks for the advice on the gear. I am excited about school, but much more about the delayed honeymoon I am going to take with my wife....fun summer here I come.

the one thing i will say...allow yourself to "admire" the Constitution...that is the ONE thing that would have helped me prepare...don't try to interpret it, leave that for law school...but it would have helped if i knew what article V said before i got to law school, or knew where privileges AND immunities is located in the document as opposed to where privileges OR immunities is located...most schools do ConLaw second semester, FIU does it the first semester...so it couldnt hurt to get familiar with the CONTENT not the interpretation...hope that helps

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby rbgrocio » Thu May 06, 2010 4:26 pm

flhealth wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:
flhealth wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:what do you mean I already read all the hornbooks and E&E's ever written twice....overkill? haha. I am reading just a few easy reading nonfiction and fiction books about law and law school. Nothing substantive and only because I find it interesting.

listen to rbgrocio...she's near the top of the class, she knows what she's talking about...you'll only confuse yourself if you get yourself ready...its like training yourself to work at the nuclear power plant (Simpson's :D ) trust me.



I believe you. thanks for the advice on the gear. I am excited about school, but much more about the delayed honeymoon I am going to take with my wife....fun summer here I come.

the one thing i will say...allow yourself to "admire" the Constitution...that is the ONE thing that would have helped me prepare...don't try to interpret it, leave that for law school...but it would have helped if i knew what article V said before i got to law school, or knew where privileges AND immunities is located in the document as opposed to where privileges OR immunities is located...most schools do ConLaw second semester, FIU does it the first semester...so it couldnt hurt to get familiar with the CONTENT not the interpretation...hope that helps



lol... Maybe I should have done that and Con. Law would not have been my worst grade!!! lol. I hate Con. Law... but I'm biased just because I didn't do as well in it.

I'm totally losing my spot this semester... I am walking out of each final feeling like caca!

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby gdane » Fri May 07, 2010 12:40 pm

RBGrocio, thats not good. Im sure you did well. If you are at the top of your class thus far, you should be able to continue the trend.

Did you go to FIU? Were you a political science major like me and the other 100,000 students at FIU? Haha.

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby rbgrocio » Fri May 07, 2010 1:49 pm

gdane5 wrote:RBGrocio, thats not good. Im sure you did well. If you are at the top of your class thus far, you should be able to continue the trend.

Did you go to FIU? Were you a political science major like me and the other 100,000 students at FIU? Haha.


I went to FIU but did journalism and a minor in spanish. I did college in two years cuz i was dying to leave fiu and somehow i ended up choosing fiu for law school over the other schools. lol

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby gdane » Fri May 07, 2010 2:10 pm

Hahaha. I hear you. FIU wasnt that bad, I actually enjoyed going there, but Miami is terrible. Hence, why I cant wait to get out of here.

I knew a girl that went to FIU and did journalism. I think she goes to FIU law now too. Not sure. Oh well.

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby rbgrocio » Fri May 07, 2010 5:16 pm

gdane5 wrote:Hahaha. I hear you. FIU wasnt that bad, I actually enjoyed going there, but Miami is terrible. Hence, why I cant wait to get out of here.

I knew a girl that went to FIU and did journalism. I think she goes to FIU law now too. Not sure. Oh well.



Is her name Jessica?

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12279
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby gdane » Fri May 07, 2010 6:47 pm

I think so. Im torn between Jessica and Jennifer. Name started with a "Je" for sure. I want to say Jessica, but the only reason I want to say that is because to me the name Jessica is synonymous with Jessica the Hippo. So whenever I hear Jessica, that name just sticks in my head. Strange, I know.

In any case, it seems like you know who Im talking about. She was a smart girl, so I hope she's doing well.

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby rbgrocio » Fri May 07, 2010 7:38 pm

gdane5 wrote:I think so. Im torn between Jessica and Jennifer. Name started with a "Je" for sure. I want to say Jessica, but the only reason I want to say that is because to me the name Jessica is synonymous with Jessica the Hippo. So whenever I hear Jessica, that name just sticks in my head. Strange, I know.

In any case, it seems like you know who Im talking about. She was a smart girl, so I hope she's doing well.


Yeah... If her name is Jessica, she is the one in my class. She did Journalism.... She is a smart girl. I think she is doing well..

x3jessica3x
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:12 am

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby x3jessica3x » Sat May 08, 2010 11:44 am

lawschoolgiant wrote:
x3jessica3x wrote:
Lawof_theLand wrote:
x3jessica3x wrote:Has anyone here still not heard a word from FIU? Aside from the status checker e-mail nothing has changed for me. My status has been listed as complete since March 16. Has anyone else here seen theirs change to under review before DLIT? When I e-mailed them I was told decision would be made 4-6 weeks after going complete..It has definitely been enough time..any info?


Check whatever e-mail address you put in your application, and the "junk mail" folder just in case. Yesterday afternoon they sent out an invitation to a BBQ on the 15th for admitted students. The e-mail says that some may have received the e-mail prior to the official notification, in which case the official notification is in the mail.


No e-mail thus far and still no change in my status. I'm wondering if I should just call or something. Starting to get pretty worried about it. Did anyones status ever change to under review at any point? Also, I am wondering if they are still sending out BBQ invites..I really want to go to FIU



status checker is brand new so many people do not have experience with it, calling will not help (trust me I called a few times) They wouldn't say anything even when I was accepted and hadn't been notified. What are your numbers, just to let you know this cycle is much more competitive for FIU than last year, they cut enrolled a lot...and much higher LSAT avg. 2 points or so than last year it looks from LSN, but we will see.


154/3.56 went to FIU undergrad.

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby rbgrocio » Mon May 10, 2010 9:24 pm

154/3.56 went to FIU undergrad.[/quote]

Ur totally getting in.

lawschoolgiant
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby lawschoolgiant » Mon May 10, 2010 9:43 pm

rbgrocio wrote:154/3.56 went to FIU undergrad.


Ur totally getting in.[/quote]


I hope so because it seems she really wants to, but on LSN they turned down some 154's or WL them. GL though! Tougher standards than last year

User avatar
rbgrocio
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby rbgrocio » Mon May 10, 2010 9:55 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:154/3.56 went to FIU undergrad.


Ur totally getting in.



I hope so because it seems she really wants to, but on LSN they turned down some 154's or WL them. GL though! Tougher standards than last year[/quote]


FIU has to step it up if they want to get out of the fourth tier hole. I was talking to one of my professors the other day, and with the economy they have had to let go of some faculty, which has yet to be replaced. The teacher to student ratio is not in good shape, and they are trying to work on that. I still think though that her numbers are good enough for FIU standards.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, Baby Gaga, cephaschen, chasima, criley01, guybourdin, Mia93, notausername, piesandcookies, potterotter, Snowjon, vho1791 and 21 guests