Emory 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mudbug25

Re: Emory 2010

Postby mudbug25 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:35 pm

I also called earlier today and was told I was under review right now.

I've gotten into some great schools thus far, but Emory is the one I really want. The combo of rank/location is fantastic for me, and it would more than likely be cycle over if I got good news.

167//3.2

married0L

Postby married0L » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Mudbug,

I have similar numbers, where all did you get in, if you dont mind me asking?

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:45 pm

mudbug25 wrote:I also called earlier today and was told I was under review right now.

I've gotten into some great schools thus far, but Emory is the one I really want. The combo of rank/location is fantastic for me, and it would more than likely be cycle over if I got good news.

167//3.2

Still waiting for any news on my appl. Applied 1-6. Complete email on 1-19. Nothing since...169 lsat.

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:50 pm

Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:50 pm

rad law wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:What about Emory don't you like, if you don't mind my asking? I applied and I would be interested in hearing someone's perspective who's actually been there!

Good luck on your cycle!

FWIW, none of this probably applies to the law school.

For undergrad, Emory seems to be comprised of many disparate groups that all dislike each other. Also, this is not a southern school; there are tons of NY and NJ people, etc.; the "Jewish American Princess" stereotype is prevalent, along with the guys that chase these girls. As someone from "the South," most people here are just not my type of people. Not bad people, just not my type. Plus, there isn't really anything to bring students together, like a football team or any sports of note. Also, despite being nominally close to Atlanta, it hard to really experience what the city has to offer unless you have a car and are 21.

Basically, many people treat Emory like a glorified trade school. Undergrads come here to be doctors, business people, lawyers, etc., and don't really have a lot of love for the institution itself other than as a means to achieve these goals. This isn't necessarily bad, but it's not really what I wanted out of an undergraduate institution. The education here is great, but the sense of community is notably absent.

All of this has combined to leave a bad taste in my mouth about Emory as an institution. I'm sure the law school is different, but I want to finally go to school at a place where people really love it there.

Man this freaks me out, is it safe to say that this school is mainly for northerners or something? Would this affect strongly employment afterwards in Atlanta, like, someone from UGA would be preferred because they are from the real Southern school while Emory is seen as more of a get in, get out type place? Scary, I need a Southern feeling at my school...

bonnieblue

Postby bonnieblue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:53 pm

iShotFirst wrote:
rad law wrote:
phoenix323 wrote:What about Emory don't you like, if you don't mind my asking? I applied and I would be interested in hearing someone's perspective who's actually been there!

Good luck on your cycle!

FWIW, none of this probably applies to the law school.

For undergrad, Emory seems to be comprised of many disparate groups that all dislike each other. Also, this is not a southern school; there are tons of NY and NJ people, etc.; the "Jewish American Princess" stereotype is prevalent, along with the guys that chase these girls. As someone from "the South," most people here are just not my type of people. Not bad people, just not my type. Plus, there isn't really anything to bring students together, like a football team or any sports of note. Also, despite being nominally close to Atlanta, it hard to really experience what the city has to offer unless you have a car and are 21.

Basically, many people treat Emory like a glorified trade school. Undergrads come here to be doctors, business people, lawyers, etc., and don't really have a lot of love for the institution itself other than as a means to achieve these goals. This isn't necessarily bad, but it's not really what I wanted out of an undergraduate institution. The education here is great, but the sense of community is notably absent.

All of this has combined to leave a bad taste in my mouth about Emory as an institution. I'm sure the law school is different, but I want to finally go to school at a place where people really love it there.

Man this freaks me out, is it safe to say that this school is mainly for northerners or something? Would this affect strongly employment afterwards in Atlanta, like, someone from UGA would be preferred because they are from the real Southern school while Emory is seen as more of a get in, get out type place? Scary, I need a Southern feeling at my school...

haha same here, its one of the only things giving me pause.....but i know enough people who live in atlanta already that i think i would be fine

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:53 pm

Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jc631

Postby jc631 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:54 pm

krispykitten wrote:In today! Wooo! 169/3.4x

Any word on scholarships yet?

I received my acceptance on Thursday and scholarship info today!

hhg

Postby hhg » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:54 pm

krispykitten wrote:I'm an idiot-- question: do scholarship letters come w/the acceptance packet or separately?

mine came separately but were received within a day of each other.

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:55 pm

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:59 pm

krispykitten wrote:
hhg wrote:
krispykitten wrote:I'm an idiot-- question: do scholarship letters come w/the acceptance packet or separately?

mine came separately but were received within a day of each other.

Awesome, thanks guys. Any idea what 169/3.4x may get, if anything? Imma check lsn too.

purely speculation, but im thinkin 60k

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:04 pm

Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:34 pm

iShotFirst wrote:Man this freaks me out, is it safe to say that this school is mainly for northerners or something? Would this affect strongly employment afterwards in Atlanta, like, someone from UGA would be preferred because they are from the real Southern school while Emory is seen as more of a get in, get out type place? Scary, I need a Southern feeling at my school...

For UG, a lot of kids list that they are from "the South," but almost none of them look or act like the people one finds at UGA or even Vanderbilt, and not many of them would identify as such. Maybe law school is different.

bonnieblue

Postby bonnieblue » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:22 pm

plan B: start befriending Lovett and Westminster alums?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:41 pm

bonnieblue wrote:plan B: start befriending Lovett and Westminster alums?

Haha +1

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:34 pm

got my scholarship info today but haven't received my acceptance yet! oh well! good luck to you guys still waiting to hear!

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:36 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:got my scholarship info today but haven't received my acceptance yet! oh well! good luck to you guys still waiting to hear!

Ha! Well, I've gotten an acceptance packet with no scholarship info. Together, you and I make one complete applicant!

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:04 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:got my scholarship info today but haven't received my acceptance yet! oh well! good luck to you guys still waiting to hear!

Ha! Well, I've gotten an acceptance packet with no scholarship info. Together, you and I make one complete applicant!

haha i guess we do! hope you get that scholarship packet soon!!!

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:15 pm

lateforthesky16 wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:

Yeah, I certainly hope so! I'm a little worried because some people on here said they got their scholarship packet within a couple of days of the acceptance packet. For me, it's already been a week...BUT my file went complete only on 2/17, which means that I was admitted and the acceptance made it to me in NYC all within 3 business days! That's kind of crazy. My numbers are 167/3.7. I certainly hope to be getting at least some scholarship.

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:20 pm

musicfor18 wrote:
lateforthesky16 wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:

Yeah, I certainly hope so! I'm a little worried because some people on here said they got their scholarship packet within a couple of days of the acceptance packet. For me, it's already been a week...BUT my file went complete only on 2/17, which means that I was admitted and the acceptance made it to me in NYC all within 3 business days! That's kind of crazy. My numbers are 167/3.7. I certainly hope to be getting at least some scholarship.

i'm sure you will. you have better numbers than me (I'm 168/3.48), and I got 60K. Also, they must really love you if you got that kind of turn around. I applied in October haha and just got this packet today. good luck!

flowerpot

Postby flowerpot » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:30 am

Just called the admissions office and they said that a decision had been made on my file and they sent it on the 23rd....it's March 2nd. What is taking so long for it to get here? I'm only in NC....weird. I hope it comes today!!!

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:35 am

rad law wrote:
bonnieblue wrote:plan B: start befriending Lovett and Westminster alums?

Haha +1

I live with a Lovett alum and a Westminster alum, neither are that southern.

guardgrl2013

Postby guardgrl2013 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:00 am

170/3.1

applied 10/16
app received 10/30
compete 12/8

In 3/1!!!

No scholly info yet. I'm really hoping to see something in the next week. I do think I will be heading out to their ASD even though I toured back in September.

tinyone

Postby tinyone » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:08 pm

rad law wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:Man this freaks me out, is it safe to say that this school is mainly for northerners or something? Would this affect strongly employment afterwards in Atlanta, like, someone from UGA would be preferred because they are from the real Southern school while Emory is seen as more of a get in, get out type place? Scary, I need a Southern feeling at my school...

For UG, a lot of kids list that they are from "the South," but almost none of them look or act like the people one finds at UGA or even Vanderbilt, and not many of them would identify as such. Maybe law school is different.

I also went to Emory undergrad and I am from Texas/not the NE. I will admit that at first the lg amt of NE ppl overwhelmed me but by my Junior year I was just fine. I found that there were plenty of people there who didn't fit this stereotype. I also have volunteered at the Emory Law School w/ a pre-trial 3L class and I can tell you that the law school is different than the undergrad, at lest from what I observed. It didn't seem to be as "cliqueish" with regards to your background, it actually seemed very diverse to me.

I think the idea of this affecting your employment is a lil' paranoid. There are some firms that hire UGA grads, aka Alston Bird, but if you have the Emory name on your resume and they keep climbing the rankings I don't see you being worse off. My boss went to Emory Law and he is doing very well as a partner. However, if you want a "southern" experience, go to UGA.

Just my opinion.

timelovesahero

Postby timelovesahero » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:10 pm

I went to Emory Undergrad and am a Southerner. I love the school and bleed blue and gold. I feel that while we don't have a school spirit based on athletics we have a strong one based on academic pride.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”