Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rbgrocio

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Postby rbgrocio » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Good luck to those who are coming to FIU. The professors are great but get ready to work like you never have. We curve to a 2.6. Only 4 out of 80 ppl get As.

Lawof_theLand

Postby Lawof_theLand » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:24 am

That's why I'm going. I considered Stetson and FSU, but FIU was my #1 choice.

My overall impression of FIU has been of a very dedicated faculty, with a student body genuinely driven and who push each other to be great. People who don't back down from a challenge, and aren't intimidated by the bigger schools resting on their laurels. To be a part of that is an opportunity I wouldn't miss.

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:58 am

rbgrocio wrote:Good luck to those who are coming to FIU. The professors are great but get ready to work like you never have. We curve to a 2.6. Only 4 out of 80 ppl get As.

I cant wait, but is the curve really that low?

Lawof_theLand

Postby Lawof_theLand » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:56 pm

FIU posted a new suggested summer reading list for 2010 admitted students.

http://law.fiu.edu/images/docs/Student_Information/Suggested_Reading/suggested_summer_reading.pdf

jdough27

Postby jdough27 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:59 pm

sooo... am i the only one still waiting?

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:29 pm

jdough27 wrote:sooo... am i the only one still waiting?

good luck

Lawof_theLand

Postby Lawof_theLand » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:36 pm

sooo... am i the only one still waiting?

Quite a few still pending on LSN. In march a number of the admission letters came with an invitation to an admitted students BBQ. Their online calendar has another BBQ/pre-orientation tentative for 5/15. Maybe they will send out another round with the invitation again.

Their app. deadline isn't until May 1. One reason to have that late of a deadline may be to give another public school option to all those in the 157-160 LSAT range currently on hold at FSU/UF after their rejections come in.

cruzgator

Postby cruzgator » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:30 pm

I still haven't heard a word and i have been complete since late feb.

Lady Pink

Postby Lady Pink » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:52 am

I am still waiting as well. I sent my application in the beginning of Feb. and then my 3rd letter of Rec came in the beginning of March. I called them last week and they told me that my application was currently under review and I should know within 2 to 3 weeks. :cry:

Lawof_theLand

Postby Lawof_theLand » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:10 am

Since the last seat deposit deadline that was mentioned here was 4/12. It would make sense for the next round to go out at that time (maybe even today), after the school counts the responses from that round.

Lady Pink

Postby Lady Pink » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:03 pm

I hope I hear something soon (ANYTHING). The waiting is brutal!! I am thinking that I should set up a visit for a face to face with admissions. And thank you for the positive words!

K22

Postby K22 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:32 pm

I am looking for a place to live (as well as for a female roommate). I have a medium-sized dog, and I haven't had much luck with finding a pet-friendly place that is reasonably priced and close to campus.

I would very much appreciate suggestions!

jdough27

Postby jdough27 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:20 am

thanks for the insight, lawoftheland. that makes sense that they would send out another batch this month.

good luck to the rest of you still waiting. i hope we all make it.

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:22 pm

Does anyone know when we will be able to start using facilities, getting parking pass, library, gym etc.?

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:58 pm

probably when your semester begins. you have to pay the full tuition and fees. You're probably going to have to park in the lot near the ZEB building, which is a tough spot to find parking at. Its really messed up, but you guys dont get your own parking lot. The lot directly in front of the school is entirely faculty spots.

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:28 pm

gdane5 wrote:probably when your semester begins. you have to pay the full tuition and fees. You're probably going to have to park in the lot near the ZEB building, which is a tough spot to find parking at. Its really messed up, but you guys dont get your own parking lot. The lot directly in front of the school is entirely faculty spots.

Do you currently attend? I really want to start using the Gym..guess I have to wait.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:08 pm

I went to FIU for undergrad. Graduated fall 2009. I still go to the gym. Actually, Im on my way there. Haha.

If you want to use the gym, you'll have to pay to use it for Summer C term. Its $125.

But its convenient for you. The law building is right outside the gym. You can work out and go back to class in no time. I imagine that must be great!

x3jessica3x

Postby x3jessica3x » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:28 am

You can park in the Panther Parking Garage which is a lot better and the same distance from law building as the ZEB lot. Panther is always the most empty. Also they are almost done with another garage on campus which should ease the parking all around.. (hopefully)

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:17 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:Good luck to those who are coming to FIU. The professors are great but get ready to work like you never have. We curve to a 2.6. Only 4 out of 80 ppl get As.

I cant wait, but is the curve really that low?

Yes, It is that low!!! I go to FIU... I feel the curve my friend.... I am wayyyy above it, but a lot of people are on academic probation due, in part, to the curve!

BTW... I'll be happy to share outlines with any of you.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:32 pm

gdane5 wrote:probably when your semester begins. you have to pay the full tuition and fees. You're probably going to have to park in the lot near the ZEB building, which is a tough spot to find parking at. Its really messed up, but you guys dont get your own parking lot. The lot directly in front of the school is entirely faculty spots.

not true! I park in front of the school everyday... You just have to be there early... and when I say early I mean it. However, there is a parking lot right next to the school, and there is always parking... at least at the time you will have your classes. Your 1L year classes begin at 10 a.m., or at least they did for us! At that time you should be able to find parking in the lot next to the school though probably not in the one right in front of the school.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:10 pm

All I know is that its really retarded of FIU to have a parking lot right in front of the law school, but designate 99% of them for FSA. I go to the FIU gym and it sucks trying to find parking. I get there at about 4:45 PM and there are about 100 people vying for a spot. UG students, law students and alumni, like me, that go to the gym.

In any case, I walk through the building and it seems nice. It has a nice smell to it and its quiet. So, for whomever is going I think you'll like it. Just try to get a place near campus.

Lawof_theLand

Postby Lawof_theLand » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:53 pm

Congrats to everyone who has been admitted and will be attending.

I posted an FIU Class of 2013 thread:
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=114651

jdough27

Postby jdough27 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:56 pm

to the people that have been accepted/rejected/etc ... were you notified by email or snail mail? just wondering because i wont be at home until june (email would be nice).

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:13 pm

jdough27 wrote:to the people that have been accepted/rejected/etc ... were you notified by email or snail mail? just wondering because i wont be at home until june (email would be nice).

email

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:21 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
jdough27 wrote:to the people that have been accepted/rejected/etc ... were you notified by email or snail mail? just wondering because i wont be at home until june (email would be nice).

email

btw I was accepted, but most people were notified by mail.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”