Emory 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
BearTerritory

Re: Emory 2010

Postby BearTerritory » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:24 pm

for those interested, i just called and both hotels are basically in the same location, 4 blocks from campus. 1 is a motel style hotel and the other is an actual 4 star hotel...the price difference between the 2 is only $25 dollars a night.

Bro

Postby Bro » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:28 pm

to people who have received a merit scholarship from emory: how were you notified? (via email, snail mail, in the admissions packet?) i got accepted a couple weeks ago but haven't been offered any scholly money. still too early or am i out of luck?

BearTerritory

Postby BearTerritory » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:02 pm

Bro wrote:to people who have received a merit scholarship from emory: how were you notified? (via email, snail mail, in the admissions packet?) i got accepted a couple weeks ago but haven't been offered any scholly money. still too early or am i out of luck?

i was notified with my letter of admission. others have gotten it separately too.

forza

Postby forza » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:11 pm

$75,000 offer in the mail today, can't accept it. Hope one of you gets it!

timelovesahero

Postby timelovesahero » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:28 pm

very excited today! i got a 75k offer. it looks like itll come down to emory, vandy, michigan or potentially one of the schools i haven't heard back from

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:48 pm

Bro wrote:to people who have received a merit scholarship from emory: how were you notified? (via email, snail mail, in the admissions packet?) i got accepted a couple weeks ago but haven't been offered any scholly money. still too early or am i out of luck?

I received my (small) scholarship offer with my letter of acceptance.

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:46 am

81,000 offer today....to take or go to Washington and Lee on full ride? A much harder decision that I thought I was going to have to make.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:09 am

Rowinguy2009 wrote:81,000 offer today....to take or go to Washington and Lee on full ride? A much harder decision that I thought I was going to have to make.

I'm about 3k/yr. behind you at both W&L and Emory, so I know the feeling. I'm personally leaning towards Washington and Lee. You'll be 50-60k more in debt after 3 years at Emory - with the trade-off being a bigger market specific to the school, and better possibilities in "BigLaw" (if that's what you are into).

You must be from West Virginia, because when I inquired about possibly getting my 34k at W&L bumped up to a full ride, she said that at this point they had only handed out a full ride to someone from an endowed scholarship that targets W. Virginia students. If you want to practice closer to home, that's another point in Washington and Lee's favor.

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:53 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
Rowinguy2009 wrote:81,000 offer today....to take or go to Washington and Lee on full ride? A much harder decision that I thought I was going to have to make.

I'm about 3k/yr. behind you at both W&L and Emory, so I know the feeling. I'm personally leaning towards Washington and Lee. You'll be 50-60k more in debt after 3 years at Emory - with the trade-off being a bigger market specific to the school, and better possibilities in "BigLaw" (if that's what you are into).

You must be from West Virginia, because when I inquired about possibly getting my 34k at W&L bumped up to a full ride, she said that at this point they had only handed out a full ride to someone from an endowed scholarship that targets W. Virginia students. If you want to practice closer to home, that's another point in Washington and Lee's favor.

Hit the nail on the head with the West Virginia thing. Funny because they have not actually come out and told me that my scholly was connected to a WV endowment, but I heard about it briefly before I even applied to the school, so I've been assuming that was what I received all along... nice to have it confirmed though.

My only hesitation at this point comes from the fact that my WL scholly has a 3.25 gpa stipulation, which is roughly top 65%. The TLS consensus seems to be that grades are a crap shoot, and I am pretty worried about what would happen if I fell below.

maximus34998

Postby maximus34998 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:37 am

I'm making a similar (not as much money, but close) decision. And for me, the schools are SO different, that I think it should mainly come down to what you want. Atlanta and Lexington are really very different places, and I think the fact that you're going to be living in this place for three years is an underrated aspect of the school selection process. Do you want (relatively) big-city Atlanta, or middle of nowhere Lexington? And for job placement after, do you want Atlanta or DC to be your primary target market?

Personally, I'm taking Emory, but I'm from Atlanta to begin with so there's my bias.

rccohla

Postby rccohla » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:40 pm

81K scholarship. This could seal the deal with Emory for me.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:42 pm

Anyone who applied for the Woodruff not get it and hear back about other scholarship money yet?

rccohla

Postby rccohla » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:49 pm

rad law wrote:Anyone who applied for the Woodruff not get it and hear back about other scholarship money yet?

Yep, that'd be me. And a few of the other recent 81k recipients I'd imagine. There is also a recent forum with about 5 posts in it in the Financial Aid forum.

maximus34998

Postby maximus34998 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:49 am

Hey, it seems like some people are starting to make the decision on Emory for next year (and I definitely have) so I wanted to share the C/O 2013 thread here on TLS and the FB group with everyone.

Emory Class of 2013 TLS Thread

Emory Class of 2013 FB Group

Can't wait to start getting to know everyone and meeting at the ASW April 9-10!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:05 pm

rccohla wrote:
rad law wrote:Anyone who applied for the Woodruff not get it and hear back about other scholarship money yet?

Yep, that'd be me. And a few of the other recent 81k recipients I'd imagine. There is also a recent forum with about 5 posts in it in the Financial Aid forum.

Thanks for the heads up. I gotta go check my mail.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:28 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:

Hit the nail on the head with the West Virginia thing. Funny because they have not actually come out and told me that my scholly was connected to a WV endowment, but I heard about it briefly before I even applied to the school, so I've been assuming that was what I received all along... nice to have it confirmed though.

My only hesitation at this point comes from the fact that my WL scholly has a 3.25 gpa stipulation, which is roughly top 65%. The TLS consensus seems to be that grades are a crap shoot, and I am pretty worried about what would happen if I fell below.

Hmm, that's interesting. My scholarship at W and L was less, but had a 3.0 requirement (they said about 75-80% there). I don't think grades are a crap shoot necessarily. I've made a point of asking every school that offers me scholarships with GPA reqs both what percentile that GPA stands at against their curve and what percentage of students who receive scholarships maintain them. Unsurprisingly, there appears to be a pretty strong correlation between the two. For schools with top 33% requirements, it appears 63-75% retain them. For schools with top 40% requirements, it appears 80-95% retain them. Top 50% appears to be from 82-95% as well. However, top 65% is probably nearing a 90-100% range. I made sure to ask about scholarships in my range as opposed to all school scholarships, in order to cut down on making myself paranoid about losing scholarships (i.e. not being lumped in with 1/2 rides to median students).

Emory's scholarship being automatic and in-the-bank is certainly really attractive, but I think the decision should rely upon where you want to practice and what environment you want to study in. Both schools have enough name recognition and alumni reach to overlap (to some degree) with the other - especially in the South Atlantic region. But, if you want something DC, Virginia, West Virginia, the savings would definitely be worth it at Wash and Lee.

fs_tills

Postby fs_tills » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:32 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:Does Emory not send out rejects till late march or april? From LSN no one has been rejected or waitlisted yet.

Seconding this question. Anyone have an answer?

EDIT: You know what? Forget it. Of course they must send out their rejects en masse in late March/April. I refuse to believe every single Emory applicant who has heard back at LSN has been accepted. The odds of that are incredibly low. Unless every single LSN Emory applicant who has been rejected hasn't updated their profile. Again, odds are low. Hello, late March auto-reject.

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:21 pm

fs_tills wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:Does Emory not send out rejects till late march or april? From LSN no one has been rejected or waitlisted yet.

Seconding this question. Anyone have an answer?

EDIT: You know what? Forget it. Of course they must send out their rejects en masse in late March/April. I refuse to believe every single Emory applicant who has heard back at LSN has been accepted. The odds of that are incredibly low. Unless every single LSN Emory applicant who has been rejected hasn't updated their profile. Again, odds are low. Hello, late March auto-reject.

I actually do believe that they have not sent out any rejects.

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:21 pm

Did anyone get a Woodruff invite? I didn't, and I haven't heard of any yet. There are supposed to be 12 invitations given out. Whats the deal???

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:30 pm

I just wanted to say that Emory is AWESOME for letting us wear casual attire to both their social and the admitted students event on Saturday!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:14 pm

75k at Emory today. Leaning towards Vandy at 72k, however.

I had 3 Emory students, a 1L and two 3Ls, tell me unequivocally to go to Vanderbilt. That doesn't speak very well of the school. But I'll wait until ASD to make my final decision.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:34 pm

rad law wrote:I had 3 Emory students, a 1L and two 3Ls, tell me unequivocally to go to Vanderbilt.

Damn. What reasons did they give?

MPMP

Postby MPMP » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:50 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
rad law wrote:I had 3 Emory students, a 1L and two 3Ls, tell me unequivocally to go to Vanderbilt.

Well I think Vandy places about 20 or 25 percent more grads into NLJ 250 jobs, for starters.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:50 pm

FunkyJD wrote:

Better degree mobility (important ITE), better job prospects (47% vs 24% placed in NLJ250 firms), and more prestige.

Also, if you're looking to practice in ATL, one 3L had an interesting insight. Many ATL employers like to hire UGA grads (and I would guess Vandy, Duke, and UVA, too). It's sort of a good 'ol boy network. Emory is seen as a good school, but one with a bunch of Yankees and people who aren't from the GA and the South and don't like it here (much like UG), and that they are going to Emory to try to go back up North somewhere. Whether this is true or not, perhaps the perception is out there.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:52 pm

rad law wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

Better degree mobility (important ITE), better job prospects (47% vs 24% placed in NLJ250 firms), and more prestige.

Also, if you're looking to practice in ATL, one 3L had an interesting insight. Many ATL employers like to hire UGA grads (and I would guess Vandy, Duke, and UVA, too). It's sort of a good 'ol boy network. Emory is seen as a good school, but one with a bunch of Yankees and people who aren't from the GA and the South and don't like it here (much like UG), and that they are going to Emory to try to go back up North somewhere. Whether this is true or not, perhaps the perception is out there.

Emory's got a lot of carpet baggers, fo sho.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”