Emory 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TheBigMediocre

Re: Emory 2010

Postby TheBigMediocre » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:17 am

randtuckman wrote:TheBigMediocre - I've liked your posts... I require you to spend sticker and join the Emory ranks. I need interesting classmates not full of suck. You going to UGA/Vandy then?

Thanks for the compliment. I'm sure you're going to find lots of interesting classmates at Emory (most of them from the east coast, from what I could tell on my visit).

And right you are, I'm UGA-bound. Although the rankings whore within me is annoyed, the value of attending UGA is unbeatable for me because I want to practice in Atlanta or another part of the Southeast. I also put a huge emphasis on quality of life/"The Happiness Factor" and I think Athens is where I'm going to find that.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:33 am

hwstewart wrote:Big Mediocre, can you elaborate on what the Dean said re:scholarships. I'm curious considering that our numbers are very close to each other and I haven't heard anything about scholarships. I have heard/seen enough disparaging things about Emory in general to rule it out entirely, but I'm finding it pretty surprising that it seems like sticker is going to be their best offer.

Sure.

First, It's my understanding that if you were admitted to the Fall class and haven't heard anything about scholarships yet, you wont. He said that the scholarship committee has finished awarding merit aid for the entering class. Also, "We're an elite top-20 law school, not eBay. We have a zero scholarship negotiation policy and while we know some schools do dicker, we currently don't" (That's a paraphrasing, but he did make the eBay reference :lol: ) He said my two options were to either attend at sticker and hopefully get money 2L and 3L year, or reapply next year.

Second, this is how he described Emory's methodology for selecting scholarship recipients. All potential scholarship recipients are divided into three pools. The first pool is filled with people who Emory deems as likely to "make a community impact and have a propensity to attend Emory". The second pool is filled with candidates who Emory deems to have "diverse experiences" that can add to the law school class. The third pool is filled with academically strong candidates who have neither of the first two characteristics. They then go through these pools first to third and divvy up the money.

This seems to jive with me based on anecdotal evidence. I'm a 3.35/170 and only did the typical paragraph at the bottom of my PS about Emory. I received nothing, third pool. My fraternity brother who has weaker numbers (3.2/166) wrote about their child advocacy clinic throughout his PS received 18k/year, first pool.

The Moral of the Story: Take an extra hour to browse their website and find something that interests you and then another 30 minutes to weave it into your personal statement.

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:58 am

Withdrawing and freeing up some scholarship $$.
I would have loved to go to Emory, partly because I think I'd enjoy Atlanta.
Good luck to everyone here!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:21 pm

pearl_earrings wrote:Withdrawing and freeing up some scholarship $$.

Does this mean Vandy for you next year?

HkSyed

Postby HkSyed » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:16 pm

hwstewart wrote:Big Mediocre, can you elaborate on what the Dean said re:scholarships. I'm curious considering that our numbers are very close to each other and I haven't heard anything about scholarships. I have heard/seen enough disparaging things about Emory in general to rule it out entirely, but I'm finding it pretty surprising that it seems like sticker is going to be their best offer.

What kind of bad things have you heard about Emory?

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:22 pm

rad law wrote:
pearl_earrings wrote:Withdrawing and freeing up some scholarship $$.

Does this mean Vandy for you next year?

Quite possibly! I think so.. eek I'm not sure yet.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:39 pm

They made decisions on a Sunday?

outlaw08

Postby outlaw08 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:45 pm

Just solidified my decision to attend Emory! Visited the law school this past Friday and fell in love! Everyone I came in contact with was super nice and the building was up to par as well. I hung out with some 2Ls (I have a good friend there) and everyone was so friendly and no one had a bad thing to say about Emory. They were very truthful about the economy and lack of jobs...but as far as the law school goes...they were pretty positive. I'm putting my deposit down this week...hope to see some of you in the fall! Let me know if you have any questions about my visit.

DukeHopeful

Postby DukeHopeful » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:33 pm

So I got my acceptance packet on Saturday (after getting the curriculum email on Thurs and being completely confused/optimistic). However, when I tried to log in to this OPUS site, it said it didn't have any record of a student with that bday and SSN. Was I using the wrong site? Anyone else have this problem?

Also, I would really like to attend the ASW, anyone with knowledge on where would be a good, as well as cheap, place to stay? Thanks! Congrats to everyone else who just got their packet as well!

dvd

Postby dvd » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:54 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

mavsman88

Postby mavsman88 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:57 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:

Sure.

First, It's my understanding that if you were admitted to the Fall class and haven't heard anything about scholarships yet, you wont. He said that the scholarship committee has finished awarding merit aid for the entering class. Also, "We're an elite top-20 law school, not eBay. We have a zero scholarship negotiation policy and while we know some schools do dicker, we currently don't" (That's a paraphrasing, but he did make the eBay reference :lol: ) He said my two options were to either attend at sticker and hopefully get money 2L and 3L year, or reapply next year.

Second, this is how he described Emory's methodology for selecting scholarship recipients. All potential scholarship recipients are divided into three pools. The first pool is filled with people who Emory deems as likely to "make a community impact and have a propensity to attend Emory". The second pool is filled with candidates who Emory deems to have "diverse experiences" that can add to the law school class. The third pool is filled with academically strong candidates who have neither of the first two characteristics. They then go through these pools first to third and divvy up the money.

This seems to jive with me based on anecdotal evidence. I'm a 3.35/170 and only did the typical paragraph at the bottom of my PS about Emory. I received nothing, third pool. My fraternity brother who has weaker numbers (3.2/166) wrote about their child advocacy clinic throughout his PS received 18k/year, first pool.

The Moral of the Story: Take an extra hour to browse their website and find something that interests you and then another 30 minutes to weave it into your personal statement.

Don't talk behind my back!

hhg

Postby hhg » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:32 pm

DukeHopeful wrote:So I got my acceptance packet on Saturday (after getting the curriculum email on Thurs and being completely confused/optimistic). However, when I tried to log in to this OPUS site, it said it didn't have any record of a student with that bday and SSN. Was I using the wrong site? Anyone else have this problem?

Also, I would really like to attend the ASW, anyone with knowledge on where would be a good, as well as cheap, place to stay? Thanks! Congrats to everyone else who just got their packet as well!

somewherewarm wrote:The University recommends either the Emory Inn or the Emory Conference Center although I'm sure there are other places to stay in Atlanta. The Conference Center is a little more pricey but has better amenities.

i'm staying with relatives, so i really can't be much more helpful than this... perhaps somebody else will have more information to add, but at least this'll get you started.

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:43 pm

scBlueDevil

Postby scBlueDevil » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:01 am

DukeHopeful wrote:Also, I would really like to attend the ASW, anyone with knowledge on where would be a good, as well as cheap, place to stay? Thanks! Congrats to everyone else who just got their packet as well!

Last year I stayed at the Holiday Inn Decatur Conference Center. I booked through Priceline.com, and I'm pretty sure I just offered to pay $45-50 for a night at any three-star hotel in the area. The hotel was nice enough and close enough to the law school. Also, for some reason they never charged me for the room... but they did charge me $7 for parking.

UFLS2013

Postby UFLS2013 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:05 am

emory vs. chapel hill?

any big differences?

leraa6587

Postby leraa6587 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:40 am

UFLS2013 wrote:emory vs. chapel hill?

any big differences?

1. climate
2. accessibility to ATL
3. structure of programs

reallly reallllly tired sorry felt like posting anyway

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:38 am

emory vs. chapel hill?

any big differences?

I would like to see this addressed further - or maybe

Charlotte v Atlanta?

anniesaysrelax

Postby anniesaysrelax » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:33 pm

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but during my visit today the admissions rep said that Emory's accepted student median this year was up to 167, GPA at 3.5. Not sure if that will translate to upped medians for those that enroll, but interesting in any case.

The staff today was very helpful and kind, definitely making it hard to say no to Emory. I'm choosing between here and USC and it's looking more and more like Emory everyday.

griffkin

Postby griffkin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:42 pm

someone briefly convince me to attend emory w/$54k over UGA with $5k/year.. i'm so tornnnnnnn

Cosmo Kramer

Postby Cosmo Kramer » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:08 pm

because i missed the page with my answer

somewherewarm

Postby somewherewarm » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:16 pm

Matteliszt wrote:
emory vs. chapel hill?

any big differences?

Charlotte v Atlanta?

I'm wondering the same. Half ride from Emory, near full ride from UNC.

maximus34998

Postby maximus34998 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:17 pm

griffkin wrote:someone briefly convince me to attend emory w/$54k over UGA with $5k/year.. i'm so tornnnnnnn

Atlanta >>> Athens. #20 >>> #35. Field Placements, Trial Techniques Program, and First-Year Electives at Emory. And most importantly...

Atlanta >>> Athens.

Snoopy1216

Postby Snoopy1216 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:59 pm

Does Emory offer an reimbursements or stipends for traveling to ASW?

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:17 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:Does Emory offer an reimbursements or stipends for traveling to ASW?

no

Emory_Rob wrote:I’m afraid we don’t offer travel stipends. We have negotiated some really good rates at the closest hotels, and one nice thing about Atlanta is that it’s usually pretty inexpensive to travel here with Air Tran and Delta both headquartered here.

randtuckman

Postby randtuckman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:56 am

maximus34998 wrote:
griffkin wrote:someone briefly convince me to attend emory w/$54k over UGA with $5k/year.. i'm so tornnnnnnn

Atlanta >>> Athens. #20 >>> #35. Field Placements, Trial Techniques Program, and First-Year Electives at Emory. And most importantly...

Atlanta >>> Athens.

+1
Also the TI:GER program appeals to me. I think Atlanta >>> Athens is huge, personally. Do not overlook the fact that you are going to be in school for 3 more years. That being said, maybe a smaller area (Athens) appeals to you.

A 2nd viewpoint: I feel -unwarranted maybe- that the student body at Emory will be more interesting/varied than at UGA. UGA Law has a TON of UGA UGs in it. Even a higher percentage of the tri-state area. (Disclaimer: This is 2nd hand anecdotes from UGA alum friends, Emory alum friends, etc.) Not only will you be 'stuck' in Atlanta or Athens for three years, you will be stuck with your classmates. I am definitely aware of this, and I do my best to con as many interesting people into Emory as possible. Nothing against UGA UGs (my fiancee's family lives near Atlanta, plenty of UGA in the family) but variety is the spice of life. Hopefully, you will be making life-long friends in school. I want my friend pool to be wide/deep/some cool stuff floating on the surface.

Matteliszt wrote:
emory vs. chapel hill?

any big differences?

Charlotte v Atlanta?

Unfortunately, I have only ever heard of awesome things with regards to the research triangle. I say unfortunately only because Matteliszt seems awesome (see above). Maybe you can make a similar claim to UNC's student body as @ UGA.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”