Emory 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hhg

Re: Emory 2010

Postby hhg » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:57 am

scholly offer received - $60k. was hoping for a little bit more, but certainly nothing to complain about. looking like my cycle may finally be winding down pending a few decisions that proly won't be better than this one. hoping i can get to the asd in april to meet future classmates!

hwstewart

Postby hwstewart » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:54 pm

Congrats to everyone on acceptances and $!

I got sent some "claim your spot" love two days ago, but am still waiting (somewhat impatiently) for the word on $.

(169/3.38)
Complete 1/11
DR 2/24

Anyone have a prediction about scholarship with these #'s? Hoping above 75th LSAT will get me something!

I definitely want to be in ATL and am also accepted to UGA w/ instate + $, which is thickening the plot. Is anyone in this same boat that can relate and/or give some advice? I like the idea of greater "portability," but the reality is that I want to be in the south and ATL is probably the likely local for practice. Even with some dough, Emory will be substantially more expensive and it also appears that UGA offers similar (some even go so far as to say better?) job prospects in ATL. I'm really into Emory's program (focus on litigation, clinical programs, etc), its strength of faculty and the fact that it would provide an easy transition for me and my fiance, who will be starting a year after me and wants to practice in ATL as well. I want to lean towards Emory, someone give me the push I need to pick up the pin and sign (assuming the scholly scrilla comes through!)

tinyone

Postby tinyone » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:06 pm

I'm in the same boat, UGA v Emory. I have in-state at UGA w/ $4k/yr and $54k from Emory. I'm and Emory undergrad and have been working in Atlanta for the past yr and a half. I'd like to stay and both Emory and UGA offer that. UGA is cheaper but w/ $54k Emory isn't so out of the question. I think what might sway me towards Emory is how invested they are in improving their rankings. I know that the undergrad was the same way, their admissions have become so much more competitive than when I applied. However, the law school just doesn't seem to have its act together like the College.

goblue1646

Postby goblue1646 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:49 pm

IN with 72k!!!! super excited :D Emory versus USC, what do you guys think? Never been to Atlanta or Cali....:P

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:56 pm

hwstewart wrote:(169/3.38)
Complete 1/11
DR 2/24

YAY I might be getting a decision SOON!! Complete 1/19.

goblue1646 wrote:IN with 72k!!!! super excited :D Emory versus USC, what do you guys think? Never been to Atlanta or Cali....:P

:lol: Seriously?! And USC v Emory is now your final decision? I guess I think ... VISIT!

anniesaysrelax

Postby anniesaysrelax » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:59 pm

goblue1646 wrote:IN with 72k!!!! super excited :D Emory versus USC, what do you guys think? Never been to Atlanta or Cali....:P

This is the decision I am trying to make and it is proving to be impossible.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:38 pm

tinyone wrote:I'm in the same boat, UGA v Emory. I have in-state at UGA w/ $4k/yr and $54k from Emory. I'm and Emory undergrad and have been working in Atlanta for the past yr and a half. I'd like to stay and both Emory and UGA offer that. UGA is cheaper but w/ $54k Emory isn't so out of the question. I think what might sway me towards Emory is how invested they are in improving their rankings. I know that the undergrad was the same way, their admissions have become so much more competitive than when I applied. However, the law school just doesn't seem to have its act together like the College.

I am also an Emory undergrad, and I just don't really want to be at Emory for 3 more years, because I don't really like it here, but I'll suck it up if it means I'll get a better job coming out I guess.

goblue1646

Postby goblue1646 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:46 pm

anniesaysrelax wrote:

This is the decision I am trying to make and it is proving to be impossible.

it IS!!!! I'm working abroad, which means I can't visit either city before it's time to turn in the deposits. I guess it'll come down to whether USC offers any scholarship money, though I would kind of have an aneurysm if they ended up offering the exact same amount :roll:

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:08 pm

Cali sucks, so Emory of course :)

maximus34998

Postby maximus34998 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:29 pm

tinyone wrote:I'm in the same boat, UGA v Emory. I have in-state at UGA w/ $4k/yr and $54k from Emory. I'm and Emory undergrad and have been working in Atlanta for the past yr and a half. I'd like to stay and both Emory and UGA offer that. UGA is cheaper but w/ $54k Emory isn't so out of the question. I think what might sway me towards Emory is how invested they are in improving their rankings. I know that the undergrad was the same way, their admissions have become so much more competitive than when I applied. However, the law school just doesn't seem to have its act together like the College.

Obviously, for Atlanta UGA and Emory seem to have similar placement, although that seems to be because Emory grads actually have the option to go elsewhere. Also, it looks like pretty soon the cost differences between UGA and Emory are not going to be as great as they are now: --LinkRemoved-- I wanted to share this with everyone because of the UGA/Emory debate that seems to be never-ending.

I am at a state University in Georgia right now, and it seems that the 77 percent tuition hike is all but guaranteed for next year, with huge increases for the next few years. It's just something to consider when weighing Emory (especially with 54/60/66/72k) and UGA (even at in-state prices.)

sebastian0622

Postby sebastian0622 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Does anyone know anything about the graduate housing offered by the University--President Park? They are priced reasonably, but I'm wondering if the shuttles to campus are reliable and have multiple times. Also, what are the clientele like: is the place quiet, mature, etc.? I partied a lot in undergrad, but now I'm an old man with a wife and kid and need something a little more lame and boring!

lgreenbe

Postby lgreenbe » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:25 pm

In w/ 54k!!!! Totally surprised!!!!! Now..... Emory or BC.......

bakiewakies

Postby bakiewakies » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:37 pm

lgreenbe wrote:In w/ 54k!!!! Totally surprised!!!!! Now..... Emory or BC.......

Congrats!
When did you apply/go complete and stuff?

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:38 pm

This really depends on where you want to the work. If Boston/NE, then BC. If mid-Atlantic or southeast, then Emory.

cendien

Postby cendien » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:13 pm

Scholarship letter arrived today. 60k! This is going to make things interesting...

lgreenbe

Postby lgreenbe » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:40 pm

bakiewakies wrote:

Congrats!
When did you apply/go complete and stuff?

Applied 12/8 and Complete 1/11. I know it depends on where I want to practice I just have NO idea about that- thats why I applied to schools all over the place!

bakiewakies

Postby bakiewakies » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:08 pm

I really, really want to call and ask them what's going on with my application. Does anyone have thoughts on whether this is a good or bad idea? Haha.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:10 pm

bakiewakies wrote:I really, really want to call and ask them what's going on with my application. Does anyone have thoughts on whether this is a good or bad idea? Haha.

Call!

They're super nice people at admissions. Theyll give you a pretty solid update. They told me my app just completed its initial review on Friday and will make a decision on me either later this week or early next

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:55 pm

bakiewakies wrote:I really, really want to call and ask them what's going on with my application. Does anyone have thoughts on whether this is a good or bad idea? Haha.

I just called and was told a decision had been made, they wouldn't tell me what it is though.. I'll be home for spring break next week and luckily it will go to my permeant address. Hope it's good news!

bakiewakies

Postby bakiewakies » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:07 pm

I just called. They said my application was "in review, as we speak". I forgot to ask how long it would take to hear a decision. I really hope I get accepted with some sort of scholarship. I want to visit!

orange14

Postby orange14 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:26 pm

ArthurEdens wrote:
ArthurEdens wrote:
ArthurEdens wrote: I noticed that Emory lists cost of living as about $2000/month. Does this strike anyone else as higher than anticipated? Is housing near Emory really so expensive?

That is way too high. That would mean you're spending ~1500 on rent? No idea what portion of that they estimate is for food, going out. I live here and am really picky and had a really cute 1br for $950, and unless you really want to, you would not need to spend more than $1100 on a place. You could also do less with either a studio, an older apt, or a shared apt. When I lived a roommate close to emory we each paid ~$650/month. Atlanta is really affordable.

It may also depend on your transportation needs- public transit is not very convenient and I have never lived in walking distance to Emory (but I have lived in parts of town with similar price points).

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:44 pm

rad law wrote:I am also an Emory undergrad, and I just don't really want to be at Emory for 3 more years, because I don't really like it here, but I'll suck it up if it means I'll get a better job coming out I guess.

What about Emory don't you like, if you don't mind my asking? I applied and I would be interested in hearing someone's perspective who's actually been there!

Good luck on your cycle!

ArthurEdens

Postby ArthurEdens » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:48 pm

orange14 wrote:
ArthurEdens wrote: I noticed that Emory lists cost of living as about $2000/month. Does this strike anyone else as higher than anticipated? Is housing near Emory really so expensive?

That is way too high. That would mean you're spending ~1500 on rent? No idea what portion of that they estimate is for food, going out. I live here and am really picky and had a really cute 1br for $950, and unless you really want to, you would not need to spend more than $1100 on a place. You could also do less with either a studio, an older apt, or a shared apt. When I lived a roommate close to emory we each paid ~$650/month. Atlanta is really affordable.

It may also depend on your transportation needs- public transit is not very convenient and I have never lived in walking distance to Emory (but I have lived in parts of town with similar price points).

Thanks for the inside info. That's what I assumed, but it's always best to hear it from someone with experience. I guess they listed the maximum allowed rather than what is recommended.

Cale39

Postby Cale39 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:53 pm

I just called in to check status of app, they said that decision had not been made. Trying to get decisions out by the end of the month, apparently.

Any idea what this may mean for me? (the fact that I didn't get some customized response aka 'yours is being looked at right now, etc'?)

Complete on Jan 14, 162/3.74

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:31 pm

phoenix323 wrote:What about Emory don't you like, if you don't mind my asking? I applied and I would be interested in hearing someone's perspective who's actually been there!

Good luck on your cycle!

FWIW, none of this probably applies to the law school.

For undergrad, Emory seems to be comprised of many disparate groups that all dislike each other. Also, this is not a southern school; there are tons of NY and NJ people, etc.; the "Jewish American Princess" stereotype is prevalent, along with the guys that chase these girls. As someone from "the South," most people here are just not my type of people. Not bad people, just not my type. Plus, there isn't really anything to bring students together, like a football team or any sports of note. Also, despite being nominally close to Atlanta, it hard to really experience what the city has to offer unless you have a car and are 21.

Basically, many people treat Emory like a glorified trade school. Undergrads come here to be doctors, business people, lawyers, etc., and don't really have a lot of love for the institution itself other than as a means to achieve these goals. This isn't necessarily bad, but it's not really what I wanted out of an undergraduate institution. The education here is great, but the sense of community is notably absent.

All of this has combined to leave a bad taste in my mouth about Emory as an institution. I'm sure the law school is different, but I want to finally go to school at a place where people really love it there.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”