Anyone hear from Florida International University? Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Re: Anyone hear from Florida International University?

Post by lawschoolgiant » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:07 am

gdane5 wrote:Mr. Giant,

I hate UM. Completely despise UM and I despise FIU graduates that love the "U" more than their alma mater. Its traitorous and unfortunately this is the case most of the time. I cant begin to tell you how many FIU grads and current students go to UM games, but have never bothered to go to an FIU football game. Its just a shame.

With that being said, I would go to UM. The reason for the preceding rant was to illustrate how much I truly hate UM and how the bleak post grad employment prospects of going to FIU law make me blind to that hatred. I joked to friends that in spite of the fact that I hate "the U", I would probably go to their law school over FIU's. Fortunately, I realized that as much as I hate UM, I hate the city of Miami more and cannot wait to get out of here and thus UM is not an option.

Good luck!
dumbest post EVER. It does not make any sense. I hate UM football, but I would go to a UM game over an FIU any day, much more exciting. I will behind whatever school I go to but UM has a huge alumni base, which equals better job prospects.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:00 pm

Well the point wasnt whether or not you should go to an FIU game over a UM game, the point was that you should go to UM. the rant was just my way of airing my anti UM sentiments.

cruzgator

New

Post by cruzgator » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:05 pm

My status changed to Dilt today. For some reason i don't feel good about this. I have been accepted to higher ranked schools, but FIU is so cheap and in a great area. I don't think i could turn it down.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:16 am

cruzgator wrote:My status changed to Dilt today. For some reason i don't feel good about this. I have been accepted to higher ranked schools, but FIU is so cheap and in a great area. I don't think i could turn it down.

same here, accepted to UM, but FIU is cheap and a great school. They will raise in the rankings next cycle. They were much stricter on admissions this year according to lawschoolnumbers. This means they will have a higher median, especially on the LSAT

cruzgator

New

Post by cruzgator » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:44 pm

They also lowered the class size. You would think they would have a larger class size being in maimi and being a public school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawof_theLand

New

Post by Lawof_theLand » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:48 pm

They also lowered the class size.
So did both FSU and UF and many other schools across the country. Hopefully the reduced enrollment will decrease supply, and increase job prospects. I wouldn't want to be graduating now, but if the enrollment stays low and the economy keeps growing, then maybe the hiring picture will be a bit brighter three years from now.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Mon May 03, 2010 7:55 pm

You guys have a bbq at FIU on may. Current students were invited too.... However, we have law review write on competition that day. I doubt may rising 2ls will show up!

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Mon May 03, 2010 8:30 pm

I am so excited for school to start, I cant take it!

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Mon May 03, 2010 9:02 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:I am so excited for school to start, I cant take it!

Lol.... hold that!! Enjoy your summer. Law school is brutal!!!I just had my civ. pro final today... law school can be exciting but your free summer time is a lot more fun!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Mon May 03, 2010 9:40 pm

rbgrocio wrote:

Lol.... hold that!! Enjoy your summer. Law school is brutal!!!I just had my civ. pro final today... law school can be exciting but your free summer time is a lot more fun!

I cant say I have experienced law school, and I know it will be the hardest or one of the hardest things I have ever done, but still excited to get a quality education, meet like minded professionals.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Mon May 03, 2010 9:56 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:

I cant say I have experienced law school, and I know it will be the hardest or one of the hardest things I have ever done, but still excited to get a quality education, meet like minded professionals.

not everything will be quality education. You will get frustrated with some teaching methods and you will wish attendance were not mandatory so you would not have to go to class!!! Some professors, however, are amazing... and you guys have Professor Norberg for Contracts which is the best professor I have ever had. You guys will love him. He will make you love contracts. He is just amazing!

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Tue May 04, 2010 9:59 am

rbgrocio wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:

not everything will be quality education. You will get frustrated with some teaching methods and you will wish attendance were not mandatory so you would not have to go to class!!! Some professors, however, are amazing... and you guys have Professor Norberg for Contracts which is the best professor I have ever had. You guys will love him. He will make you love contracts. He is just amazing!
I have heard so many great things about him, kind of bummed I am doing PT I dont think he teaches night during the fall and spring. My buddy just graduated from FIU. I understand that there are negative points, as there is in all life challenges, but it helps shape and grow you. I am imagining you have to try to stay as positive as possible.

x3jessica3x

New

Post by x3jessica3x » Tue May 04, 2010 10:58 pm

Has anyone here still not heard a word from FIU? Aside from the status checker e-mail nothing has changed for me. My status has been listed as complete since March 16. Has anyone else here seen theirs change to under review before DLIT? When I e-mailed them I was told decision would be made 4-6 weeks after going complete..It has definitely been enough time..any info?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lawof_theLand

New

Post by Lawof_theLand » Wed May 05, 2010 7:36 am

x3jessica3x wrote:Has anyone here still not heard a word from FIU? Aside from the status checker e-mail nothing has changed for me. My status has been listed as complete since March 16. Has anyone else here seen theirs change to under review before DLIT? When I e-mailed them I was told decision would be made 4-6 weeks after going complete..It has definitely been enough time..any info?
Check whatever e-mail address you put in your application, and the "junk mail" folder just in case. Yesterday afternoon they sent out an invitation to a BBQ on the 15th for admitted students. The e-mail says that some may have received the e-mail prior to the official notification, in which case the official notification is in the mail.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Wed May 05, 2010 2:07 pm

ANYONE PREPPING FOR 1L

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Wed May 05, 2010 2:08 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:ANYONE PREPPING FOR 1L

DONT DO IT!!!!!!!

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Wed May 05, 2010 2:17 pm

what do you mean I already read all the hornbooks and E&E's ever written twice....overkill? haha. I am reading just a few easy reading nonfiction and fiction books about law and law school. Nothing substantive and only because I find it interesting.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Wed May 05, 2010 2:25 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:what do you mean I already read all the hornbooks and E&E's ever written twice....overkill? haha. I am reading just a few easy reading nonfiction and fiction books about law and law school. Nothing substantive and only because I find it interesting.

ok... that sounds good!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed May 05, 2010 3:09 pm

Use the resources on this site Lawschoolgiant. Particularly the search function. You'll see that the general consensus is NOT to do any type of "preparation" before law school. I agree. I would say just do what youre doing now, reading books. Ive been reading "The Audacity of Hope" just to keep my mind sharp. I dont plan on doing anything else.

You'll be ok.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Wed May 05, 2010 3:30 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:what do you mean I already read all the hornbooks and E&E's ever written twice....overkill? haha. I am reading just a few easy reading nonfiction and fiction books about law and law school. Nothing substantive and only because I find it interesting.

ok... that sounds good!

what year are you again?

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Wed May 05, 2010 3:42 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:
rbgrocio wrote:

ok... that sounds good!

what year are you again?

going on 2nd

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Wed May 05, 2010 5:10 pm

Is the bookstore the only place to buy FIU Law shirts hats etc...I want some gear

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Wed May 05, 2010 5:34 pm

lawschoolgiant wrote:Is the bookstore the only place to buy FIU Law shirts hats etc...I want some gear

Book Horizons in Coral Gables.

lawschoolgiant

Bronze

Post by lawschoolgiant » Wed May 05, 2010 5:37 pm

rbgrocio wrote:
lawschoolgiant wrote:Is the bookstore the only place to buy FIU Law shirts hats etc...I want some gear

Book Horizons in Coral Gables.

nice thanks!

x3jessica3x

New

Post by x3jessica3x » Wed May 05, 2010 6:31 pm

Lawof_theLand wrote:
x3jessica3x wrote:Has anyone here still not heard a word from FIU? Aside from the status checker e-mail nothing has changed for me. My status has been listed as complete since March 16. Has anyone else here seen theirs change to under review before DLIT? When I e-mailed them I was told decision would be made 4-6 weeks after going complete..It has definitely been enough time..any info?
Check whatever e-mail address you put in your application, and the "junk mail" folder just in case. Yesterday afternoon they sent out an invitation to a BBQ on the 15th for admitted students. The e-mail says that some may have received the e-mail prior to the official notification, in which case the official notification is in the mail.
No e-mail thus far and still no change in my status. I'm wondering if I should just call or something. Starting to get pretty worried about it. Did anyones status ever change to under review at any point? Also, I am wondering if they are still sending out BBQ invites..I really want to go to FIU

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”