Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lawof_theLand

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby Lawof_theLand » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:23 pm

Snail mail. The only ones I've heard of going out by e-mail were when they were running up against the deadline for the RSVP to the Admitted Students BBQ last month.

I'd suggest calling them and asking them if they could send it by e-mail as well. I had a very short turnaround to get the deposit in.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:01 pm

You can call them and ask if you have been accepted. That's how I found out.

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:22 pm

rbgrocio wrote:You can call them and ask if you have been accepted. That's how I found out.

I have information that does not agree with this statement. They said they would not tell me over the phone.

melyanair

Postby melyanair » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:29 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:You can call them and ask if you have been accepted. That's how I found out.

I have information that does not agree with this statement. They said they would not tell me over the phone.

Yeah - they also would not tell me by phone, received decision by snail mail about 2 weeks ago.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:49 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:

Well... I called in 2008, when I got accepted, and that's how I found out.

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:08 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:

Well... I called in 2008, when I got accepted, and that's how I found out.

for me 2010.

jdough27

Postby jdough27 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:24 pm

sent an email to admissions. havent heard anything back. still. ______.

flhealth

Postby flhealth » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:04 pm

yo peeps...finishing my 1L year...daytime program...not local...do not speak spanish...hit me up with your ???'s...had a conversation with dean acosta, entering daytime class is being cut from 160 to 130...that, plus UF and FSU continue to cut their classes makes this cycle very competitive...one of you admitted students needs to start a FB page...thats what we did and 90% of us knew each other before classes began...familiar faces makes the first week less traumatic...

cruzgator

Postby cruzgator » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:10 pm

Did you guys recieve email on panther soft, or on your normal email?

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:42 am

flhealth wrote:yo peeps...finishing my 1L year...daytime program...not local...do not speak spanish...hit me up with your ???'s...had a conversation with dean acosta, entering daytime class is being cut from 160 to 130...that, plus UF and FSU continue to cut their classes makes this cycle very competitive...one of you admitted students needs to start a FB page...thats what we did and 90% of us knew each other before classes began...familiar faces makes the first week less traumatic...

Except for me... because I have never joined the facebook mob! =)

Why are they cutting the class size?

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:14 pm

flhealth wrote:yo peeps...finishing my 1L year...daytime program...not local...do not speak spanish...hit me up with your ???'s...had a conversation with dean acosta, entering daytime class is being cut from 160 to 130...that, plus UF and FSU continue to cut their classes makes this cycle very competitive...one of you admitted students needs to start a FB page...thats what we did and 90% of us knew each other before classes began...familiar faces makes the first week less traumatic...

Great Idea, here is the group.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120109724671210

jdough27

Postby jdough27 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:06 pm

just found out i got accepted! thanks to all of you for the message board support throughout the long wait. so happy.

Lawof_theLand

Postby Lawof_theLand » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:38 pm

Congratulations! Did it happen to come with an invite to an Admitted Students BBQ on 5/15? It is still on their calendar, but I haven't heard anything from them about it.

law333

Postby law333 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:45 pm

How did you find out? Through phone call or mail?

Allsmiles08

Postby Allsmiles08 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Still waiting to hear back. They told me a month ago that I would hear from them in 2 weeks. My scores make me a VERY weak applicant for admission, but I'm doing the summer program there so I hope it helps!

redvelvetccake

Postby redvelvetccake » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:35 pm

I withdrew a few weeks ago and received a status checker password today via email. Just letting anyone who is still waiting know in case you want to call and try to get one sent to you.

cruzgator

Postby cruzgator » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:55 pm

I just recieved my status checked today as well lol. I applied in Jan.

jdough27

Postby jdough27 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:56 pm

thanks lawoftheland.
details:
--letter arrived by snail mail at my permanent residence yesterday. i wasnt there but my family emailed me (out of country until june 15).
--acceptance letter was dated 4/12
--letter was not sent until 4/20
--arrives at my house on 4/22
--and FIU wants a deposit by 4/28 (good thing i already decided to attend or that would be really ridiculous to have to make a huge life decision in a few days
--no mention of the bbq
--last night, received the status check email from alma miro

see you all in august. best of luck to those still waiting.

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:17 pm

jdough27 wrote:just found out i got accepted! thanks to all of you for the message board support throughout the long wait. so happy.

really happy for you.

jdough27

Postby jdough27 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:38 pm

thanks lawschoolgiant.

btw, im wondering if you have relocation advice since youre in real estate there. im deciding between living on campus for the first year or looking for an economical place near campus. any ideas on where i can find info? ive spent a grand total of two days in miami. during that time, i was usually riding around lost on the bus routes.

davsters

Postby davsters » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:46 pm

Withdrew today through email. Good luck to those still waiting!

Lawof_theLand

Postby Lawof_theLand » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:37 pm

--arrives at my house on 4/22
--and FIU wants a deposit by 4/28

6 Days for a deposit?!?!?!
Yikes!

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:56 pm

jdough27 wrote:thanks lawschoolgiant.

btw, im wondering if you have relocation advice since youre in real estate there. im deciding between living on campus for the first year or looking for an economical place near campus. any ideas on where i can find info? ive spent a grand total of two days in miami. during that time, i was usually riding around lost on the bus routes.

yah I have some ideas...if you want to PM me a budget, I will suggest the best options for you. I would suggest most likely a rental community near there, the name escapes me, but I will look it up easily. there are so many foreclosures right now that you do not want that interrupting the year by renting for a little cheaper from a private owner. Also, if I were single I would be staying on campus...but i like the on campus lifestyle.

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:57 pm

just got accepted to UM...most probably will stick with FIU....i love the campus, program and new dean. BUt it is the U..

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:11 pm

Mr. Giant,

I hate UM. Completely despise UM and I despise FIU graduates that love the "U" more than their alma mater. Its traitorous and unfortunately this is the case most of the time. I cant begin to tell you how many FIU grads and current students go to UM games, but have never bothered to go to an FIU football game. Its just a shame.

With that being said, I would go to UM. The reason for the preceding rant was to illustrate how much I truly hate UM and how the bleak post grad employment prospects of going to FIU law make me blind to that hatred. I joked to friends that in spite of the fact that I hate "the U", I would probably go to their law school over FIU's. Fortunately, I realized that as much as I hate UM, I hate the city of Miami more and cannot wait to get out of here and thus UM is not an option.

Good luck!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”